• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
...in a world where DBFighterZ, Injustice and Mortal Kombat exist, what is it exactly that keeps games like Street Fighter, DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc, from looking at LEAST that good?...

Is it budget? I could understand KOF being affected by this, I'm honestly a bit disappointed by the graphics on display when looking at DOA and Soul Calibur (although I'm still pretty hyped about them)...

Also, I'm not saying that these games should abandon their art direction and go for a more realistic look or anything...Guilty Gear was such phenomenal looking game, DBFZ even more so, and they are both still 2D (-looking) spritefighterskindasorta...whereas the aforementioned games feel a little dated in regards to their aesthetic...

EDIT: Should be noted that I wasn't considering animations in this assessment...mostly just the visuals that could also be appreciated in a screenshot...

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
In what world do DOA, Tekken and Soul Calibur not look good?
Especially when you list Injustice of all examples of a good looking game. Sure, it looks goddamn great until any of the characters move at all.

I do wish that all fighting games could look as good as what Arc does with Guilty Gear/DBZ but not every developer can be Arc.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally prefer sprite based fighting games (GGXRD and DBFZ do great at recapturing this aesthetic), but I wouldn't say the current lineup of 3D fighters look bad.

Tekken 7, SFV, DOA, SC6 all look great.

Except the new KOF.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom simply chooses to neither commit to anime or realism, suffers because of it.

GGXrd's techniques applied to putting the SF Alpha or MvC1 sprites into 3D would be amazing, and so would having Injustice's level of fidelity applied to an MvC game that looked like you were playing the MCU.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Injustice and Mortal Kombat look worse than these other games you listed. The animations are terrible.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I really understand. I think SFV, DOA, Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur all look great. Are we talking about the same games?

Deleted member 44960

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
SFV is a fantastic looking game, a few questionable design choices aside. Soul Calibur and DOA are looking incredible as well.

I'm a huge fan of GG/DBFZ, but there is plenty of room for different art syles/rendering techniques that look just as good.

Having said that, I really dislike the Injustice/MK art style. Just dark and poorly animated.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
...in a world where DBFighterZ, Injustice and Mortal Kombat exist, what is it exactly that keeps games like Street Fighter, DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc, from looking at LEAST that good?...

Is it budget? I could understand KOF being affected by this, I'm honestly a bit disappointed by the graphics on display when looking at DOA and Soul Calibur (although I'm still pretty hyped about them)...

Also, I'm not saying that these games should abandon their art direction and go for a more realistic look or anything...Guilty Gear was such phenomenal looking game, DBFZ even more so, and they are both still 2D (-looking) spritefighterskindasorta...whereas the aforementioned games feel a little dated in regards to their aesthetic...

Uhh... Soul Calibur, Street Fighter V, Tekken and DOA all look great.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
T7, DOA6, and SC6 all look pretty good. I think SFV looks good too although, that's mostly because it's an improvement on IV, which I think is fugly.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Injustice 2 is the best looking fighter on the market.

Feel free to shower me with videos of that angry YouTube guy who thinks NRS animations are crimes against humanity.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the "bad graphics" games look better than the "good graphics" games listed here in my opinion. They all play a lot better, too.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Street fighter 5 looks great. Have you seen how it animates? I'm not even a fan of SF and I think it looks dope.

Wasn't it partly funded by Sony too? And active development is going on, you'd think they could bump up the resolution.

You'd think!

SFV is a great looking game... on PC. We're long overdue a Pro patch.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Injustice 2 is the best looking fighter on the market.

Feel free to shower me with videos of that angry YouTube guy who thinks NRS animations are crimes against humanity.
It's hard to directly compare I2, DBZ/Xrd, and sprite based games like Under Night.

I'd say you can split them into those categories and say that I2 is the best looking game that goes for realism.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
MK and Injustice are really not good examples, especially with that garbage animation. They must be the worse to watch out of the games you mentioned.

Nov 20, 2017
See, fighting games have to have a whole lot of efforts put into their visuals from not only an aesthetic position, but also for game feel and player readability especially at a high level.

Which is why Mortal Kombat and Injustice 2 are really terrible...

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DOA, Tekken, and Soul Calibur look really good though? I'd argue they look way better than Injustice or MK but that's mainly art style preference.

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to directly compare I2, DBZ/Xrd, and sprite based games like Under Night.

I'd say you can split them into those categories and say that I2 is the best looking game that goes for realism.
Yeah, I would argue that only MK and Tekken flirt with realistic art currently, and even then they chase pretty different styles.

Sega pls save us with a new VF.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Injustice 2 and what little and early we saw of DOA6 (and some of the anime-style fighters) do actually look great.

I would only agree on Bandai Namco's Tekken 7 and particularly Soul Calibur 6. I know people will again say there is nothing wrong with the games' visuals and that they find them pretty, but you can clearly point to partly 10 year old reused low polygon models and that's not what should be a standard at this point in time near the end of the current generation. That's objectively not great graphics. In Soul Calibur 6's case they now literally resell SC5 CAS assets as new DLC...

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sf5 and tekken 7 look awesome. There's not a bunch of bleeding edge effects but they look great anyhow.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Aside from a couple of weird bits, SFV looks amazing. Probably the best animated 3D-esque fighter I've seen.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Tekken looks fantastic. But like anything else time n budget. And the nrs games only look good in screen shots. For all their high quality models n jazz, the animation is fucking hideous.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
perhaps speaking for myself but i never thought SF2 was particularly a graphical showcase in the early 90s. not a fan of the post-3rd strike style but visuals were never a main draw of he genre (with exception of Mortal Kombat, which was mindblowing to see in '93)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He should take another hard look at SoulCalibur then.

I'll give Soul Calibur 6 that is has very pretty and atmospheric stages, what little you actually see with all the heavy blur applied to them, but the character models, especially their modelling, is literally one generation behind.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
In a world where Street Fighter, Tekken, DBFighterZ, Soul Calibur, KOF, and DOA exist, what keeps Mortal Kombat and Injustice's animations from looking at LEAST that good?

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Though Tekken is still using the same animations from years ago, which on cases like Kazuya's "whirlwind kick" look just awful as his stomach just twists like a sponge.

That said, is a matter of preferences. Injustice does look great as far as faces and models, backgrounds, etc.. but so does Tekken 7 when it comes to stage variety and effects and lighting.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I guess Soulcalibur is a little simple looking. I guess.
KOF is lower budget.
SFV looks amazing, weird artstyle for some characters though.
Tekken 7 looks pretty good, but has some bad post-processing effects.

On the other hand Mortal Kombat X is really off looking, have you played it recently? I've playing it for the first time, it's a fun game but visually a mixed bag.
I'll get back to you on Injustice.

Also, fighting games used to be known for the focus on visuals. Games like Virtua Fighter series and the original Soulcalibur were generation defining.

Status
Not open for further replies.