• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
SPOILERS AHEAD

3320275-xenoblade-chronicles-2-review-thumb-nologo.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of my favourite Switch games, and it's also one of the best JRPGs I've played in years. I love the combat, I love the setting, it has incredible map design, an excellent soundtrack and it has a very well developed cast of characters.

But there's plenty that's wrong with the game. In this post I'm going to talk about the parts of the game that I felt didn't live up to its otherwise top-notch quality, the parts that let it down somewhat. Don't take this as a hateful rant- I love Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but like every other game, it is not without its flaws. You're free to disagree with me and tell me why you feel I'm wrong, of course.

• The Ending: When I say the ending, I'm referring to a very specific section in the ending. I'm not talking about the World Tree or the things that lead up to it, or Rex's meeting with the Architect and the revelations that follow, and the connections it makes with the first game. All that stuff was great. In fact, up until a certain point, I thought the endgame was going really well. I'm talking about the very final scenes- more specifically, the fact that Pneuma makes it out alive. Not only did it not make much sense, it also cheapened the impact of a death I felt was played out perfectly. Pneuma dying was something that made sense in context of what was going on, and it was set up perfectly, and the fact that she came back right at the end with no real, logical explanation as to why that happened lessened the impact of what I felt was a great death for the character. What I found even more ridiculous was the fact that she came back not as Pneuma, but as Pyra and Mythra- two separate entities, which makes absolutely zero sense. Because they were not two separate entities. It just felt too much like a cheap "boy gets the girl at the end and lives happily ever after" ending, except even stupider because now he gets two girls (who, as per the seventy hours that preceded this scene, were actually one single girl).
  • Pacing issues: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 struggles with its pacing, like most long RPGs these days seem to do. The game starts off well, and up until the ending of Chapter 3, the momentum keeps building (the final cutscene of Chapter 3 is one of my favourite sequences in the entire game). Things keep escalating, and the story progressively keeps become more interesting. After that for some reason the game decides to completely go off tangent and destroys its pacing. All of chapter 4 is basically a pointless side-story that has little to no bearing on the larger narrative, and feels like unnecessary padding. The whole thing with Tora's father is just there for... why exactly? It feels like an entire segment of the game that could have been done away with with little to no consequence. After that, the pace starts picking up again, and the game continues to make up for the boring chapter 4 for some time, but then chapter 7 happens, which is, in my opinion, the worst section of the entire game. It feels like a drag, and goes on way too long, and was perhaps the only time in the entire game that almost made me want to stop playing.
  • Writing issues: I often say (like so many others do)- never go full anime. And Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't ever go full anime. But it does have plenty of cringey over the top stuff. The characterization of Tora, for instance, is far from perfect. I'm not saying he's a bad character, I actually liked him (at times), but so many things about him were off-putting, most of all the annoying way he talks (meh meh meh, what the fuck is up with that). Then there's the scene where he wakes up Poppi for the first time (that scene made me cringe out of my skin. Completely unnecessary, and I know it was meant to be funny, but I really don't think it was. It was just embarrassing). Then there's Zeke- now don't get me wrong, I like Zeke. I thought he was a pretty cool character. But he grew on me overtime. His first few appearance only made me groan, and it was only after he joined the party and the game developed him as a character rather than as a device for humour that I grew to like him. Also side note, since it's a little bit relevant here- the voice acting is wildly inconsistent. I liked the VO for Pyra and Nia, but almost everything else was just bad.
  • Tutorials: Seriously, the game still gives you tutorials about many of its systems even fifteen hours in. The combat system wasn't completely "unlocked" until more than a dozen hours into the game. That's a serious problem. I was able to tolerate it because I was loving the setting and the plot was really intriguing, but I imagine for a lot of people that wouldn't be enough.
  • Side quests: XC2 has the kind of inane, meaningless, boring, and pointless side quests that have no place in any game anymore.
Hopefully Monolith gets more time and budget with the next one to hit the greatness we know they can, that this game so often hints at, and many times, even does hit itself.

I'm sure many of you may not agree with me on this, or may feel there were other issues with the game I didn't bring up- please tell me how I'm wrong :P

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I agree with a lot of that (I don't agree with the degree of the pacing issues or story issues you think the game had, and while I am not a fan of the ending, I also feel it works fine within the context of Rex and Pyra's character arcs), but in spite of all its issues and jank, Xenoblade 2 is a fantastic game. It has so much heart, its highs are so incredibly high, that the issues end up not mattering to me.

It's an amazing game, and my favorite in the franchise, and my second favorite on the Switch. Can't wait to see what Monolith does for their new title.

I'm not sure how you get that Pneuma makes it out alive, since she completely disconnects from her core crystal (albeit with putting Pyra and Mythra inside of it before doing so) and she sacrifices herself to prevent the World Tree from destroying the planet. I doubt very much that there's anything left of Pneuma in either of them.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how you get that Pneuma makes it out alive, since she completely disconnects from her core crystal (albeit with putting Pyra and Mythra inside of it before doing so) and she sacrifices herself to prevent the World Tree from destroying the planet. I doubt very much that there's anything left of Pneuma in either of them.
What? No, she's still the same person.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I like Xenoblade 2 a lot, but it definitely has a truckload of problems. The highs in that game are REALLY high, though.

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks OP for the thread and not making any trap arguments about some blade designs. I appreciate some change of pace.

Just finished the game today and I agree that Monolith should go on keep Pneuma dead and it should last its consequences on every char. It' not like Rex was all alone even without her afterall.
And the game suffers from pacing too. I was procrastinatiing chapters 9 and 10 because I was trying to raise as much affinity I could from every Blade that I had. That took almost 100 hour of game. But both chapters were short if you just wanted to rush and finish the game.

And side quests could be better too.

But that nonsensical gacha bullshit was the worst.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I agree with a lot of that (I don't agree with the degree of the pacing issues or story issues you think the game had, and while I am not a fan of the ending, I also feel it works fine within the context of Rex and Pyra's character arcs), but in spite of all its issues and jank, Xenoblade 2 is a fantastic game. It has so much heart, its highs are so incredibly high, that the issues end up not mattering to me.

It's an amazing game, and my favorite in the franchise, and my second favorite on the Switch. Can't wait to see what Monolith does for their new title.
Pretty much where I am with the game even knowing it has obvious issues.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I really thought the ending would be a lot more poignant and meaningful if the post-credits scene had Rex salvaging and finding Pyra's core crystal in the pillar's wreckage or something. Would she still have her memories? How long until she awakens again? It would have been the bittersweet-but-hopeful ending that the events in the tree seemed to be leading to.

Most of my issues with the game are on a mechanical /performance basis outside of that though. Torigoth and Gormott are a mess undocked and only slightly better docked. Merc Missions and the Sidequests and field skills are not fun. Salvaging materials or trying to remember where you get specific collection items to dump into a quest bar or Aux core is not fun. Etc.

Edit: To not sound like a complete buzzkill, I do want to echo that the highs in the game are indeed really high and very memorable. I love the scene where Rex is chewed out by Brighid and Poppi goes to "punch" him only to help strengthen his resolve from that point on to the end of the game.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Agree with all of that except the ending, can't vouch for that cause I stopped playing about 25 hours in.

This game wasted my time and set me cringing more than any rpg I've played in recent memory, but I dug the battle system, the world traversing, and some of the blade designs. Wish I had a Wii or Wii U to give X or 1 a spin.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with this, and the OP.

I wish they stuck the ending and had Pyra (and the rest) die. It made more sense to me. It would have completed the arcs of both Rex and Pyra.

The real missed opportunity was to develop Rex better.

In any event, all that was small potatoes. The cast was great, the story was heart felt, all kinda made up for its short comings.

Now gawd dammit, give me a Morag spin off!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I'm still of the opinion that people who think that Pneuma has to die is just not getting the ending. The whole crux of the ending isn't about Pneuma's sacrifice, it's Rex's final acceptance to trust his partner. THAT'S why her "death" scene plays out like that. If we really wanted Pyra to die and Rex to feel sad, she'd been killed in the climax at the battle, not in this extra scene just to make Rex sad. By Rex accepting Pneuma's decision, he finally proves himself mature enough to actually pursue a relationship with Pneuma. The only real negative about the ending is the fact that it's not Pneuma that is revived but her separate pieces Pyra and Mythra, not the revival in of itself.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Even with all that, you still LOVE the game.

that is most of us btw, Game is really fantastic we are overlooking some of the side flaws(of course, considering different opinions etc)

these problems are exactly problems for me, I agree with some of the stuff written, but it being a lighthearted story made me get over the after credits scene of Mythra and Pyra returning. Side Quests were a mix of fetch, good, and great, some blade quests are really good.

Also let the game go full anime, what is the issue with that? this game has so so many anime references it feels amazing. the references and inspirataion even reach the music! (Rosa's theme).

Regarding the pacing, only chapter 4 was a bit much, and I think half of 7.

I agree a lot with this post.

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I found the writing consistently funny and enjoyed the voice acting - but I do like hammy, over-the-top stuff.

I'd also disagree with you about the pacing. It does spin it's wheels on occasion and isn't perfect, but generally I thought the story moved at a brisk pace.

I didn't hate Chapter 4 like many... but Chapter 7 was a drag. It's got some really cool story moments, but man Spirit Crucible Elpys...

Had no problem with Pyra and Mythra returning, but separating them was an odd move and wasn't needed if you ask me.

Again, I didn't hate it and I was left satisfied when the final cutscene finished, but I think they probably could have done it differently.

I'm big fan of the game as people know, but it's bloody rough around the edges and I'm not afraid to admit it.

The implementation of field skills is a bit naff, it's got too many systems that aren't explained very well and it looks dated.

I'd really want to see the cutscenes animated for the English dub next time (not at the expense of the JP lip sync, I want both).

I had no problem with the gatcha system myself, but I understand why others didn't like it. If it's to return, it needs to be reworked.

Blade quests are good as are some side quests, but others are rubbish and should have been scrapped.

I'll echo the thoughts of everyone here by saying it's a wonderful, but heavily flawed game. I adored the music, the characters, the twists and turns, the environments etc.

I want Monolith to get all the time and money in the world to improve the next one.

Xaszatm - I totally agree about the Pneuma sacrifice scene. That sequence was the climax of Rex's character arc and works really well as such (sorry, tagged the wrong user on my first go!).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Is pretty much one of the best paced games I've played in recent years so I don't understand the complaints about the pacing. My major issue is the lack of polish which is explained because of the kind of development the game had.

Other than than that, I love the story, writing and cast.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, this is my favorite song in the game, and one of my favorite songs ever. It also has one of my favorite quotes ever: "So tell me, how was it being alive?"

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She says "I'm home again" though.

And in either case it doesn't matter because it isn't in the final cut of the game. The final cut of the game is constantly upbeat and happy. The only way the "this is actually bittersweet" moment works is if you ignore the camerawork, the music, the angles, the emotion, and literally everything about the ending just to fit it in this weird "she's lost her memories" ending.

What? No, she's still the same person.
No, I know that Pneuma is still Pneuma in the end there, but the point I was making is that she doesn't exist past the sacrifice. It ties into the idea of Klaus finally being content with wiping the slate clean for the world of Alrest, since neither he, the World Tree or the remaining elements of the Trinity Processor are around after the Titans merge and create the new continent. Letting Pyra and Mythra exist past her was her final gift, since they had grown into having such distinct lives that they didn't deserve her fate.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to the game more than anything for a long time and was the main reason I bought a Switch, but ended up dropping it at Rex's hometown.. There were a lot of things I didn't like but the main one was the character dialogue, I honestly found Tales of Graces F less annoying.. I didn't like X much either so maybe the first one was just a one off for me

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say fair criticism, but I have some thoughts:
All that stuff was great. In fact, up until a certain point, I thought the endgame was going really well. I'm talking about the very final scenes- more specifically, the fact that Pneuma makes it out alive. Not only did it not make much sense, it also cheapened the impact of a death I felt was played out perfectly. Pneuma dying was something that made sense in context of what was going on, and it was set up perfectly, and the fact that she came back right at the end with no real, logical explanation as to why that happened lessened the impact of what I felt was a great death for the character. What I found even more ridiculous was the fact that she came back not as Pneuma, but as Pyra and Mythra- two separate entities, which makes absolutely zero sense. Because they were not two separate entities. It just felt too much like a cheap "boy gets the girl at the end and lives happily ever after" ending, except even stupider because now he gets two girls (who, as per the seventy hours that preceded this scene, were actually one single girl).
The two girl thing doesn't really make sense, I'll grant you. I think I may have preferred that whichever name you chose is who materialized, though maybe she "switches" to the other to show she's not gone. But their survival is fine, it was never set up to be a tragic story and the ending fits well with the game as a whole. At it's core, Xenoblade isn't a sweeping epic about the salvation of a universe and the human race, it's a story of how boy met girl. That's why the Pnuema's sacrifice is the climax of the story rather than Malos's defeat.
The whole thing with Tora's father is just there for... why exactly?
It sets up Torna having the robot army they use to both subdue the party at the end of Chapter 6 and to go to war with Indol in Chapter 8 and 9.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't like the game, but lets be peaceful about it.

I agree with your point to the fact that I found the "You get two girlfriends" to be pretty cheap and to go aginst the point of the ending, or rather where it seemed to be going. I do not find Rex to be a compelling character, but that's me. It's clear that they were going for a un-ironicly optimistic character and that his optimism would impact Pyra who is a character who is somewhat nihilistic towards life. I don't like that they frame this romantically as it veers into a little kind of girl friend wish fulfillment that I'm not into and I feel is in too much anime these days. But fine whatever, but it's clear that Prya and Mythra have been effected by Rex and has become a more optimistic character and now her sacrifice isn't like what it was during the middle of the game, this time it's with purpose and not coming from a sad self-defeated place. And Rex has to learn that there will be sacrifices in life no matter how hard you try.

Then the game says whatever to all those good lessons and you get two hot anime babes Rex and it's really cheap and undermines any message your story had.

I really would have been fine with something more ambiguous.

Or not. The whole game Pyra had been willing to make sacrifices not on her own terms. In the end she does and then the game goes back on it. The ending of this game is really cheap.
People complain about Chapter 4, but beyond the dumb anime hijinks of "har har he was sleeping near her boobs" the chapter is fine. The super robot homages are funny and all long jrpgs need chapters like that that take a breather from the main story and have something dedicated to the other important party members. And you did need a breather after the event's of chapter 3. It was fine.

I mean the pacing is whatever. My problems are more that after a while the level design just goes whatever. Some of the dungeons in the end half are just meh city. Just super boring and way too long. In general it feels like Monolith Soft's level design feel off. There's few grand areas that want you to explore them, instead settling for drab linear levels. It was a step down.

I pretty much agree, I don't like the writing in the game. The characters feel empty and uninteresting. The character plots feel like they go nowhere. The villains feel overwrought. I just don't care for the story or characters.

But fine, these issues would be fine if I liked the rest of the game. I don't.

I hate the battle system and honestly for reasons I don't even really remember. I know I found the battle system to be to slow in comparison to XBX. You're character feels very slow and the game priorities animations(which are slow) meaning you can miss out on topple opprutunites and what not. I hated that abilities weren't on a cooldown, but instead tied to constant attacking which seems at odds with how the battle system wants you to move around as well, meaning it's better to just be boring and have your character stand there. Why even try to get a back attack when you waste time and waste time building up skills to do so?

But this also highlights how I think most of the battle system is filled with over complexity for the sake of it. It says that you shouldn't use the same element over and over again to end a combo, but to be honest I never saw any real negatives to it. And besides since you're doing combos over and over, the seal that you put on enemies either becomes pointless because you'll quickly replace it or you just keep putting it on because it's just easier to do so. And I constantly would do that because the AI could easily be unresponsive or rather I had to babysit the ai when it came to their class set-ups. It's not like I could really mix and match their blades, because I would'nt want Nia to switch to a non healer blade just so she could continue a combo. Which really means that I feel the class system is pretty limited. I can't control when the ai members really switch to their other blades. Add in a random gatcha system that effects the utility of the class system and you have a system I really don't like.

Then there's the weak level design that is a huge step down from XBX and yeah you have a game I really dislike with all of my being.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Pyra/Mythra's memories, it's been pointed out that Blades lose their memories because they are basically sending the data they have collected to the Aegises as part of Klaus's plan for evolution. The Aegises themselves aren't blades and do not follow blade rules, so I don't see any reason to believe they lost their memories.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 4 sucked a bit. But as far as pacing goes I think the list of 80+ hour games paced as well as Xenoblade 2 is pretty short (the Witcher 3 is miles better...but how many others are close?).

I also felt Rex's growth was cheapened a bit by Pyra/Mythra's revival at the end. After how ridden with despair XC1 was I can understand Takahashi's desire to do something a bit more light hearted though.

I'm honestly not seeing a whole lot I would disagree with in here though. The criticisms are fair and any counterpoints are as well. Xenoblade 2 appears to be a lot of things to a lot of people

Regarding Pyra/Mythra's memories, it's been pointed out that Blades lose their memories because they are basically sending the data they have collected to the Aegises as part of Klaus's plan for evolution. The Aegises themselves aren't blades and do not follow blade rules, so I don't see any reason to believe they lost their memories.
Yeah, Pneuma's powers are crazy enough that she managed to rewrite Azurda's programming to allow him to return to his Titan form in order to save the gang after the World Tree collapsed.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
In a similar situation.

I love the game, but the ending didn't really make much sense to me Why have a sacrifice seen that's supposed to be sad if there are no consequences) and them splitting is weird AF

Thought Chapter 7's dungeon was really cool but it felt. . .pointless? Since you don't actually get the weapon. Although the end of the chapter is great especially for the fact things suddenly start to go off the rails
monado

Zeke was awesome though

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Oh, criticism not related to character design... that's actually refreshing.

Ending: I actually liked the ending. I kind of hate that nowadays a lot of endings have to be tragic to be meaningful, so I don't like that you had to sacrifice three characters for everyone else to live. If anything the one that dies is Pneuma and we don't even know how that works for an Aegis... like, Malos literally stayed alive for 500 years when he should've been dead. We know they can do crazy things: separating both Mythra and Pyra and let them live in the new world is okay in my book.
Pacing Issues: I agree here, there are some parts that should be shorter. Chapter 7 is the one where you have to search for the Aegis' third sword, right? that dungeon was super annoying.
Writing Issues: Zeke and Tora are pretty bad, I agree too. They are not even funny.
Tutorials: Not only are there too many, they are pretty bad and boring and... you don't have a section in game that you can consult if you didn't get something at the time. I actually failed to topple an enemy right after the tutorial but since I beat the enemy at that time I didn't have the chance to check what I was supposed to do.
Sidequests: they could've get rid of the gacha system and sidequests and instead allow you to get the blades you want through better sidequests than what we got. It's not that they couldn't, that's how you literrally got some blades.

I pretty much agree with you OP on anything except the ending.

Last edited:

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
Because they were not two separate entities.

Yep that moment robbed the ending for me and the supposed character development of those characters. I had assumed it was about a being that compartmentalized itself and eventually becoming whole. However the game wanted rex to have the harem ending so it couldn't allowed that to happen.

I also couldn't stand how the gatcha cores worked and how insane it was that the core plot of the game involved multiple characters talking about blades being used as tools and thats literally all you do. You grind out common or rare blades and throw away the ones you don't want. Most of them sound really sad as you throw them away also destroying all their memories. I couldn't take the characters seriously talking about how blades matter when thats a core aspect of the game you have to constantly engage with. Its like being a slave trader who fights to free slaves while actively slave trading because its just how the world works.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Agreed with most of your post. I'm still baffled about the tutorials and how they haven't patched them in? Seems like such a basic thing to add. The tutorials are so simple and samey I don't actually bother with most of them, I think only the rare blade's quests are worthwhile, most of them are fetch quests.

I don't agree with the pacing though, while chapter 4 is by far the worst chapter I think once you get past it the story becomes more and more interesting and the buildup towards the end is worthwhile and rewarding.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the game, but the ending didn't really make much sense to me Why have a sacrifice seen that's supposed to be sad if there are no consequences) and them splitting is weird AF
I actually really liked how it worked out, because none of the characters knew things were going to turn out alright at the time, so the sacrifice was still genuine and meaningful. Having the miraculous revival allows the characters to actually benefit from the lessons they learned as a result.

In a similar situation.

Thought Chapter 7's dungeon was really cool but it felt. . .pointless? Since you don't actually get the weapon. Although the end of the chapter is great especially for the fact things suddenly start to go off the rails
monado

Zeke was awesome though
The weapon was Pneuma, for lack of better phrasing. That's why Rex is pretty jazzed even as the "weapon" that was down there disintegrated.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is one of those games I feel the critics got right and the fans are wrong about. It's a good game but man the story/characters are such a disappointment. I don't think I've ever felt so disconnected from a cast of characters in an rpg before. Everyone is just so....boring. Rex has to be the most bland protagonists in any rpg. The villains are Saturday morning cartoon level as well. The dialogue was such a chore to sit through. I enjoyed the story/characters in Xenogears, Xenoblade and Xenoblade X but this is definitely not one of Takahashi's finest hours.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Characters sacraficing themselves is so played out. I'm glad they didn't kill off Pyra and Mythra. With everything else that happened in the game them dying woulda just been like "oh, so we just going for drama for no reason".

Don't have a problem with the pacing personally.

Writing overall is shitty. Story is pretty meh too. I really like the cast and character interactions though. I'd fuck with a slice of life RPG with these characters for sure. I find them charming in a way XC1 and XCX casts were not.

Tutorials (really the whole fucking UI) need a major major overhaul.

Side quests are a mixed bag.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really liked how it worked out, because none of the characters knew things were going to turn out alright at the time, so the sacrifice was still genuine and meaningful. Having the miraculous revival allows the characters to actually benefit from the lessons they learned as a result.
I feel like if the "sacrifice" was in the middle of the game I would be fine with it (not the splitting) because there would actually be time to react and learn to it. As the ending of the game it just sort of. . .happens and the credits roll. As is it just feels like they want you to be sad and then happy which the latter defeats the purpose of the former. Eating your cake and having it too, without any further events to build off either.
The weapon was Pneuma, for lack of better phrasing. That's why Rex is pretty jazzed even as the "weapon" that was down there disintegrated.
Wait I thought Pneuma was inside Pyra/Mythra all along. So the actual dungeon crawling was inevitably useless other than character growth (nia and I guess Rex). I thought the blade itself was utterly pointless in the end.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is one of those games I feel the critics got right and the fans are wrong about. It's a good game but man the story/characters are such a disappointment. I don't think I've ever felt so disconnected from a cast of characters in an rpg before. Everyone is just so....boring. Rex has to be the most bland protagonists in any rpg. The villains are Saturday morning cartoon level as well. The dialogue was such a chore to sit through. I enjoyed the story/characters in Xenogears, Xenoblade and Xenoblade X but this is definitely not one of Takahashi's finest hours.
Agree 100%.

I must have missed some if not all the heart to hearts based on what people have to say about these characters as I don't understand the appeal of characters like Morag and Zekes. To me they lose all intersts after they join your party, but I've read heaps and heaps of characterization talk about them. Either I missed it or it wasn't in the main story path.

But from what I played those characters are so boring and have no real relevance.

I mean Nia is an ok character and Poppi is at least entertaining. She is tied to one of the most unfunny characters ever, but these characters have sucked in all the Xeno games anyway.

I just find Rex to also be an uninteresting protagonist, but I guess that was the point. He's supposed to be a simple dude who tries his best. I just don't find that engaging. I find his relationship with Pyra/Mythra to be obnoxious and lame. Since the story kind of hinges on that I'm sol.

I don't remember the villains and what my problems with them where. Evil Pope was laughable. Malos was maybe ok. I guess his despair was a bit annoying, but I guess that was the point. He inherited that from his Blade user. Jin was whatever. I don't know, nothing stood out to me.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I can't agree with your issues about the pacing or writing, but I did think the sidequests were kind of lacking though. Especially compared to X. Certain menu things and stuff like that too. I think the writing/story/characters is more of a personal taste thing.

Now, the ending.....it's still pretty divisive, but I'm in the group that believes they lost their memory. I was a little confused and disappointed at first with Pyra/Mythra being two separated selves now and seeming having their memories intact, but the closer I've studied the ending, the more clear it is to me they've lost their memories and there's probably a reason for them being separated.

Why are they separated and why are her memories gone (for now)? - So in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Pyra/Mythra can find her "true self" and awaken as a new, one true self, like past Xeno games. Now that she's free from being the Aegis.

What color do you get when you mix Red and Yellow?

Orange.

2804247310_17506bb530_z.jpg

(That's my hopeful little fan theory at least)

What are Pyra/Mythra saying at the end of the game? - In the English version it's " My name is Pyra" and "My name is Mythra".

In the Japanese version it's them saying their own names "Homura" and Hikari". That's what I've figured out and it fits really well. What they're saying is obviously super important if they went through the trouble of reanimating the lip movements for the English version. But I know most people aren't going to care or believe my theory anyway lol.

I'm not saying this is definitively true of course, but I don't think people should get too upset just yet thinking Rex gets two girls in the end or something like that. Theirs likely way more to it.

Last edited:
Wait I thought Pneuma was inside Pyra/Mythra all along. So the actual dungeon crawling was inevitably useless other than character growth (nia and I guess Rex). I thought the blade itself was utterly pointless in the end.
I mean, it's not useless because Pneuma was such a closely guarded secret given her ability to literally rewrite reality and that's not the kind of thing you pass around as common knowledge. Addam couldn't impart that information on just anyone that walked down there.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Also, this is my favorite song in the game, and one of my favorite songs ever. It also has one of my favorite quotes ever: "So tell me, how was it being alive?"

Same, I still listen to the song pretty regularly. The line before also gets to me. "Hello there. I hope that you'll help me."

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what this game would be like if all you did was crit path it. Would pacing still be an issue, or is it a product of spending time doing sidequests, grinding, diving, and the like which makes it feel that way at times? I feel like any open-world game could be critiqued for pacing when that is left mainly up to the player.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with Chapter 4 (and one other part of the game) is there was some obvious padding in there to make things longer.

The actual dungeon is pretty good once you get into it and the ending has a great payoff that ties with the main story, even if it seems like it's a total sidetrack when you start.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see the ending is divisive among the fanbase. Xenoblade X was equally divisive, but for different reasons. I wonder which is more divisive...?

Only the ending in the original Xenoblade is pretty much well-regarded by the community.