• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
He was very written very differently in the first and second half of the game. First was fine, but the second seemed a bit much to me, bordering on mockery.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
If you find a flamboyant male character offensive or problematic, the problem is most certainly you.

Nice assumption your making.

I didn't find him offensive because of his flamboyance, but I had the feeling I was ment to laugh with him. So I didn't had the feeling it was a sincere portrayal, and that's why I found his portrayal somewhat offencie. I didn't finish DQXI due to time restraints, so I didn't see his whole arc and I am - in part thanks to this topic - very well aware that apparently his character is handled well further in the story.

For what it's worth, I found the portrayal of Eric en Sex Education on Netflix, who is similarly flamboyant, absolutely brilliant. So, if it's me, then it's because I was maybe too sensitive about it and assumed to quick he was played of for laughs.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gay, but I find Sylvando a great character and I dont think he mocks gay people, it is actually a great character that is respected by the party and a with a good personal story overall.
But not being gay myself maybe i dont have the sensibility to correctly judge him.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm not sure if he is actually gay or not or just highly effeminate but regardless as a straight dude I fucking love that guy. Best character in the game by far in terms of story arc and just being a fabulous bad ass. I don't see him as mocking anything and just embracing who he is and everyone embraces him for it. Great shit to be honest.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I found his flamboyance and almost unflinching competence as a positive, but it's not at all a stretch to see how it might be construed as caricature.
He would be a caricature if his identity of being a very queer character is all he has to offer in terms of personality but those who played the game and reached far enough knows Slyvando is a lot more than that.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a straight guy so my opinion is probably irrelevant or wrong, but I never felt he was mocking gay people.

Sylvando is beloved by his friends and family, he's respected and relied upon by those same people and the game lets you know that through his actions and the way the world and his friends treat him.

Not only that but he is a bad ass who kicks ass on a regular basis. The game never makes fun of his flamboyance or makes you feel like it's a weakness. The game lets the character be what he wants to be without making him a "throwaway character" like I often see on TV or in the movies.

I thought Sylvando was great and I hope I am not misreading that.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
15-fw1zlj.jpg

Untitled-270.jpg

Heck yeah, he was.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm on board for flamboyant characters alongside other representation. Tokenism is a problem.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
best character in the game. the OST is overall pretty average/bad but his theme is actually pretty good. those gifs kinda spoil the game btw. that stuff was pretty memorable to me. def. one of the highlights.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hear there are some differences in his portrayal in the original japanese, but in the localized version at least he's fantastic; pretty much my favorite character along with Veronica.

I did think his troupe was a bit much tho, and there were like two moments in the story where it felt the game was mocking/judging him, which left a sour taste, but overall he's awesome.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Sylvando in my playthrough. Used him at every chance I could! I didn't find anything super offensive with him, but I'm not gay, so I can't speak with any authority on the subject.

One thing I do know is that as a black dude, I find a lot more non-black folk outraged and offended than my own folk when it comes to matters about us. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other communities that this happens in.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
A big part of it is also the fact that he's portrayed in a way that a lot of gay characters in a Japanese game/anime is portrayed. It reminded me of Bolson from Breath of the Wild

p20dcacqy3my.jpg

It's great to see that so many of you enjoyed him too! His skills are also really handy in battle. Let's not do the "if you find flamboyance to be gay, you're the problem" thing. That accomplishes nothing.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big part of it is also the fact that he's portrayed in a way that a lot of gay characters in a Japanese game/anime is portrayed. It reminded me of Bolson from Breath of the Wild

p20dcacqy3my.jpg

It's great to see that so many of you enjoyed him too! His skills are also really handy in battle. Let's not do the "if you find flamboyance to be gay, you're the problem" thing. That accomplishes nothing.
The thing is though that Sylvando is an empowered character with a lot of agency who is accepted and respected by everyone, and never once comes off as mocking or denigrating.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
When Sylvando showed up, I worried that he was going to be yet another example of a horrible trope I've encountered in a lot of Japanese media - the flamboyant character who is constantly making unwanted advances on the rest of the cast.

Instead, he was respectful, passionate, and well-treated / accepted by the other characters in the game. That alone makes him one of the better (if still stereotypical) representations of LGBT characters that I've seen in Japanese games + anime. I'm not qualified to say whether that makes him a good representation, but I at least feel like he avoids the all-too-common worst-case scenario.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Straight, but I thought he was great; nobody insults him and he's incredibly competent/powerful, which made it work for me. I could totally see why someone would find him/The Parade overly stereotypical and be uncomfortable with it based on that, though.

I also think the accent stuff doesn't help, but that extends to the game as a whole.

EDIT: Above post is a great way of putting it.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
The thing is though that Sylvando is an empowered character with a lot of agency who is accepted and respected by everyone, and never once comes off as mocking or denigrating.
To the other characters? No. You're correct.

To the player? I was pretty upset when he first appeared and started calling everyone "honey" and "darling" before I spent more time with him and learned to love him, lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
When Sylvando showed up, I worried that he was going to be yet another example of a horrible trope I've encountered in a lot of Japanese media - the flamboyant character who is constantly making unwanted advances on the rest of the cast.

Instead, he was respectful, passionate, and well-treated / accepted by the other characters in the game. That alone makes him one of the better (if still stereotypical) representations of LGBT characters that I've seen in Japanese games + anime. I'm not qualified to say whether that makes him a good representation, but I at least feel like he avoids the all-too-common worst-case scenario.

That was how I felt too. Nearly every time gay characters pop up in JRPGs they're ultra-flamboyant AND awkwardly, creepily flirty. The fact they instead went for more of a "dude who knows way more about what's going on than he makes it seem" tack with him and made him genuinely invested in improving people's lives was such a refreshing change from the norm.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Sylvando is a great gay character that was handled so much better than I could ever have imagined from a Japanese studio. I'm gonna assume this is partially thanks to the localization team? Anyway he's a great strong character that deserves praise.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
That was how I felt too. Nearly every time gay characters pop up in JRPGs they're ultra-flamboyant AND awkwardly, creepily flirty. The fact they instead went for more of a "dude who knows way more about what's going on than he makes it seem" tack with him and made him genuinely invested in improving people's lives was such a refreshing change from the norm.
Sounds like someone I know.

Niles_Room.png

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
As a gay dude, to be honest I really want more flamboyantly feminine portrayals of gay men in video games that are explicitly not meant to be just a joke or a creeper - there are actually quite few that aren't that, and I think sometimes well-meaning people, in media in general, are too obsessed with creating "he's gay but in every other way appears like a tough straight dude, they're just like everyone else you guys!" which I just tend to find boring and bland, to be honest. Sylvando is great for that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
He was an amazing character and one of my favorites in a long time.

He was always a strong, positive force and never really the butt of a joke or scorn/derision.

He also shows how you can artistically use stereotype to subvert expectations and tell a story/show a lesson. If it's well done it can add a lot. Our own expectations I think helped tell the story of acceptance. A lot of people would be thrown off kilter by his demeanor at first but then we have to learn acceptance to. He is who his is with no apologies.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Characters like this are complicated. He's a really camp character with clear gay coding, but without actually taking the final step to actually acknowledge him as a gay character. Characters like this can be fun, but when they're the extent of gay representation, I won't blame anyone for rolling their eyes a bit. You can easily read a "this is what they are like" take out of an individual character carrying their entire group's representation, which could have been avoided so easily by being bolder with the diversity of your characters. The same thing happens with video games and race.

Ultimately though, if you Sylvando is fun and inoffensive, there's no harm in enjoying him. There's plenty of room for camp male characters in video games. Certain types of masculinity are overrepresented in this medium, and I'll embrace any attempt to broaden the spectrum.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As a not gay dude, I think my initial impression was he would be a gay stereotype. So I was pleasantly surprised when he was portrayed, and received, so positively.

He also saved my butt on more than one occasion. Couldn't have beaten the game without him. Thanks, Sylv!

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I'm not sure I understand why people want more flamboyant gay characters instead of more non-flamboyant gay characters? At this point that would be a lot more novel especially in JRPGs. It's kind of a problem to me when every gay characters in one game (Sylvando + The Parade in DQXI) are all flamboyant. That's where it becomes stereotypical.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a gay man, I think he's one of the best characters in the game. It's rare to find gay characters that aren't heteronormative and aren't treated as a joke in video games (perhaps media in general). He's a clown, he's a knight, he's queer and proud and fierce and I love it. Bonus points for having one of the best character arcs in the game.

As a straight person I found him kind of offensive to be honest. He felt very clichéd and goofy to me, and i couldn't think but 'aren't we passed representation like this?'. I was a bit suprised how positive he was received by the gay community, so I'm probably wrong? :P
You are.

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
I felt Sylvando may have towed the line a couple of times but overall is just a flamboyant and engaging character. His story was one of the highlights of the game for me and also seeing him strive to entertain everyone whatever the circumstances. He is also competent, inspiring to several minor characters in game and he gained nuance as you learned his history and why he holds himself to such a high standard professionally and ethically. As a straight person, take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I did not feel he was meant to mock gay people.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very early on but he seems pretty cool to me. Like, thus far he's been the most useful cast member, arguably. And everyone acknowledges him as such too. I don't think that's making fun of gay people. He's flamboyant, but he's also dashing and popular and basically fucking legendary when you meet him.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
I'm not sure I understand why people want more flamboyant gay characters instead of more non-flamboyant gay characters? At this point that would be a lot more novel especially in JRPGs. It's kind of a problem to me when every gay characters in one game (Sylvando + The Parade in DQXI) are all flamboyant. That's where it becomes stereotypical.
It's a tough situation. I feel that Japanese games almost exclusively use stereotypical flamboyant or horny gay characters, while as western games feature more ultra masculine/stoic gay characters (if at all–they usually default to lesbians instead like in movies and TV).

Deleted member 13642

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wondered about gay men's reaction to this as well. He was definitely a walking stereotype, but also one of the strongest people in the world. Most interesting character in that story by far.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
He subverts your expectations. If anything he is a very positive example of somebody who behaves outside of "social norms".

Many times you see characters like that reduced to a stereotype. While his flamboyant nature is a big part of who he is, it's not his only defining trait. He is strong both mentally and physically, noble, charismatic and fabulous at the same time.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
He's one of the better characters in the game. Also, Sugiyama is a shithead but he doesn't have influence on character personalities and such as far as I'm aware.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all the positivity around this character in this thread has me wanting to play the game more.

*goes back to deciding if I should play on PS4 or Switch*

p20dcacqy3my.jpg

Bolson is an interesting example. In the US English localization at least, his sexuality was never confirmed, but I seem to recall the script left it open (I think he uses a gender-neutral term at one point to refer to a potential partner). It's somewhat fascinating to see how his design evolved in the BotW art book.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Embracing gay characters in media doesn't require erasing flamboyant characters. You just have to give them some depth and treat them like people.

Sylvando is great.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
He's the best character in the game by far. Both from a writing and gameplay standpoint :P

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017
From what I'm reading he reminds my a lot of bon-chan from one piece. Gay stereotype and ends up becoming ur favorite

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for DQ XI S with its additional stories about each of your party characters, I feel like this will be interesting.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played through DQXI, but I feel like the rule of thumb is that if there's a camp gay dude in something, they're usually intended as a form of mockery.

The positive reception of Sylvando however gives me hope that we can acknowledge that camp and "effeminate" gay men exist and are deserving of love and respect.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

It's complicated. I don't mind the relatively recent Western tendency to portray gay characters as very plain, but the stoic borderline dude-bro looking people except they're gay so this makes them unique thing is like the "bald white soldier guy" meme of the last generation. This grated on me a lot with Mass Effect for example, where the gay characters in general are aggressively plain and boring - in a series with such great, memorable characters and designs, all the male same-sex options are literally the most boring people imaginable.

This is a well-meaning impulse (gay characters are normal! they're just like everyone else!) but it also comes off as completely boring and kind of lazy, like they're just afterthoughts. "We made this dude - make him gay I guess, it'll make him slightly more interesting." Sylvando is cool because everything about his character revolves around his flamboyant expression of his homosexuality while being genuinely appreciated by all involved and not being a big creeper.

The "stereotypical" thing is the complicated part - because obviously stereotypes sometimes exist for a reason and a lot of gay guys, myself included have known or do still know some realll flamboyant folks, and they're loved and respected just as much as anyone else. Those people should still be portrayed in media even if a lot of people see nothing but a feminine gay guy, think "this is a stereotype, it is now problematic" and tune out. Canadians loving hockey and poutine is a stereotype, too, but lemme tell ya, a lot of Canadians really do love them some hockey and poutine.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel better if she didn't have attacks like "Sexy Beam" and "Hip Drop". Especially cause those traits don't seem like part of her character most the time.

And all the bunny suit shit. Jade joining the party was when my experience with the game really started to fray because her portrayal in the story doesn't really mesh with the way the game itself wants to objectify her all the time.

Jun 21, 2018
From what I've watched, there's nothing to be offended about here. Trying to find something to be offended about seems like a waste of time.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
And all the bunny suit shit. Jade joining the party was when my experience with the game really started to fray because her portrayal in the story doesn't really mesh with the way the game itself wants to objectify her all the time.
100% agree. Wish they had handled her better because she's a cool character aside from all that.

Oct 27, 2017

I think diversity is important, but speaking as a gay man more effeminate/flamboyant men are often the most vulnerable sects of the gay community. The problem was their inclusion in games prior was always seen as a joke/stereotype instead of crafting actual characters beyond their flamboyant manner of speech. From what I'm reading, it doesn't seem like Sylvando isn't just boiled down to being the super flamboyant one/isn't the butt of every joke, and has a lot more going on with him which is good.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm gay, Sylvando is simply amazing, he doesn't mock gay people, he is practically a celebration of feminine gay men, he is loved by the characters and by his father.
He is not a joke character, he is not weak, he has an arc about acceptance.
I love Sylvando.
This is exactly how I viewed his character. Sylvando is just amazing and I demand they put him in Dragon Quest Heroes 3

"Sexy Jade" though really took me out of the game for a bit.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad to see some of the posts in this thread about him being a positive character and that his story goes good places. Myself and my brother were both concerned that the game was going to fuck it up, and I have only played about half way through, so good to hear it treats his story with respect.

Jade on the other hand, and even the sisters, definitely get shit on in terms of outfits etc.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Sylvando is amazing in how kind and accepting he is. Growing up in a place filled with toxic masculinity, he found a way to escape that and be himself. Giving people something to smile about and always being a helping hand. It also turns out his dad is way more into it than he thought and any misgivings are cleared up.

That Sylvando is being as campy as camp can be is great, but obviously it only captures a small part of the gay spectrum. What's more important is that he shows you can be proud of the person you want to become and that sharing it with others is caring.

I think that's the big takeaway here. To take pride in expressing yourself. Sylvando is also a great role model. He's not the joke of anything, he's the Great Sylvando. Amazing in all his glory, darling.