• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
PLEASE tell me to "git gud" I would love that!

So yeah, game is currently downloading ATM (very slowly........).

In the meantime, can people please give me some tips before I start the game? I typically enjoy playing as more light weight and nimble characters in games, though I'm not sure that would be a good idea for this game.

Also, will grinding help me?

Thx

-pleaseinsertdisctwo

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If you feel you need too, use a guide to help out. Don't listen to others who want you to pound your head against a wall to git gud.

Others info:

This game specifically has a dual weapon stance available. Look it up if interested.

Your health bar will slowly shrink with every death until it gets to half. Use a human effigy to fix this when you feel its too much of a burden.

Learn to bait enemies from groups to make it easier to fight. This game is known to bunch enemies together in groups.

Talk to NPC's multiple times to exhaust dialogue options. Sometimes this is needed to continue their questline.

While Shields can help protect against damage, remember you have a dodge roll. Later on when you feel good enough to dodge well, you can two hand weapons for more damage and a different moveset instead.

Enemies will despawn if killed enough times after reloading the area. This can be an advantage at times to help keep enemies out of the way while running to the boss door. You can also use a bonfire aesthetic to respawn them back in if needed as well.

Branches of Yore are finite.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Forums and co op make dark souls fun. And that's the whole point of playing games. Fun

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
give up the illusion of being a big cool guy who's gonna be awesome at dark souls

look up walkthroughs, watch lets plays, learn how to cheese annoying enemies/bosses

doing that at first will get you enough up to speed to start understanding dark souls games in general

then you'll be able to play elden ring day one and be OK at it

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised nobody offered up the simple "git gud" comment yet, so...

Git gud, scrub.

But seriously, just watch stamina use. Make sure you have enough to roll if needbe after attacking. That's a big one.

Also, watch your weight management. Fat rolling sucks. Find lighter armor to have at least a mid-roll.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Summons are a very good way of dealing with a difficult boss. I don't know how is the online community for Dark Souls 2 these days but if I can recall the most difficult bosses have NPC summons that aren't the best but they can give you some time to breath

Don't be ashamed of look for guides if you're lost or having problems with some enemy/boss

Play the DLC, I never got to play the Schoolar of the First Sin edition so I don't know how weird their integration with the rest of the game is but it's some of the best content in Dark Souls 2

Also is a very long game by itself and with the 3 DLCs it's a lot so try to have fun and if you burnout midway through it happens

I really like this game and I think that people give it a lot of shit just because Miyazaki didn't sign his name on the credits

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Keep distance and study enemy attacks, see how long they take to recover from a swing, it's usually enough time for you to run and get a hit in. If you're not confident, sword and board with your shield up. If you're confident, two-hand your weapon and get whacking. Just start by getting one hit in til you build confidence, if you get greedy a roll might save you but you're probably gonna die. It's so easy to get overwhelmed so don't feel too bad when it happens cause it's gonna.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Starting classes are pretty meaningless it will just change your base stats/level and your starting gear. If it's your first Souls game, I'd suggest going with one of the higher vitality/stamina classes, just to give yourself some room for error.

Find a weapon that has a moveset you like, build your stats around that.
You can play without shields, but it's a lot easier to use one first time around, keep an eye out for any with 100% physical block.
I can't remember if they changed it in SotFS, but you used to be able to depopulate zones by grinding too much, which can be good and bad.
Learning attack animations is a big part of it, many you can force the enemy to do based on your range. So figure out how to bait the attacks you're comfortable with punishing and exploit it.
Keep an eye on your equip weight, it changes your roll speed/distance. Faster is always better, but find a speed you're comfortable with, then mix and match gear to raise your defenses while keeping that roll speed.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
The first place you want to go is probably not Heide's Tower of Flame or Fisherman's Wharf

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Practice your rollings, use them to evade enemy attacks instead of using a shield if possible.

Try to research about the stats, some are pretty useless, others are essential. No shame in giving some 15 minutes to read some character build basic guides.

Grind will not help much, pay attention to enemies moveset.

Use your souls when possible, don't hoard them, for 2 motives: 1 - You will die a lot, it's normal and everyone does, and it's frustrating to lose too much of them. 2 - Later in the game you will get a lot of souls from stronger enemies, it's a limitless resource so spend it.

Imo Dark Souls 2 is kinda harder in the beginning but gets progressively easier when you have a defined character and stuff. So don't give up if the early game seems too rough, it will get better. The first Souls is always the hardest.

Don't give up, skeleton.

Last edited:

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
PLEASE tell me to "git gud" I would love that!

So yeah, game is currently downloading ATM (very slowly........).

In the meantime, can people please give me some tips before I start the game? I typically enjoy playing as more light weight and nimble characters in games, though I'm not sure that would be a good idea for this game.

Also, will grinding help me?

Thx

-pleaseinsertdisctwo
mace and strike damage weapons, in general, are great. It is very easy to get a mace early ib gae and once upgraded to maximum it does great damage(str scalling).

There is an oath you can activate to have enemies respawn. If you spend time grinding, use it when you grind, then disable it by talking to the cat.Grinding ca help a lot. There is a jail later i game which is a safe place to grind with super weak enemies.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
Dark souls 2 is probably the most new player friendly of the series, actually.

• If the HP reduction mechanic is getting annoying, look up how to get the Ring of Binding. It's easy to get when you know where it is.
  • "Talk" to every NPC multiple times until you exhaust their dialogue. When you do this a lot of vendors you come across will end up back in Majula, including one that sells unlimited life gems.
  • For a first plate through I would recommend choosing the healing items at the start of the game

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Don't stress about losing souls. You'll look back at an agonising 10k loss as nothing at a certain point.

And don't be afraid to use summoning for help. It can really make a difference.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
OP: Raise your Agility stat, whether it's through Adaptability or Attunement. Raise it until your Agility shows at least 88, but preferably 96. This will make rolling through attacks much easier...while also eating up levels to do so. :(
The easiest way to do this without it cutting too much into your build is by playing a caster.

Thanks for the head's up that this is on sale. Never purchased Dark Souls 2 again on current gen after already having bought it for the PS3 and then a month later PC. Also, Steam's pricing scheme is whack. The upgrade to Dark Souls 2 PC is $15, but SotFS alone is $10.

I really like this game and I think that people give it a lot of shit just because Miyazaki didn't sign his name on the credits

Maybe some do, but I noticed how vastly different it was from Demon's and the first Dark Souls right away, and it had nothing to do with Miyazaki's influence (or lack thereof) at all. It's still my least favorite officially titled Souls game, but I still actually prefer it over both Bloodborne and Sekiro. I still like those games more than most other games too.

Last edited:

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
Normally I say you do you, but this is one of my favorite games and you're asking for tips so...

Make a strength build. Target 50 in Strength and only put points into Vigor and Endurance to your preference. Ignore the other stats.

Put that shield on your back, practice "rolling through" attacks, especially against enemies who have a deliberate swing animation. Keep your distance from early enemies that flail around a lot. Also, once you find you're rolling through attacks consistently, strip off armor/wear the lightest armor you can get away with to stay agile. Strength does not have to mean slow in these games.

Get a mace as early as you can, and two hand it. Then after a bit get a second mace, and power stance with them (hold Y or Triangle), especially against bosses. You'll do great damage. Upgrade the mace(s) liberally.

In the late game invest in upgrading two large* clubs, which can also be used in power stance mode. Between the maces and the clubs, you will have options with different range and attack rate that both scale very well with your stats.

By mid/late game you should be wrecking bosses and staggering most mob enemies.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The Souls games have a few mechanical idiosyncrasies that can trip you up if you come in with assumptions based on other RPGs.

Equipment progression works differently in Souls games than in your standard ARPGs. New gear provides mostly horizontal progression, in that different weapons have different movesets and characteristics like weight, reach, and attack speed which lend themselves to different playstyles. However, for the most part one weapon isn't much better than another in an absolute sense. Vertical progression comes mostly from upgrading weapons at the blacksmith rather than getting new weapons.

Accordingly, once you find a weapon you like, upgrade it early and often. Armor can also be upgraded but the value of doing so is pretty low. Don't worry about running out of upgrade materials, you'll end up with plenty.

When raising attributes at level up, focus on those attributes that work well with the type of weapons you use. Weapons have certain attribute requirements, but they also have attribute scaling, which mean that damage from that weapon increases with that attribute. Heavy weapons have higher Strength requirements and scaling, while lighter weapons have Dexterity requirements and scaling, as you might expect.

If you're not using magic (and you don't have to use magic at all in any Souls game), then Attunement, Faith, and Intelligence are all dump attributes which you can safely ignore. It's easy to play a Souls game without ever using magic, and basically impossible to play one without ever engaging in melee combat. Magic can be fun to use, but if you're feeling overwhelmed with options it's an easy thing to drop.

If you're ever unsure about what a stat does, look it up on a wiki. Seriously. There's a ton of info that goes unexplained in the tooltips. For instance, the agility stat determines how long you are invincible while rolling, so unless you play as a tanky character you'll probably want to put some points into an attribute that boosts agility (figuring out which attributes do this is a useful exercise!).

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
The Souls games have a few mechanical idiosyncrasies that can trip you up if you come in with assumptions based on other RPGs.

Equipment progression works differently in Souls games than in your standard ARPGs. New gear provides mostly horizontal progression, in that different weapons have different movesets and characteristics like weight, reach, and attack speed which lend themselves to different playstyles. However, for the most part one weapon isn't much better than another in an absolute sense. Vertical progression comes mostly from upgrading weapons at the blacksmith rather than getting new weapons.

Accordingly, once you find a weapon you like, upgrade it early and often. Armor can also be upgraded but the value of doing so is pretty low. Don't worry about running out of upgrade materials, you'll end up with plenty.

When raising attributes at level up, focus on those attributes that work well with the type of weapons you use. Weapons have certain attribute requirements, but they also have attribute scaling, which mean that damage from that weapon increases with that attribute. Heavy weapons have higher Strength requirements and scaling, while lighter weapons have Dexterity requirements and scaling, as you might expect.

If you're not using magic (and you don't have to use magic at all in any Souls game), then Attunement, Faith, and Intelligence are all dump attributes which you can safely ignore. It's easy to play a Souls game without ever using magic, and basically impossible to play one without ever engaging in melee combat. Magic can be fun to use, but if you're feeling overwhelmed with options it's an easy thing to drop.

If you're ever unsure about what a stat does, look it up on a wiki. Seriously. There's a ton of info that goes unexplained in the tooltips. For instance, the agility stat determines how long you are invincible while rolling, so unless you play as a tanky character you'll probably want to put some points into an attribute that boosts agility (figuring out which attributes do this is a useful exercise!).
Those are some pretty good tips. Especially the melee/magic stuff. Different strokes and all, but for me the melee combat is where Souls games excel and I completely ignore any "magic stats". Then again, there is a way to respec (not from the beginning and not infinite, though, iirc), so there is room for experimentation.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Be sure to play all three chunks of the DLC. Some bits are positively infuriating, but they contain some of the very best content/zones in all of DkS2. Have fun, take your time, and soak it all up!

talecrafter

Creative Director at Crafting Legends
Verified
Jul 11, 2019
Currently playing through Dark Souls II for achievements and having a lot of fun. The zones itself are pretty linear so I don't think you need a guide for that. There are multiple paths from Majula and one is easier for starting out. For the late game and for how to access the DLC don't be ashamed to look it up when you're at that point, it's not always obvious. You can still finish side stuff and the DLC (which is some of the best stuff) after you've played through the main quest.

My biggest problem with Dark Souls 2 is the weird movement input compared to the other entries. When you're moving forward you need to move the stick quite a bit to the side to change direction. If you're annoyed by that too and you're gaming on PC you're in luck, because there's a fix: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/319qgi/mod_to_fix_controller_deadzone_in_sotfs_dx11/

Oct 28, 2017
If you get hit despite rolling it's because of 2 things:
-a lot of hitboxes are shit in this game
-your adp stat is low

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dark Magic is the official god mod and trivialise 85% of the game, but you will experience high resists in DLCs area, so prepare to respec or to vary your gear and your (magic) arsenal when arriving in it. The worst ennemi in the game is the boredom, but overall it has some nice pastel landscape, lunatic NPCs and the Majula theme that will stick in your head.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
The mace (can be) a starting weapon and due to the inordinate amount of heavy armored enemies, is legit one of the best weapons in the game

Same with the plain rapier, pierce is incredibly strong in DS2

Get your adaptability up for the good i frames too

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
It has a very difficult beginning but gets super easy after the middle. Power stance is amazing, Best boss fight in souls history at one of the DLCS.
Pretty much the best souls game.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Dump tons of points into Adaptability. I think I leveled it to 40 and then started investing in other stats.

Without investing in adaptability, rolling is incredibly inconsistent and you will take damage when you shouldn't.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
So far this is a fun game but it's also annoying. For a game that's kind of obnoxious about "losing your souls over and over again," you'd think they'd give you some sort of map... Or at least make the game less janky. It's like unfriendliness on top of unfriendliness on top of unfriendliness.

It's a good game but lol I'm not having it with people claiming FromSoft games are the holy grail of game design. Fucking 2nd job over here

Henry.Swanson

Jan 27, 2018
Before you call in summons to a boss you can't beat, try fighting it as a helper to someone else a few times.

It's true the DLC is much better than most of the main game so try and see that at least...

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Don't play as a caster because the lock-on in DSII is terrible. Other than that, it's the same as every other Souls game. Patience is all you need.