• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i poured 1000s of hours into FFXI but i hardly remember it at all for some reason

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had to look up what you meant but lol

z81PxJL.jpg
Oh wow. In Europe it was a Webseite that you had to visit

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather that Steam supported custom music for the store and library interfaces.
You can replace the ambient sounds for big picture mode, and it works, but the files are replaced with the defaults every time you restart steam.
That PlayOnline music is great though. I miss things like that, and the Wii interface.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely feels like a time capsule. I wonder if there's a skin like that for clients such as Steam/Playnite/etc.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So can someone help me with actually logging in to PlayOnline?

I made PlayOnline Member with a Username, PlayOnline ID, Password and my SquareEnix ID at the bottom. If I actually want to go online with it it asks me for my SquareEnix Password which I enter and then it says "Invalid Password" yet the same password works fine when logging in to the MogStation and FFXIV o.o

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So can someone help me with actually logging in to PlayOnline?

I made PlayOnline Member with a Username, PlayOnline ID, Password and my SquareEnix ID at the bottom. If I actually want to go online with it it asks me for my SquareEnix Password which I enter and then it says "Invalid Password" yet the same password works fine when logging in to the MogStation and FFXIV o.o
Can you show a screenshot of the login screen in question? Alternatively just try the PlayOnline password they emailed you and not the SE one in whatever prompt

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Can you show a screenshot of the login screen in question? Alternatively just try the PlayOnline password they emailed you and not the SE one in whatever prompt

Sure I can upload a screenshot after I'm done with dinner! And that's the thing, at no point I was even asked for any email-address, that's why I'm so confused o.o

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
It's the most aesthetically pleasing launcher I've ever seen. It has great music, sounds, backgrounds, and avatars. It also needs to die a horrible death as it's also the slowest launcher I've ever seen. Any patches you need to download and install takes a long time, logging in is slow, you have to put in your security key (if you have one, I do) every time even if it's a computer that you have logged into before, some screen transitions are slow (mainly due to the fade in/out effect), and you got a total of four screens minimum you got to get through before you even get into the game (log in screen, playonline main menu, playonline FFXI menu, "don't play too long" warning). This doesn't even include the additional loading time and screen transitions you have to get through when you even get into the game before you start playing. It can take at least a minute to get to playing if everything is updated.

I get why things are the way they are. I know PoL was once more than just a barrier to get into FFXI. I was around when things like Tetra Master were still playable and I played that a lot too. It just sucks that the game is built on some incredible spaghetti code that they can't just flat out remove FFXI's dependency on it or at least make it snappier and less of a hassle to get through. Heck FFXI still crashes if another app goes full screen. When I was playing (stopped last year as I'm broke), there were times where I was thinking about logging on and kinda wasn't into the mood to play or just wanted to check something small. I just didn't log in as I just wasn't in the mood to deal with the log in process.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's the most aesthetically pleasing launcher I've ever seen. It has great music, sounds, backgrounds, and avatars. It also needs to die a horrible death as it's also the slowest launcher I've ever seen. Any patches you need to download and install takes a long time, logging in is slow, you have to put in your security key (if you have one, I do) every time even if it's a computer that you have logged into before, some screen transitions are slow (mainly due to the fade in/out effect), and you got a total of four screens minimum you got to get through before you even get into the game (log in screen, playonline main menu, playonline FFXI menu, "don't play too long" warning). This doesn't even include the additional loading time and screen transitions you have to get through when you even get into the game before you start playing. It can take at least a minute to get to playing if everything is updated.

I get why things are the way they are. I know PoL was once more than just a barrier to get into FFXI. I was around when things like Tetra Master were still playable and I played that a lot too. It just sucks that the game is built on some incredible spaghetti code that they can't just flat out remove FFXI's dependency on it or at least make it snappier and less of a hassle to get through. Heck FFXI still crashes if another app goes full screen. When I was playing (stopped last year as I'm broke), there were times where I was thinking about logging on and kinda wasn't into the mood to play or just wanted to check something small. I just didn't log in as I just wasn't in the mood to deal with the log in process.
The login and account creation are definitely terrible but as far as a launcher to launch games goes, I kind of like it. Doesn't even feel that dated!

Oh, now everything makes sense, I totally skipped all this, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :P
Yeah register the trial code on that site. After the account creation you'll get an email that has a unique playonline ID and password, it won't be your email or anything.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The login and account creation are definitely terrible but as far as a launcher to launch games goes, I kind of like it. Doesn't even feel that dated!

Yeah register the trial code on that site. After the account creation you'll get an email that has a unique playonline ID and password, it won't be your email or anything.

I'm logged in now, thanks! Aside from that and the slowness this experience is wild, I love it! I wish it wouldn't be limited to 640x480 but at that point that's high-level bickering on my end considering what PlayOnline is.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Say is it normal that I can't get new wallpapers? I downloaded some but they don't show up under settings.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck no. I actually had to suffer through PlayOnline, shit was the most slow and cumbersome launcher ever.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I take back my suggestion in the title and amend it to be the PS5 system OS should be modelled after PlayOnline. Sony make it so.