• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Complete overreaction.

Let's look at the worst that can happen here:

1. You punch him, knock him out, hits head on the table, suffers a severe head injury, brain damage, or worse..death.

2. You get charged with battery, manslaughter, or murder.

3. Trump supporters family, sues you into bankruptcy.

4. You miss with the blow, or it just glances, and the trump supporter defends himself and you get the holy hell beaten out of you.

5. If number 4 happens to you then Trump supporter faces no consequences because it was in self defense.

I think if any politician gets a person so heated that they want to carry out violence on someone, then I think it may be time to start focusing on something in your life other than politics.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
On one hand that's not a normal reaction.

On the other hand I know you actually didn't feel the urge to punch and are just venting your frustrations.

On the other, other hand this topic would be much more interesting if you had punched him.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is normal though. There's likely a spectrum for anger and feeling the urge to physically assault someone over a t-shirt they are wearing is not on the normal end. I get that the t-shirt represents bad things to you, but that doesn't change this.

You never fantasize about doing questionable things you'd never act on

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You never fantasize about doing questionable things you'd never act on

The goal post has been moved.

I've never wanted to assault someone for their choice of t-shirt or bumper sticker political slogans, no. Of course that has robbed me of a chance to make a forum post about it too.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
I think if any politician gets a person so heated that they want to carry out violence on someone, then I think it may be time to start focusing on something in your life other than politics.
The goal post has been moved.

I've never wanted to assault someone for their choice of t-shirt or bumper sticker political slogans, no.

This thread is constantly disingenuous lmao. Just keep dismissing this as nothing but a political slogan or a difference in opinion

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've never punched anyone and even gotten in a fight in my 40 years on this planet. But here I am, eating in my favorite Indian joint where I see a guy and his family enjoying the delicious tandoori chicken. As I walk by I see he's wearing a shirt that says "Trump 2020, Make liberals cry again." It was at this point that had to tell myself not to lay hands on him. I was actually considering the consequences!

I don't know what came over me. Whatever it is, it's not good. Has anyone else had this reaction to a trump supporter IRL?
What would be the point of doing that?

No, I've never had that reaction or feeling to. Besides growing up and living in TEXAS you see a lot of Trump supporters. I got much better things to do than to start confrontations with all of them

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I vividly fantasise about brutally murdering people for relatively minor slight if I'm in a bad mood, OP. Emphasis fantasy. You're good OP, just as long as you remember to keep it as fantasy.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
All of these and all of them like that are extremely disingenuous, by the way.

It is not about the shirt, the literal article of clothing, its about what it represents. Its baring a symbol of white supremacy with pride
What about people with Che or Mao t-shirts? Soviet Union hats? Punch em all, eh?

Wearing something doesn't give anyone permission to assault you.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think its ok to vent and express frustrations but Im glad you didnt act on it

Trust me. You arent alone being filled with rage towards these people

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is constantly disingenuous lmao. Just keep dismissing this as nothing but a political slogan or a difference in opinion

It's what it is imo.

Maybe this guy is totally jacked up b/c he believes (right or wrong) that Trump has save the economy, his particular business sector, whatever. But if he's wearing the shirt he's automatically a Nazi that deserves to be assaulted.

People support political candidates for all sorts of reasons and despite the fact that there may be a huge spectrum of unsavory/unethical that goes with a particular candidate that may offend you, we don't get to go around beating them up.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Holy shit.

I guess his shirt worked.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he purchased it, and decided to wear it.

Breathe. Calm down. It's a shirt.

And you got hooked right into his trap

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
What about people with Che or Mao t-shirts? Soviet Union hats? Punch em all, eh?

Wearing something doesn't give anyone permission to assault you.

A: the op did not punch anyone

B: false equivalence

It's what it is imo.

Maybe this guy is totally jacked up b/c he believes (right or wrong) that Trump has save the economy, his particular business sector, whatever. But if he's wearing the shirt he's automatically a Nazi that deserves to be assaulted.

People support political candidates for all sorts of reasons and despite the fact that there may be a huge spectrum of unsavory/unethical that goes with a particular candidate that may offend you, we don't get to go around beating them up.

and yet even if he voted for trump because of the economy, he is still supporting a candidate that claims all mexican immigrants are rapists

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
The people telling OP to seek professional help over a compulsion that he had and did not act on need to get their heads out of their asses.

People have compulsions to do bad things every now and then, and the mark of a person is if they act on it or not. Clearly OP did NOT act on that compulsion. He makes it clear that he has never felt this way before, and that a non-typical situation (the President of the US threatening a member of Congress) pushed him that far.

I get it's comfortable sitting in your chairs tut-tutting the OP for *gasp* giving into emotion for a fraction of the second, but stop acting like you all aren't as human as the OP. Trump supporters want to see other people hurt. They want other people to suffer just because of their skin color, country or origin, religion, etc. OP is perfectly reasonable to get angry over this kind of thing.

The fact that OP did NOT act on the compulsion means the guy is probably just fine. Talking to someone would probably be a good idea, but to go as far as to diagnose him with anger management issues? You're all being disingenuous.

I'm similarly non-violent and have had moments of anger flare up like that. It happens. We're all human. People acting like they have the moral high ground over OP need to grow up, themselves. At least OP is connected enough with reality to understand what that t-shirt represents.

It's what it is imo.

Typical response of someone who feels they have no skin in the game. SUPPORTING FASICSM IS NOT NORMAL. What will it take to drill that into your head? I guess it's comforting to pretend that all of this is business as usual in politics? You're deluding yourself. Holy shit, do you watch the news at all? Trump is not just any other politician. How hard is that fact to understand?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The people telling OP to seek professional help over a compulsion that he had and did not act on need to get their heads out of their asses.

People have compulsions to do bad things every now and then, and the mark of a person is if they act on it or not. Clearly OP did NOT act on that compulsion. He makes it clear that he has never felt this way before, and that a non-typical situation (the President of the US threatening a member of Congress) pushed him that far.

I get it's comfortable sitting in your chairs tut-tutting the OP for *gasp* giving into emotion for a fraction of the second, but stop acting like you all aren't as human as the OP. Trump supporters want to see other people hurt. They want other people to suffer just because of their skin color, country or origin, religion, etc. OP is perfectly reasonable to get angry over this kind of thing.

The fact that OP did NOT act on the compulsion means the guy is probably just fine. Talking to someone would probably be a good idea, but to go as far as to diagnose him with anger management issues? You're all being disingenuous.

I'm similarly non-violent and have had moments of anger flare up like that. It happens. We're all human. People acting like they have the moral high ground over OP need to grow up, themselves. At least OP is connected enough with reality to understand what that t-shirt represents.

Typical response of someone who feels they have no skin in the game. SUPPORTING FASICSM IS NOT NORMAL. What will it take to drill that into your head? I guess it's comforting to pretend that all of this is business as usual in politics? You're deluding yourself. Holy shit, do you watch the news at all? Trump is not just any other politician. How hard is that fact to understand?
OP had the strongest urge in his 40 year life to punch a dude for a shirt. LOL that's normal right?

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
OP had the strongest urge in his 40 year life to punch a dude for a shirt. LOL that's normal right?

Nice job ignoring what I wrote and most of this thread.

What do you get out of pretending that the OP was responding to an article of clothing and not what it represents? Does it feel good to ignore that images and words are symbols that signify ideas? I don't get it. Why are you playing dumb to chastise the OP?

Gamonbozia

Feb 25, 2019

Exactly. These are the same people who if Hitler were rising to power, would sit around and do nothing. You dont defeat these people by being nice and talking with them. We need to be strong, if people dont stand up to these nazis they will gladly murder all those of non-white ethnicity. These people literally want 1940s Germany all over again, yet there are people in this thread saying violence isnt the answer. LMFAO. Get real. Being punched for supporting that racist pos isnt enough.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
If you've not had a fight in 40 years, starting now would be a bad idea. What makes you think you can throw a decent punch anyway? It's not as easy as the movies make it look.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Exactly. These are the same people who if Hitler were rising to power, would sit around and do nothing. You dont defeat these people by being nice and talking with them. We need to be strong, if people dont stand up to these nazis they will gladly murder all those of non-white ethnicity. These people literally want 1940s Germany all over again, yet there are people in this thread saying violence isnt the answer. LMFAO. Get real. Being punched for supporting that racist pos isnt enough.
So you mad at the op for not going through with it?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of these and all of them like that are extremely disingenuous, by the way.

It is not about the shirt, the literal article of clothing, its about what it represents. Its baring a symbol of white supremacy with pride
Dude is sitting there, eating with his family, doing nothing. Attacking him for a stupid t-shirt is stupid. Simple as that.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Dude is sitting there, eating with his family, doing nothing. Attacking him for a stupid t-shirt is stupid. Simple as that.

This is preachy, but have you thought about how this guy is advertising his support for a monster who makes sure that families much like his own can't sit together and enjoy a meal just because of the color of their skin? Because they came to the US legally seeking asylum?

I'm not saying OP should punch this guy. I'm saying that I find his anger understandable.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, this thread. Pretty interesting seeing a bunch of, "It's just a shirt, seek help!" when it's not just a shirt.

I don't blame you at all OP. If that guy had the opportunity to kill you and all the people you love, he'd do it. He'd probably happily do it too.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is preachy, but have you thought about how this guy is advertising his support for a monster who makes sure that families much like his own can't sit together and enjoy a meal just because of the color of their skin? Because they came to the US legally seeking asylum?

I'm not saying OP should punch this guy. I'm saying that I find his anger understandable.
Of course his anger is understadable. Dude is wearing a stupid shirt to mock other people. I'm talking about the punching part. Which is stupid.
You know as well as everyone else that it's not about a shirt. Stop being disingenuous.
Dude is a jerk, as it looks like, wearing a jerk shirt to mock people. Still no reason to punch a man who's doing nothing while eating in an indian joint. Punching him = stupid.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There's a guy in my neighborhood who drives a minivan with giant trump and Jesus stickers and an American flag and Bible verses. He also wears a straw hat and shades at all times.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Don't listen to arm-chair therapists, OP. Anger is a gift.

If you see someone wearing a Swastika, you should feel the urge to punch someone in the head. Wearing the icons of modern Fascism should give you the same reaction

Thank god there are some posters in here with sense. I thought for a second while I was reading this that I transferred into opposite world.

Actually no, I think that I would take that back -- if this violence were irrational it would mean that children who were born south of the border weren't being thrown in cages or concentration camps, that the sitting president wasn't egging on violence against his political opponents who were Jewish or Muslim specifically, etc. That is a much better timeline

OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a middle aged, Jewish blue dog Democrat who thinks Congresswoman Omar couldn't be more correct in her analysis on middle eastern politics.

Maybe I could stand to lay down on someone's couch and talk about my feelings. LOL.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Today a woman at the place my wife was getting her car serviced was wearing a white Make America Great Again! hat. I had seen her and didn't mind/care for it but my wife on the other hand was seething, I had to tell her to calm down and reminded her that she was probably wearing it to incite those types of reactions. Especially since, we were in Alhambra (California) which is predominantly a Hispanic/Asians city.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the urge to punch people in the face but there's at least once a day I want to punch someone in the knee.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Wow, this thread. Pretty interesting seeing a bunch of, "It's just a shirt, seek help!" when it's not just a shirt.

I don't blame you at all OP. If that guy had the opportunity to kill you and all the people you love, he'd do it. He'd probably happily do it too.

I disagree with you on that. Unless there's a layer of abstraction. Cowards like t-shirt guy can't stomach having to actually do the deed, but they'll happily let it happen or watch it happen as long as there's enough separating them to give themselves plausible deniability. He can still tell himself at the end of the day that he's a good person as he puts his kids to bed and kisses his wife goodnight.

Like the Milgram Experiment.

That's why these cowards find it so easy to vote for someone like Trump. They can look at kids in cages and make excuses like, "Well, they broke the law!" or "They're not really cages!" and so on. People who feel the need to wear t-shirts like the OP described are truly pathetic.

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit. I'm liberal but people like this need to chill the fuck out. Trump sucks but it's a goddamn shirt.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Of course we all have skin in the game. He's also got free speech, but are we not ok with that if we don't like the message?

He's not sporting a message on the shirt that directly implies anything that would rise to the level of hate speech. It's just a shirt.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
So, basically you want a civil war, or at least open violent hostility against anyone who publicly supports Trump.

Because that's totally what I said. Why are you even responding without reading the thread?

Of course we all have skin in the game. He's also got free speech, but are we not ok with that if we don't like the message?

He's not sporting a message on the shirt that directly implies anything that would rise to the level of hate speech. It's just a shirt.

SUPPORTING A FACIST IS SUPPORTING FACISM

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

But would you actually just walk up to this dude in the restaurant and punch him though?

Like seriously would you?

I ain't defending the guy in the shirt but if you're suspicious of posters opposing assaults on strangers then you gotta walk the walk. You can't call someone out for not wanting to hit the guy if you kniw you yourself would hold back from hitting the guy.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
When I read posts like the op's I feel like the poster needs to grow up.

Those who post online about "nearly" or wanting to punch people are the least likely to ever have the nerve to go through with it. It's just posturing for attention.

There are far more effective ways of opposing Trump than throwing a shit punch at an idiot in a restaurant. What do you really think you're going to achieve? The most likely outcome is getting hit back.

Oct 27, 2017
He's also got free speech, but are we not ok with that if we don't like the message?

Stahp.

Someone pointing, laughing, punching or tossing a pie at someone has no bearing on your free speech, because in the US the term is specific to interactions between citizens and their governments. Douche-canoe t-shirt guy said/ displayed exactly what he wanted. OP talking about his feelings anonymously on the internet didn't stop this oxygen thief from doing a single thing.

Do you believe that Free Speech never has consequences between two people?

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
But would you actually just walk up to this dude in the restaurant and punch him though?

Like seriously would you?

I ain't defending the guy in the shirt but if you're suspicious of posters opposing assaults on strangers then you gotta walk the walk. You can't call someone out for not wanting to hit the guy if you kniw you yourself would hold back from hitting the guy.

So, why are you responding and assuming my positions without reading the rest of my posts throughout this thread?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
SUPPORTING A FACIST IS SUPPORTING FACISM

So what is your point exactly? If we don't want to attack the guy in the shirt we're supporting fascism? If we don't actually attack him?

Or just that violence is a normal reaction to someone who you believe supports fascism?

The bottom line is that the root of all this has to be handled through a peaceful process. Moving on to violence as a solution is pretty tough to come back from at all levels. It's not a normal reaction and the people who think the guy got what he was fishing for are probably right.

Do you believe that Free Speech never has consequences between two people?

I think that when you attack someone and try to cite the message on his shirt as your defense it's not going to get you very far. Do you believe this is incorrect?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
So, why are you responding and assuming my positions without reading the rest of my posts throughout this thread?

No, I agree with your post on what the shirt represents.

But I am assuming you've probably seen people like this before and haven't punched them. So you surely understand the reason that other posters are adverse to the idea of hitting this guy if he isn't immediatly trying to is instigate anything.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017

And this is how fascism gets a pass as it continues to fester and ruin lives. Wonderful.

When I read posts like the op's I feel like the poster needs to grow up.

Those who post online about "nearly" or wanting to punch people are the least likely to ever have the nerve to go through with it. It's just posturing for attention.

There are far more effective ways of opposing Trump than throwing a shit punch at an idiot in a restaurant. What do you really think you're going to achieve? The most likely outcome is getting hit back.

I commend you, o logical one, for you cannot even fathom the experience of momentarily becoming overcome by your emotions. No, you are always 100% logical in handing all situations and you consider all of these logical arguments you have described in your post in any and all moments, no matter how brief. No matter what outside events may have affected someone like OP in such a way as to make him more likely to respond to a t-shirt like this particularly aggressively.

Who isn't trying to get attention when they're making a post? OP wanted to share this experience that he found disturbing. I don't really see that as unreasonable. Especially since OP already explained that he did NOT hit the guy. He just felt an irrational urge for a moment based on an emotional response. In other words, OP is a human being.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
And this is how fascism gets a pass as it continues to fester and ruin lives. Wonderful.

I commend you, o logical one, for you cannot even fathom the experience of momentarily becoming overcome by your emotions. No, you are always 100% logical in handing all situations and you consider all of these logical arguments you have described in your post in any and all moments, no matter how brief. No matter what outside events may have affected someone like OP in such a way as to make him more likely to respond to a t-shirt like this particularly aggressively.

Who isn't trying to get attention when they're making a post? OP wanted to share this experience that he found disturbing. I don't really see that as unreasonable. Especially since OP already explained that he did NOT hit the guy. He just felt an irrational urge for a moment based on an emotional response. In other words, OP is a human being.

I never claimed to be above anything. Wind it in.

I get lots of urges everyday. Be thankful I don't rush to share them all with you.