• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Prioritize putting points into adaptability to level your agility early on. You want to have 105 agility at minimum.

If you're gonna be using spells, attunement gives agility as well, although not as much per level, but it's a bit of a more practical stat, as it lets you equip more spells.

You level up really fast on DS2, so I ended at level 200, when 120 is usually the norm on the other games.

Also, like all Souls games, don't be worried about losing Souls. You'll be getting like 50k in minutes later on.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay so these is an oath or something that makes the game much harder. I had no idea what it was and activated it because I went into this game blind. I could not summon and enemies endless respawned, everything was just harder. I highly recommend doing it.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So far this is a fun game but it's also annoying. For a game that's kind of obnoxious about "losing your souls over and over again," you'd think they'd give you some sort of map... Or at least make the game less janky. It's like unfriendliness on top of unfriendliness on top of unfriendliness.

It's a good game but lol I'm not having it with people claiming FromSoft games are the holy grail of game design. Fucking 2nd job over here
You picked the worst one to start with. The jank in DS2 is the highest in the series because of the changes they made to (and then reverted back from in the next game) the character movement and combat engine. The unfriendliness is absolutely part of the series though, your first Souls game is always the most difficult because if it clicks with you, the next game you play the groundwork has already been done.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I have always felt DS II SotFS is extremely hard in the beginning, mostly because there are groups of enemies waiting for you, your dodge rolls not behaving like in the previous DS game, that fucking knight that waits for you at specific locations that you will just walk into without knowing the terrible ending that awaits for you and, also, there is this reasonably early game area called No Man's Wharf that will just wreck you many times over.

If you can survive the first 10 hours of the game, you will turn into a killing machine that will simply obliterate whatever is thrown at you. I remember I died very little after those woods in which you get backstabbed every 3 minutes. It's a great game.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Have fun! Dark Souls 2 is amazing, probably bested only by Dark Souls 1 in the 'series'.

And the SotFS edition is just PACKED WITH SO MUCH CONTENT you'll be exploring areas to your hearts content for hours. For that price, wow, what a deal!

My advice would be to not get hung up so much with dying and losing souls, unless you were for some reason carrying round a million of them it's really no big deal. And if you do have heaps then SPEND THEM! :D Level up! It's fun!

Explore, explore, explore! I absolutely love entering a new area in Souls games just excited to see what I can find and what is waiting for me there lol.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
i´ve liked DS2 much better than DS3. DS3 was like a fanservice edition mixed with a best of DS and leftover Bloodborne assets.
Big same here. Dark Souls 3 has a more polished combat but it's such an uninspired game. So much fanservice and reciclyng of old ideas. Also we're From made a habit of the bad multiple health bar bosses and the worst DLCs in the series. Just trash

So far this is a fun game but it's also annoying. For a game that's kind of obnoxious about "losing your souls over and over again," you'd think they'd give you some sort of map... Or at least make the game less janky. It's like unfriendliness on top of unfriendliness on top of unfriendliness.

It's a good game but lol I'm not having it with people claiming FromSoft games are the holy grail of game design. Fucking 2nd job over here
The thing about the map is that after this games click you will have most of the game layout memorized in a very fascinating way that I don't think most other games do

But they are really unfriendly. I played and bounced of hard from Demon's Souls I borrowed from a friend before buying Dark Souls for dirty cheap in pc and only them clicking with me and now I love Dark Souls 1, 2 and Bloodborne

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
PLEASE tell me to "git gud" I would love that!

So yeah, game is currently downloading ATM (very slowly........).

In the meantime, can people please give me some tips before I start the game? I typically enjoy playing as more light weight and nimble characters in games, though I'm not sure that would be a good idea for this game.

Also, will grinding help me?

Thx

-pleaseinsertdisctwo

Lightweight is probably optimal in Souls because you want to avoid getting hit, and wearing light armor makes it easier to dodge. In DS2's case you want to also put points into adaptability. Blunt weapons like maces and clubs make the beginning easier, but in the long term, use whatever you want.

moarloot

May 31, 2019
Don't give up skeleton! Use guides if you need to and summons if you want. The games have a learning curve but I still believe their difficulty isn't as severe as their marketing makes them sound. They just don't exactly play the same as a typical action rpg. I can never put my finger on how I mean to say that but there's definitely like a style to play a souls game. If that makes sense

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Y'all were NOT kidding when you said that mages are easy mode.

Well, the game isn't easy, but it did get significantly easier/more manageable. I actually had a lot of fun playing last night.

Also please tell me I have the opportunity to summon for every boss. I didn't even get hit once by the first boss I faced

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The first thing you should do is jump down the big hole in Majula to see what's at the bottom

Yeah right lol maybe if the game had checkpoints and didn't punish you for dying

But seriously, you shouldn't be using a guide to play this game for anything other than bonfire locations/where to go next. Oh and for poorly explained combat mechanics (such as dual wielding) and builds