• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I am picking the food up myself, i don't leave a tip. I do tip on delivery and dine in though.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always disliked tipping to go, but after working in a restaurant I've seen that the to-go person can get more swamped than the waiters! One person mans the phones and puts all orders together by themselves. I'm not sure what their hourly payment structure is like.

That said I've come to despise tipping and I still hate it when fast food places pull this shit (Johnny Rockets I'm looking at you, also your food was shit.) Can't wait till we just pay a bit more and not have to worry about the gratuity. Also, fuck pizza places that charge "delivery fees" and give zero of that to the driver.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tipping is wack and so American. I can see tipping to go being a thing, they just have to market it right to the proles.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Normally I don't tip unless I'm eating at the place but this time when I was signing my name after paying, I noticed the receipt had a tip section in it but left it blank. WTF? First time seeing this. Since when people are tipping for to-go food?

Tipping culture in the US is getting borderline ridiculous.

Wait a minute, are offended that there is a tip line on a receipt? What's the issue here?

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I never tip on carryout, I didnt sit down where a server took my order, brought me drinks and food and refills. The cooks dont work on tips

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
if there's an option to tip at any estsblishment it probably means the employees don't get paid as much as theyre worth. throw in a couple bucks.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
if there's an option to tip at any estsblishment it probably means the employees don't get paid as much as theyre worth. throw in a couple bucks.
If it's a tip that's not going straight to a server or a delivery person it may also not be going to the employees so

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I never tip on carryout, I didnt sit down where a server took my order, brought me drinks and food and refills. The cooks dont work on tips
i mean they probably get a cut of the tips, yes. especially in places where it's not really a full-fledged sit-down deal and the "servers" are just cooks who have time to hand you your order.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I try to throw something to them if I pick up but how about this scenario: there's a tip jar on the counter, you put something in and either they aren't looking or their back is turned, you sign the receipt and of course it's blank, now you know that they think you didn't leave a tip!
Why? Do you tip when you pick up at McDonald's? They are not doing anything that warrants a tip
They don't allow it there.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they just don't have 2 different receipts between pick-up and delivery since it's a pizza establishment and all. I'm not quite sure what the fuss is about in that

But anyway, I tend to just round up if I'm picking the food up and it's not a cafe.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So because you completely overreacted and can't deal with your own awkwardness, "tipping culture" is now "borderline ridiculous"?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
If it is a place I frequent often, I tip every now and then on to-go orders.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it is a usual haunt, I tip.

That's my rule, basically do $1 for $10-19 orders, $2 for $20-29, $3 for $30-39 etc.

If it's a random spot I'm likely not coming back to for a long time I'll just sign it and leave. I agree that tipping for pickup is stupid but I only get takeout on a regular basis from a few spots so gotta keep my rep up

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Normally I don't tip unless I'm eating at the place but this time when I was signing my name after paying, I noticed the receipt had a tip section in it but left it blank. WTF? First time seeing this. Since when people are tipping for to-go food?

Tipping culture in the US is getting borderline ridiculous.

If you left the receipt blank, call up the restaurant and tell them to tip the driver X amount when they close the receipt.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
You never tip for picking up a freaking pizza. I will sometimes tip 5-10% on pick up orders if it requires allot of packing and especially if it is a more complex order.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
You don't tip for takeout. You're doing the work. Tip for delivery, tip for sit down with a server, tip for "leave your plates and we clean it" places, tip for bringing your food to your table after ordering from a register. But takeout? Not an expectation, or at least wasn't when I was working at restaurants that did it.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Why would you tip with pickup? You received no service. You paid them to make your food and they picked it up yourself.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
1. Tip folks, folks. They're making a shit wage so you don't have to cook for yourself. Share the wealth, baby.

2. Tip cash.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I always tip delivery drivers since they're usually getting the same bullshit sub-minimum wage that waiting staff get, but yeah, I rarely tip if I'm picking it up.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've never tipped if I'm just picking up an order for carryout. You don't have a waiter, and they aren't delivering it to you. Only time I'd consider doing it is if it was a big catering order or something that took a lot of time for them to make.

If it had a place for a tip on there it's probably just because they put it on the receipt no matter what type of order it is.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same as going as going to McDonald's. In other words, I don't tip. If you have it delivered to you or have wait service bring it to you at a table then you should. I always tip my bartender as well. You'll find that there's less ice and mixed drinks are a little stronger next time you order.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'll tip on a pick up if it's an actual sit-down restaurant, with servers, that is mainly "intended" to be eaten at by normal, tip-leaving patrons. But I only tip 2 or 3 bucks for this kind of thing, because while it does take some amount of server effort to load the bag with my food, bring it to me, and ring me up, it's not even close to multi-course serving over like an hour.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't tip carry out. That's madness. Always irks me if I see a tip section on a carry-out receipt.

Tipping is for personalized service. You were the server at my table or delivered my food to my home, you get a tip. If I'm driving my damn self to pick up the food, you get jack shit.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Most good restaraunts split up all tips you're not just literally tipping for the server
Why would I tip anyone else other than server/table cleaner? I'm already paying a higher price for any food I order at a restaurant than I could get anywhere else. My table isn't being cleared. Maybe the only person being stiffed is the dish cleaner?