• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You know very well that none of that would hold up in any sane court of law, which is exactly where the OP would find himself if he had given into his violent impulse.
Yep, that would have likely been the situation he would have found himself in. The "justice" system isn't exactly a nuanced or impartial arbiter, they would of course not take any of that into consideration. OP did the right thing for himself by not doing what he wanted to do.
Wearing a Trump t-shirt isn't a provocation that justifies violence. If you think so that you are unhinged.
I mean, I explained how it is though.
For a gay person, that person wearing that shirt wants to deny your humanity. For an immigrant, that person wants to deny your human rights. For a black person, that shirt says you don't give a shit about them. For a woman, that shirt says you support sexual assault. For anyone who cares about those groups, that shirt is a direct affront to not only basic values, but it's an attack on your friends. It's not just a shirt, they chose to wear it in order to provoke those feelings from people and to peacock to the world about what a piece of shit they are, and that doesn't stop just because they need to eat.
The shirt is absolutely meant to provoke people, going so far as to say they want to "make liberals cry".

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
You know very well that none of that would hold up in any sane court of law, which is exactly where the OP would find himself if he had given into his violent impulse.

Except.....and this has been repeated ad nauseam, he didn't. Having violent thoughts is not a problem. I don't why people are so hung up on it.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except.....and this has been repeated ad nauseam, he didn't. Having violent thoughts is not a problem. I don't why people are so hung up on it.

Because he made this thread... in which he said he came close... in which people are supportive of not just his violent impulse, but are also implying that violence is the way to go.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Because he made this thread... in which he said he came close... in which people are supportive of not just his violent impulse, but are also implying that violence is the way to go.

Right, he came here to get his violent impulses validated by some keyboard warriors and he got it.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

So what if he came close? There are probably millions that do every day but don't act on it.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
This reminds me of that story where of that Vaping shop cashier who got fired from his job because he got trolled by a trump supporter into lashing out on him on camera....you are giving what these guys want.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You explained how the shirt represents hateful political stances. You didn't explain how someone wearing the t-shirt justifies someone violently attacking them.
What I was trying to say is that the shirt is a deliberate provocation, not getting into whether any given response is justified or not.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
There you go again... Why were you beating around the bush about advocating for outright violence?

Wearing a Trump t-shirt isn't a provocation that justifies violence. If you think so that you are unhinged.

And what are you suggesting, that violence is justified in the name of progress? Should we round up the 62 million people who voted for Trump and execute them by firing squad? Sentiments like this are very detrimental to actual progress. You aren't helping the cause by being edgy online.

I'm not advocating for violence. I'm saying that claiming that 'violence is never the answer' is objectively wrong and shows an extreme denial of how history has actually -gone-. Violence is the nuclear option. I wish it didn't have to happen, but well, riots are the the language of the unheard. Sometimes, regrettably, violence IS the only answer.

And way to strawman again, lol. I don't know what's 'edgy' about saying that I can't judge someone for getting angry and attacking someone baring a symbol that represents an attack on their being. It isn't the -ideal- solution. I'm not 'advocating' for punching the guy in the head. But if he were to get punched he literally got the reaction he intended to get from this..

If you talk shit, or wear a symbol representing hate, and you get hit, well, they -actively- provoked someone, so I've got approx zero pity for them.

Whether it's justified or not is completely irrelevant to anything I'm saying. The point is that he literally -was- provoking people.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've never punched anyone and even gotten in a fight in my 40 years on this planet. But here I am, eating in my favorite Indian joint where I see a guy and his family enjoying the delicious tandoori chicken. As I walk by I see he's wearing a shirt that says "Trump 2020, Make liberals cry again." It was at this point that had to tell myself not to lay hands on him. I was actually considering the consequences!

I don't know what came over me. Whatever it is, it's not good. Has anyone else had this reaction to a trump supporter IRL?

That's an overreaction.

You go to jail, fuck up your life and he is still
Voting for trump.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I am misreading the exchange? I said wearing the t-shirt isn't a provocation that justifies violence. You replied by saying yes it is.

So now you are saying that it doesn't justify violence?

op was either trolling or this is the most pathetic attempt at praise that i've ever seen. nothing about the OP is genuine.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm not advocating for violence. I'm saying that claiming that 'violence is never the answer' is objectively wrong and shows an extreme denial of how history has actually -gone-. Violence is the nuclear option. I wish it didn't have to happen, but well, riots are the the language of the unheard. Sometimes, regrettably, violence IS the only answer.

And way to strawman again, lol. I don't know what's 'edgy' about saying that I can't judge someone for getting angry and attacking someone baring a symbol that represents an attack on their being. It isn't the -ideal- solution. I'm not 'advocating' for punching the guy in the head. But if he were to get punched he literally got the reaction he intended to get from this..

If you talk shit, or wear a symbol representing hate, and you get hit, well, they -actively- provoked someone, so I've got approx zero pity for them.

Whether it's justified or not is completely irrelevant to anything I'm saying. The point is that he literally -was- provoking people.
Violence is often the answer in the face of opposing violence, yes. Violence is not the answer in the face of a guy eating a burrito while wearing a t-shirt that makes you angry.

A fat dumbass wearing a Trump t-shirt isn't exactly a call to arms on the level of the French Revolution.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Maybe I am misreading the exchange? I said wearing the t-shirt isn't a provocation that justifies violence. You replied by saying yes it is.

So now you are saying that it doesn't justify violence?

I said it's a provocation and tried to present why the OP (or anyone) would feel how they felt, I'm not going to get into my personal and subjective feelings on what is justified or not, that's a whole other thing that has nothing to do with the OP.
op was either trolling or this is the most pathetic attempt at praise that i've ever seen. nothing about the OP is genuine.
FWIW, it's a real shirt:
A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C71+4D2J1zGL.png%7C0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0._UX522_.png

UF_C Is this the shirt?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of appreciate that the white supremacists are self-identifying these days.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're not scoring any woke points for pointing that history is full of violence that has resulted in big chances in society. That doesn't change the fact that we, as a society, need to not turn towards violence if at all possible. It is the nuclear option as you point out. It's what happens when all else breaks down. Anything goes after that point and most people don't want that.

I don't think you can say that you are not advocating for violence while also being a tough guy saying crap like, "talk shit, get hit" in regards to someone wearing a provocative t-shirt.

I said it's a provocation and tried to present why the OP (or anyone) would feel how they felt, I'm not going to get into my personal and subjective feelings on what is justified or not, that's a whole other thing that has nothing to do with the OP.

What's up with you and the performative wokeman wanting to beat around the bush on your real feelings on whether or not violence would have been justified?

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That doesn't change a damn thing that we, as a society, need to not turn towards violence if at all possible. It is the nuclear option as you point out.
I don't think you can say that you are not advocating for violence
As you pointed out yourself, they said it was a last resort option. They also said they were not talking about it being justified or not. They were commenting on the provocation.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
They also said, "talk shit, get hit" in regards to this incident... Doesn't sound like they really think it's a last option, but more like an appropriate first response.

No, just a reasonably expected consequence to baring a symbol of hate speech, which will lead to me having just about zero empathy with the victim.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
After I overheard my grandma tell her friend over the phone that she supported Trump, you better believe I knocked her down then and there and choked her the fuck out.

HATE 👏 IS 👏 NOT 👏 TOLERATED 👏 IN 👏 THIS 👏 HOUSE

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After I overheard my grandma tell her friend over the phone that she supported Trump, you better believe I knocked her down then and there and choked her the fuck out.

HATE 👏 IS 👏 NOT 👏 TOLERATED 👏 IN 👏 THIS 👏 HOUSE

understandable since you were provoked

my uncle said that although he thought trump was a colossal asshole, he also didn't think he reached the level of human garbage. i told him not good enough and gave him a clean one right across the mouth

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FWIW, it's a real shirt:
A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C71+4D2J1zGL.png%7C0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0._UX522_.png

UF_C Is this the shirt?
come on brah .. now you did it..
he's gonna smash his monitor

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
OP
OP
UF_C

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Right, he came here to get his violent impulses validated by some keyboard warriors and he got it.
No. I knew it was wrong the moment I felt it. I understand the game. I've been in politics for over 20 years. This is the first time I've had a visceral reaction to it and I had to vent. I don't need anyone to validate my thoughts and actions. I'm an adult and know right from wrong. I just had enough for a moment in time that passed as quickly as it came.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
How about instead of violence. Try outwitting them with their own game? Wear a "Fuck Trump. Conservatives can fuck off" T shirt and see if he falls for the bait.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How about instead of violence. Try outwitting them with their own game? Wear a "Fuck Trump. Conservatives can fuck off" T shirt and see if he falls for the bait.
Its time to stop being the nice guys and wear just as nasty shit as they do, and make it worse. Trump supporters are White Supremacists. It's pure and simple. Anyone who supports Trump is a full-blown racist and a mouth-breathing blowhard.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

i dunno, i see trump supporters as inherently irrational to some extent, i dunno if i'd trust that they too would be able to restrain themselves like OP did

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you really need to get yourself into a boxing gym or a grappling mat. Put yourself in a position to emulate what being in a fight is, and not one of those bullshit self defense courses, something where people are actually going hard. You realize really fast how chaotic everything is and how much damage you can inflict and receive in an eye blink. The first time you get knocked down from a punch or get your liver kicked in, you understand what being in a fight can mean. You avoid it like the plague, unless you feel you have no choice.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
i dunno, i see trump supporters as inherently irrational to some extent, i dunno if i'd trust that they too would be able to restrain themselves like OP did
I don't know if i would want an explicit t shirt, but maybe something more subtle would be more effective. Just enough for him to know you hate him, but not enough for the general public to consider offensive.

Gamonbozia

Feb 25, 2019
The bottom line is should you physically attack people that are literal white supremacists. That's the question here. If you support Trump, you really are supporting white supremacy. Everything that he has done so far supports that. If you ask me, violence against white supremacists/nazis is ALWAYS justified.