• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just quit my first remote play test after 2 years in disgust. I have a 100Mbit internet connection. The Ps4 is wired to that and I have a strong WiFI signal. I basically sit 2m away from the Playstation and have the lowest remote settings active (360p + normal frame rate) and the performance is atrocious. I was never one to complain about stuttering or bad FPS in games but this experience was simply unplayable. I tried Vampire and the the sound and image kept stuttering all the time + sudden lags of several seconds.

I think this feature has immense potential for the PS5 but at this state it is simply unusable.

Anyone having a better experience?

EDIT: tried it on a Microsoft Surface Book

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
the times I used remote play i had no issues, aside from Vita not having real L2 and R2 buttons, but yeah, more often than not I'm surprised at how good it is/works

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The optimal setup is your PS4 connected via Ethernet and a direct wifi connection to your Vita.

That said action games are unplayable, it's not bad for turn based RPGs though - I wouldn't have finished Persona 5 without it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just quit my first remote play test after 2 years in disgust. I have a 100Mbit internet connection. The Ps4 is wired to that and I have a strong WiFI signal. I basically sit 2m away from the Playstation and have the lowest remote settings active (360p + normal frame rate) and the performance is atrocious. I was never one to complain about stuttering or bad FPS in games but this experience was simply unplayable. I tried Vampire and the the sound and image kept stuttering all the time + sudden lags of several seconds.

I think this feature has immense potential for the PS5 but at this state it is simply unusable.

Meanwhile I'd been playing it with my Vita over wifi both ways while I was at my parents house about 50 miles away. And it's not just the Vita client, I also used it when I visited my friends 2000 miles away. Sadly the input lag was too bad to play most games, but it worked without any serious issues aside from that.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
At least for PC, Remote Play works really well for me.
There is the occasional dip in res and frame rate, but when it does that, it goes back to normal right away.
I play at 1080p with high frame rate. I have a PS4 Pro and a 300mbps ethernet connection for both the PS4 and the PC.

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile I'd been playing it with my Vita over wifi both ways while I was at my parents house about 50 miles away. And it's not just the Vita client, I also used it when I visited my friends 2000 miles away. Sadly the input lag was too bad to play most games, but it worked without any serious issues aside from that.

That is unbelievable and awesome.

So I guess somehow it works technically much better with a vita than a PC app

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really hope input lag is something they can cut down on in future iterations of Remote Play because I really love the idea of it. It's fine for some games, but playing something like Destiny PvP was impossible. Also it would be nice if they officially opened it up to non Sony phones.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Yeah it works fine for me. Your 100mb connection is download, you also need a good upload speed.

I just used it 60 miles away on my iPhone and it was fine other than using a touchscreen for every button is terrible for all but the most simple gameplay.

I also just hosted a shareplay session for the first time and worked flawlessly.

Yeah, I really hope input lag is something they can cut down on in future iterations of Remote Play because I really love the idea of it. It's fine for some games, but playing something like Destiny PvP was impossible. Also it would be nice if they officially opened it up to non Sony phones.
lol the first time I ever used this was with Destiny and worked pretty well.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm under the impression that remote play is very sensitive to interference due to the WiFi solutions Sony has in the PS4 and Vita. So people who play in an apartment building might see it as unplayable even when they are right next to the router/PS4 while others can see it as working great in their parents' house, 500 miles away in the middle of nowhere. It's what I have read online though so take with a pinch of salt.

Oct 25, 2017
Remote Play is amazing when used through the internet. However, if you're actually at home on your PS4 you shouldn't use it because there's some input lag that is inherently part of it. There is no way to get rid of the tiny input lag even with the perfect connection, something to do with the chip inside the PS4.

When I play games a hundred kilometers away it's acceptable, because it doesn't seem to add any input lag to the experience. But locally it sucks.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is where xCloud will come in to play, and hopefully PS Now too at some point. Being able to access and play your entire digital library wherever you are on any device.

Hopefully Sony improves PS Now latency and image quality, and let's you access all your games with it. Then Remote Play becomes redundant.

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
A good way to reduce input lag is to sign in with a second account from your pc and use your controller from your main account.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
lol the first time I ever used this was with Destiny and worked pretty well.
I thought it was perfectly acceptable for any of the PvE content, but the input lag was way too much on my setup to bother with it in PvP.

I'm under the impression that remote play is very sensitive to interference due to the WiFi solutions Sony has in the PS4 and Vita. So people who play in an apartment building might see it as unplayable even when they are right next to the router/PS4 while others can see it as working great in their parents' house, 500 miles away in the middle of nowhere. It's what I have read online though so take with a pinch of salt.
This might be my issue since I live in an apartment. I get a lot of dropped connections too even though I'm literally sitting 10 ft from the PS4.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The Vita doesn't support 5GHz so it's practically useless. Remote Play on my iPhone through R-Play is flawless. 60fps, 1080p, and fairly minimal input lag.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
This is where xCloud will come in to play, and hopefully PS Now too at some point. Being able to access and play your entire digital library wherever you are on any device.

Hopefully Sony improves PS Now latency and image quality, and let's you access all your games with it. Then Remote Play becomes redundant.
The way Remote Play works is the same as PS Now except instead of streaming off of Sony servers it streams off of your server(PS4).
The Vita doesn't support 5GHz so it's practically useless. Remote Play on my iPhone through R-Play is flawless. 60fps, 1080p, and fairly minimal input lag.
Works great on my iPhone and PC as well!

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, its never been very good.

First off, the lack of dedicated R2/L2, R3/L3 on the Vita winds up being a dealbreaker for most everything. Anything action packed requiring input accuracy is a joke. Various little connection drops/lag/buffering are always prevalent (PS4 wired up to a 150 M cable service, and bad with both direct or Wifi vita connection).

Only really turn based rpgs that didn't need dependable twitch input or R2/L2 for anything important were decently playable. I got some mileage out of playing Persona 5 (when the connection quality wasn't utter ass), but the vast majority of stuff just wasn't worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Were you playing via WiFi or 4g? I've used mine fine at home, though it really can get affected by WiFi interference, thankfully i'm At the end of the street so not too much interference. It's not perfect but good enough for most games that aren't fast. Steam link works fine for me also. Haven't tried it from outside home though as my upload isn't good enough.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've never had a good experience with it but I haven't tried in years. No matter what I did there was always lag.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I just wished they would unlock remote play officially from sony phones.

I switched from apple to android years ago partly because Android had a hacked remote play app to use for PS4 RP. But Sony quickly shut it down with updates and there isn't a working remote play app for android anymore, but now there seems to be one for IOS. ugggh!

Worked ok when using my phone or vita at home over the same network several years ago, but was never really reliable outside the house. I did retry recently briefly, out of the house, on an imac, seemed to be mostly working ok, but once I got to an actual gameplay part to really try it out, my connection was dropped. I do suspect my wife at home disconnected the ps4, because the fan gets real loud, and it annoys her. Because when I got home the power cord to the ps4 was pulled out. Thats a whole other issue though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The way Remote Play works is the same as PS Now except instead of streaming off of Sony servers it streams off of your server(PS4).
That's very simplistic.

Firstly, PS Now doesn't let you access your digital library. So it's not the same as Remote Play in that sense, at all.

And Remote Play is a less elegant solution than what xCloud (and potentially future iterations of PS Now) would theoretically offer in that relies on your PS4 being unused at home and also relies on a good network with decent upload speeds etc. And basically results in a hell of a lot more latency than a decent cloud solution would offer, as evidenced by this thread.

The difference in reliability and connection quality is the key reason why corporations use cloud servers like AWS and Azure these days instead of a NAS in the cupboard.

Oct 26, 2017
And people over st the DQ11 rage thread we're trying to act like remote play was a legitimate alternative to those who want portability but do not own the Switch.

The problems listed on the OP is why remote play isn't used as much as people think.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's really not my experience at all. It was pretty good when I used it to play Destiny and it's just gotten better, even when I'm out of town.

Is your PS4 connected to the internet via ethernet? Or wi-fi?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
And people over st the DQ11 rage thread we're trying to act like remote play was a legitimate alternative to those who want portability but do not own the Switch.

The problems listed on the OP is why remote play isn't used as much as people think.
Lol, but for those it works for it is a legitimate alternative. It is obviously more restricted because it relies on WiFi.

I think you're off base with that last comment, you simply have no data to back that up.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of different variables/gotchas with Remote Play and I've never been able to get the planets to align the right way for it to work well. On my Vitas, my phone, or PCs.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
This feature has worked really well for me.
Make sure to check some WiFi power saving option on Vita. It's totally un-intuitively named, so you probably have to switch it the opposite of what you have it right now.
Read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/2cn7tp/use_wifi_in_power_save_mode_was_this_option/
You should have the "Use WiFi in Power Save Mode" option *disabled*.
This bears repeating and the setting is immediately felt. I was getting resolution drops when gaming in bed on my Vita, with my router in the room next door (PS4 is wired). Then I thought to check this setting, knowing what it did, and was surprised that I hadn't turned it off. I then had a flawless experience.

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Man, so are some of you guys saying that because of built in technical reasons within the PS4, remote play won't work in the same apartment with WiFi? Would it be different if I use 4G on my PC through a phone hotspot?

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, but for those it works for it is a legitimate alternative. It is obviously more restricted because it relies on WiFi.

I think you're off base with that last comment, you simply have no data to back that up.

I don't think I'm offbase at all. Even if I don't have data the follow problems are: 1) you need to own a Vita if you want portability, and considering the Vita likely has small overlap with PS4 owners, you're talking a very small population base. 2) if the small population wasn't enough, you also have a series of connectivity issues to work with. Whether it's quality of internet (which still varies worldwide), or input lag.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I don't think I'm offbase at all. Even if I don't have data the follow problems are: 1) you need to own a Vita if you want portability, and considering the Vita likely has small overlap with PS4 owners, you're talking a very small population base. 2) if the small population wasn't enough, you also have a series of connectivity issues to work with. Whether it's quality of internet (which still varies worldwide), or input lag.
You don't need a Vita for portability. There's an unofficial app for iOS but also any Win 10 tablet or laptop will work.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a simple app you download and what does being niche have anything to do with it? Does that somehow change its usefulness?

Being niche has to do with the fact that not as many people will know or bother to use it. Thus, you can't really put it on the same level of something like a Switch. Usefulness has nothing to do with it.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incoming posts of it works great and also it's the worst.

For me it's the latter. Never been able to get it to work well on various devices, and especially not playable away from the ps4.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017

I dunno, I use it frequently and it works pretty well for me. Then again, I've never tried using it while I'm at home. First things first is to make sure your ps4 is connected via ethernet. Secondly, check your upload speed. It's more important than your download speed.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
150/100 fiber, hardwired. Have tried both direct connect and over the network. Have tried on multiple Vitas and PCs and with base ps4 and ps4 pro. I think it mainly comes down to the definition of what "works great." It works well enough to be "playable" but the lag is so bad I'd rather not.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to vary from one person to another.

Mine had always been great, i have remote play while being in different countries (USA-Canada) and it was still working fine. The biggwst issue i had was with the lack of L2-R2. On the vita...
I used to use the unofficial android app too developed by Twisted.. It worked wonderfully back then.. (a new version is coming soon btw)

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Just did a speed test:
Download: 95.1
Upload: 9.65

I mean that has to be enough right?
I dunno what the PSN requirements are but 9.65 shouldn't provide a stutter filled experience at the lowest streaming settings. My upload is around 30 up and I have a pro but, I'm able to stream at the highest settings.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Works well for me. I still feel like it is one of the more impressive features of both systems that no one talks about.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I use it almost daily in and out of the house with great results. In both the vita and my Xperia xz3.

I do most of my gaming using it. The only time I don't is if a game has HDR then I'll play it on my oled. Well technically all my devices are oled but you know what I mean

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017

Mine works reasonably well except from periodic massive stuttering / resolution drop every 5 minutes or so that last for about 10 seconds each. I have changed literally everything in my setup (different computer, different router, different PS4) and these stutter periods happen no matter what I do.

I still use it and pause whenever it happens :).

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I played bloodborne in a hotel in germany from my ps4 in norway at 1080p60 without much trouble.
Sounds like something is not correct with the network setup.

The client should basically just render a video stream. Even my xperia does it without hickups.

Edit: I did have some trouble on my phone I remember since it uses wifi for "location" shit it will disconnect the regular wifi and scan for surrounding APs which resulted in a disconnect/lag from the ps4. I had to turn off location to have it really stable. I see that you are using a surface, maybe that does the same thing?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest mistake with Remote Play is that PS4 only has one WiFi chip, and it is heavily prioritized PSN connection. RP connection can be used well only if PS4 is using Ethernet.

This needs to be changed with PS5. They need solution like with WiiU, which had a separate WiFi only for game video streaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't PS Remote Play the last-gen equivalent of Nvidia Go? Seems like Sony was 1st out of the gate but hasn't refined its tech to keep up with the times....

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Just quit my first remote play test after 2 years in disgust. I have a 100Mbit internet connection.

This doesn't mean anything if you're only doing this through your local network.

And I don't believe Remote Play even uses anywhere close to 100mbps anyway. Steam Streaming & Moonlight/Nvidia Game Share barely even use over that much and that's no (or minimal?) compression.

The Ps4 is wired to that and I have a strong WiFI signal. I basically sit 2m away from the Playstation and have the lowest remote settings active (360p + normal frame rate) and the performance is atrocious. I was never one to complain about stuttering or bad FPS in games but this experience was simply unplayable. I tried Vampire and the the sound and image kept stuttering all the time + sudden lags of several seconds.

Your issues could be because of a myriad of reasons. Maybe you're getting interference, maybe you need to change QoS settings on your router, maybe you need to open up some ports?

What router are you even using anyway? And this probably doesn't matter much, but are you using cat5, 5e, or 6 for your ethernet cord for PS4?

Have you tested the latency from your router to your surface book? Try pinging your router from your Surface.