• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Follow the thread here

Some excerpts:

I worry this will kill my career - but this has been eating at me every single day for a year now. Last year I was so depressed - for the first time in my life I started to contemplate suicide. I left Insomniac Games because of how they treat women.

Firstly - let me say there are so many GOOD amazing people at Insomniac that I would never want to direct harm their way. But there also is a culture of hiding the ugliness that comes from the very top.

I have a list in the double digits of women who were harmed by the actions of this company - some so much so that they declined to speak about it to me at all. Insomniac has throttled careers of great women, left them no option but to 'resign' and protected sexual predators.

I know, in my time there, of at LEAST 3 sexual predators that were protected. One left of his own accord (as far as I can tell), one was fired (despite them being given a heads up earlier) when he became too dangerous and was sexually assaulting people.

One still remains - despite there being a mountain of evidence to get rid of him - because 'it's not clear who was in the right or wrong'. This was all in the near 4 years I worked there.

He would get in your personal space - get really close to you. He would tell you stories or inappropriate jokes which were a little on the edge for me. But I appreciated his company and went to him for advice many times.

In secret, in the small meeting rooms there - he confessed his attraction to me. Not once. But twice. I brushed it off - marked it off as only human. Despite my partner at the time also being at the company (this was known).

He told me not to tell him and because I was his friend I didn't. Plus, it would make work weird. At the time, I didn't realise how this power dynamic was deeply troubling. He was our main HR recruiter. He would go to conferences and be on booths.

He told me how he would fuck me, and how he give me what my current boyfriend (who I was happy and content with and he knew this) couldn't. He laboured the point. Over and over. Explicitly. I can't remember most of the words. I blurred it out in my memory.

This eventually got him to stop. And we went to a bar afterwards to meet some others. I excused myself after this. His name is Edgar Vargas. I don't know where he is right now. I honestly don't care.

Worth pointing out that Edgar was eventually fired.

Read the thread for the rest. Awful stuff and even more shocking that the behavior came from a member of the HR team. We need to do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
This is very disappointing and sad to hear.

Game development is a hard enough job as is, and undergoing abuse in the workplace can be mentally damaging.

I hope the shit-heels responsible get outed.

data

Oct 25, 2017
It's terrible to have this happen at any company, but especially so from Insomniac that it hits harder.

Man, who would've thought that they protected sexual harassers even with evidence?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Man, I expected far better from Insomniac 😞

Fucking hell man, I hope all the victims speak up and get the strength to move on from their trauma. And I hope all the scum bags who tormented them get what's coming.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Now that they're owned by Sony hopefully there will be a thorough investigation into this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Well that's disappointing.

I hope this will make them act, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Terrible news. Especially the 'comes from the very top' part. It unfortunately happens far too often that this sort of stuff is dismissed, covered up or otherwise protected. Hope this leads to big changes.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Sony comes down on the remaining predator there they mentioned and dies more at the top to stop things like this from continuing

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just got done reading this thread. My heart goes out to them and the women that suffered while at Insomniac. They're very brave for speaking out. This is a patriarchal, sexist work culture that needs to change, and the people who engaged in it need to be held responsible.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Like others, I just kinda expected better from Insomniac. Idk why but fuck when she say "from the very top" does she mean Ted Price?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
This is one of the most disgusting things I've read in a while. Just awful. Very disappointed in Insomniac.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is fairly recent... I expect full action from insomniac

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's safe to say this stuff probably happens everywhere and it's just a matter of time, people will eventually have the support of friends / co-workers and family to speak up an it's going to keep happening and that's ok, because these people need to be removed from the work place. Certainly shouldn't be protected. The office shouldn't be a hunting ground for game and your power in the company shouldn't give you free reign to just prey on people.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Unreal when it seems like a guarantee that every time I log in we have multiple new stories of a horrid streamer, website, or developer experience for women or minorities. Of course these need to come to light as that's how we fix things and get rid of the people, but damn this stuff is everywhere and it's depressing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad they found the courage to speak out about this. What a horrible environment to endure and be suppressed within.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they didn't do anything, I don't expect them to take action.

I can only hope Sony can step in here.
Things happen when these statements come out as opposed to before they come out. That's how this disgusting cycle works.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's been a tsunami of revelations in the last few days. Hopefully every new one makes someone still in a shitty situation feel more confident that if they speak something will be done.

Hopefully Sony sort this out.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal when it seems like a guarantee that every time I log in we have multiple new stories of a horrid streamer, website, or developer experience for women or minorities. Of course these need to come to light as that's how we fix things and get rid of the people, but damn this stuff is everywhere and it's depressing.
The problem is that it's really prevalent, but people don't just come out with it because of a multitude of reasons, one being as you can see in the tweet, they fear it will kill their career prospects.

Other people coming out have given courage to others to act so that's a good sign, I can only hope that changes occur and not just truths coming out.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Can't imagine how difficult it must be to speak out as a victim in all of this. I admire each and every one of them and really hope this encourages real change at this company, and all other affected companies we have been hearing this about. The entire industry needs an overhaul in so many ways.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Yeah, I just got done reading this thread. My heart goes out to them and the women that suffered while at Insomniac. They're very brave for speaking out. This is a patriarchal, sexist work culture that needs to change, and the people who engaged in it need to be held responsible.
It seems like the entire tree is rotten from the core industry wide, how do you even begin to fix something like that?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusting, and even more so that a predator is still allegedly employed there

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
They are so brave to come forward, I really hope their fears are unfounded and they don't get blacklisted from the industry, they deserve better than how they were treated in the past and for the future.