• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Yeah, fuck Trump!
Impeach the fucker!

Huh, who the fuck is Scott Morrison?
Wasn't our PM Turnbull? (I'm joking, of course)

Era being my main source of news has left me somewhat unaware of what's going on in my own country.
Perhaps it's best for my mental health if I'm not reminded constantly of the horrid drought going on here.
I know that after the right somehow won the third election in a row I just stopped wanting to hear about Australian Politics for a while.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump train-wreck is fascinating to watch. The whole world (probably) is hooked.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not exactly sure what you want out of this thread.

Do you want to be chastised for leading an ignorant life?

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guilty of this myself. Know little about the news and politicis of my country, know quite a bit about the US. Browsing the English-speaking part of the internet almost exclusively will do that to you. And it helps that there a fair number of articulate, knowledgeable YouTubers making quality videos out there (on the left, anyway). Can't say the same in my country.

But it's still better than my previous situation, which was: know nothing about politics in my country OR the US lol.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wouldn't say I know more about US Politics than my country's but I'm definitely more entertained by them.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I'm the same.
I think it's because the US actually has somewhat decent alternatives to their problems whereas Australian politics are fucked all the way through.

And we have a whole generation of people keeping regressive conservatives in power.

Most Australian pollies are career politicians and just in it for the money. It's pathetic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm the same.
I think it's because the US actually has somewhat decent alternatives to their problems whereas Australian politics are fucked all the way through.

And we have a whole generation of people keeping regressive conservatives in power.

Most Australian pollies are career politicians and just in it for the money. It's pathetic.
Ugh, I remember walking out of the booth thinking that my vote for Greens/Labor will count for something. That maybe we could get off our asses and vote against the party that is for fucking our planet for profit.

Instead I got a slap in the face come election night.
It burnt me.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
I feel the same way. I think it's because it seems like there is a small chance the USA could still turn itself around so there is still hope but Australia is pretty much over so following the news is just depressing.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I'd say I follow Aussie and American politics equally.
American politics is obviously in a pretty bad place but Australian politics feels even more depressing to follow right now.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way. I think it's because it seems like there is a small chance the USA could still turn itself around so there is still hope but Australia is pretty much over so following the news is just depressing.
I'd say I follow Aussie and American politics equally.
American politics is obviously in a pretty bad place but Australian politics feels even more depressing to follow right now.

Damn. What makes the situation in Australia so much worse?

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Australian politics has is own battles right now if you pay attention. Labor is consumed by its impossible defeat and is doing a lot of soul searching to figure out what happened at the last election. The conservatives are surprised with their win and didn't have much on the agenda going forward, so it's pretty much status quo right now.

Big things coming up: indigenous rights with voice to parliament and constitutional recognition.
The conservatives religious freedoms legislation.
Climate change targets ( unfortunately Labor recently are questioning theirs due to the loss).
The economy ( this is a big one). The conservatives are cruising along thinking status quo is ok, but we are headed for recession. No one is spending right now primarily due to stagnant wages growth and increases in cost of living. The coalition have no plan for this, and are hoping it sorts itself out. Our interest rate has plummeted but this will take awhile to have an effect. The coalitions infrastructure plans are too far in the future to have an effect right now.

Unfortunately Labor lost and a lot of their policies would have reinvigorated our economy but everybody didn't like Shorten. So on we go.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, I remember walking out of the booth thinking that my vote for Greens/Labor will count for something. That maybe we could get off our asses and vote against the party that is for fucking our planet for profit.

Instead I got a slap in the face come election night.
It burnt me.
100% with you there. It's completely destroying the faith of young people in this country.

Our system is fucked and full of old men with vested interests.
The US is the same, but at least we get to eat popcorn while we watch their drama.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Swedens politics is a lot less interesting because the politicians aren't totally incompetent. We do have right-wing nuts, but they are a lot less entertaining than the US variety.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Damn. What makes the situation in Australia so much worse?
It's not so much worse. Trump is still doing a lot more damage. It's just that last election, the opposition party put a bunch of good policy ideas forward and the the current pm ran the most barebones, empty campaign possible. When he won, it felt kinda like this:
FavoriteWeakCormorant-size_restricted.gif

It's pretty demoralizing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
It's not so much worse. Trump is still doing a lot more damage. It's just that last election, the opposition party put a bunch of good policy ideas forward and the the current pm ran the most barebones, empty campaign possible. When he won, it felt kinda like this:
FavoriteWeakCormorant-size_restricted.gif

It's pretty demoralizing.
Yeah, the right expected to lose, so they didn't waste much money on campaigning.
Nearly everyone thought it was a done deal for Labor. Libs had been in for a while now and won 2 elections, and there was a lot of infighting within the party, so most people were getting sick of them.

Then Labor lost.
Fucking somehow.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
All I know about Australian politics is that Fraser Anning got hit with an egg, and it was very satisfying to watch.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I'd say same, but there really isn't much to know in my country.

We have different political parties but it's all six of one and half-a-dozen of the other.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
It's clearly not a good news source about your own country, though, unless there's some Australian Politics OT tucked away somewhere.

When GAF collapsed and everyone went to various discords, AUSPOLGAF/ERA kinda stayed there. The thread still has the NSW election at the top of the last page! I/we should probably make an effort to kick it back into gear somewhat.

Anyway, Scott Morrison is basically a hollow man. A finely tuned marketing exercise to appear to be everything to everyone but completely devoid of any moral or ethical base. He's probably the most nakedly political PM this country has every had. A personality tuned by focus group.

Make no mistake, he thinks he's a mini Trump.

Last edited:

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I feel like knowing US politics is like looking 2 to 8 years in the future in a crystal ball, here in Brazil.

Oct 25, 2017
Ditto here, but to be fair: Dutch politics are kind of 'eh' at any given time because we kind of operate on "be dull and do your job" as a national / cultural motto.

However, that also means that knowing US politics gives me nothing but unending rage, and I mean that in a very real and very bad way. It is deeply frustrating to see its influence on the global political theater as well, as mentioned above in the case of Brazil.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I'm in the US but i only follow national news so i rarley know what's going on in my state. But i live in a red state so whatever is going on i know it ain't good.

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017
Same. I am Canadian and never pay attention to politics but US politics right now is so entertaining. The non stop lying, and the lying is so obvious. I think the politicians thing every american is a complete moron because of how dumb the lies are. it is also apparent that most of the politicians do not give a crap about the constitution or country, its just all about keeping power - no matter what side of the isle you are on.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i know you guys lost a prime minister one day because he went swimming and then disappeared and nobody knows what the fuck happened

like wat