• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry friend.

I'm here too.

FZTzq2

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am also of the opinion that I don't like animated avatars - seeing as I often recognize people by their avatar. I'd gladly give up the feature if it means that not everyone is changing to radically different avatars all of a sudden.
I expect them to go away, but mine was animated originally and I like going back to it for a little while :)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows if it'll stay like this, but so far it's amazing, every thread I've been in has been of fascinating discourses, barely any fanboying or name-calling, and generally a positive vibe even when talking about bad news. It's gotta mean something that I did like 300 posts in the last 2 months on GAF and here I'm already closing on on the 100.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I've been at the ground level of this sort of thing before, and it's usually very ugly, but this place is full of people being friendly to each other left and right.

That is how you set a great tone for a new place. Every topic I've visited is people fulfilling exactly what it says it's supposed to be, civil discourse. Maybe it's just great moderation, but every thread is welcoming, no one is insulting each other, and the vibe is just generally good.

This may not be much of a cause for discussion in and of itself, but it deserves recognition I believe.

Oh yeah? Well f-

-ine point you're making! : D

Agreed. Some of it is dat new forum smell, but I do feel like it's very sincere and conscious. We all lost our community for a fortunately (thank you ResetEra founders!) short time, and probably have been reminded what's really important (I know I was). : )

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It occurs to me that Shinobi being an admin will probably go a long way to prolong this abnormal level of politeness.

Let's make being polite a habit on here, that includes calling out others for needless snark or overly hostile ways of discussing sensitive topics.
Ooo animated avatars are allowed! :D
What have you done? I was hoping since I hadn't seen anyone use an animated avatar yet that there'd be an unspoken rule of people not using them, but you just HAD to go and open the flood gates, didn't you?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It occurs to me that Shinobi being an admin will probably go a long way to prolong this abnormal level of politeness.

What have you done? I was hoping since I hadn't seen anyone use an animated avatar yet that there'd be an unspoken rule of people not using them, but you just HAD to go and open the flood gates, didn't you?

Hey man, i'm just looking to get my shine on in here for the brief period animated avatars aren't yet disabled.
(I read that the staff are likely to disallow animated avatars soon)

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I hope it stays this way.

What I notice is that there are a few posters that get really into posting. On its own that's not a big deal, but there comes to be a disparity between them and those that want to check in every once in a while. That's where I feel a lot of the hostility/annoyance comes in. I hope something is done to combat that this time around.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017

too late

edit: the avy i just had
5tnu1te-oo-ugh-goo-do04ktg.gif

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I came here expecting to have to throw down with an onslaught of trolls trying to sabotage the site. I've seen maybe two. Everyone has been pretty nice. Even if opinions have differed... Expecting trolls and getting people that are just wrong or that just feel differently about things has been a very pleasant surprise. I don't feel like I need to try and draw anyone out into the light or keep engaging someone until they make a mistake and draw a ban. It feels like we are in good hands, which is a nice feeling.

Everyone here right now feels more ownership of this site and feels more a part of a community than before. That won't and can't last forever but I can sure as shit cherish it as long as it does.

Edit: yes, even blame space.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are too nice to each other, man. Boring ass perfect nice pure forum. Sprinkle a little sin in this bitch. Somebody gotta be this snake and give y'all temptation goddamn.
JK but in all honesty I'm a bit tired of all the "Isn't this place perfect?" threads that have been posted the past week. It comes off as circle-jerky to me. Y'all will say GAF was a dreadful hive of scum and villainy but all in all it was super left leaning. It just reeks of...what's the word? Something like ret-conning history. People left GAF because EL sexually harassed women abused and his mod power. Not because the site was going down the shitter. And if you believe it was going down the shitter, how can you say the same thing won't happen here?

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This house totally feels like a home already.
For the first time since I started my posting career on internet message boards, i'm happy.

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope it stays that way. I doubt it will being the internet and people being what they are, but it would be fantastic to be wrong. Anyway, you can only control yourself and how you respond to people - be classy, maybe others will be too.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It might be the honeymoon phase where it is super polite, but as long as it stays polite, that would a major success.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
A forum where the OT section is 85% threads about black people getting murdered, Trump policics/crazyness, mass shottings and other US problems is bound to drag the mood down. The test will start when these things start emerging again.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I wholeheartedly agree, my good friend!

That was actually one thing I was really starting to dislike about the other forum. It seemed like everyone was looking for an excuse to call someone out on something, or to thread whine. So many times I saw someone make a thread only to have so many people just come in and be all dismissive without really adding any discussion. Haven't really seen that here.
Absolutely. I've seen well thought out, informative posts get purposefully misconstrued just for the responder to have a 'gotcha' moment. People pointing out tiny flaws in long posts, completely ignoring the point the author was making. I really hate that, and plan to call it out when I see it in this forum.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reserving judgement for the moment. Need to see how certain subjects pan out when there are threads on them in future before I decide whether to stick around or not.

Need to be sure about how much of an issue leftover Neogaf baggage is going to be going forward. That said, having guys like Shinobi in charge is encouraging at the very least.