• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Guests in fighting game these days are bread and butter, rarely we see a big new release without at one chamative guest, and I think that's awesome! Guests only brings benefits, calling for more people to play the game, generally people that is outside the fighting game community that see a character they like in a game! Negan in Tekken 7? Terminator in Mortal Kombat? That's fantastic!

BUT, the thing I really like is when a character that already is part of another fighting game franchise appears as a guest in another game, especially the ones made by a complete different developers and got very different mechanics. I love seeing how they translate to that new engine, how they'd look in the different artstyle and what they can bring from their home series;

obviously, I'm talking about things like Ryu, Ken and Terry in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

73372040_2312285332233703_2259677377725671638_n.jpg

Akuma and Geese in Tekken 7

985F49BCC972094598970E33D7DE8618D8F75A3D

Terry was also in Fighting EX Layer

ss_745aabe1bffed21b2e462fd8d80921977389b418.1920x1080.jpg

in exchange we had Lady Skullomania in SNK Heroines (eh... it counts)

index-3.png

and of course we have Haohmaru now in SoulCalibur VI;

soulcaliburthumb-1580138567492.jpg

SoulCalibur has a long story of guests, but besides Heihachi, which comes from a very similar game mechanically, Haohmaru is the first one to changes the things a bit;

--Of course, we had Scorpion and Sub-Zero in Injustice and now Joker in Mortal Kombat 11, but since they basically just swapped games by the same developers, that's a bit less exciting imo (still cool tho); Same would apply to things like Akuma in X-Men: Children of the Atom or Sakura in Rival Schools..

but do you like this kind of stuff? do you have any other examples to share? what's the best thing about having a character from literary another world be playable in completely different mechanics?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Within reason, sure. But I'm glad that Capcom steered clear of this for Street Fighter since they already have the Versus series.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is great, and i can't believe some people are hating on this.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like it when they don't match.. Negan in Tekken and Geralt in Soul Calibur detract from my perception of the game.

The OG:

Final Fight characters appearing in the Street Fighter series

But they are such a good fit though, especially considering that they are set in the same universe and were initially set up to be part of the same franchise (Street Fighter '89). Final Fight characters/backgrounds saved SFV for me.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I guess I forgot about Virtua Fighter characters in Dead or Alive; that was cool too

The OG:

Final Fight characters appearing in the Street Fighter series
all things considered, Final Fight characters were always been part of the Street Fighter universe, so they kinda just expanded the concept further in Alpha games;

Within reason, sure. But I'm glad that Capcom steered clear of this for Street Fighter since they already have the Versus series.
I actually would love to see Capcom handle characters from other companies, besides what they already have done in the CvS games and SFxTK

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Can I please get Chun-Li in a 3D fighting game already, for the love of God.

Hi Harada, if you don't want to bother with Tekken x Street Fighter, just put her in Tekken 7

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The point of the thread is fighting game character in other fighting game franchises (Ex: Geese in Tekken 7).

Whoops - to add, I think Akuma in Tekken is strange because he physically looks like he doesn't belong in that universe. But it's neat how he plays differently from other Tekken characters.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Love it. I find that people who aren't a fan of it take the "sanctity" of their favorite games way too seriously.

Video games (and especially fighting games) need more goofy, surprising fun.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Again, that's what the Versus series is for (or doing another Cross game).
eh.. a guest in a mainline Street Fighter game wouldn't hurt anyone, be from other fighting game or not. Especially if it's a roster of 30 and you have a singular or at least 2 guests.

basically this \/
Love it. I find that people who aren't a fan of it take the "sanctity" of their favorite games way too seriously.

completely agree

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

eh.. a guest in a mainline Street Fighter game wouldn't hurt anyone, be from other fighting game or not. Especially if it's a roster of 30 and you have a singular or at least 2 guests.

basically this \/

completely agree
The thing is that Street Fighter has more than enough characters & tons of room for newcomers to where guests aren't really necessary. And again, if you want crossovers, the Versus series is right there.

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
I love it! To me these are the best kinds of guest characters. I'm a little surprised heihachi never made his way into sfv.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
The thing is that Street Fighter has more than enough characters & tons of room for newcomers to where guests aren't really necessary. And again, if you want crossovers, the Versus series is right there.
it's not that you NEED a guest character in a game, and is also not about lack of characters on the said franchise, is just to spicy things up a little bit. You won't be doing a full crossover but getting a license for one particular character and translating that in a big event..

people that play their fighting game of origin will most likely be interested in the inclusion on another franchise; and people who plays the game hosting that guest, maybe will check it out the original game the character came from. It's a win win situation, basically.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I never liked that stuff. I know it's a stupid reason, but I just don't like when something doesn't fit in the game universe.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jaime Lannister or The Hound or Brienne or Arya from GoT
Bayek or Aya from AC Origins
Any of those should have turned up in SCVI

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I always love it

I bought Soul Calibur 2 because I loved playing as Link in Melee
Oh yeah, I think that kinda fits the bill, right? Link wasn't a fighting game character, but since he's part of the core roster of Melee, that transition was natural :p

here's another (I keep forgeting about Dead or Alive), but Mai Shiranui and Kula are in DoA6
images

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
it's not that you NEED a guest character in a game, and is also not about lack of characters on the said franchise, is just to spicy things up a little bit. You won't be doing a full crossover but getting a license for one particular character and translating that in a big event..

people that play their fighting game of origin will most likely be interested in the inclusion on another franchise; and people who plays the game hosting that guest, maybe will check it out the original game the character came from. It's a win win situation, basically.
I guess I just appreciate that Capcom has stuck to their guns by sticking to SF's own stable of characters. Though they have done guests in the form of Crossover Costumes.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
It's cool to see guest characters, but my gripe about it is that it's usually a one and one kind of thing. You spend all that time mastering them only to never see them again in the sequels. I loved kratos in MK9, but it sucks knowing that he'll never make another MK appearance.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Again, that's what the Versus series is for (or doing another Cross game).
But I wager the argument is that a guest char collab better fits the "culture", now. Why have your team invest resources in an all-new game, and have to make up the resources thereof, when you can just add them to your own active title?

Hence the reason why I think full crossover fighting game titles are a dying breed and why even Capcom likely is shying away from them.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But I wager the argument is that a guest char collab better fits the "culture", now. Why have your team invest resources in an all-new game, and have to make up the resources thereof, when you can just add them to your own active title?

Hence the reason why I think full crossover fighting game titles are a dying breed and why even Capcom likely is shying away from them.
I doubt we've seen the last of the Versus series. Even speaking within the context of MvC, Capcom franchises have returned from worse. And as I said, the Crossover Costumes seems like a solid solution to where none of the fans of other SF-native characters feel cheated. And as someone who loved most of SFV's newcomers, it'd be a shame if we got less of that.

Oct 27, 2017
Since games as a service seems to be the future of fighting games they should all get together and make a Project x Zone of Fighters or something. Figure out a way that everyone gets an acceptable cut from the sales and go nuts with the base roster. Not some obscene number but keep the representation even.

Capcom gets some characters, Namco, SNK, Tecmo, Arcsys, French Bread, hell even Sega, and Arika should join the party.

I guess one of the biggest problems with something like that would be deciding who develops it and what it would play like. Do you go the Smash route and try to include elements of the original series in every character's movelist? Do you go the CvS route making the system mechanics a character plays by selectable?

Ontopic: I love this kind of stuff and think it's too limited. Crossovers are kind of clique-ish at this point. Anime games are sticking together and crossing over with each other. SNK is crossing over with every Japanese Fighting Game dev not named Capcom.

Capcom is crossing over with itself but won't bite the bullet and commit to a full fledged Capcom Vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat is cross over with random stuff that's not even video game related.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Since games as a service seems to be the future of fighting games they should all get together and make a Project x Zone of Fighters or something. Figure out a way that everyone gets an acceptable cut from the sales and go nuts with the base roster. Not some obscene number but keep the representation even.

Capcom gets some characters, Namco, SNK, Tecmo, Arcsys, French Bread, hell even Sega, and Arika should join the party.

I guess one of the biggest problems with something like that would be deciding who develops it and what it would play like. Do you go the Smash route and try to include elements of the original series in every character's movelist? Do you go the CvS route making the system mechanics a character plays by selectable?

Ontopic: I love this kind of stuff and think it's too limited. Crossovers are kind of clique-ish at this point. Anime games are sticking together and crossing over with each other. SNK is crossing over with every Japanese Fighting Game dev not named Capcom.

Capcom is crossing over with itself but won't bite the bullet and commit to a full fledged Capcom Vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat is cross over with random stuff that's not even video game related.
Mortal Kombat is tricky.. because having a guest there means that you (the company) are okay with your character being brutally murdered, and not many are fine with that. That's why most of the horror/sci-fi guests in MK are all from Warner's own portfolio (if I'm not mistaken.. never checked owenership of that kind of stuff)

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat is tricky.. because having a guest there means that you (the company) is being okay with your character being brutally murdered, and not many are fine with that. That's why most of the horror/sci-fi guests in MK are all from Warner's own portfolio (if I'm not mistaken.. never checked owenership of that kind of stuff)
I remember the DOA creator dude talking about how Kasumi and them are his daughters so yeah I could definitely see a lot of devs not being okay with that kind of stuff.

Then if they do something like include a character but making it so the character can't be killed would piss off the Mortal Kombat fans. So it's a lose/lose situation there I guess.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I remember the DOA creator dude talking about how Kasumi and them are his daughters so yeah I could definitely see a lot of devs not being okay with that kind of stuff.

Then if they do something like include a character but making it so the character can't be killed would piss off the Mortal Kombat fans. So it's a lose/lose situation there I guess.
Absolutely! the other video game franchise that crossed-over with Mortal Kombat was God of War back in the day. but even today, I doubt Sony would allow such thing to happen again, especially with Kratos being a good dad figure.. and especially because how much terribly goresome MK have gotten over the years.

----Ooh, .. on topic of Fighting Game characters in other Fighting Games franchises.. Ryu and other Street Fighter characters in the Power Rangers mobile game!

images

I wish they were added to Battle for the Grid on consoles :/

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Kind of ok with it if it's used sparingly. One or two is fine, but when your DLC roster starts filling up with nothing but guests instead of returning or new characters it's a turn off. Smash is kind of the only series where it doesn't take me out of it because characters from all over the place is the point of that game.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
It can be fine, but I don't generally like the inconsistency of aesthetic that it introduces. Exception would be a Versus-type game, where the inconsistency is inherent to the premise.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Nah, I actually do not appreciate this.

Especially when this happens in series where usual combatants are yet to be added.

This. It's been a sad generation of fighters for me, 'cause all my favorites tend to be the ones left behind when it comes time for cuts. I wait for DLC, and it's guests guests guests. More exposure for the icons. More love for the upper crust. I can't find in it anything but boredom and disappointment.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's awesome and I'd have a lot less money if Chun-Li was in more fighting games.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I think they are cool most of the time and even more so if the guest character not only fit the hosting game but they are also a surprise pick. I found Tekken 7 having the guest characters being the villains from Street Fighter (sorta) and Fatal Fury infinitely more interesting than if they went with the overused heroes, on the other hand Negan was weird, like the star wars dudes in Soulcalibur.

Another part of the appeal to me is the adaptation of the game mechanics of the guest character's source series to the hosting game, like how smash bros has the classic quarter circles, shoryken motions, etc for the SF guys and Terry, or Terry having unlimited smash finales after certain damage % is reached, or Ryu's focus attack dash cancel, stuff like that is cool.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
I absolutely love guest characters, especially when they're from other fighting games. Morrigan was a possibility in Tekken 7 before Harada decided to not go through with it.

I'm waiting for the day MK/SF can crossover in some way, same for Killer Instinct if a sequel ends up being made with Scorpion being a guest character.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
These are just about the only guest characters I can stand any more. Haomaru is a great fit in Soulcalibur, and Geese is so much better in Tekken than Noctis or Negan.

Oct 26, 2017
Fighting game characters being guests in other fighting games are the only guests that I am fine with, and I like to see them appear nowadays! It hypes up the other fighting game, which I think is a net win for the genre.

It is guests like Darth Vader and Cole from Infamous that I don't like seeing in fighting games. I feel guests like that devalue the roster of the games that they're in.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting game characters being guests in other fighting games are the only guests that I am fine with, and I like to see them appear nowadays! It hypes up the other fighting game, which I think is a net win for the genre.

It is guests like Darth Vader and Cole from Infamous that I don't like seeing in fighting games. I feel guests like that devalue the roster of the games that they're in.
Yeah, the character has to be a really good fit, and fighting game characters appearing in other fighting games never really has that problem. (Link in Soul Calibur II was amazing, though.) But I just remember the Star Wars characters in SCIV and just shake my head. Just a mistake on every level, except for being able to hear Darth Vader and Yoda in Japanese.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my favorite things. I'm hoping for Tifa, Cloud, and Sephiroth in some next-gen sequels of Tekken and SC.