• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People identify in a lot of different ways, some slightly more unusual than others, but yes otherkin are real.

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like delusion to me.

Not much different than believing that a god personally helped you get a good grade on an exam if you ask me

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Most seem to be teens and while I'm not expert on the subject it seems to me that it tends to be those who don't fit in. Perhaps it's a coping mechanism for that. Just a thought

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Now that is a term I haven't heard in a long time.

Yes, many of them believe it. A lot of them are pagan or wiccan practitioners.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
No disrespect, but it sounds so strange to me if people really believe in that...
I believed in it a while back. Genuinely believed I was a dragon in a past life and shit. It is a big otherkin subculture, dragonkin.

I was also, to be frank, a mess with like 500 different mental health issues. I wanna slap my younger self smh

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
From my understanding, yes, they really do believe they're the same as whatever they kin as. I see it as an emotional crutch, escapism. It seems to be very therapeutic for them to believe they're part of a larger group. They see themselves as outsiders from human society and so attach themselves to a different existence entirely to deal with that othering feeling they have around people.

It's weird, but I think I get it. They're not hurting anybody and they're experimenting creatively with who they want to be in this world, and I can support that.

OP
OP
ADee

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So those who are into that... are not roleplaying?

I just watched down the rabbit hole on the FF7 house and learned about it.

Edit:

I believed in it a while back. Genuinely believed I was a dragon in a past life and shit. It is a big otherkin subculture, dragonkin.

I was also, to be frank, a mess with like 500 different mental health issues. I wanna slap my younger self smh
Interesting, if you want to; would you like to tell me why you started to think that you were one? Why did your younger self come to that conclusion?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Some believe it very much so. An ex-girlfriend of mine very much believed she was a reincarnated faerie.

Some just are just playing around and view it more as "idolized" form stuff.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017

Now you got me all curious. If you don't mind me asking, do you remember how young you made sense of that? Dragons are fictional after all. Did you believe that dragons had actually existed or was it more metaphysical, like how people feel about God? How did you come to the conclusion in the first place? How did it impact your day to day life?

I was about to write it off as a cultural delusion of sort that can happen for troubled young people but wasn't expecting a first hand account. You obviously don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable of course, but I'm hoping this thread is treated as a safe place.

I knew some people into stuff like this back in the 90s.

Based on accounts I read back then, it was a outgrowth from certain people in the pagan and wicca community. It was thought some individuals might have literal fairy blood in their family from the old country. Then, as tends to happen on the internet, a buncha people ran with it and the idea mutated further.

As for how serious people are, back then at least it really varied. Those I talked to seemed to view it as a way to use roleplaying to express their neo-pagan beliefs and worldview. They knew it wasn't likely to be literally true.

Though I got the sense that some people took it very literally, for whatever personal reasons.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, a lot of them do. Everyone believes in something. Please don't let this be a drive-by hate thread. Otherkin aren't hurting anyone. Leave them be.

RinnyBee

Feb 20, 2018
Norman, Oklahoma
Uh.. I'm probably gonna regret this but Otherkin here.

I can't speak for all of them but at least for myself, it definitely isn't roleplay to me. My identity is heavily ingrained in my lifestyle, and impacts me on varying degrees. Do I go out in public and walk around and meow and stuff? No, because I understand that's not a think society would understand or be okay with. But when I'm in the comfort of my own privacy, do I act the way I am comfortable and identify with? Yes.

It's not "really strange", and at least a decent portion of us are relatively cool people. (At least, me and my partner think I'm pretty alright.)

It's an identity like any other and doesn't effect anyone. So what is there to wrap anyone's head around?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If someone wants to have a religious belief or psychological belief that they're some sort of alternative spiritual creature, then that's cool by me, I don't see it as being any different from the Western religious belief around "souls" or the Eastern religious belief around reincarnation. Doesn't bother me or affect me in any way, and so that's cool by me.

If someone wants to make a scientific argument that they're genetically different from other humans, or that other societally accepted ruleslaws do not apply to them because of this religious or pseudo-scientific belief, then that's different.

Also I am a big dumb bird

OP
OP
ADee

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Uh.. I'm probably gonna regret this but Otherkin here.

I can't speak for all of them but at least for myself, it definitely isn't roleplay to me. My identity is heavily ingrained in my lifestyle, and impacts me on varying degrees. Do I go out in public and walk around and meow and stuff? No, because I understand that's not a think society would understand or be okay with. But when I'm in the comfort of my own privacy, do I act the way I am comfortable and identify with? Yes.

It's not "really strange", and at least a decent portion of us are relatively cool people. (At least, me and my partner think I'm pretty alright.)

It's an identity like any other and doesn't effect anyone. So what is there to wrap anyone's head around?

It's hard to wrap my head around since I didn't know anything about it. I also don't believe in any religion or mythical creatures, but I do consider myself agnostic since I can't be sure if I'm correct or not.

If it's cool with you, why do you identify yourself as an otherkin and why a cat? Please only tell if you feel you're comfortable to do it. Is it like a human soul and a cat soul got intertwined or anything like that?

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a hard time with these sort of things because these subcultures are used as examples and jokes to dismiss legitimate medical condition like gender dysmorphia and trans issues.

I don't care these subcultures exist and in a perfect world a lot of these people are harmless in comparison to say anti-vaxxers or "science" bigots (those who use false or outdated science to be racist or homophobic) but at the same time I wish they would stay a fun subculture instead of trying for some legitimate standing because it muddies the water and contributes to the Rachel Dolezal effect.

RinnyBee

Feb 20, 2018
Norman, Oklahoma
It's hard to wrap my head around since I didn't know anything about it. I also don't believe in any religion or mythical creatures, but I do consider myself agnostic since I can't be sure if I'm correct or not.

If it's cool with you, why do you identify yourself as an otherkin and why a cat? Please only tell if you feel you're comfortable to do it. Is it like a human soul and a cat soul got intertwined or anything like that?

Well I suppose it is harder to explain than I thought it would be, as I've never really talked to others about this before. In fact I've rewritten this response a few times.
It started when I was really young. I'm talkin...like 5 or 6. Before then, I was a super strange kid. Didn't like being around people, wasn't very receptive to many things most people are receptive to, did very strange things that I would get scolded before because "big kids don't do that" etc. But I became immensely close and familiarized with animals at a young age. Growing up where I did, it was basically a village, and I found comfort in animals and behaviors of animals far more than I ever found comfort in humans. I began to assume those behaviors as my own, as they felt more..I suppose right to me. My communication was heavily centered around "animal" noises. (ie: chitters, mews, etc) Things that certain animals would enjoy or dislike were identical to my own preferences. Etc. And I suppose identifying as a feline specifically was probably influenced by the fact that, up until late teen years, I never had less than 7-8 cats at a time, and I found comfort and understanding in them. I would sleep in the areas they slept in, I'd sort of talk to them and eventually got to a point where I had a super solid understanding of their body language and behaviors, parroted that, and it grew into something quickly that felt more normal than what I was "raised" to do/believe etc. And too this day, animals react to me/interact with me in ways that they wouldn't commonly interact with people. (inb4 delusional; my partner has had evidence of this as time has progressed, and the few people close to me have as well). And more um...private things I suppose, align heavily with felines. I've never really connected too well with...anyone in life. It never feels right, and I've struggled heavily to feel normal in my own body. I still speak dominantly in feline like noises, I still do very animal-like things, and even my body has adapted to little things here and there that I deal with.

I've seen a psychiatrist and therapist, and they believe it has a part of me experiencing trauma at the hands of people for practically all of my life. At the end of the day, my identity feels right because it's what I've known to feel the most natural, and I probably resonated with cats in particular due to my continued subjection to them through life. It certainly effects things like relationships and normal people things, but I also don't feel too much issue with that. The people most important in my life have accepted it, so that's what matters. My bf has even gotten so comfortable with it that he treats me as what I identify as.

I have NO IDEA if any of that was helpful, like I said; the only people who really have ever heard about this in depth are my past psychiatrists and my partner of 3 years. Outside of them, I have a cousin who I've only touched on it with, and that's it. I hope it was helpful at least. Sorry for the long read.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
There are people who believe they are otherkin or identify as otherkin, but it isn't real and shouldn't be treated as such. Things like otherkin are in the same vein as "transracial", that only serve to weaken the actual fight that we have over gender identity in the world.

I have a hard time with these sort of things because these subcultures are used as examples and jokes to dismiss legitimate medical condition like gender dysmorphia and trans issues.

I don't care these subcultures exist and in a perfect world a lot of these people are harmless in comparison to say anti-vaxxers or "science" bigots (those who use false or outdated science to be racist or homophobic) but at the same time I wish they would stay a fun subculture instead of trying for some legitimate standing because it muddies the water and contributes to the Rachel Dolezal effect.

Bingo. It can directly contribute to dangerous, harmful rhetoric.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
look. sometimes you have some feline or reptilian in you. it's not that hard. don't think too hard about it. they're everywhere in every culture.

and we're gonna get you

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Personally as long as their belief is not harming themselves or others I do not care if you think you are something more than you are.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally as long as their belief is not harming themselves or others I do not care if you think you are something more than you are.
Mhmm, pretty much this.

Had a friend years ago who identified as otherkin. I tried to understand it but it's something I've never quite been able to grasp. But if it makes them happy and it's not hurting anyone else I say go for it. Let people be who they are.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I've met some before, though most were in high school and hopefully grew out of it. A friend of a friend is also an otherkin, though he doesn't consider himself one. He's the reincarnation of the prince of the fairies and claims he visits the fairy world frequently.

Some are probably just role playing (mostly people in their teens), but many people are absolutely that delusional. The fact that subcultures form around stuff like this also has an effect of normalizing it for people who should be seeking mental help.
From the outside it seems absolutely hilarious, sure, but it's also deeply concerning. Real mental health issues should not be ignored.

A darker part of this though is that many otherkin that identify as animals (as well as some who are just normal furries, to be fair) do so sexually. It's one thing to act like an animal, but being sexually attracted to animals is not okay and shouldn't be tolerated.

There are otherkin that have no connection to animals or furry culture of course. Anime and video game character otherkin exist too.
The Final Fantasy VII House goes into that a bit.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean - human souls and dragon souls are equally unverifiable. Neither is really any sillier than the other, on the face of it. One is just more common.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What does it matter what the hell other people get up to as long it's not harming anyone?
"What's next, are people going to start saying they're dogs?"

I'm pretty sure we've all heard a similar phrase from someone being a bigot towards a trans person. It leads to rhetoric that is used to downplay or excuse people's bigotry towards trans people.

It is a touchy subject for a lot of people though, as evidenced by an earlier post. It can be wrapped up in mental health issues but that's a portion of the subject I'm not comfortable commenting on, as I'm not a professional and only have anecdotal experience to talk about.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Well I suppose it is harder to explain than I thought it would be, as I've never really talked to others about this before. In fact I've rewritten this response a few times.
It started when I was really young. I'm talkin...like 5 or 6. Before then, I was a super strange kid. Didn't like being around people, wasn't very receptive to many things most people are receptive to, did very strange things that I would get scolded before because "big kids don't do that" etc. But I became immensely close and familiarized with animals at a young age. Growing up where I did, it was basically a village, and I found comfort in animals and behaviors of animals far more than I ever found comfort in humans. I began to assume those behaviors as my own, as they felt more..I suppose right to me. My communication was heavily centered around "animal" noises. (ie: chitters, mews, etc) Things that certain animals would enjoy or dislike were identical to my own preferences. Etc. And I suppose identifying as a feline specifically was probably influenced by the fact that, up until late teen years, I never had less than 7-8 cats at a time, and I found comfort and understanding in them. I would sleep in the areas they slept in, I'd sort of talk to them and eventually got to a point where I had a super solid understanding of their body language and behaviors, parroted that, and it grew into something quickly that felt more normal than what I was "raised" to do/believe etc. And too this day, animals react to me/interact with me in ways that they wouldn't commonly interact with people. (inb4 delusional; my partner has had evidence of this as time has progressed, and the few people close to me have as well). And more um...private things I suppose, align heavily with felines. I've never really connected too well with...anyone in life. It never feels right, and I've struggled heavily to feel normal in my own body. I still speak dominantly in feline like noises, I still do very animal-like things, and even my body has adapted to little things here and there that I deal with.

I've seen a psychiatrist and therapist, and they believe it has a part of me experiencing trauma at the hands of people for practically all of my life. At the end of the day, my identity feels right because it's what I've known to feel the most natural, and I probably resonated with cats in particular due to my continued subjection to them through life. It certainly effects things like relationships and normal people things, but I also don't feel too much issue with that. The people most important in my life have accepted it, so that's what matters. My bf has even gotten so comfortable with it that he treats me as what I identify as.

I have NO IDEA if any of that was helpful, like I said; the only people who really have ever heard about this in depth are my past psychiatrists and my partner of 3 years. Outside of them, I have a cousin who I've only touched on it with, and that's it. I hope it was helpful at least. Sorry for the long read.

Just wanted to say that I found this really fascinating, and I appreciate you taking the time to share it.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
User Banned (3 days): trolling
Are there currently any laws to protect otherkins against discrimination? If not maybe it's time to push for it?

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Otherkin and Agekin are things I just can't believe has nothing to do with mental illness.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
There are people who believe they are otherkin or identify as otherkin, but it isn't real and shouldn't be treated as such. Things like otherkin are in the same vein as "transracial", that only serve to weaken the actual fight that we have over gender identity in the world.

Bingo. It can directly contribute to dangerous, harmful rhetoric.
Hey, no. I'm trans too and I can tell you that otherkin have no effect on trans identities. Transracial stuff does. Otherkin doesn't. Kind of makes me upset to read this coming from a trans mod.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have nothing against it personally...

Except that too often I see these folks try to co-opt acceptance towards LGBTQ folks (aka a scientifically founded orientation) which, well, it just gives more ammo to the slippery slope folks.

OP
OP
ADee

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad that you helped me learn something new about people and if you feel like you belong with the felines and it makes you happy then that is a good enough reason.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey, no. I'm trans too and I can tell you that otherkin have no effect on trans identities. Transracial stuff does. Otherkin doesn't. Kind of makes me upset to read this coming from a trans mod.
Just because you have not seen people use the concept of otherkin to attack trans identity doesn't mean it's never happened, I have those feeling on it since I have seen it used that way a lot from some folks, so yeah it happens and I will assume Sweet Nicole (who is no longer an admin not that it would matter if this is the way she feels) has also seen those arguments used.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

I can tell you it does, and there's plenty of people in this thread echoing the same thing. It might be worth reevaluating your preconception that there is no link between someone identifying as another race or someone identifying as another species. Both are extremely harmful to the fight for gender identity as they are co-opted by others as weapons against gender identity.

Additionally, I'm not staff anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.