• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't read comics since probably...2015 or so. But I try to keep up with the goings-on and stories, and I heard about the demise of the Ultimate Universe during Secret Wars.

But now (actually two years ago but how would I know?), Bendis brought back the Ultimate Universe before he left Marvel??? And they haven't done anything with it since?

Man, Marvel editorial is just head-scratching. I liked the Ultimate Universe quite a bit but I understood why they consolidated. Now it's back which is ballsy and cool for Bendis but it's been two years and they did nothing with it since? I don't understand. Was it brought back just as a plot point for Spider Men II?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Franklin out there restoring all the universes?

But yeah, it was cool to see Ultimate Parker and Spider-woman. <3

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The next arc of the Miles Spider-Man book will be Ultimate Universe related and next year is the 20th anniversary, so if they're going to do anything with it will be then.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Ending the Ultimate universe was the best thing that could have ever happened to it.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they grow out of all the edgelord bullshit of the old Ultimate universe, don't bother.

Ultimate Spiderman was the one saving grace of the Ultimate line.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ending the Ultimate universe was the best thing that could have ever happened to it.

Nah, Ultimate Spidey could have gone on forever. Too bad Marvel kept getting Parker and Miles stuck in world ending events every six months. I think it really hurt Miles' first few years. Couldn't have a single arc without getting him wrapped up in some other shit.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTkvNTMyL29yaWdpbmFsL01NX1NfMTBfYV9NYWhtdWRfQXNyYXIuanBnPzE1NjE5OTU4OTU=

He's coming back.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Unless they grow out of all the edgelord bullshit of the old Ultimate universe, don't bother.

Ultimate Spiderman was the one saving grace of the Ultimate line.

I got into comics round 2015, so finding out about the edgelord Ultimate Avengers was a hell of a trip.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marvel comics used to guide the movies, now the movies guide the comics. They're so afraid of taking risks that awesome characters and universes are left to idle while we get the thousandth team up of characters from the movies for a 5 issue arc serial.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember somebody once telling me to try Ultimate X-Men because they fixed Gambit, he was now "darker" and "blows people up" or something.

They didn't do a good job selling me on the comic.

I fucking loved Ultimate Spider-Man. I would have said it was my favorite monthly up until I got into Invincible.

So, I was fucking pumped for Ultimate X-Men. I don't even think I made it through the first trade, it was such fucking shit. I actually own a bunch of the trades I got from a lot on ebay for like $20 a couple of years ago. Still never read them. Maybe someday I'll give it another go.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read comics since probably...2015 or so. But I try to keep up with the goings-on and stories, and I heard about the demise of the Ultimate Universe during Secret Wars.

But now (actually two years ago but how would I know?), Bendis brought back the Ultimate Universe before he left Marvel??? And they haven't done anything with it since?

Man, Marvel editorial is just head-scratching. I liked the Ultimate Universe quite a bit but I understood why they consolidated. Now it's back which is ballsy and cool for Bendis but it's been two years and they did nothing with it since? I don't understand. Was it brought back just as a plot point for Spider Men II?

Some of the characters from the Ultimate universe were transplanted into 616 as well.

You know about Miles.

But Ultimate Reed/The Maker is out there too. He was in a few books already, like Ultimates 2 and more recently Venom.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
what i meant is that they should never even meet at all....

the ultimate universe is supposed to be the condensed, 'easier' and more modern rendition of the heroes without the decades of baggage & history......

mashing them (or at least bringing the popular ultimate characters like miles, sam jackson nick fury, etc) to the 616 universe just complicate stuff and creates even more 'confusion'

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Bendis didn't bring back the Ultimate Universe, that's still dead.

It was a one page homage to a universe similar to it.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Mixed feelings on this idea. Ultimate Spider-Man was my gateway into comics. I still own the full original Peter Parker run of that series. From there, I grew to love some of the Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates runs.

And then Jeph Loeb got his hands on the Ultimates line and ran that shit into the ground, revealing just how much edge lord bullshit was at the core of Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men. Re-reading those old issues in the wake of Ultimatum revealed how much everything besides Ultimate Spider-Man really did suck.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Mixed feelings on this idea. Ultimate Spider-Man was my gateway into comics. I still own the full original Peter Parker run of that series. From there, I grew to love some of the Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates runs.

And then Jeph Loeb got his hands on the Ultimates line and ran that shit into the ground, revealing just how much edge lord bullshit was at the core of Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men. Re-reading those old issues in the wake of Ultimatum revealed how much everything besides Ultimate Spider-Man really did suck.

Ultimate X-Men had some decent runs, but starts and ends terribly. Hickman's run on the Ultimates post Ultimatum was really interesting, but he got pulled off before he could really write a satisfying ending. Pretty much everything else was dreadful.

Ultimate Spiderman really was the major saving grace of the entire line, and has some really great takes on classic characters. Ultimate Aunt May and Gwen Stacey are amazing, and easily my favorite versions of either character. Even Jameson was great, and was allowed the chance to grow and change. Restoring the universe would be worth it just to get those characters back.