• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So I was coerced/talked into/ok let's just call it what it really is, bullied into watching this movie with my Discord squad

For a movie from the early 80s I did like it quite a bit, but I am fairly certain that I fuckin' hate Indiana Jones as a person/entity

Constantly self-serving, always out for himself
Straight up bullies Marion for like 90% of the film
I'm pretty sure he's in a relationship with her when she's underage pre-movie
He's lazy and whines a lot
He has every opportunity to escape but constantly keeps trying to get the Ark, something he doesn't even really want

He is a shithouse person and all of his side characters are better people than he is
I wish the movie was about Marion instead, shit I would take Alfred Molina or John Rhys Davies instead

ALSO THIS MOVIE WAS PG AND I SAW LOTS OF FACE MELTY HEADSHOTTY THINGS I am scarred for life

Anybody else not a fan of this devastatingly evil human? Also are the other two movies like this or nah

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
IIRC by the time the movie came out PG13 didnt exist. they in fact created it for its sequel, for the first time. But yeah, sucks that you hate it. Jones is a flawed character by design and that makes him interesting

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Indy is a dick, it's true. And his relationship with Marion is problematic and weird as fuck.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Indiana Jones is simultaneously a national treasure and a terrible archeologist.

He's the kind of guy who's a total dick but will always do the right thing

Oct 25, 2017

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Indiana Jones set the rogue archetype for decades in pop culture. Love it or hate it, he's part of the zeitgeist at this point.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Indy is a dick, it's true. And his relationship with Marion is problematic and weird as fuck.
I dunno, they did end up married and it's clear they were always not totally over each other. I always interpreted as him in his late 20s and her like 19 when they had their relationship, so clearly a power imbalance, but I never imagined he was taking advantage of her.

Indiana Jones influenced my film tastes and personality more than you'd think.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So basically you're so used to cardboard cutouts that you can't handle anything else.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Hard to hate a guy that's killing nazis for the sake of curating history and... well I guess saving the world.

Wait... now that I actually think about it, if Indy hadn't done a thing the ark would have just killed them all anyways so he wasn't really useful in the end.

It's the thought that counts?

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Spielberg: She has pictures of him.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hard to hate a guy that's killing nazis for the sake of curating history and... well I guess saving the world.

Wait... now that I actually think about it, if Indy hadn't done a thing the ark would have just killed them all anyways so he wasn't really useful in the end.

I don't think Indy has ever really fixed anything. If he stays out of it, the villains pretty much would end up offing themselves EXCEPT for Lao Chi and Mola Ram. Indy was in the right for killing those fuckers.

Creepy fucking villain, man

16043928094_a972cfa10b_b.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Yeeeeeeeeeeesh. Fucking gross and weird and gross.

Notyou

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
So I was coerced/talked into/ok let's just call it what it really is, bullied into watching this movie with my Discord squad

For a movie from the early 80s I did like it quite a bit, but I am fairly certain that I fuckin' hate Indiana Jones as a person/entity

Constantly self-serving, always out for himself
Straight up bullies Marion for like 90% of the film
I'm pretty sure he's in a relationship with her when she's underage pre-movie
He's lazy and whines a lot
He has every opportunity to escape but constantly keeps trying to get the Ark, something he doesn't even really want

He is a shithouse person and all of his side characters are better people than he is
I wish the movie was about Marion instead, shit I would take Alfred Molina or John Rhys Davies instead

ALSO THIS MOVIE WAS PG AND I SAW LOTS OF FACE MELTY HEADSHOTTY THINGS I am scarred for life

Anybody else not a fan of this devastatingly evil human? Also are the other two movies like this or nah
Go away and never come back.

Indy was the idol of 8 year old me.
Indy is the idol of 45 year old me.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

George Lucas also made Luke and Leia siblings in Jedi after setting up a love triangle with Han in Empire.

Dude has some weird ideas.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What the fuck. This is a joke conversation, right?

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Also are the other two movies like this or nah

Don't let the liars trick your special brain, there's 3 others and you will watch them all and love them.

I'm pretty sure they made the second one a prequel so that he wouldn't seem like a huge tool for ditching Marion for another woman. Then in the third one he kisses a Nazi. And in the fourth he's a deadbeat.

So...maybe?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't think Indy has ever really fixed anything. If he stays out of it, the villains pretty much would end up offing themselves EXCEPT for Lao Chi and Mola Ram. Indy was in the right for killing those fuckers.

Creepy fucking villain, man

16043928094_a972cfa10b_b.jpg

I guess another point for Temple of Doom.

On that same line, am I the only one that likes Last Crusade more than Raiders? Growing up I was with the majority there but now it seems like everyone shifted to Raiders and now Doom.

The tank fight scene alone makes it for me. Best sequence in the series. That and Sean with the birds.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until you watch Temple of Doom. Lol. You're gonna love that one.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
The truck chase scene in Raiders is basically a textbook example of how to do such a scene. Is Indy a dick? Yeah, at times. He is also a Nazi-punching badass.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Indy hadn't done a thing, The Nazis would have sent a second squad to retrieve the Ark from the abandoned island at the end after the first squad got melted. Hitler would have won. So no Indy wasn't useless.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Here are my most hated protagonists in film

George Clooney in Tomorrowland
Indiana Jones

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess another point for Temple of Doom.

On that same line, am I the only one that likes Last Crusade more than Raiders? Growing up I was with the majority there but now it seems like everyone shifted to Raiders and now Doom.

The tank fight scene alone makes it for me. Best sequence in the series. That and Sean with the birds.
Last Crusade was my first Indy flick and my favorite

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I feel like a lot of people in this thread have bigass nostalgia goggles right now.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Yeah there is also that part in the second movie where he risks his life and gets tortured to save a bunch of kids. Also he kicks nazis ass for 3 films. Real asshole!

The truck chase scene in Raiders is basically a textbook example of how to do such a scene. Is Indy a dick? Yeah, at times. He is also a Nazi-punching badass.

This guy gets it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Han Solo kinda has the same problem of bullying his love interest and generally being a sexist asshole. Both Han and Indy were products of their time.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I like that bit where he gets kicked out of the lorry through the windscreen, then somehow manages to go underneath it, climb back on board and kick the other guy under the lorry. Also the melty face Nazi thing.

I honestly can't remember anything else about the film. It was ages ago!

The whole idea of this film was to revive the matinee serial aesthetic from the 1930s and 1940s. It worked well in that respect.