• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a little bit of a ramble thread, but i still thought i should make it:

- when crash team racing was announced, i was super excited. i loved the original on PS1, i thought it was a great game with really fun mechanics and really well done course designs.
- at first i was kinda hoping it would be a 1:1 remake of the original, in the same way that the crash and spyro trilogies were done. but thinking about it now that wasn't a realistic thing to want since people expect a lot more content from a kart racer these days than they did back then.
- i followed the news all the way up to the release, the game was shaping up and looking great, and beenox were doing an amazing job with upgrading the courses and the characters. the news of the courses from nitro kart being included was really nice as well.
- the announcement of the deluxe edition with a bunch of extra skins and some early character unlocks was the first bit of news that kinda made me go "..hmmm", but i thought ok, i don't care about skins and stuff anyway and i'll just play to unlock the characters.
- i got the game a few days after launch and played a few hours of the adventure mode (i was playing the switch version). i think my only immediate complaint was the long loading times but that's the kind of things that can get fixed in future updates, the trilogy had long loading times when it launched as well but it's now much better.
- then the update for grand prix was released. i thought "neat" and started playing. but then i realized, there's WAY TOO MUCH to do. that kind of stressed me. i know it's stupid to feel that way over a video game, and i initially thought i wouldn't care about the skins and stuff, but characters and courses were locked behind progression in the tournament as well. as i said, this really stressed me out for some reason, i can't really explain it well.
- while only three grand prix events are currently announced, i saw some datamine stuff that reveal there's a ton of other characters and stuff that will come later. while it's awesome news that the game is getting all these extra post-launch content for free, i just got all weird about it and put my copy up for sale. to me that was my way of just not dealing with the stress and just erasing the problem of feeling like i have some duty to play this game every once in a while for hours in order to unlock the content.

tl;dr: i sold crash team racing nitro fueled because i got stressed over how much content it was getting and me feeling like i have to play hours and hours in order to unlock all of it. i think if there wasn't all this extra stuff in the game i would have kept it and played every now and then and have fun with it.

i fully realize that i'm just being a weirdo about it and none of it makes sense, i was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar? not necessarily selling a game, but deciding to not play a game because they wanted to unlock everything in it but the thought of that stressed them out.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there THAT much to do in Crash?

No never experienced that, at the very least I'd just do the story.

But your thing might speak to a larger issue worth dissecting. Is it just games?

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Just remember that you don't have to do it now, the stuff in this Grand Prix will go back in the Pit stop afterwards, they won't be lost

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the Grand Prix content/unlocks will be available to purchase in the Pit Stop at a later date, so it's not like participating the Grand Prix is a must.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's dumb. There are games that I own that I really want to play, but I can't get over the hump of knowing I could drop 100 hours into them.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i refuse to play certain series because there's so many games in it. that's similar
this is actually why i like series where every game is self contained with new characters that aren't too connected. stuff like smt, persona, ys, ff, etc

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But your thing might speak to a larger issue worth dissecting. Is it just games?
i don't think i've ever experienced something similar before, video game or not.

Just remember that you don't have to do it now, the stuff in this Grand Prix will go back in the Pit stop afterwards, they won't be lost
i thought about that but then i realized they would likely cost a ton of wumpa which you have to grind for, while being connected to the internet, which is pretty annoying in handled mode.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
Is there THAT much to do in Crash?

No never experienced that, at the very least I'd just do the story.

The Grand Prix is structured like a Battle Pass (think Fortnite, with daily, weekly challenges, etc...). You gain nitro points doing these challenges and this fills a nitro bar, unlocking cosmetics and characters (Tawna in this GP). There are 3 tiers: bronze (5000 nitro points), silver (around 15000 i think) and gold (around 45000). The think is, simply racing is not enough to earn nitro (it gives you around 13-15 per race), you need to do these challenges. And the cosmetics are GP limited, when the GP ends, they are gone until Activision decides to add them to the coin shop.

It can be a tiresome grind, specially in the last tier of the GP (gold), specially because some challenges, the ones that give more nitro points, are strange or outright stupid (like win driving backwards). Also, the game kinda forces you to use certain cosmetics for a "nitro boost" that is the only way to gain enough nitro to unlock. This in monthly GPs...can be tiresome even considering it only gives you cosmetics.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this is about a kart racer but yeah, I'm on the verge of doing this for half my PS4 library. My gaming time is becoming limited and I'm a diehard WoW fan. My brain can only handle one big open world with a fuckton of shit to unlock so it stresses me out to have all of these staring me in the face asking to be played (Witcher III, Horizon, Spider Man, etc).

I seriously wish more games went for the less is more approach. "large sprawling game world" isn't a pro for me anymore.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
not necessarily selling a game, but deciding to not play a game because they wanted to unlock everything in it but the thought of that stressed them out.

To say it 'stressed' me out isn't quite right, but Bungie's focus on loading Destiny with a huge number of limited time items that are unattainable through a 'normal' amount of playtime put me right off the series, and I've never been able to rekindle my love of it since.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I get stressed about Monster Hunter World because I fell so far behind with the event quests that I'm far behind on decoration and augment grinding, which means it will be tough to slay behemoth and anything around that challenge level. It prevents me from playing, and prevents me from buying more content rich games. Iceborne will help me catch up if I get back into it when it launches, yeah?

Anyway, the stress is understandable. That stress is why I prefer retro gaming and indie games these days.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm sorry OP but I really don't get why Crash was the game you chose for this. First, courses are not locked behind any paywalls, they're instantly available to everyone with the update. Characters you can get enough coins to get all 4 by playing a couple of matches over the weekend. There's a lot of skins though, that's right.

But it did happen to me with Destiny 2. Every time I want to jump in I just think of the sheer amount of weapons there's in the game and how you basically have to play it like a second job to get most of it.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
i don't think i've ever experienced something similar before, video game or not.

Mario Tennis Aces has the costumes to unlock each month that requires a certain amount of participation points to unlock. That's somewhat similar, as are the co-op game unlocks that if you don't get in that time span, you have to wait until they're back in rotation to unlock.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
This is why I don't play AC games anymore

Yeah I know I don't have to do the 500 question marks, but it annoys the hell out of me

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I understand you OP, some games like Monster Hunter scare me as well.

But what I do is play until I get bored, stop it and come back later if I feel like it.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
i fully realize that i'm just being a weirdo about it and none of it makes sense, i was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar? not necessarily selling a game, but deciding to not play a game because they wanted to unlock everything in it but the thought of that stressed them out.
It's anxiety, I get it. At least you sold it instead of just not playing it like I do...

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
I think is unsutainable that all games take this route of "live services" with limited time content, grindy progressions and things like that. It´s impossible to play everything and, if you consider it, is even worthless because this content gives you nothing special on the long term.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
In a lot of games like this that content is there to give you options, not to present a checklist of things you should accomplish. Just play the parts you enjoy and unlock the characters or skins you're excited about.

This would be like walking into a candy store and worrying about how you're expected to eat all of the candy in the store. You're not. Just pick something you like and have fun.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I like that there will be plenty of new stuff to unlock in CTR well into the future. I feel no need to obtain it all immediately.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I totally emphasize on that...that's exactly the reason I dropped games like Breath of the Wild and Mad Max.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
i thought about that but then i realized they would likely cost a ton of wumpa which you have to grind for, while being connected to the internet, which is pretty annoying in handled mode.
I got you on this one. Playing almost entirely handheld, I may have won 200 coins since I played the game when it came out. I just made my mind, I won't unlock a lot of stuff unless they patch this shit.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
why can't you just play the game and not worry about unlocking anything

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Smart, even better once they sneak loot boxes in like they do with cod every year.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the need to unlock everything. Sounds like OCD OP, I'm sorry.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I kinda stopped playing because of how difficult it was on some of the stages. I have a 100% completion mentality and playing the same stage over and over and over again does not sound appealing to me.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Should have just brought a Turbo Controller and cheesed it.

Worst I've ever seen is Plants VS Zombies 2: Garden Warfare. That game had an insane amount. Take this video showcasing all the corns.

You need to unlock them all after the default one, some rarer than the others. But to unlock them you need the 5 individual parts in the sticker packs (Though the game does at least prioritise character parts and there's packs that garuntee a character)

...Then add to that there are 15 other characters you need to unlock as well (Believe it's 18 now after updates). Each with a similar number of variants that affect gameplay.

...Then add the Cosmetics, which has each cosmetic have silver, gold, diamond and gem variants as well. I believe there's legendary exclusive hats and some Tron style variants aswell

...Then add the taunts on top of that, as well as alternate abilities.

...Then add the consumable plant and zombies you can use as well. Yeah, PvZ GW2 had a ton, and some of it felt very fillery, which was concerning considering that game had a microtransaction store.

CTR doesn't have any microtransactions, thank god.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
That is strange especially as the amount of content is likely a deliberate plan to prevent you from trading in the game

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I got you on this one. Playing almost entirely handheld, I may have won 200 coins since I played the game when it came out. I just made my mind, I won't unlock a lot of stuff unless they patch this shit.

You're meant to get the vast majority of your currency playing online, which has a daily bonus that gives you a x5 coin multiplier for 30 in-race minutes, as well as an additional bonus on weekends that ups that to x10. Placing first on a long track online during the weekend would earn you 800 coins alone.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind grinding but I can't stand timed / limited stuff.

"Get it now or you'll miss it for god knows how long/forever" is not something that entices me.

Forza did something similar with rare cars and it pissed me off.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i feel like i should just avoid GaaS type games from now on, regardless of the monetization, if they have time-limited events and stuff. i already knew this and did avoid games like that, but the reason this happened is because i just didn't know CTR was going to be this kind of a game. this is on me tho, since these updates are free and awesome for most other people.

The Grand Prix is structured like a Battle Pass (think Fortnite, with daily, weekly challenges, etc...). You gain nitro points doing these challenges and this fills a nitro bar, unlocking cosmetics and characters (Tawna in this GP). There are 3 tiers: bronze (5000 nitro points), silver (around 15000 i think) and gold (around 45000). The think is, simply racing is not enough to earn nitro (it gives you around 13-15 per race), you need to do these challenges. And the cosmetics are GP limited, when the GP ends, they are gone until Activision decides to add them to the coin shop.

It can be a tiresome grind, specially in the last tier of the GP (gold), specially because some challenges, the ones that give more nitro points, are strange or outright stupid (like win driving backwards). Also, the game kinda forces you to use certain cosmetics for a "nitro boost" that is the only way to gain enough nitro to unlock. This in monthly GPs...can be tiresome even considering it only gives you cosmetics.
exactly. realizing i would want to do that for hours every month just made me NOPE out of the game

I'm sorry OP but I really don't get why Crash was the game you chose for this. First, courses are not locked behind any paywalls, they're instantly available to everyone with the update. Characters you can get enough coins to get all 4 by playing a couple of matches over the weekend. There's a lot of skins though, that's right.

But it did happen to me with Destiny 2. Every time I want to jump in I just think of the sheer amount of weapons there's in the game and how you basically have to play it like a second job to get most of it.
oh, i thought new tracks were only playable for the duration of the grand prix, and keeping them forever was one of the rewards in the GP. doesn't really matter tho, i still felt like i would feel like i have to go all the way in all the GPs and unlock everything.

You don't have to unlock everything? Can just play it as little or as much as you want.
not sure if saying i have OCD is wrong or not, but usually in games if i like them i feel like i have to unlock everything, and if the unlocks are time-limited or require a lot of grinding that just gives me anxiety. if there's no time limit, i can put them aside without 100%ing, telling myself i'll come back to them later.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
You're meant to get the vast majority of your currency playing online, which has a daily bonus that gives you a x5 coin multiplier for 30 in-race minutes, as well as an additional bonus on weekends that ups that to x10. Placing first on a long track online during the weekend would earn you 800 coins alone.
Yeah I'm aware of that. The thing is that I can't really play at home so my play time is while commuting mostly. So...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the need to unlock everything. Sounds like OCD OP, I'm sorry.
you're probably right. i do have signs of it every now and then but this is the first time where i felt like i have to physically get rid of something in order to feel calmer. i guess i should consider seeing a doctor about it.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
But...you don't have to unlock everything to enjoy the game.
I don't understand how it stresses you out to the point of selling it for that reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I fully understand how you feel.

Back when I used to play online games, GTA Online had a lot of this. If you don't play enough then you will lose on outfits, vehicles and things like that. Later on when the game started becoming much harder to solo I realized I wasn't having fun. All the toxic people like racists or bullies weren't worth the trouble so I just deleted the game and stopped caring. It was full of stress and it was pushing you on to micro transactions which is something I despise. It was the game that broke the camel's back and made me not touch any MP game anymore.

I don't care if they keep adding content (like in AC Odyssey), but to time it? And to make it not possible to get offline? That's a deal breaker right there and will make me not play the game anymore.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason you can't collect currency in offline mode?
they probably don't want people to find a way to hack and get unlimited currency and buy everything, which is weird since it's not like they're selling dlc or in-game currency for real money anyway. i guess this may mean they have plans to add microtransactions in the future.

I don't understand how it stresses you out to the point of selling it for that reason.
i don't really understand it myself either.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I get where you're coming from. Too many games do it these days, I think, structuring themselves around daily/weekly logins that force play rather than just playing when you feel like it. The obvious answer is to just not get sucked into that but from experience it's easier said than done. So many games now treat playing them like a second job and it sucks a bit.

Thankfully I'm now getting to the stage where I just flat out ignore these games, it's just easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.