• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weltalldx

Feb 23, 2018
The problem with Tekken 7 and especially Soul Calibur VI's graphics is that they lack in areas that people tend to look at for detail. Namely the head zone. I've noticed a lot of games that do a little trick where they put extra detail in the faces compared to the outfit, armor, or even the skin elsewhere on the body, as that's where most eyes are going to travel. T7 and (again, especially) SCVI are still a generation behind in that aspect.

That's to say nothing of the facial animations, which are even further behind.

People don't play fighting games by focusing on the faces. Normal players focus on the body animation and how convincing the hit collision and weightiness of the hits are. This is something which Injustice/MortalKombat still does horribly. Playing Tekken 3 stills feels more satisfying than the WWE-slap fight Injustice/MortalKombat has going on.

FatalTalkativeElkhound-max-1mb.gif

FarflungQuarrelsomeFowl-size_restricted.gif

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Why we don't agree that the most important thing is style.
Even if a game have top notch graphics, if the game doesn't hit the sweet spots to create a world to make the players to care why they fighting, even if the story is stupid, then the game will fail.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
People don't play fighting games by focusing on the faces. Normal players focus on the body animation and how convincing the hit collision and weightiness of the hits are. This is something which Injustice/MortalKombat still does horribly. Playing Tekken 3 stills feels more satisfying than the WWE-slap fight Injustice/MortalKombat has going on.

FatalTalkativeElkhound-max-1mb.gif

FarflungQuarrelsomeFowl-size_restricted.gif

Okay, but the thread is talking about graphics, not animations. Nothing about NR's graphics stand in the way of them having better animations--which I'm all for. Similarly, nothing about Tekken or Soul Calibur's animations stand in the way of them having better graphics, especially in the facial region. Graphics are a big talking point with the casual crowd, and there's a lot of face focus in the cutscenes, intros, outros, and whathaveyou in these fighting games. It's worth putting a little more effort in there.

weltalldx

Feb 23, 2018
Okay, but the thread is talking about graphics, not animations. Nothing about NR's graphics stand in the way of them having better animations--which I'm all for. Similarly, nothing about Tekken or Soul Calibur's animations stand in the way of them having better graphics, especially in the facial region. Graphics are a big talking point with the casual crowd, and there's a lot of face focus in the cutscenes, intros, outros, and whathaveyou in these fighting games. It's worth putting a little more effort in there.

I don't see how animation doesn't count as graphics. Unless you're trying to sell me pictures of a game, how a game moves is part of the graphics in my opinion.

Regarding graphics fidelity, that all comes down to preference. I personally prefer the more anime/cartoonish look of Dead or Alive/Street Fighter/Tekken to the more realistic but rather generic faces of Injustice2.

OP
OP
SuzanoSho

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
User Warned: Repeatedly antagonizing thread participants
It's honestly amazing that there are people on this planet that think animations are the single most important aspect of a game's image quality, despite claiming the game looks great otherwise...

Literally the most braindead argument I've heard in the past decade in regards to anything gaming-wise...

Then again, I'm also still wondering why an entire 6-pages of post reactions are riddled with people whining about me saying a game looks bad...just to highlight how embarrassingly painful it is to read these comments as a person who speaks English, these are from the first page alone, in reaction to a post that not once implied that any of the games being mentioned look "bad", "ugly", nor mentioned so much as a synonym for either of those words...

I don't know if I'm more confused by the thread title or the idea that DOA, Tekken and SoulCalibur look bad.

In what world do DOA, Tekken and Soul Calibur not look good?

How does SF5 not look good?!

I'm not sure I really understand. I think SFV, DOA, Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur all look great. Are we talking about the same games?

I'll take any of the "ugly" games you listed over Mortal Kombat.

Uhh... Soul Calibur, Street Fighter V, Tekken and DOA all look great.

Most of the "bad graphics" games look better than the "good graphics" games listed here in my opinion.

Tekken and DOA look bad?

Except that those games you listed OP look amazing already?

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly amazing that there are people on this planet that think animations are the single most important aspect of a game's image quality, despite claiming the game looks great otherwise...

Literally the most braindead argument I've heard in the past decade in regards to anything gaming-wise...

Then again, I'm also still wondering why an entire 6-pages of post reactions are riddled with people whining about me saying a game looks bad...just to highlight how embarrassingly painful it is to read these comments as a person who speaks English, these are from the first page alone, in reaction to a post that not once implied that any of the games being mentioned look "bad", "ugly", nor mentioned so much as a synonym for either of those words...

What is the purpose of this thread when you're going to disregard anyone that argues with you?

OP
OP
SuzanoSho

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
What is the purpose of this thread when you're going to disregard anyone that argues with you?
In what universe does pointing out that I'm being accused of saying something that I didn't say = "disregarding anyone that argues with" me?...

What are they arguing with? Is there another thread, within this one, somehow, that has me calling any game mentioned here "bad-looking" or "ugly"? I'm missing something here...

EDIT: YOU ARE LITERALLY QUOTING A PARAGRAPH THAT EXPLAINS ALL THIS PERFECTLY.

Nymphae

Apr 3, 2018
what is it exactly that keeps games like Street Fighter, DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc, from looking at LEAST that good?...

Your eyes. Seriously SFV has great visuals, it's incredibly colourful and vibrant. Same with Tekken, DOA looks great to me too.

It'd be great to have some new games in the SSF2T HD Remix style though (CvsSNK2 please?), not sure why only Arc seems to be interested in HQ 2D visuals.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In what universe does pointing out that I'm being accused of saying something that I didn't say = "disregarding anyone that argues with" me?...

What are they arguing with? Is there another thread, within this one, somehow, that has me calling any game mentioned here "bad-looking" or "ugly"? I'm missing something here...

EDIT: YOU ARE LITERALLY QUOTING A PARAGRAPH THAT EXPLAINS ALL THIS PERFECTLY.

Basically the only time you've engaged with this thread is to act offended at people inferring from your OP that you think fighters besides NRS games and DBFZ look noticeably inferior. Fucking hell your thread title alone indicates you don't think those other games put much effort into how they look.

That aside, you never explained what is it about those other fighters that you don't like.

And in that "post that explains it all" you're literally brushing aside anyone that brought forth the argument that animation is hugely important to a fighter's visuals. For some reason. And you've essentially ignored anyone posting images, gifs, videos or whatever.

At this point I'm in agreement with Raging Spaniard 's first post.

OP
OP
SuzanoSho

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
In what world are Injustice & Mortal Kombat considered good to look at? Those games U G L Y

In this world...despite the many posts in here chalking things up to personal preference, Injustice 2 especially was praised almost universally for having great visuals...

Which is why it's weird to see the reactions in this thread, because this is literally the only place I've ever actually seen people call the game ugly...I honestly don't even recall many people here/on GAF calling the game ugly until ONE guy made a thread about the game's awkward fighting animations...

Even most of the Metacritic reviews praise it for having "stunning visuals"...

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
He just said MK looks good. I mean, this should be the end of the discussion, nothing to see here.

OP
OP
SuzanoSho

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Basically the only time you've engaged with this thread is to act offended at people inferring from your OP that you think fighters besides NRS games and DBFZ look noticeably inferior. Fucking hell your thread title alone indicates you don't think those other games put much effort into how they look.

That aside, you never explained what is it about those other fighters that you don't like.

And in that "post that explains it all" you're literally brushing aside anyone that brought forth the argument that animation is hugely important to a fighter's visuals. For some reason. And you've essentially ignored anyone posting images, gifs, videos or whatever.

At this point I'm in agreement with Raging Spaniard 's first post.
I've engaged with people that actually answered the question asked in the main post...

90 percent of this thread is "BUT MUH GAME ISN'T UGLY", so to act as if it's somehow inappropriate that I'm spending any amount of time defending my original post is willful ignorance on your part, and it's also a little disingenuous to paint that as an act of "disregarding anyone who 'disagrees' with me"- they aren't...and while you're reaching to defend the act of inferring ANYTHING from my post rather than taking it at face value, you haven't contributed any meaningful discussion to the thread yourself...especially considering my very first quoted response in this thread was to someone who disagreed with me, yet understood what I was saying and didn't use the thread to shitpost about Injustice's animations, a matter which was long since covered in an edit of the very first post...

Are you going to point out where I said these games are ugly? Or are you going to continue telling me that "T7 looks bad" is an example of someone "bringing forth the argument that animation is hugely important to a fighter's visual's", as if that has fuckall to do with the image quality being talked about in the very first post of this thread?...

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
This conversation is going nowhere and it's clear the creator does not want to have an earnest discussion on the subject. We are closing it to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.