• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that there's an OT for this, but I've been thinking about it for the last couple hours and I really just want to congratulate Geoff and everyone involved. Before I continue, I know that there are some things that can be improved upon (because you never can stop improving) but especially when compared to what we've seen before it was a huge impovement.

I honestly felt it was a great show. I felt that it was well paced, it was exciting to watch what was announced, with a good combination of cool indie stuff, interesting big games, guests that humorously played off of past errors but were respectful, the orchestra which was the BEST OH MY GOD THANK YOU FOR DOING MORE OF THAT etc.

It was a good show. Great job Geoff. Great job.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I wasn't able to watch the whole thing in one continuous sit down (that's what happens when you have children), but from what I saw, I thought the whole production was very well done....even if no Metroid Prime or Death Stranding showed up. :(

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was kinda boring. Way too long (should have been a 90 minutes show) and the new game announcements were okay-ish.
Last year was better.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
I thought it went on for too long. For us Europeans it was very long and very late. Too many commercials and talking. Next time they should at least try reducing an hour from it and try to make it earlier

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think its better than E3. Everything at one time. No waiting between days and different videos to watch.

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it as well. First time I think where things went off pretty smoothly for them without any real audio issues (eg: mic's left on by accident).

that aftershow on mixer though? Woof, couldn't turn off that fast enough.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. Actually, you said you loved it and i thought it was dumb as fuck. But i still agree lol. I'm glad that it exists for us and i think it's born from a geniune place. All industry awards shows are dumb as fuck but we deserve to have our own.

Great job, Geoff. You stay true to the game.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I find it to be somewhat lame and preprexling with a nice healthy helping of cringe thrown in.

It's part awards show, part mini concert, part marketing platform for game announcements.

It's kind of funny reading the live reactions though.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I guess there are other award shows for this but I wish the whole thing was more subtle. Less commercial and less "epic" and less trying to be the Oscars or whatever. I guess there is a place for one of those in each artistic / entertainment medium, but if gaming needs one, I wish it wasn't as much of an advertisement as this is.

Still, all of this is expected of the VGAs by now. I should just watch whatever trailers are released after the fact and try to pay attention to smaller award shows from now on.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should work on getting some better announcements, but yah, overall the show was the best its been production-wise.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this year's was plenty of games with much less of the in-your-face non-gaming related pump than I was used to.
The Red Dead 2 orchestration performance also was spectacular.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
First time viewer.
I think it was decent, I felt bad that the amount of announcements probably led to winners not getting stage time or being rushed to off stage in order to have time for everyone.
They should try to tighten that up, I know most people might not want to see more people awarded but I feel like the people behind the games should get their moment.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They should work on getting some better announcements, but yah, overall the show was the best its been production-wise.
A brand new Marvel game exclusive to Switch, a new triple-A RPG from the devs of Falliut New Vegas, and a new Mortal Kombat (and those are just the top tier ones). Some people will literally never be pleased. For an event where game announcements is technically secondary, whether people like it or not, this one knocked it out of the park.

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A brand new Marvel game exclusive to Switch, a new triple-A RPG from the devs of Falliut New Vegas, and a new Mortal Kombat (and those are just the top tier ones). Some people will literally never be pleased. For an event where game announcements is technically secondary, whether people like it or not, this one knocked it out of the park.
Totally, but let's also not forget the more important things like SonicFox being the BEST, and EVERYONE looking like they genuinely were absolutely floored that they were receiving the awards. This means something to people now. And you can't discount that.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
The level of announcement is proper. It is an award show should be about the award. There were a few good and fairly big announcements during the show, but I didn't feel the show were relying on them. Dare I say, this show is kind prestige now...

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed it thoroughly and was surprised by how many good announcements there were.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Also one of the most hype DLC characters for the biggest crossover game in the business.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Geoff really improved over the embarrassment that were the Spike TV years. It wasn't about trying to be cool, it was just about celebrating all that is gaming. Having said that, I do still wish there was a true industry awards that wasn't just a thinly veiled excuse for advertising. Something akin to the Oscars where the best developers are truly recognised for their contributions to the industry free from crass commercial interests.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
It's funny how slightly more punk everything looks compared to movie awards.
The designs, the music and the people.
It gives the show a little character but it's not a very grown up look.

Anyway, very fun night overall, Jeoff always works very well. Great job man, you must be very proud.

Ah, slightly too product placement-y. Jeoff shouldn't have given little comercial speeches during the show.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
It's the first game show awards that was really legit good and you won't be embarrassed telling your friends about it.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hated it.

Way too many ads, and everything just felt like Epic slinging its Fortnite money.

I dunno maybe I'm just cynical. Just felt slimy. Or I'm just butthurt at that godawful performance of Devil Trigger.

Lots of good messages brought forth though, can't hate that.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Geoff really improved over the embarrassment that were the Spike TV years. It wasn't about trying to be cool, it was just about celebrating all that is gaming. Having said that, I do still wish there was a true industry awards that wasn't just a thinly veiled excuse for advertising. Something akin to the Oscars where the best developers are truly recognised for their contributions to the industry free from crass commercial interests.

I agree there's room for improvement there. I believe geoff k wants to go that way. Towards legitamacy. Towards respectability. That's the impression i get.

I'm sure it's a fight. The megapublishers throw serious money around and it's not all fun and games.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of all of the esports stuff and it's a lot better.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's the first game show awards that was really legit good and you won't be embarrassed telling your friends about it.

This.

They finally nailed the vibe. IMO, the VGA's had their proper coming-out party this year. Great pacing, lighting, graphics, guests, and a great mix of classiness and hype.

Games have Their Show now. :)

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
It's more The Games Premiere than anything else, but it's certainly a project of love from Keighley that has paid off immensely. I hope they'll continue to find their footing and expand in the future, even if this night was still too tipsy for its own good for me, particularly when taking into account the arching runtime.

Whatever it becomes, more exposure creates more opportunities. It's no doubt the biggest name in the games ceremony pigpen now. For that, I wish you luck, Geoff et al.!

Seacrest... out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It felt like an indie reel as all of the big games got small teasers outside of the Outer Wilds and there were a few notable absentees in Death Stranding, Metroid, Splinter Cell etc.

Twas fine overall but I can see people being disappointed.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
too long, too many commercials and awards just being swept to the side..... music was great though.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It was good, but not great.

Joker in Smash blew minds though. That made it all worth it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Didn't live up to the hype imo, No Metroid, No Borderlands, etc, it's biggest announcement being a blatant advertisement for Smash DLC, announcing Joker just before release so people pick up a season pass with their copy of Smash, that's the highlight of the show.
Also not letting Sonicfox & Cory speak a little longer at an "Awards" show.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went to sleep and watched the trailers on YouTube, seems that it was even boring too when it comes to cringe moments, pretty glad I skipped.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Thought it was pretty bad, but there wasn't a giant razor or Keighley crying over Kojima, so...progress?

I think it'll eventually get there at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.