• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Onions are easily the best vegetable. So versatile, good as an ingredient within a dish or a great side on their own in several ways.

Onions + Garlic is one of the greatest duos of all time.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017

If I invited you over for a home made Bolognese and saw you do this

hangover2.gif

Same goes to anyone who covers food in ketchup. It's a dip, not a dish.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Onions are like Ogres. They both have layers, so if you love onions, you like Ogres.

Shrek is an Ogre.

You love Shrek.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I invited you over for a home made Bolognese and saw you do this

hangover2.gif

Same goes to anyone who covers food in ketchup. It's a dip, not a dish.

If the onion bits in the bolognese are small and VERY soft, so you don't really notice them, I can deal with it.

Onions are like Ogres. They both have layers, so if you love onions, you like Ogres.

Shrek is an Ogre.

So you love Shrek.

Ogres are smelly, have bad texture, and taste awful. Just like onions.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
When I was in Fes, I had these little white onion pearls that had been soaking in lemon juice and vinegar. They were meant to be eaten like popcorn. I didn't think I'd go for it, but they were actually really refreshing.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Onions go in a massive majority of recipes so yeah you're not the only one.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm with you EBF. onions are amazing!! i eat them raw a lot and they're very good sauteed

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I always die a little inside when a picky eater says "I don't like onions" like come on dude. Onions are the flavor backbone of so much in cooking. I truly couldn't live without them. Just because someone doesn't like shitty dehydrated onion cubes on their awful McDonald's hamburger they swear the vegetable off completely but I can pretty much guarantee they love dozens of foods flavored with onion.

Caramelized onions must be one of the absolute most amazing flavors in the world.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to describe this but I can't eat onions unless they've been grated. It really makes it hard for me to go out to eat because almost every menu is full of dishes that are made with onions in some form. I don't remember how this onion phobia started but I do remember that it wasn't always this way. I mean I used to be able to eat a bunch of white castle burgers in one sitting and those are more onion than meat. There was this one time that I had House Special Fried Rice and I guess whoever took my order ignored the "May I please have this with no onions" request I made so there were crunchy onions in my first 2 or 3 bites. I sat there for however long it took to remove every onion I could find from my plate. After I was done I had another plate stacked a few inches high just with onions.

Is there some kind of therapy for this? I don't want to be like this anymore because I know onions taste good. They're in most curries I eat and I love those.
Is it the texture? Cognitive behavioral therapy is made for things like this, but finding the source of the issue might help too. Texture problems are common in people on the autism spectrum, for instance.
Yep, onions are amazing.

Funny I didn't like them until I was in the my 20's.

I still don't like fried onion rings though.
That's not really odd. Taste buds don't fully develop until adulthood, so appreciation for strong or subtle flavors changes at that point.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I used to hate onions. My uncle made me sauteed onions when I was very young and I was quite grossed out by them.

Then I eventually sauteed my own onions, with some garlic.

My. God. I will never go back. Had I the space, I would buy one of those huge mesh bags of onions just for myself.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love onions.

I'm planning on making some French onion soup this weekend. Cooking 6 lbs of onions down to almost nothing over the course of 3 hours. Super concentrated and sweet onion flavor. Amazing.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Onions are the flavor base for so many recipes from so many ethnic cooking styles. Very worldly.

ohabs

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
zU8jd1g.jpg

I would say onions are my favorite food. I'll ask for extra onions on nearly any dish. Here's the best onion rings I've ever eaten from a nearby diner.