• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
There are things about Doom 3 that were really well done, the lighting and level design in particular. But the guns suck and the combat loop of monsters spawning at your back gets old really fast.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% agree OP.
At 44 years old I am fortunate in the fact I was able to play both games at release.
Make no mistake about it. Doom was fucking mind blowing when it came out and historically speaking much, much, much more impactful and important in the overall history of the medium itself.
Doom 3 however just appeals to my personal taste more.
I am replaying it again right now actually for at least the 4th time and even though I am playing it on the Switch and the previous times have been on PC, I am still enjoying the absolute hell out of it like it is a brand new experience.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I loved how story driven Doom 3 was. That's what I really love in an FPS really, when it manages to focus on story without taking focus away from the atmosphere and action.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Doom 3 is an excellent game. Resident Evil 4 is an excellent game. Both feature departures from their roots, and ironically kind of switch design ethos.

But you'd meet plenty of people who claim that both sequels are not a "Doom" or "Resident Evil" game.

Funnily enough, both series have recently received a sequel/reboot that tries to emulate the core design ethos of the first title in the series... hm...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I want to pick up Doom 3 for Switch. Someone convince me.
It's like a super creepy Half Life 2 which, 16 years later, is still an impressive visual achievement. It's also very lengthy for the price they're selling it. Most other devs would charge a much heftier price tag for a legacy port like Doom 3. You're essentially getting one of the show pieces of the 00's that used to be the benchmark for high quality gaming PCs.

Also, essentially my opinion on the entire Doom series:
Joey-Trifle.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Here's a fun fact that I actually learned on ERA a year or so ago.

Most people started their DOOM journey with og DOOM, and depending on whether you began on Final DOOM or the PC Version of Doom determined how you liked Doom 3 or Doom 2016. Apparently unbeknownst to most people, Playstation DOOM (FINAL DOOM) and PC DOOM had totally different soundtracks.

PS Doom had a very atmospheric, near horror sound. Very little music. The game was scary as hell.
PC Doom had a metal soundtrack and felt a lot closer to DOOM 2016.

I started with FINAL DOOM and absolutely loved Doom 3 because I thought Doom was in the Resident Evil / horror family, and that DOOM 3 was the evolution of that. When Doom 2016 came out, i hated it. Just fast paced kills and soundtrack.

I finally went back to play the old DOOM in the PC way, which allowed me to see what everybody else saw in 2016.

I still prefer my Doom 3/ atmospheric Doom, but it was fascinating to learn how much the score/ soundtrack changed the game.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
It's like a super creepy Half Life 2 which, 16 years later, is still an impressive visual achievement. It's also very lengthy for the price they're selling it. Most other devs would charge a much heftier price tag for a legacy port like Doom 3. You're essentially getting one of the show pieces of the 00's that used to be the benchmark for high quality gaming PCs.

Also, essentially my opinion on the entire Doom series:
Joey-Trifle.gif
Great pitch, bought!

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Other people have already pointed out much of what was wrong with Doom 3. But there's something else to be said: the flanking SUCKED.

The player moved with the grace of a lead balloon, yet it had no discernible inertia. This, coupled with the anemic Nerf shotgun, made close quarters shooting while straffing a miserable experience.

And that's a mortal sin for a game like Doom.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Doom 3 is good but I feel like it's a little too long for it's own good. And towards the end of the game it just starts to play like a crappy doom 1. The weapons feel kind of lifeless and the level design (visually) starts to turn into a weird 2004 version of the originals with hallways and little closets in the walls for no real reason. It makes the levels feel totally "fake" when the intro sections make the world feel really believable (architecturally). Still a fun game though, but having replayed it last week I feel like a lot of the design elements and game feel are starting to age.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
strafing and the shotgun being bad were huge blows.

But man what a game. The plasma gun reload noise... so cathartic.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3 is also my favorite Doom game. Still is. I even like it more than Doom 2016 (mainly because the monster arenas get a bit old). I liked the survival horror approach of it.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I have very fond memories of playing Doom 3 at launch, shitting my pants all the time and going to the menu because of a jumpscare.

The game may not be what people wanted, but it's certainly a great game.
Shooting feels good, atmosphere is amazing and I really appreciate the sound design. As a horror game it's really good.

To me, I put it side by side with Doom 2016 in terms of quality

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily like it more than the other games, but there was a real backlash against Doom 3 in the years after its release. I've been saying for years it's a legit great game, just very different from the other games. I wish the modern versions allowed you to toggle the flashlight style from original to BFG edition - as the original style was and remains a completely unique if not contrived approach to horror - but that's my only complaint.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2 is the worst Doom game. As in, the worst package of doom levels and gameplay designed by id software. Doom 2 is an essential buy for the sheer amount of community .wads, but the levels slurp meatball ass compared to 1. It's a weapon and enemy expansion.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Doom 2 is the worst Doom game. As in, the worst package of doom levels and gameplay designed by id software. Doom 2 is an essential buy for the sheer amount of community .wads, but the levels slurp meatball ass compared to 1. It's a weapon and enemy expansion.

I dunno man. I actually liked that some of the larger levels had to be unwrapped rather than simply traversed. But that's me I guess.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

Worse than Doom 1, sure, but I'd take Doom 2's levels/gameplay over Doom 3's every single time no questions asked.

Don't think there's a single good level in Doom 3.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm playing doom 3 for the first time on switch right now. Still in the early stages but I like it a lot. I'm only questioning whether to favour the PS4 version as the switch analog sticks are ass. But playing it in bed is really fun.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
They're all great fun, although 3 does have some easy to pick on flaws. Obviously it apes SS2 a bit, but they probably could have gone all the way and made it more of an FPSRPG immersive sim. Like if DOOM 3 was closer to something like Prey 2017, it would be pretty special.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While arguing about Doom 3 enemy design, I just miss weird shooters that play with scale. At least the baron was an obvious giant.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I'll praise your bravery, but not your taste.

Nah Doom 3 is good too, it doesn't deserve the bad reputation it has.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Doom 3 was a good game for the genre that it was in, but that was a different genre than I was expecting and I was therefore very disappointed.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The thing with Doom 3's enemies is that many of them felt like Quake 2 rejects or had no character at all. The Cacos were forgettable as hell, the Vulgar was unremarkable, Vagary was more Hexen than Doom, the Imp was a bit of a misfire (FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of any version of it since the spiked teddy bear look), the Lost Soul was okay, I guess, but it lacked polys even back then, so it looked like ass. Others like the Wraith, the Commando and the Arch-Vile were just there. And why they were all different shades of grey?

There were a couple of decent ones. I really liked the Cherub and the Tick/Trite. The Pinky was cool in its own way. I wasn't a huge fan, but I liked what they did to it. Same with the Hell Knight, which I didn't like enough, but had its own character. I can appreciate that.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worse than Doom 1, sure, but I'd take Doom 2's levels/gameplay over Doom 3's every single time no questions asked.

Don't think there's a single good level in Doom 3.

I don't super care for Doom 3, but I can appreciate the attempt to experiment with the franchise. Obviously it really wasn't the future of Doom as we know now, but it's a decent game for the time that makes it's case for existing.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'd honestly enjoy a new Nu Doom in the same vein as Doom 3, but with some actual care this time around. 2016 onwards is basically Brutal Doom on steroids, so I think I'd make sense to bring the sense of dread from the original games with a darker and slower paced (but still brisk) Doom.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You know, I adored Doom 2 back in the day, but I think after replaying the series I'm going to have to soundly agree with this. The second half of the game is just an aimless mess, with quantity over quality being the mantra. They were clearly very proud of the increased monster count, but that just leads to several levels being an absolute slog.

Still, worth it for that Super Shotgun. Lordy.