• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whiteside

Oct 28, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I use onions in just about everything savoury, and yes French Onion soup is the best.

Last nights dinner was sausages with mustard mash and veg, with thick onion gravy, delicious.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm calling the cops. Nothing ruins a good burger or taco more. This thread makes me sick.

r/onionhate knows what's up.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can handle highly cooked onion in most things, but fresh onion in any form is immediate kryptonite for me, it goes so far to ruin any food that it infects with its raw flavor.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I used to have an actual fear of onions.

It's only the last 2 years that I learnt to love eating them.

I still don't like the look of them.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Onions almost always improve a dish:

-pizza,sandwich, burritos, burger, and especially In Indian food. Red onions for sandwiches and burgers, white for burritos and pizza imo. But you can't go wrong.

Raw, sautéed, grilled, steamed anyway it's eaten, it's my favorite vegetable. As a kid, I'd eat whole onions raw lol.

Great thread op.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how to describe this but I can't eat onions unless they've been grated. It really makes it hard for me to go out to eat because almost every menu is full of dishes that are made with onions in some form. I don't remember how this onion phobia started but I do remember that it wasn't always this way. I mean I used to be able to eat a bunch of white castle burgers in one sitting and those are more onion than meat. There was this one time that I had House Special Fried Rice and I guess whoever took my order ignored the "May I please have this with no onions" request I made so there were crunchy onions in my first 2 or 3 bites. I sat there for however long it took to remove every onion I could find from my plate. After I was done I had another plate stacked a few inches high just with onions.

Is there some kind of therapy for this? I don't want to be like this anymore because I know onions taste good. They're in most curries I eat and I love those.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Whenever I cook a roast I also thrown a couple of chopped onions underneath. Not only does it keep the meat out of direct contact with the tray but they cook in the juice and fat that comes out. Bootiful! I also like some quick pickled onions in a sandwich made with leftover coldcuts. Just slice some fairly finely and put them in a bowl with a pinch of salt and some vinegar then basically just squeeze them together for 30 seconds. Put it on top of the meat and it's a really nice contrast between the soft, savoury meat and the crisp, acidic onions.

I sometimes even just pickle them in a jar as it's ridiculously easy. Just sterilise a jar in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes. Take it out and throw in your sliced onions. Then add a good teaspoon each of salt and sugar before filling the jar 2/3 with vinegar (not malt!), 1/3 water and whatever herbs and spices you like. It's then ready to go the next day and will keep for a couple of months in a fridge. The best thing is that you can just throw in pretty much any raw veg you want. So if you have some leftover carrots/peppers/cauliflower/green beans etc that will likely end up in the bin just pickle them.

They're such an underrated vegetable, probably a toss up between them and potatoes as to my favourite. Certainly in the UK they don't get the respect they deserve, more often seen as an addition to a dish rather than as the centerpiece.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest fan i am of onions in its natural state, chopped in small dices. Make chivitos and hamburguers delicious.
Sliced as thin half rings in salads is also great.
Its also fucking fantastic chopped in small dices to make the "sofrito" sauce with meat and tomato to make pasta. Damn.

Not a big fan of them when they are carmelized or grilled.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also like onions very much.
Naturally very spicy onions are the best though (raw of course). The moment where you just regret that big bite...I love it.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Onions are the best. A salad without red onions or a bbq without tonnes of onions cooked up is just a waste.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Onions are disgusting. They make me puke. Worst part is how menus at restaurants incredibly rarely mention whether there's onions in the dish or not, so ordering is often a mess. "Does this have onions in it?" "Yes." "Ok, does this have onions in it?" "Yes." "Do you have anything that doesn't have onions in it?" "Uuhh...I think this one doesn't, but I'll go check".

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate onions. Other food with onion flavor (especially garlic) is cool, but fuck eating actual bits of onion. Onion rings on a burger ruin it for me.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Love onions, raw best of all. Handy parenting hint, when a recipe calls for onions but you know the kids will spot them and vomit mid meal, I get around it by grating them. Just use a normal cheese grater and grate them into a dish, they are no longer visible but add the required flavour. And make a Dopiaza Curry at least once in your life. You will spend the next 10 hours farting onions but it's so worth it. Ooh also an onion tart is a thing of wonder, cook about 5 chopped onions in lots of butter until fully caramilised and place in a pastry base before adding the usual Quiche mix (Eggs, Cream, cheese) season with lots of black pepper and you have a wonderful thing that even people who hate onions will like.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Onions are indispensable in cooking almost anything and anybody denying this probably doesn't know how to cook

chopped raw red onions on a hot dog or other bunsausage is beyond anything on earth or in heaven

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I work with adult men who refuse to eat Onion and pick it out of food

Something that drives me nuts as I remember doing it in till I was 14

but then I saw the light

Onion and Garlic are the flavour makers

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, onions are fantastic. Love them on my burgers, fries, salads, you name it. I'm one step removed from eating an onion like an apple like that guy from Seinfeld. I'll never do that because as much as I love it, I still need it beside other food, but god damn are onions good. My favorite is either red or Spanish.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, onions are amazing.

Funny I didn't like them until I was in the my 20's.

I still don't like fried onion rings though.

Oct 27, 2017
Shouts out to green onions aka scallions too. Tasty af additive to all kinds of Asian food, especially in a green onion pancake or chopped and topped over a noodle soup.

Oct 27, 2017
Or your tastebuds grew old and useless. Otherwise you'd still know onions are awful.
Nah. Onions is life. Its so good you start crying in the presence of it. It deserves respeK.
birdman-respek.jpg