• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up on Nier: Automata. I know Yoko Taro games are designed to be replayed to get the most out of them - but there wasn't enough in my first playthrough that wanted me to go back.

Neolink

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon was the biggest for me as well. Was the main reason I upgraded to a Pro too. I loved Alloy as a character and I really liked certain design decisions but man the game just wasn't fun. Played for 2 days, putting in about 8 hours total and that was as far as I could go.

And it wasn't really robot dinos, it was more just robot wildlife (dogs, deer, giant beetles, dog-like things, giraffe, bear, etc.) I went in expecting to see Trikes, Steggos, Brontos, Rex, Dilos, etc.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Throw me in for Nier: Automata as well. Got through endings ABCDE and just not that fond of my time with the game in retrospect, had to drag myself to the end. Heavy handed and detached, combat gets stale halfway through, world and map design not great, didn't care for the characters.

I've seen a lot of thoughtful retrospectives that increased my appreciation after finishing, and also some generous takes on what felt like anime bs to me. I get what Yoko Taro was going for and I appreciate his sensibilities as a designer, there's a lot of cool stuff going on in Nier despite its issues. Don't hate it, but not a fan either.

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't going to contribute to this thread with my pick, but what the heck.

My answer is absolutely Horizon: Zero Dawn. I rarely stick with a game I'm not enjoying, so I initially dropped Horizon after around 15 hours. I consider the game's open world design to be rather dreadful, so I really couldn't be bothered to continue playing. However, I kept hearing about a great story that slowly reveals itself as you delve deeper into the game, so I jumped back in and played the game to completion.

I don't think the story in Horizon is great, but it's passable. I'd probably place it on the level of an average Sci-Fi series on television. What really ruined it for me though is how it's presented. Audio logs and text info dumps are a decent way to give further lore context, but they're never a good way to fill out a main narrative and that's exactly how Horizon handles much of its plot. On multiple occasions you are led into a room full of text logs and audio diaries to read. If you don't spend time in these areas, you are going to miss out on the majority of Horizon's narrative. For a game focused so heavily on story, this is absolutely unacceptable design. The Last of Us doesn't have a great plot either, but it's presented so well the entire narrative is elevated. And it also has text diaries for the player to read, but they simply add bits and pieces of lore and backstory to the experience. They never feel like a necessary tool needed to fully understand and appreciate the story being told.

Also, I echo what Oyasumi Poonpoon is saying. The general gist of Horizon's plot is pretty easy to predict within the opening hours. You obviously won't be able to guess everything, but it's not very difficult to see where everything is going.

On a lesser note, I am surprised at how little interest I have in returning to Splatoon 2. I adored the first game and while the sequel is quite good, it's ultimately been a disappointment for me and not something I have gone back to very often. Maybe the upcoming content update will get me to jump back in.
A lot of people failed at what to categorize HZD. It's really a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements. As for the story, it's not about the destination it's about the journey.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Zelda BOTW.

It does a lot of things really well(world, exploration, gameplay) but does a lot of things badly(weapon degradation, sparse music, dungeons, story). Dont get me wrong, the game is great, and it serves as a great template that can be improved on in future titles. But it was still disappointing in a bunch of ways. Keep the big open world and the exploration, but bring back some of the zelda staples and apply it, like the hookshot. Get rid of the degradation system and implement different types of weapons(swords/spears/hammers/etc) that you can switch between on the fly for use against different weaknesses in enemies. That encourages using different weapons without having to constantly pick up new ones after they break.

I actually didn't like Horizon's combat at all when I started it. Everything felt too "loose" couldn't really explain it. But the more and more I played and leveled up abilities, it got a lot more fun and intense.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
No, the part after Shidos dungeon is insanly important for P5s story and overall message.

Btw it's funny how you mentioned P3, which has literally months of nothingness, after your initial statement.

I don't think you could cut much of P5, without hurting the story. It's pretty dense with story. Maybe some of the text messages, but that would not cumulate tito a big time save.

It's dense with story because they have the characters say and do the same things over and a over again. The actual story is really straightforward and the interesting parts like Goro get thrown to the side. The last dungeon was awful and came out of nowhere and the post final boss fight parts added nothing to the story at all. P5 is a game where there is so much but a lot of it isn't needed. It's a quantity over quality thing. The game is super long but one of your main characters (Haru) is barely a character at all. The antagonist you are fighting against the whole game is pretty meaningless by the end. The secondary antagonist is there and gone in such a quick time frame, the pacing is horrible for a game that is as long as it is. It's not a bad game but it's a game that could have cut a huge portion and been better for it. This is the most common criticism I see about the game is that it's way too long and really doesn't need to be.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Another vote for BOTW mostly for reasons others have already given. One little thing that also annoyed me is the into your face placement of the stamina meter.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I guess you played on easy, normal or story mode. Try Very Hard or Ultra Hard and please upload some footage of your fight against a Thunderjaw or Stormbird or even better: one of the DLC enemies.

The Thunderjaw is way faster than you, so what you're suggesting is pretty hard and it also would take extremely long.
I know for a fact I did not play on easy. I never play anything on easy. Id wager I played hard since that is what i play most of the time , but I will need to recheck when im home. And i already told you how i killed it. I strafed behind a rock. It wasnt smart enough to follow me. It just kept shooting at the rock, because again, the AI is dumb, easily fooled, easily dodged.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are so many people conflating gameplay with combat? Combat is part of the gameplay, but Horizon does nothing else well than that. Following waypoints,trails and press x to jump to yellow painted logs the whole time is not enticing gameplay to me. I hate to make the comparison but people who complain about Zelda not having anything in it's open world but enjoy Horizon's...how? You interact on 0 levels with the world except it's creatures and collecting plants/crafting materials. It's a damn slog gamelaly wise outside of combat.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Persona 5. Had never played a Persona game. I tried to like it. Gave it five hours of my time and by that point was so bored I never went back. At least my daughter liked it.

Nier: Automata. Gave up about halfway through the second playthrough. The repetition was just wearing me out and by that point I no longer found the game world interesting at all.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Nier for me. I got about half way through the game and just lost interest. Really enjoyed my time with it and the characters to an extent, so I'm not entirely sure why I lost interest. Nothing about it screamed WOW to me at any point, but I will more than likely play the next game in the series.

PritheeBeCareful

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Horizon. Beautiful world, great backstory, completely unengaging present day plot, dull as dishwater characters, settlements completely devoid of anything interesting to see or do (Meridian is the worst 'big town' I've seen in an open world game in quite some time). Aloy is fine as a main character but all this 'best female protagonist ever!' hyperbole is nonsense. She's the archetypal spunky, determined young female but there's very little going on beneath that. There is no real nuance to her character, her reaction to everything is just flat 'yes I'll go do that now' with no shades of grey or anything that could be considered intriguing character traits. Combat is fine but after a while just feels like slickly repetitive battles of attrition.

With the exception of ragging on the combat - which I think is really well thought out - I'd agree with all of this. The back story and its cast of characters are infinitely more interesting, quirky and relatable than anyone in the present day cast and the settlements are absurdly forgettable: Mother's Crown, Mother's Rise, Mother's Cradle, Mother's Heart, Mother's Watch... those are just the Nora locations and with the exception that one has the mountain, I can't remember what there is between them (even after 90 hours of play and a Platinum Trophy). Those are the the first five settlements you encounter and honestly, I think it's glaring misstep.

I also agree with the separate point that it doesn't use it's open world well. The armour varieties and weapons all being available from a single vendor a third of the way into the game is pretty dumb. Spreading these about in the different areas would have made way more sense (what self-respecting trader is selling cold weather gear in the middle of desert?) and actually given locations more purpose than simple backdrop.

On topic: Persona 5 and Nioh for me. Persona's writing made me want to hurt myself after a certain point and while I' get what Nioh is going for I think the level design is abysmal and the art direction (particularly environments) utterly forgetting. I agree with most criticisms of Nier: Automata, but the creativity, writing and music sold it to me.

Steiner

Oct 29, 2017
It's dense with story because they have the characters say and do the same things over and a over again. The actual story is really straightforward and the interesting parts like Goro get thrown to the side. The last dungeon was awful and came out of nowhere and the post final boss fight parts added nothing to the story at all. P5 is a game where there is so much but a lot of it isn't needed. It's a quantity over quality thing. The game is super long but one of your main characters (Haru) is barely a character at all. The antagonist you are fighting against the whole game is pretty meaningless by the end. The secondary antagonist is there and gone in such a quick time frame, the pacing is horrible for a game that is as long as it is. It's not a bad game but it's a game that could have cut a huge portion and been better for it. This is the most common criticism I see about the game is that it's way too long and really doesn't need to be.

It seams you didn't understand the story of P5 at all. The last dungeon is forshadowed, even before the intro of the game starts. There are tons of other things that forshadowed it. Didn't you see the comments on the right corner of the display after every day, or the changing comments from NPCs in the city, or in some transition scenes. P5 showes troughout the game that the true enemy isn't some kinda bad guy, it is the society itself. Your point about the fights before the endboss are meaningless is true, because it is meaningless. Its impossible the bring real change just by getting rid of one guy. That is not how it works and the game shows that. The whole game is about the society and its problems, so I really can't understand your criticism about the last dungeon.

Yes some text messages are about the same subject and they could get rid of that, but this would not even cumulate to 1 hour imo. The game is dense, because it has tons of story in it. I think your criticism about Haru is overblown, yes she is the least developed character in the party, but barley a character, please.

Pacing is wonkey around summer , but personally it is better than in P4 and esspecially P3, but Persona games are in general poorly paced, due the calandar system, so I can understand this point.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It gets better imo. And you need some practice.

It actually stays about the same.

Critically acclaimed 2017 games that didn't wow me?

1. Horizon Zero Dawn (great robot aesthetic and animations, but that's about it)
2. RE7
3. Nier: Automata (liked it well enough, but I would have enjoyed it more as a rental)

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I also didn't like the combat in Horizon. So much so I switched the game to the easiest setting (the one that was all "just enjoy the story!") and had a much better time. I just didn't get the combat. Like it wanted you to set up traps and use the bow etc, but then that is hard to do when spotted, then stealth takedowns with the bow don't do enough damage meaning you get aggro and then the stick wasn't much use for fighting. And the bows were weird with their auto-aiming, many times going for the bit I'm not actually aiming at instead of the glowy bit I am and then when you turn the auto-aim off in the options it just makes hitting the enemies much harder (obviously).

I loved the story and characters and world though and it was a beautiful looking game and I did enjoy it. Just hated the combat, and I have a pretty good tolerance for not letting stuff in games get to me, but man, that combat wasn't fun at all.

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda.

No Story, Hate Weapon system, Hate Stamina, Don't want to collect seeds, and everything else mentioned in the thread. There is nothing I like about the game. Zelda used to be my favorite franchise and I am so disappointed now. Link Between Worlds is still good for me though.

ElBarto56

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I think Horizon has some of the best combat in any open world game. There are many different techniques to kill machines, between stealth, traps, ropecaster, plus the different damages types.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's totally a conspiracy, it could just so happen that many people have started playing it recently due to the dlc dropping and sales popping up. That wouldn't make any sense now would it?

No it wouldn't make any sense at all.
If you didn't like the game/combat you still would have said that back when it was originally released and not had any interest in the DLC. If you were shilling for some other game as an unpaid servant you would try to post some inflammatory statement of a beloved property publicly just to attract as much negative attention as possible.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I must follow up my Horizon post by saying that combat is not an issue with this game. It's one of its finest qualities.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the story in Horizon is great, but it's passable. I'd probably place it on the level of an average Sci-Fi series on television. What really ruined it for me though is how it's presented. Audio logs and text info dumps are a decent way to give further lore context, but they're never a good way to fill out a main narrative and that's exactly how Horizon handles much of its plot. On multiple occasions you are led into a room full of text logs and audio diaries to read. If you don't spend time in these areas, you are going to miss out on the majority of Horizon's narrative. For a game focused so heavily on story, this is absolutely unacceptable design. The Last of Us doesn't have a great plot either, but it's presented so well the entire narrative is elevated. And it also has text diaries for the player to read, but they simply add bits and pieces of lore and backstory to the experience. They never feel like a necessary tool needed to fully understand and appreciate the story being told.

yeah they handled all that stuff really poorly. hopefully a sequel will address that flaw.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Breath of the Wild didn't grab hold of me like I thought it would.

Still have 2 divine beasts to tackle and no willpower to boot the game up.

Exactly the same for me. Two Divine Beasts down, 30 hours in, and I think the game has peaked for me. The repetition has settled in hard. It's an incredibly interesting game in the first many hours but the characters, the story, and the mundane dungeons and shrines really furl your sails after a while.

And I'm someone who really enjoys the combat, the soundtrack, the visuals obviously. Open world fatigue is real and not even BOTW can save it.

I actually thought on the whole Skyward Sword was a tighter, stronger experience, especially late-game.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It seams you didn't understand the story of P5 at all. The last dungeon is forshadowed, even before the intro of the game starts. There are tons of other things that forshadowed it. Didn't you see the comments on the right corner of the display after every day, or the changing comments from NPCs in the city, or in some transition scenes. P5 showes troughout the game that the true enemy isn't some kinda bad guy, it is the society itself. Your point about the fights before the endboss are meaningless is true, because it is meaningless. Its impossible the bring real change just by getting rid of one guy. That is not how it works and the game shows that. The whole game is about the society and its problems, so I really can't understand your criticism about the last dungeon.

Yes some text messages are about the same subject and they could get rid of that, but this would not even cumulate to 1 hour imo. The game is dense, because it has tons of story in it. I think your criticism about Haru is overblown, yes she is the least developed character in the party, but barley a character, please.

Pacing is wonkey around summer , but personally it is better than in P4 and esspecially P3, but Persona games are in general poorly paced, due the calandar system, so I can understand this point.
The final dungeon in P5 elevated the game for me significantly from a thematic standpoint, enough that I was able to look past some of the more uneven beats earlier. It's ties a bow on the political mission statement of the game as a direct critique of Japanese societal apathy. Not particularly subtle but after 100 hours it felt both earned and necessary.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've said my piece on some other games like Nier Automata a few times before (see this similar thread)
And at this point its kinda funny that, in a year I consider incredibly strong for games, I could probably put the majority of my top 10 this year through the ringer, no game is perfect after all but it's also interesting in that certain issues that destroy the enjoyment of these games for some I can completely agree with while still feeling like "what a game though!".
I certainly think for example that Nioh is way too little butter being spread over the most overly huge slice of bread going, that Yakuza 0 has some combat jank and dodgy pacing, Persona 5 "let's not do that today" and that BotW and Mario Odyssey delve into moments of vast excess with their open approaches.

Right now I'm pushing through Horizon Zero Dawn, it's a solid game.
But that's just it, it's solid yet there's a recurring sentiment that can pop up like "boy, in any other year, Horizon would be GotY with ease!", I think there's always gonna be a bit of a "forever war" with Zelda and Horizon but that's not really what I'm going to get at here, instead when I look at what Horizon's goals seem to be I can't help but think it's so close yet so far in most areas.

Now I'm presumably over the halfway point (en route to the grave hoard) and I've personally felt like I've only just had one of the first truly interesting plot points that justifies the focus said plot has in this game, with the other reveal alongside it being the most typical and expected one to explain the world's current state.
So I guess the disappointment I'm focusing on here is Aloy herself and the mountain of cliches coming along for the ride.
It disappoints me to say that Aloy is boring.

She's an outcast for reasons out of her control, but she's also SPECIAL, she has this one father figure and take a good long guess about his fate, the proving section of the game hilariously drops in an almost eighties teenage bully like character into the mix, fortunately briefly but god damn, this was all in the first two hours and my eyes had almost rolled entirely out of my head.

Aloy herself despite living in the wilds and shunned by basically every other human is pretty damn well spoken, I really feel like there's a missed opportunity in here for a character who actually has trouble relating with others due to her unique upbringing but I suppose that's a bit risky to play on so she just operates like a standard protag, capable of occasional player choice in dialogue wheels so you can maybe mould your own angle. I suppose her lonely life may at least explain the fact she tends to keep popping up with random quips when you're exploring, like spending time with the extreme extrovert who can't stand a moment of silence, Aloy must fill the gap with a recurring comment for picking up some medicinal herbs, it's almost too much but there is some restraint here.
Still this wont stop other sections of dialogue for beating you over the head, there's one brief bit sticking out to me from a section I played yesterday where you attempt to get info from a focus only for a sinister growling voice to deny you and basically purge the focus itself to deny Aloy, now we've been told briefly about this mysterious "Hades" character, you could simply leave the voice as ??? and let the player fill the gap. Instead the game's subtitles actually implicitly states "Hades" and then Aloy afterwards is like "could it be? HADES?". You may be like "gosh darn Owl, you're making a chicken out of a feather with this one" but it's that kind of obviousness that permeates a fair bit of the games plot, on top of this it also leads into my next issue with Aloy, in that if she deduces something, it's right.

A lot of sidequests involve Aloy being presented with some kind of mystery, usually involving disappearances, dead people and theft. Her focus allows her to Batman/Witcher sense the heck outta this and then inevitably follow some literal trail to the conclusion. But she ALWAYS has the right theory, it's handled in a way that's just a bit much. Some chap swiped a sword, he ran this way, but wait this person says he saw the person but not the sword...immediately Alloy knows what happened "he passed the sword onto someone in cahoots" and instead of you say chatting to a number of nearby characters to try and find the one, Aloy just knows it was actually the person you talked to previously and immediately grills them upon initiating conversation, because you know Aloy is always right (and she was!). Paint by numbers sidequest design here, the genre in general has a real hard time with this.

I usually wouldn't spend so much time delving into a main character like this, it's not typically something I'm too bothered by, thing is people praise this as being a great new character and I ain't seeing it outside of a semi-brave design choice. I'm withholding on the overall plot since they have at least dropped a few things in that could be interesting but I'd be lying if I said I expect much, in general my issue is that for the focus it's getting it's not delivering.

ANYWAY, gameplay stuff is all solid as previously indicated, combat does its job against beasts as something of a monster hunter light (though I swear they made the dodge so good that in turn they sometimes just have enemy lunges track your movement to land perfectly on your face).
Traversal though is pretty pants, a lot of running around and awkwardly skipping up rocks because mobility and movement options are not this game's forte which is an unusual limiter in an open world game. Mounts are underwhelming unless I get the ability to override a glinthawk or something. The cinematic platforming on display here makes me realise just how much better Naughty Dog are at this rather dubious approach to platforming progression, the usual progress via yellow objects, hold stick to automate jumping around in specific places only, it's limiting and tedious and possibly worse here than many games that have been abusing this approach since last generation (and even then your Ass Creeds pre origins could still make the clambering feel more freeing). You've got the kiln sections which are extended sections of corridors and shimmy across the walls at its apex of not very high, sometimes you get to make a bridge appear with the override stick...right next to where it appears thus feeling like a rather pointless endeavor.

I mean it's good, there's a base here Guerilla can build off of, but I don't think they quite got there yet, in a generation where open world gameplay risks overexposure, this one is too by the numbers outside of combat and visuals to strike me as a top tier experience.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I get the praise for Horizon, but I also don't get the passes people give it.

The open world is incredibly sterile and amounts to little more than a series of enemy encounters strung together. Enemies have very short tethers to their zones too.

The RPG aspects are all incredibly shallow, human combat is atrocious, a few of the bows feel redundant, the open world gives very little reason to explore... etc...

"8/10 - a good start" sounds about right to me, but GOTY in a year with so many amazing games I can't understand.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I dont play many games when they come out but Nier:Automata demo was enough to tell me the combat sucks. I love the designs of the characters and the shock ending demo tells me there is some story but the combat is garbage.

Been playing through Horizon and I love the combat. It's easy to cheese, drop bombs, traps everywhere, but there's some skill when shooting arrows and devising a plan of attack, beyond the cheese.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Super Mario Odyssey. Loved Zelda BOTW, I thought that the only other game that could beat this big open world adventure from Nintendo would be this game. Didn't do it for me, got bored pretty quickly.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Horizon did not wow me, but that was not due to the combat. It made me get a bit bored on bows (which I thought was my favorite weapon in games), but I found it fun. I just don't get the praise the game is getting in terms of GOTY considerations because it clearly is a first attempt at a genre. Guerrilla should be commended for the risk and the product they put out is very good. Still, naturally as a 1st take, it felt a bit unoriginal and there were some aspects that needed previous experience in order to be properly flushed out: dialogues, side-activities, narrative variety and closure.

It will be in my Top 10, and did not disappoint, I just don't understand the Top 3 conversation (particularly this year).

Deleted member 10293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it wouldn't make any sense at all.
If you didn't like the game/combat you still would have said that back when it was originally released and not had any interest in the DLC. If you were shilling for some other game as an unpaid servant you would try to post some inflammatory statement of a beloved property publicly just to attract as much negative attention as possible.
You didn't even acknowledge the fact that I brought up about being playing it for the first time recently or even not just at release. And many games get tons of buzz as they release because people who buy it then are the ones most excited for it. Even ignoring that, I did see tons of people saying the same things then that I am seeing now in this thread but that's anecdotal so it serves no purpose

Bringing this up purely as a shilling conspiracy just seems like an easy way to try and discredit actual complaints. I could just as easily spin it around as you trying to shill by defending it so hard but that's pointless and I don't believe that anyway.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Nier: Automata. I played through it all, I got all the endings, I got a platinum, I just didn't enjoy it most of the time. The first playthrough was fun (kind of) but I really hated the combat, it just didn't feel like a fun Platinum game, it felt like a mediocre mesh of a bunch of different styles of gameplay, and didn't excel in any of them. The story was okay, I felt like it tried really hard to be all crazy and out there, but it just felt like it was pushing the idea that it had a deep story, but it really didn't. I don't know why I pushed to get the Platinum, but I ended up selling the game after, as I didn't think I would ever have the urge to play it again.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone claiming BOTW has poor or mediocre combat must have hated the combat in every single previous installment because it is most assuredly a sizable step up from anything seen previously in the franchise.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was purely side content, so I didn't really have an issue with it . It was alright, but I'm not going to criticize it.

Criticize away!

I'll be interested in Horizon 2 as far as how they tell a story. I'm curious how they'll tell a story about stuff that happened hundreds of years ago without the info dumps. Maybe through flashbacks?

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems that the OP has just started playing the game now. Do you expect everyone play every game at launch?

Also, the title is not inflammatory at all. This kind of thread is not exclusive to Horizon.

I'm really glad somebody posted GIFs of the combat, which is making me want to get back in sooner than I was going to. Anyway, to answer your query, no I don't expect everyone to play every game at launch.

Even if I had just started playing BOTW and posted something with this title: (it would be just as unnecessarily inflammatory)

"I kinda hate the combat in BOTW , it plays and looks like a 10 year old game. What are critically acclaimed 2017 games that didn't wow you?"

How on Earth people can claim Horizons combat is clunky is beyond me. Is there any other open world game of this kind that has better combat? I can't personally think of one.

The combat is extremely precise and fluid, and the way you instant dodge, roll, attack etc is more akin to something like Bloodborne than your typical fantasy open world game. Comparing it to stuff like The Witcher 3 and Skyrim and it's literally night and day.

MZdJvY7.gif

source.gif

COVJZSq.gif

KAmPYlj.gif

3196846-zero+dawn.gif

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Grenade launcher?

Rope thingy for bird?

Lol.

Are you sure you played the game or have you just watched some videos online? There is no grenade launcher in the game, and the Ropecaster isn't just for a bird. What bird are you even talking about?

And the reason you wouldn't just spam the explosive ranged slingshot is because you'd use up all your ammo and the ammo costs a lot of not so common consumables, plus they are slow as hell to fire, thus far from ideal in many scenarios.

Yes, sorry that I don't remember if a goddamn weapon that shoots grenades is called a grenade launcher or a sling. Bird, pterodactyl, is it really that hard to guess what I mean? I mean the giant flying robot.

Well I did spam "explosive ranged slingshot" and beat the game easily, so there is that. Oh no, sorry, just remembered, I also set traps during the fight right under the robots' legs. Amazing combat indeed.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
I
Unacceptable is pretty harsh and unwarranted imo. You get world back-story from exploring those ancient structures, which makes sense, and those logs and datapads paint a picture at what was going on at each location. Made perfect sense to me for the storytelling and design and it mirrored Aloy's experience. The more dense a location was with people the more personal logs you could access. It didn't fill in the entire story, as you had to do other things to really stitch the whole narrative together.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Super Mario Odyssey. It's fun and creative but doesn't push any ground beyond that. It's way to easy and didn't provide me any sort of a compelling challenge or memorable moments.
I can totally understand the praise, but for me it's just not an experience worth praising.

In my personal, non-platformer enthusiast opinion, A Hat In Time is just as good as Odyssey. Don't kill me lol.

conman

Oct 27, 2017
It's a game that doesn't start to "click" until pretty far in. For me, it wasn't until 20 hours or more that the combat (bow hunting and traps) felt natural and interesting. I nearly gave up on the game multiple times for a variety of reasons (terrible dialogue, too many cinematics, overlong tutorial, uninteresting locations, godawful melee combat, etc). But I'm glad I ultimately stuck it out just for the feeling of getting the hunting systems and mechanics down. It's a very imperfect game in a lot of ways, but the dino hunting is incredible.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You didn't even acknowledge the fact that I brought up about being playing it for the first time....
The issue is not whether the person liked or disliked the game, anyone can obviously have any opinion they want about any game. However, when someoene posts an obnoxious and inflammatory statement that can be arguably debunked with on the spot in-game footage samples it's clear the statement was really made just to attempt to give the property a blackeye rather then convey any kind of authentic insight or opinion of the game.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unacceptable is pretty harsh and unwarranted imo. You get world back-story from exploring those ancient structures, which makes sense, and those logs and datapads paint a picture at what was going on at each location. Made perfect sense to me for the storytelling and design and it mirrored Aloy's experience. The more dense a location was with people the more personal logs you could access. It didn't fill in the entire story, as you had to do other things to really stitch the whole narrative together.

I don't think my words are harsh at all, but I respect your opinion. I honestly don't know if there's a better way to present backstory in a post-apocalyptic world (though I have to believe there can be), but that doesn't change that I feel its poorly presented all the same. A relatively small part of my issue is the nature of text/audio exposition itself in a video game, but my other, greater issue is the amount that is presented to the player at a given time. The latter is absolutely something that can be addressed and improved upon.