• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Me too, OP. I wish Konami would get their shit together so I could replay the series. With the current console gen there's some holes.

MG1: Only if you have a PS2 (or BC PS3) via Subsistance
MG2: Only if you have a PS2 (or BC PS3) via Subsistance
MGS: PS1, PS2, PS3, Vita
MGS2: XB1 PS4
MGS3: XB1 PS4
MGS:PW: PS4 (via Now)
MGS4: PS4 (via Now Only)
MGS5: XB1 PS4

How can I play MGS2/3 on PS4? Are those Now only as well? I thought the HD collection was only released for last-gen consoles.

Also, just wanted to drop in again to show some love for Metal Gear REX, my beefy boy and my favorite mech design of all time.

Dh_jQZiVMAEaxGm

Honestly, I just want to shout out the concept of a Metal Gear in general. The idea of a walking nuclear launcher is so impractical in the real world where ICBMS and nuclear submarines exist, but the games do an incredible job of selling it as a paradigm-shifting, awe-inspiring superweapon that can change the face of global politics. I love MG2's intro with the schematics:

And of course the DARPA Chief's iconic introduction:

There's just something about the phrase "Metal Gear" that instantly appealed to me when I was a kid. I had no idea what it meant (and clearly Kojima didn't either, judging from Granin's hilariously bad justification for it in 3), but those two words just sparked something in my imagination. I didn't even have a PS1 but I bought the strategy guide and read it to pieces because I had to know what Metal Gear was.

Sep 22, 2019
Honestly, the only thing missing to complete the Metal Gear Saga is to remake MG 1 & 2. Kojima wouldn't be needed since it wouldn't ruin the canon with stories that don't pertain to it.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE every single Kojima MGS. 5 perfected the gameplay - too bad it was not finished yeah..

... but I am actually enjoying Death Stranding even more.

perhaps its an age thing but i love the game loop in DS more than any mgs

Oct 25, 2017
It was my favorite series of all time.
I expect them to remake MG1 and MG2 and then maybe just make a Metal Gear 3 spinoff that's entirely sidesteps Kojima but can get away with using Solid stuff in a different way.

Like imagine a Metal Gear 3 that is open world like V that is 3 player co-op,
Player 1 is Solid Snake but Player 2 is Sniper Wolf and Player 3 is Mei-Ling
Snake plays all around
Wolf is the best with long range weapons and spotting
Mei-Ling isn't great with weapons but has loads of gadgets including a new and improved Soliton Radar and can hack security systems including surveillance cameras of an entire base.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crap, double post.

How can I play MGS2/3 on PS4? Are those Now only as well? I thought the HD collection was only released for last-gen consoles.
The HD Collection is on PS Now.

You can play mg1&2 on ps3 & vita in the HD collection. Select them from the mgs3 menu
That's good to know. Is it the same with the HD collection that's on Gamepass and PSNow? That would mean that only MGS is missing from currently get. That and Ac!d.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. We got 3 classic tier games. A couple of good ones and a shite one.

I'm happy to see Kojima move on to new things and let the series rest. Konami will keep making them but who cares?

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
The games are still there. You can go back and play them or their HD re-releases. They are all really replayable, even MGSIV, which I'm not too fond of because of the cutscene to game ratio, but I've played through MGS1-3 at least a half- dozen times or so. As much as I would like a remake of the MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 in 3D, I don't think I can stomach giving Konami any more money after what they did to Kojima and Kojipro.

Dec 7, 2018
The series had to end at some point.

The perfect ending would have been to close the circle and have Solid Snake as the final boss defeat Big Boss (as the playing character) in one last game, but we aren't ever getting it.

Hell, with Phantom Pain's troubled development we didn't even get a proper continuation of Big Boss story.

Dec 15, 2017
It's a huge game series. It will get remastered and packaged to modern platforms some day. I never expected to have the classic dmc games on PC but here we are.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
All I want is the HD collection and 4 available on modern hardware. All in one place. Honestly, for as many positive things as V had going for it gameplay-wise, everything post-4 has detracted from the series as a whole for me.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 6: Tactical Slot machine Operations

Apr 19, 2018
Like Resident Evil 4, MGS3 is the one action-adventure title I can play over and over again and still enjoy it to this day. Their campaigns are just oh so satisfying.

It's a shame the HD Collection hasn't it made its way to current consoles. Maybe next-gen?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its fine mr. Kojima had a good run time for something new and fresh i heard he even published a new game even quite successful on Japan

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still hoping for Fox Engine remakes. Hell I'd take a reboot without Kojima but with MGS V gameplay

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i kinda don't, really. and MGSV may very well be my game of the gen

seemed like to him MGS was that old girlfriend you keep hooking up with. like, it's good when it's good. but isn't it time to move onto other stuff?

in a perfect world where Konami was ready and able to "carry the torch" sure i'd be jonesing at the possibility. but it's not a perfect world and we got plenty of games and a somewhat reasonable sendoff with MGS4 and 5 so. it can rip in peace, begrudgingly

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That's good to know. Is it the same with the HD collection that's on Gamepass and PSNow? That would mean that only MGS is missing from currently get. That and Ac!d.
Sort of. The Vita HD Collection doesn't include Peace Walker. You can buy the digital original PSP version of Peace Walker on Vita which I've been told is an alright version but the HD version is so much better just for the extra controls. Also you can buy MGS1 as a PS1 Classic title.

I think it's got Portable Ops too?

Also off note playing the MGS HD Collection through PS Now has a sucky feature. PS4 Controller doesn't have analogue face buttons, so some moves can't be pulled off. The Vita and Xbox versions remapped those buttons to something else but the PS Now keeps them meaning stuff like grabbing a soldier from behind in MGS3 you instantly cut their throat and other wierdness.

Last edited:

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Same
But we gotta admit good media does not last forever, if anything it's a huge exception that most huge gaming franchises like Zelda or Mario are still as relevant as they were.
Look at Terminator or Alien or any huge movie franchise from the 80s, stuck between mediocre and desperate attempts to still make a good movie.
I'm just glad the MGS franchise existed, and while it may never have have a new great game, it had a great run.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me too, OP. I wish Konami would get their shit together so I could replay the series. With the current console gen there's some holes.

MG1: Only if you have a PS2 (or BC PS3) via Subsistance
MG2: Only if you have a PS2 (or BC PS3) via Subsistance
MGS: PS1, PS2, PS3, Vita
MGS2: XB1 PS4
MGS3: XB1 PS4
MGS:PW: PS4 (via Now)
MGS4: PS4 (via Now Only)
MGS5: XB1 PS4

Ac!d 1/2: "lol, go fuck yourself" - Konami
Peace Walker HD is playable on Xbox One via BC

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Me too. MGSV was an incredible game, not only it deserved to be finished, but it deserved to be a base for future MGS games.
Anyway, with such a succesful history, I'm sure this series will come back.

Jan 11, 2018
If MGS V was the direction they were going to continue in, I'm happy it's over.

That being said, MGS V was mechanically immaculate, and I'd love a new IP in the spirit of it. But to me, MGS ended with MGS IV.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Where was camp Omega originally meant to be located? Konami must have been way over budget if they felt the need for a quick buck by launching it separately.

Me too. Things I'd wish for.

MGSV finished, full act 2 and an act 3.

Metal Gear 1&2 remade. MGS1 remade. MGS2 remade with snake's sections we didn't get to see as playable. MGS3 and 4 remade.

A MGS6 set during the time of the original Boss, the sorrow and the cobras.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I've missed the series since MGS3. 1, 2 and 3 are a perfect trilogy. I thought Portable Ops was a nice little inoffensive spin-off, but I couldn't really get into anything after that. V's gameplay is so great but there wasn't any substance there to make it a great game.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Where was camp Omega originally meant to be located? Konami must have been way over budget if they felt the need for a quick buck by launching it separately.
I've recently started replaying MGSV. I think Omega was supposed to be a flashback sequence right after you rescue Kaz. Once you're back in the helicopter he starts talking about the GZ event. Feels like it would've been the perfect spot to fade to black and then start the GZ intro.

Would've perfectly set everything up if the game had just launched as TPP too. Start in the hospital, "what the hell is going on? Coma? What?!", play the game like this for a couple hours and then have the big flashback explaining what happened.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I just want more games with these surreal, idealized boss encounter's that are not JRPGs or hack and slash games because Japanese games do this a bunch but not in genres that are explicitly action focused.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I've recently started replaying MGSV. I think Omega was supposed to be a flashback sequence right after you rescue Kaz. Once you're back in the helicopter he starts talking about the GZ event. Feels like it would've been the perfect spot to fade to black and then start the GZ intro.

Would've perfectly set everything up if the game had just launched as TPP too. Start in the hospital, "what the hell is going on? Coma? What?!", play the game like this for a couple hours and then have the big flashback explaining what happened.
Yeah that sounds perfect and tbh it was obviously meant to be part of the main game. Can't blame Konami though if it was going way over budget. Just a real damn shame.