• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
We hear a lot about the tiny little incredible details in games like Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, and Breath of the Wild. But you know which game doesn't get enough credit in that area? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. First of all, it's just an incredible looking game. The water in the game looks incredible (especially on Cheep Cheep Beach), the screen shines beautifully when you're directly facing the sun, and there's just so much detail everywhere. The dirty wheels of your kart get cleaned as soon as you go underwater, tracks actually get degraded with skid marks on the road, there's water droplets residue on your screen when you come back above ground from underwater sections (or when you get out of waterfalls, like in DK Jungle).

There's just so much stuff I've noticed. Then I started looking for more such details online, and found this amazing Reddit post. If you like MK8D, I'd say check it out, but the post has almost 300 images, so I thought I'd just post some of the ones I liked best in this thread.

Here we go! (Click at your own risk, there's loads of images in here-
(There's loads more in the Reddit post)
omYd3k3.jpg

Minimum height requirements for the rides over at Water Park.

Y6T1l2m.jpg

Parking area for team buses and central building over at Mario Kart Stadium.

t1zyIhK.jpg

Look at this little guy in Water Park.

L7una8Z.jpg

If you drive through these puff balls, they explode.
71oBXOU.jpg

5NR8yJh.jpg

That dolphin is wearing swimming goggles.

wrQYglY.jpg

Lights on the side of the road are on, but then the track flips, and there's sunlight, so the lights there are off-
v2h7N9g.jpg

And it's dark here again, so the lamps are back on-
GdWgRrN.jpg

tvCcSsA.jpg

There's a walkway in the cave in Mount Wario.

ctUTZwX.jpg

Peachy Statue of Liberty.

RwFEM4J.jpg

Random bird nest with eggs.

oULC68Z.jpg

Flight information over at Sunshine airport. 9 different flights to different courses with 3 different airlines.

nDehU6n.jpg

Snorkeling toad lol.

iq5z0j0.jpg

Shy guys snowboarding in the background.

Rf1Mzvm.jpg

Thanks for setting up all the Rainbow Roads, REXA.

h6pbADH.jpg

REXA shuttle.

qhdtQYF.jpg

Awesome Lakitu murals.

L31Xd6n.jpg

Daisy's Cruise, I think? There's a ship, two boats, an island, a lighthouse, and a chopper.

fHf6FD1.jpg

Lol nice

RmRhl7e.jpg

Lol nice

qFfMFKI.jpg

Luigi's Mansion is right next door to Baby Park.

3QhDjZN.jpg

Milk truck over at the Moo Moo Meadows. Later makes its way over to Toad Turnpike-
crTXtvt.jpg

b9lCWIy.jpg

There's a lighthouse at Cheep Cheep Beach too.

7mGUSal.jpg

Mural of Kongs of yore worshipping bananas over at DK Jungle.

v5btlAu.jpg

Clockwork diagrams over at Tick Tock Clock.

fNJZlS6.jpg

These snowmen tilt their heads to the track song.
7M6HwRz.jpg

oTeSWfs.jpg

A view of the cityscape from space in Rainbow Road 64. And here too, with the Peach Statue of Liberty right near the top-
qeT8RjC.jpg

U58unsW.jpg

Cheerleading Toads at Ice Ice Outpost are dressed for the weather.

ZjkG1lI.jpg

The Hyrule track. You can see Death Mountain in the distance.

IhgrtSb.jpg

The box this track came in.

FEDUmil.jpg

Mario Kart 8 poster in the background. Mario kart 8 exists in the world of Mario Kart 8 as well.

OXbU0yJ.jpg

Super Bell Subway takes you all around the Mario Kart world.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sense of place in Mario Kart 8 is insane, somehow not even something like Odyssey has it on that level.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those details go a long way towards making the Mario world feel like a real, cohesive world. More so than any other Mario related game. Really cool.

Also it's still one of the most gorgeous games ever made.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, i love how much effort MK goes into making what little of its world shown rather detailed and believable

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely staggering how a spin-off series has such incredibly beautiful worlds compared to the main series itself (barring Odyssey but even then the sheer variety in MK is astounding).

Also it's kinda funny how the world of MK is incredibly different compared to the regular Mario worlds (way more technology and urbanization).

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The sense of place in Mario Kart 8 is insane, somehow not even something like Odyssey has it on that level.
No Nintendo game yet matches it imo. (You don't have to interact with the world of course, which helps.)
That's what made MK8 shoot up to a new tier.

If we got a Mario RPG with 1/2 of this level of world building, ahh

edit:
didn't know about the peach statue.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
Man, I remember doing this with Mario Kart 64, just strolling around and exploring the 3D and not even caring about the races. If I had MK8 when I was that age instead, I'd be exploring this game for months enjoying all this. Especially the Animal Crossing track with all its seasons.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Acocording to the Mario Wiki, Sunshine Airport and Super Bell Subway have intercoms in English and (bad) German respectively.

The latter also has a subway map to other courses.

tumblr_ojwwrsmQSC1rrftcdo1_500.png

And a local information map that shows it runs near Toad Harbor and Moo Moo Meadows.

MK8_dSBS_City_Map.png

So that's four different courses, including 64 Rainbow Road, all in the same city.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I love it, and I'm glad they didn't rush a Mario Kart 9 for Switch, take all the time they want to fill it with details.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
The Lakitu murals are doubly awesome for being inspired by Journey to the West.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It's nuts how Mario Kart 8 feels like a more realized world than most other Mario properties. Hell it feels more alive than Odyssey.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When I was like 6 or 7 my dad and I used to go exploring all around the tracks in Mario Kart 64. Really special time for me.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
BEST KART RACER EVER!

Dripping with pure effort and love. It almost feels like a different team than the people that made MKWii. I absolutely adore the game. So happy its sold so well across the two platforms. Well deserved for the extreme amount of effort they put into it. I freaking lost my mind when they first showed off the ribbon road dlc.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something else I would like to point out: on the Dragon Driftway track, the Lakitu murals have the characters 朱盖木 on it. If I remembered correctly, that Chinese translation is used for the simplified Chinese version of the game, with the traditional Chinese version using another set of translations. At the time of MK8's DLC release, players would only know that name through playing the iQue version of MK7 (since Lakitu appears in it).

I guess it speaks more to the failure of the localized 3DS software in the Chinese market, but it's a fun detail regardless.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
seeing that Mario Kart sells even more than 3D Mario, it's no surprise they can push so much detail into these games.

i can't wait for Mario Kart 9. easily my most anticipated Switch future release (more than anything currently announced)

(my dream is that this team brings back F-Zero. they're much better than the people who used to make MK back when Nintendo still made F-Zero games)

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It is absolutely staggering how a spin-off series has such incredibly beautiful worlds compared to the main series itself (barring Odyssey but even then the sheer variety in MK is astounding).

Also it's kinda funny how the world of MK is incredibly different compared to the regular Mario worlds (way more technology and urbanization).
I think its because Nintendo changed priorities between Wii and Wii U . Mario Kart Wii sold insane numbers compared to even the Galaxies and even for Wii it didn't looked particularly special.

What happens then, you give a greater budget and resources to the kart racing game , to wow people with the shiny new graphics, while 3d world got a modest budget because it was the team first hd 3d Mario game.
Later they just got confident enough with Odyssey new direction

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I love it, and I'm glad they didn't rush a Mario Kart 9 for Switch, take all the time they want to fill it with details.
I want them to take the interconnected world farther next game too. Add in just a touch of any kind of story elements, even if it was a simple Wacky Racers style cartoon shenanigans, and BOOM. You don't have to drive between tracks but you can if you want. Like I want kind of a cross between Burnout Paradise, Forza Horizon 3, Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart. It doesn't have to be 100% open world, as I don't entirely like the drive to event things in BP, but I would love to have an interconnected world with challenges and side events in between the Cup Races.

Oct 26, 2017
I really like the Shy Guy mines. Just such a bizarre, specific place with so much going on. I want to explore it in a mainline title.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
For some reason I'm really amused by the idea that NASA exists in the Mario Kart universe, except it's called REXA—the Rainbow Exploration Agency—and they're in charge of managing all the Rainbow Road tracks.

It's such a bizarre piece of worldbuilding that no one playing would ever notice and I love it.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sit down and let me tell you about the mario kart universe and the split timeline when Mario Loses, Mario Wins and Luigi Wins.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The logo on the corner of the box which the Ribbon Road track came in on Ribbon Road... is the Toad's Toy Factory logo from the side of the toy factory in Toad Harbour.

So Ribbon Road is manufactured at Toad Harbour's Toy Factory.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible.

Like you could kind of conceivably map out a city