• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was better than the majority of the MCU, though that's not saying much. It was stupid but mostly fun with some boring parts in the middle. Would slot it in around 4th or 5th best film if it was in the MCU. Definitely better than all of the Thor movies.

Editors note: I haven't seen all the Thor movies.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How awesome was this whole sequence though:

Aquaman-The-Trench.jpg
this sequence is the one that really stand out to me. that was great. the rest of the movie is just okay, not a very memorable movie for me

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the visuals. Out of everything I thought James Wan nailed that the most.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sight. I don't even know how/where to start.

First of all, the visuals. One of the most fake visuals of current superhero films. Yes, tons of visual effects, but everything looks extremely fake. And not only the CGI, but all the costumes look very costumeish. Even the weapons look very plastic and toy-like.

The underwater scenes. Everything lacks weight... Nothing, absolutely nothing feels like it is underwater. Nothing moves of behave like being underwater.

The soundtrack. What soundtrack? Completely unmemorable. Can you remember a single tune? A few notes? No. No one does, because it is one of the most boring and unmemorable soundtracks ever created.

And the chemistry between Arthur and Mera? Zero. Nada.

The jokes... Oh, my. The jokes/humor feels very tacked on, trying to be similar to Marvel. Arthur sometimes feel like it is trying to emulate Thor's humor, but fails spectacularly.

And what was even the point to include Black Manta? Completely wasted character.

The film is complete garbage. I wasted two hours of my life watching this film.

everything you said is wrong and is the opposite of how I feel about the film.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The first idk hour or so is a but of a slog, but when that pitbull song kicks in the movie just really lets loose with goofy spectacle and it becomes a lot of fun till the end

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty but it was aggressively boring IMO.

The rooftop chase with Manta was cool though.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. It was just sort of light and fun and goofy. I think they realized that you can never really do a "serious" story about undersea cities and mer-people and stuff, so let's just have ancient races and magic tridents and people riding sharks and a long-lost parent trapped in an underground world full of dinosaurs that's never explained or touched on ever again.

I wish I hadn't watched it on an airplane though. There were a lot of huge battle scenes that would probably have looked cool on a bigger screen.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It's a super trashy film but that's why it's so much fun.

It's basically a super crazy space opera adventure.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's eminently more watchable than Thor 1 or 2. It's not great, but it's not bad and is definitely fun.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
It's infinitely more watchable to me than 75% of all the Marvel movies and I own every single MCU movie on Blu-ray.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I actually enjoyed it a lot and thought the visuals were pretty cool. Would go into detail, but I gotta go to bed as I'm sick and I got a busy day at work tomorrow... freaking meetings and shit.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty terrible but the visual imagination on display is impressive. My eyes weren't bored, unlike during Shazam.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Movie was fun as hell. Saw it with my son at the cinema and we both loved it. The movie didn't give a fuck how outrageous and over the top it was. My brain almost tapped out due to sensory overload.

Honestly, it's one of DC's best films and is up there with Wonder Women and Shazam!.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. First movie in years I was mad I paid to see it in the theatre. I wanted to walk out so bad, but went with coworkers so I suffered through the shit.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman was the most fun I had in theaters in quite a bit, by far one of my favorite superhero movies, it's so unapologetically cheesy and it works for me.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Trench sequence was great and felt unlike everything else in the film.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking terrible. Cheesy dialogue and interaction. Disappointed because James Wan has made good movies.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's an OK movie and certainly way better than the series of turds Snyder shat, so probably that's why it was so hyped. That said, it's not memorable at all and I liked way better the villain to Aquaman himself. Patrick Wilson rocks.

The best DC movie is Shazam by a long margin, then WW.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. The spectacle was entertaining. The movie didn't take itself too seriously, but it still managed to be coherent. I'd take it over, say, Venom any day.

Its a shame about the underwater hand -to-hand fight scenes. It was so stupid to have them moving just as they would on land and using tridents like staffs.

Last edited:

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
When did Thor 2 legit become some kind of low benchmark for superhero movies? It's isn't great, I would even call it bad, but there is so much straight up shit like fant4stic or Catwoman out there that are much, much worse than Thor 2.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not great, and the visuals didn't live up to its potential, but it's got way more charm than most of DC's output and it at least kept up the pace throughout. Watched it on a plane ride and was totally satisfied.

When did Thor 2 legit become some kind of low benchmark for superhero movies? It's isn't great, I would even call it bad, but there is so much straight up shit like fant4stic or Catwoman out there that are much, much worse than Thor 2.

I guess because it's the only "failure" of the MCU (Incredible Hulk never gets counted.) but yeah there's so much worse stuff even in the modern superhero movie age you don't have to go back to the mid or late 2000s.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Sight. I don't even know how/where to start.

First of all, the visuals. One of the most fake visuals of current superhero films. Yes, tons of visual effects, but everything looks extremely fake. And not only the CGI, but all the costumes look very costumeish. Even the weapons look very plastic and toy-like.

The underwater scenes. Everything lacks weight... Nothing, absolutely nothing feels like it is underwater. Nothing moves of behave like being underwater.

The soundtrack. What soundtrack? Completely unmemorable. Can you remember a single tune? A few notes? No. No one does, because it is one of the most boring and unmemorable soundtracks ever created.

And the chemistry between Arthur and Mera? Zero. Nada.

The jokes... Oh, my. The jokes/humor feels very tacked on, trying to be similar to Marvel. Arthur sometimes feel like it is trying to emulate Thor's humor, but fails spectacularly.

And what was even the point to include Black Manta? Completely wasted character.

The film is complete garbage. I wasted two hours of my life watching this film.
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Anyway, I'll take some of your bait: The OST had some killer tracks. Both Arthur and Suited and Booted are hype AF:

Also the Blade Runner-esque synth that plays when they first enter the underwater city is great, especially paired with those visuals.

Speaking of the visuals, yeah, there are some weak points here and there. But overall, it's an incredible spectacle.

Aquaman is simultaneously a 0 and a 10

The script is rotten, even though the cast almost pulls it off (Wilson is the MVP here)

The action and visuals are phenomenal though, leagues ahead of most in the genre.

Compare the final battles here and in Endgame (which is absolutely the better film). Endgame's lazy horde mode is a drag, especially considering how great the build up is. Aquaman final battle is dazzling with a great use of color, scale, and a real killer 1v1 fight, something that is unfortunately too rare in comic flicks

… especially the final act. Holy shit, it's balls to the wall crazy and I loved it.

Anyway, I feel like Era mods might consider addressing the "complete garbage" takes that are running rampant on this site. It's getting tiresome.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It felt like an MCU movie . It just had better cinematography , visuals and score .

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fantastic, really need to buy it on 4K i bet it's a looker.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
I'm with you op. After all the love it was getting I was bitterly disappointed and by far the worst super hero movie I have ever seen. Absolute trash.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its the best post Nolan DC movie. I didn't like Shazam and Wonder Woman was okay minus the ending.