• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Back in the day, I had a huge retro collection. I was a game hoarder with roughly 900 titles spanning across all the major Nintendo, Sega, and Sony platforms - handhelds included, sans Virtual Boy, Sega Nomad, and PS Vita. Even owned an Intellivision briefly before realizing I couldn't handle anything pre-NES. Around 2015 or so, I built my first PC to play Witcher 3, and slowly but surely, became less interested in my retro collection. Moving between apartments and eventually into my current home were the final nails in the coffin and I began to rid myself of all I owned. I made a pretty penny, and was even able to live solely off my sales for some time between jobs. Selling more valuable titles like Trip World, Cubivore, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Bucky O'Hare, etc. certainly helped.

The one console I held onto was my original Xbox due to there not being much of a market for the games, in addition to my own personal nostalgia for the sixth generation of consoles. Say what you will - but I think of Blinx, Halo, Mario Sunshine, Windwaker, Devil May Cry, NHL Hitz, Simpsons Road Rage, and Final Fantasy X... and I get the warm fuzzies. My favorite era of games apart from my beloved SNES JRPGs.

I'd since became a devoted PC player, eventually upgrading to an RTX 2070 Ultra; hooking up the O.G. Xbox for when friends wanted to Halo 2 or Road Rage together. One problem though. The NHL franchise never returned to PC after NHL 09. As a fan of the sport, I missed my hockey games. You can only play NHL 2k6 on the original Xbox so many times before yearning for something a little more modern.

So in early October of this year, I had some cash to spare, and scooped up this great deal on Ebay for $150 USD shipped.

yeI5sMD.jpg

It's the Gears of War 4 500 GB One S. Arguably the best looking console since the purple Gamecube imho. So sleek, simple, and just pretty tbh. Great color. With the games included, I added RDR 2 and NHL 20 w/ a 2tb external to my eBay cart and signed up for GamePass and was ready to go. Through some cheap local deals, I've since amassed a neat little stash to peck away at... and my collecting tendencies have started to kick back in, admittedly. Black Friday certainly didn't help.

giodElB.jpg

With that being said, one game I missed more than any other from the PS3/360 era was Lollipop Chainsaw. I'm a big Suda 51 fan, and he is easily my favorite developer. I view him in the same light a lot of people think of Kojima. Ever since playing Killer7 on Gamecube and Flower Sun + Rain on DS when they released - I was hooked. One problem, Lollipop Chainsaw isn't available for BC on Xbox One (neither is the original Nier - sad but true).

Soooo... I splurged a little more and just bought this 360 which I'm currently waiting on in the mail.

Fr16NN1.png

I couldn't resist. As a PS3/Wii guy, I never got around to 360. I hear the shmups are great as well, and I'm excited to have the middle child included in my little Xbox family. With Scarlett on the way, I'm sure I'll inevitably end up with one of those also.

I just wanted to share this little venture with Era. I rarely make threads here, but felt this was mildly interesting, and believe the Xbox brand deserves all the love it can get right now. It just feels like home to me at this point - plain and simple. GamePass has been a blessing.

While I plan to play what I own for now - what should I keep an eye out for? As I stated earlier, I know Lollipop Chainsaw and the original Nier are both great times. What else do I have to look forward to experiencing on this wonderful machine? It's funny to think that the NHL and Suda 51 somehow led to me becoming an Xbox devotee in 2019.

Tell me about those shmups, fam.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
the 360 was brilliant. The RROD was a pain and I burnt through 2 or 3 360's. Still good times. Have fun chap.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I had that 360, I loved the sounds when turning it on and ejecting the disc tray.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I know virtually nothing about what is and isn't backwards compatible for the Xbox One, but I really respect going so far for Lollipop Chainsaw.
I didn't love it, but it was still fun.

From my own collection and based on your tastes, I might recommend Shadows of the Damned, Never Dead, and Asura's Wrath.

Shadows you have probably already covered, but it's a third person shooter with enough charm and personality to make it worth trying. And Suda / Mikami / Yamaoka team up.

Never Dead is quite flawed, but it has some unique mechanics that are interesting to try. Would recommend playing on an easier difficulty to reduce frustrations with limbs coming off.

Asura is basically playing an anime with QTEs, but it is so over the top and fun. They hid the "true ending" in a dlc purchase, so that's a little absurd. Still worth a look.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a v good console. The upscaler and better multiplats in general assure you'll get pretty decent image quality. Games With Gold is good, the digital Xbox Original games work well on it, and it has the M2 SEGA collections + Guardian Heroes and Virtual On as exclusives.
I would've gone with a later model, but the 360 family is still the GOAT.
Unless you're talking about the manufacturing date with regards to lifespan, the 360 S is better than the 360 E. The E is more cheaply made, and lacks USB ports and an audio out jack.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The S is better than the E. The E is more cheaply made, lacks USB ports and an audio out jack.
I had both and remember really liking the E. Didn't need optical out by 2012 so I can't imagine needing it now. I just would've felt more comfortable buying the most recent version of an older console, particularly for an older console that was infamous for hardware failure.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had both and remember really liking the E. Didn't need optical out by 2012 so I can't imagine needing it now. I just would've felt more comfortable buying the most recent version of an older console, particularly for an older console that was infamous for hardware failure.
It allows you to multi-output the audio - particularly useful if you stream. I can't do that with my E and it requires more work around. The hardware failure issues were mostly cleaned up by the early Elite days, but I hear you. The E also lacks component and VGA out.

OP
OP
deftones r cool
Oct 28, 2017
From my own collection and based on your tastes, I might recommend Shadows of the Damned, Never Dead, and Asura's Wrath.

Yeah I've heard nothing but excellent things about Shadows since around the time it launched. Already ordered that and Killer is Dead... which I never actually beat.

I've heard Asura's Wrath had great action. Looks kind of like God Hand... and Never Dead looks cool also.

Thanks for the recommendations based on my taste. I appreciate it.

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
Check out Black Knight Sword on XBLA (it's from Suda) and PS3/360 exclusive!

You missed most of the exclusive part because XBLIG (small indie games) shut down years ago. There were gems like Score Rush, Super Amazing Bandwagon, Apple Jack and One Finger Death Punch (this one is also on STEAM).

I really like Zeno Clash 1 and 2, but they are on PC. Otherwise they are console exclusive.

Last edited: