• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
198f022ddan580px_jpg.jpg

kororinpa-marble-mania-20070222092813346.jpg

super-monkey-ball-moving-platforms.png

ulus-10017-game-ss-1

dewys-adventure-20071024025723320-2175205_1024w.jpg

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
You could get Polyball or Marble Skies on Steam.

Or Switchball and Mercury Hg on last gen consoles.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Rock of Ages kinda qualifies? Maybe? Its hard to categorize Rock of Ages actually

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The original Monkey Ball games were SO good, but they've been kinda trash for a while. I played the Vita one recently... woof. I'm not sure if the concept hasn't aged well or they're just not done as well anymore. I hope it's the latter.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
A new Super Monkey Ball would be nice. Though if you like ball rolling and pinball, Yoku's Island Express has you playing as a Dung Beetle who's rolling a ball around an Island and traverse through pinball boards around the island just to deliver some mail and save the island from the "God Eater". While the last statement sounds dark, the game is actually super chill and lighthearted. The actual ball rolling is only there to walk around the world though.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
always thought cerny should make a marble madness spiritual successor. make it a roguelike or something

also tumbleseed is cool. it's like a 2d version of this:

E1659_800.jpg

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was so hooked on Marble Blast Ultra in those early days of XBL.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's not the same, but Tumbleseed sort of scratched that same itch for me.

This genre would be perfect for Switch (tm) with gyro and HD rumble.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe HAL is working on a Box Boy spin off called Ball Boy. It has been far too long, rolling balls is always a satisfying mechanic.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
The original Monkey Ball games were SO good, but they've been kinda trash for a while. I played the Vita one recently... woof. I'm not sure if the games are actually worse or they're just not done as well anymore. I hope it's the latter.
The latter.
The series peaked with Super Monkey Ball 2, and they've been declining in quality ever since.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
god we need a new game like that on the Switch, it would be perfect

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Super Monkey Ball with gyro should work pretty good.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Marble Blast Ultra has some weird PC Port or something. Game is a blast. Black Diamond was such a fun level.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Super Monkey Ball on switch seems like it should have already happened by now. It's one of those perfect systems to build the game for. Especially with the joycons being there and all.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Marble Blast Ultra was such a good game. Probably the most time I put into an XBLA game. IIRC, the it's basically a licensing mess now, so I'm doubtful we'll ever get another one :(

Oct 28, 2017
Sega seriously what's so goddamn hard about just re-releasing the first two Super Monkey Ball games? You don't even have to put any effort in to making a new one. Just release the originals again.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Glover was a genius idea because you get the dexterous gameplay of the ball with the personality and warmth of the glove. They simply do not make them like that anymore.

Oct 28, 2017
The original Monkey Ball games were SO good, but they've been kinda trash for a while. I played the Vita one recently... woof. I'm not sure if the concept hasn't aged well or they're just not done as well anymore. I hope it's the latter.
I think the Vita game was.....ok. The stage design itself is the best since SMB2 imo, but there's a number of poor decisions that let the game down and I think in their quest to bring the hardcore back to Super Monkey Ball they went a bit too far and it was a bit too punishing.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
In your opinion, when did Super Monkey Ball start becoming trash? I'm curious.
I didn't play the last one on PS2 (Super Monkey Ball Adventure?), but it looked bad. I remember being very disappointed with the one on Wii (Banana Blitz). I have Step and Roll also but I really didn't play enough of that one to form an opinion, it looks interesting, I'm just not sure how well the balance board was implemented.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Finally, it's time for Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble 2. I just know someone at HAL or Nintendo was waiting for this thread to be made so they could resume production on it.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm developing one (actually a remake of the 1986 game Spindizzy). It will be free (completely, source code and all), but I can't give a release date yet.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A bit of self-advertising, but the museum I work at just released The Original Mobile Games app, which recreates actual ball-rolling games from our collections, some of which are over 100 years old. It also includes high res images, thus the file size, of the original games and some background information about them.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-original-mobile-games/id1397502255?mt=8

Free, with downloadable games of course (I think its like $5 for them all). Also going to be streaming them tomorrow.

A bit different than Marble Madness, but still really neat in my biased opinion.

Android version is coming, with possibly more on the way after that.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There must be some good games like this on mobile, seems like an ideal platform.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I'm developing one (actually a remake of the 1986 game Spindizzy). It will be free (completely, source code and all), but I can't give a release date yet.

Never heard of this game before so I looked it up quickly. Is it almost like a ball rolling metroidvania almost? I saw whoever playing pull up a map and it it look kinda sprawling. Look forward to trying your remake!

Nov 8, 2017
Never heard of this game before so I looked it up quickly. Is it almost like a ball rolling metroidvania almost? I saw whoever playing pull up a map and it it look kinda sprawling. Look forward to trying your remake!
It's more like non-linear Marble Madness with some puzzles thrown in. You don't gain any abilities in the game to access new areas; you can just explore in any direction you like from the start. And yeah, kinda sprawling; 386 rooms in total.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
There are lots of indie ones actually, I see them pop up on Steam often enough.

I never played these games much myself but my most favorite is Metaball which was a free Unreal Tournament 2004 modification. It had a cool dreamy atmosphere that reminded me of Nights into Dreams in some ways, it also had hints of the 3D Mario game design with the way the camera angles change at appropriate places within the same level for example. It was quite pretty and clever and had a hub world and in the actual levels various different types of challenges like speed, platforming, navigation/exploration in the more open environments, puzzles, operating devices other than your character/ball, whatever. You also had to change between ball materials of different properties to overcome certain challenges. Overall it was a really good package but sadly it never gained much traction with the UT2004 mod fanbase. I think it was going to be remade as an indie game at some point or get a sequel but it never came to be in the end.

There aren't any good quality videos out there, I guess it was before youtube was all the rage (or at all?) but I found this guy's playthrough, it has the wrong aspect ratio and he's also playing quite dumb in parts even though he's finished it before these videos (so you don't see the intro or anything even if you start at part 1).

Last edited: