• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished a re-watch of the season and despite the inconsistencies with all the actors being in one place, I think it's a pretty stellar season overall. The characters have always been fairly smart bar Charlie, and episodes like the bathroom debate and the me too episode really demonstrate that. I love Frank's use of the constitution in the bathroom episode and his support of Mac in the final season. And I really get a kick out of Charlie's Home Alone episode in the bar.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me very happy to hear as someone that has not watched S13 yet.

This also makes me VERY happy to hear that knowing S13 is finally on Hulu. Thank you OP for this information.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I'm in the 13th season now and will come across this episode soon. I'm expecting to bawl my eyes out because Mac is such an inspiration to me as a Bisexual male.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
This was an incredibly powerful moment, especially if you've watched all the seasons before it. While season 13 is pretty weak, writing around the schedules of the actors, (especially Dennis who was clearly only on set for like 2 weeks) and I don't expect it to get better (now that Mac has that new game dev show with the same production team alongside Dennis' show and Charlie's acting) I can say it was all worth it alone for this scene let alone the other good parts.

It's strange tho, if this was the ending of the show I'd say it had a good ending but it isn't. The other few seasons out the last few years also had finales that felt like a final episode like the gang dies episode. Maybe they are writing every season as if it's the last just in case an actor decides they're done after thst or they aren't renewed

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This was an incredibly powerful moment, especially if you've watched all the seasons before it. While season 13 is pretty weak, writing around the schedules of the actors, (especially Dennis who was clearly only on set for like 2 weeks) and I don't expect it to get better (now that Mac has that new game dev show with the same production team alongside Dennis' show and Charlie's acting) I can say it was all worth it alone for this scene let alone the other good parts.

It's strange tho, if this was the ending of the show I'd say it had a good ending but it isn't. The other few seasons out the last few years also had finales that felt like a final episode like the gang dies episode. Maybe they are writing every season as if it's the last just in case an actor decides they're done after thst or they aren't renewed
Glenn's other show got cancelled, so he may have more time to be on set this season of Always Sunny.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking about it being cancelled as I typed this, the only person I know who saw it said it was trash

It actually wasn't too bad. Glenn played "Jack" as a toned down version of Dennis which kinda worked at times. It's like if Dennis learned lessons.

They added a love interest in season 2 which was pretty underwhelming though.

The real issue is that there wasn't anywhere to go after the initial premise of Jack trying to get revenge on his arch nemesis sorta fizzles out. He's only supposed to be there for one year after all.

In the long run, a few of the students will probably break out into something else like Allisyn Ashley Arm which should be fun to see. I could see Aparna Brielle and Spence Moore doing some stuff too.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
IASIP always had subtle and not so subtle social commentator. It will never get it's due respect because it's easy to look pass that with it's crude humor, but damn that scene knocked it completely out the park.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I cried during the performance. The show is all about laughs, but in all of that you got to know Mac and his inner struggle. The show has always made light of it, but in this one it was the revelation that the kid you've been laughing at has been in agony internally the entire time. The whole scene was stunningly beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I think I teared up when I first saw that scene. Completely unexpected, poignant, never switching to a cheap laugh. Knocked it out of the park.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The latest season wasn't one of their strongest but it honestly is all worth the build up for what is probably in my top 5 episodes, which isn't even a comedy (except Frank's head nearly exploding). Mac finds his pride, was such an unexpected great episode.

It's why it's such a great show, crass, over the top humor, but never at the expense of anyone but themselves, yet can still put out great social commentary like this.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Only watched the episode pretty recently but yeah, it's fantastic.

Easily the weakest season but for a show of its type to not only play it straight but go all out for it is so ballsy. Wouldn't be opposed to the show trying to tackle something seriously again, because this clearly came from a passionate place.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The final scene made my cry. It was so beautiful, so elegant, so powerful. I didn't know how else to respond. So proud of RCG

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's Always Sunny has really changed from where I left it. That was a beautiful scene.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of my favorite moments on TV ever.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think a lot of people don't give this show credit for recovering from the Dayman popularity boom/bust. The show seemingly peaked with the Dayman season, and they did the whole tour of theaters with Dayman stuff and all of a sudden the show had sponsors like Coor's and everything felt contrived and awful in the proceeding seasons. They lost their way and it seemed like it was going to be a classic jump the shark moment and they would be done. They took time, re grouped and did a great job of bringing the show back to what made it great while also opening up to much more risky and "out there" episode story lines that didn't make the mistake of just being a silly premise, but were driven by the core character personalities they developed through the years.

I agree that it feels like Sunny, had a phase where it was only getting worse, but the fact that they recovered, something that almost never happens with comedy shows was wildly impressive. They could have gone the Chapelle Show route where the popularity and hype suffocated it and just quit before it got even worse, but they managed to put out some of their all time best work post Dayman popularity peak. In addition to the this wonderful finale, the Charliework episode from a season or two previous, was probably one of the most expertly written, directed, and acted episode of a comedy show ever.

Reading your post reminded me of "The Night Man Commeth!". What a classic episode! Out of curiosity I googled it, and that episode was released in 2008!!! I had just turned 20 years old... Man, what a blast from the past! I had no clue it had been that long since the episode first premiered. Jesus, where does the time go!

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if you haven't watched it you all missed out on an amazing lead up and ending.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was really impressed with DeVito's facial expressions, they're quite expressive and genuinely non-insane and sympathetic.

And damn, the dance itself is quite impressive between the choreography and music choice.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I was really impressed with DeVito's facial expressions, they're quite expressive and genuinely non-insane and sympathetic.

And damn, the dance itself is quite impressive between the choreography and music choice.

DeVito is a fantastic actor and always has been

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's such a great episode and moment. If someone had told me I'd be crying at the end of a It's Always Sunny episode I'd think they were crazy.

I enjoyed the 13th season. I really liked the escape room episode. When they all start chanting "Art of the deal" and talking about head cows I laughed so much.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished a re-watch of the season and despite the inconsistencies with all the actors being in one place, I think it's a pretty stellar season overall. The characters have always been fairly smart bar Charlie, and episodes like the bathroom debate and the me too episode really demonstrate that. I love Frank's use of the constitution in the bathroom episode and his support of Mac in the final season. And I really get a kick out of Charlie's Home Alone episode in the bar.

Yeah it's a nice season to binge. Mac's arc really sits at the center and percolates throughout into the finale. As this thread proves - it's an incredible finish too.

There were some really clever episodes this season. Rob has grown as a writer.

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
That was good. Next season, I hope Frank is exactly the same except now he's overly protective and proud of Mac. >_>

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's a little late to the thread, but I finally got around to binging the show with me SO, and we were both crying for like 20 minutes after the episode ended. What a god damn great ending to the season.

It blows my damn mind that they've not been nominated for this season at all.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif
DeVitto deserved an oscar for this scene, I don´t care it´s tv,

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hasn't watched the series, the 13 seasons are frightning to me. That is a lot.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't watched the series, the 13 seasons are frightning to me. That is a lot.
Eh, longer shows with less consistency are watchable. 13 seasons of Always Sunny is a joy. Definitely watch it. Also like people say you can skip season 1 on your first go around, and check it out later if you're still interested.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty crazy. I kept waiting for a joke at the end, and then the credits started. I teared up a bit.

Rob McElhenney killed it with the dance. Not at all expected. Kylie Shea was also perfect. Ended up watching a bunch of her videos on YouTube afterwards.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
It's pretty crazy. I kept waiting for a joke at the end, and then the credits started. I teared up a bit.

Rob McElhenney killed it with the dance. Not at all expected. Kylie Shea was also perfect. Ended up watching a bunch of her videos on YouTube afterwards.

I thought they were parodying something after the Home Alone episode, but darn, that was so unexpected and excellently done. Danny DeVito elevated that sequence with his great acting.