• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Tell her how you feel but be willing to accept the fact that she may not reciprocate those feelings.

Without risk nothing is gained. Get some confidence and go for it!

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
1. Stop telling this guy to ask her on a fucking date. No reciprocation for 13 years. She doesn't want to go on a fucking date.

2. Stop treating him like he's the most fragile human being on earth and simply won't survive sucking up the fact that she doesn't feel the same way and keeping those feelings to himself and getting over them.

3. Spilling his feelings as a way to somehow make himself feel better is selfish and not being a good friend. It's self-serving, at best; at worst it's delusional, fantasy-stroking fucking nonsense.

Some of you I really don't get. You make the connection about the disparity in how these two people feel about each other and you STILL tell him to put her in a shitty position by asking her on a date. Lmao. What the hell?

This could absolutely doom the friendship or at least make it awkward, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Horrible fucking advice.
This is one of the worst, most self-destructive takes I have ever read. Geez.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
When I told my closest friend in the world I'd caught feelings for her, she made it clear she didn't reciprocate. We kept talking about that every now and then and it's been the same sort of deal. I still have feelings for her and she still doesn't. We settled it like grown-ass adults by just admitting that'd probably be the case until my feelings for her fizzled out-- and the reason I accomplished that was by acknowledging from the start that I might be projecting signals I thought I'd received and by making it clear that I valued the reality of our present friendship and all the wonderful things it added to my life over the possibility of something romantic.

Sssssoooo... um... do that? Make it clear that you value the reality of your friendship as the bedrock of your relationship and tell her that it's possible it's all in your head so you want to check. Our relationship is maybe different in that it's super lovey-dovey and sappy by default, since we kind of have a platonic thing going on, but it seems like the obvious solution.

I feel like a lot of the people who are like "the friendship will be ruined" got there because the other party felt used after, since they came away feeling like the friendship was only in service to the true goal of romance. And a lot of times, they're right to feel used-- people put this tremendous over-emphasis on the romance and overlook that the thing that's presently happening is, on its own, beautiful and worthwhile. By coming in from this perspective they are actively devaluing what they DO have because they can't pull their focus away from what they DON'T.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
"Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, 'It might have been.' "

Just tell her. It will work out for the best (the best might not be what you want).

When I told my closest friend in the world I'd caught feelings for her, she made it clear she didn't reciprocate. We kept talking about that every now and then and it's been the same sort of deal. I still have feelings for her and she still doesn't. We settled it like grown-ass adults by just admitting that'd probably be the case until my feelings for her fizzled out-- and the reason I accomplished that was by acknowledging from the start that I might be projecting signals I thought I'd received and by making it clear that I valued the reality of our present friendship and all the wonderful things it added to my life over the possibility of something romantic.

Sssssoooo... um... do that? Make it clear that you value the reality of your friendship as the bedrock of your relationship and tell her that it's possible it's all in your head so you want to check. Our relationship is maybe different in that it's super lovey-dovey and sappy by default, since we kind of have a platonic thing going on, but it seems like the obvious solution.

I feel like a lot of the people who are like "the friendship will be ruined" got there because the other party felt used after, since they came away feeling like the friendship was only in service to the true goal of romance. And a lot of times, they're right to feel used-- people put this tremendous over-emphasis on the romance and overlook that the thing that's presently happening is, on its own, beautiful and worthwhile. By coming in from this perspective they are actively devaluing what they DO have because they can't pull their focus away from what they DON'T.
This is really good advice. I went through kind of the same thing (except that two years after I told her I was in love with her and she rejected me and I kinda-sorta got over it, she ended up telling me the same thing and now we're happily married). You can still be friends after the rejection if you're both mature and honest about it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
You can still be friends after the rejection if you're both mature and honest about it.

They're 21 and he has never had a serious relationship. It's just lining up to end really badly for him. Like someone else suggested if he absolutely feels like he has to say something, I'd just go with the date idea. If she turns it down he can avoid pouring his heart out.