• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. If they make more I will probably check them out, but MGS as a series storywise went to, "WTF is this shit? Are you kidding me with this nonsense?" built a home there and raised a family a while ago. If another one never gets made I am fine with that as well.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only trilogy remake that could beat Dead Space, Mass Effect and Burnout would be MGS1-3 remade in the Fox/ Decima Engine. Those games are classics.

You can leave 4 in the trash.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Real talk, playing DS has made me so nostalgic for this series that I reinstalled all the games and am planning a playthrough.

Except for MGSV. The series ends at 4, IMO.
Yeah, 4 was so bad that it almost killed the series for me, too. Fortunately I gave V a shot and found it to be one of the best games of the last ten years.

Mos Def

Sep 17, 2019
Nice welcome to the series! Since you're starting with the hd collection I would probably say start with which ever one you want! MGS 2 includes a piece of content called "the shadow Moses Incident" which recaps all you need to know from the first game. MGS 3 is a prequal that stars the final boss of the first few Metal Gear games Big Boss. If you want to you can even play those MG games in 3 as they are included as bonuses!

thanks man. should I play 5 after 4? if i should i will buy it while its on sale now.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
i have decided to play some of the mgs games after having played the death stranding just went for it and borrowed my friend's x360 today to play the hd collection.
never played an mgs before so how should I start? since I only have the hd collection is 3-2 then 4 fine? i dont have a ps3 currently but i will figure it out.
First of all: always play in release order!!

And I would start with the first game to be honest.
You can get it on every Playstation device out there.

Then play 2, 3, 4 and 5 if you want.

I'm a big fan of the franchise but never beat Peace Walker.
Don't really like the games after part 3 anyways to be honest..

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
Sort of. The Vita HD Collection doesn't include Peace Walker. You can buy the digital original PSP version of Peace Walker on Vita which I've been told is an alright version but the HD version is so much better just for the extra controls. Also you can buy MGS1 as a PS1 Classic title.

I think it's got Portable Ops too?

If you have henkaku and adrenaline on the vita there's some very impressive plugins for Peace Walker to provide native right stick camera controls and improved frame rate. Good mix between the portability of the original and the QoL improvements of the remasters.

Last edited:

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Metal Gear Survive is actually the natural evolution of the Solid series

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV disabused me of the idea of wanting more MG. It's solid gameplay but doesn't feel like part of the series.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just want a remake of Metal Gear Solid. None of the sequels could really live up to that masterpiece anyway.

OP
OP
Cantaim

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
thanks man. should I play 5 after 4? if i should i will buy it while its on sale now.
4 first then 5, there's some stuff that will be undermined in 4 if you play 5 first. As 5 has some late game twists that spoil things revealed at the end of 4 if I remember correctly. Also is Peace Walker in the HD collection? If it is you need to play that game before MGS 5 as well. Mostly because Peace Walker is a mainline to the point where MGSV: Ground Zero's plot happens because of events that happened in Peace Walker's secret ending.

If you don't feel like playing an HD PSP game tho. Google the secret ending so you can have context as to why Ground Zero's happened haha.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
You better start to miss it more, unless someone outside Konami money-hats a new one (or a re-release, or a remaster or remake) or someone else at Konami who isn't Japanese Mr Burns takes over then they'll never be another Metal Gear Solid or any re-release ever again.

I'm hoping for another remake on next generation consoles. Even if it has to be a timed exclusive.

OP
OP
Cantaim

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I made a mistake y'all I pulled out my "Art of Metal Gear Solid 5" art book and looked over the concept stuff. I came across the unused design for Punished Chico and I was reminded of how much cool shit we missed out on cause of Konami!

Can you imagine how hype/sad it would have been to see this goober go from this

5dc1c7a5a21f0b29109fe65768b8f23d.jpg

To this

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Chico-Art.jpg

GAH!!!

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I am happy with Metal Gear Solid being ended and finished and over and done.

It was a fantastic series, but the more games Kojima had to make, the more problems the story began to develop. Even though I fucking love all the MGS games and their story, when Kojima was just making things up as he went along and having to come up with answers for questions he never originally intended to solve, it was always bound to spiral out of control.

I did love the gameplay and emergent element of Phantom Pain though. And how rewarding it was to feel like you were actively building up your own private army. Sometimes I dip back into MGSV just to assault some outposts and fuck shit up. It feels fantastic.

I'm glad Kojima is getting the chance to do something new and original. That's what I wanted for him ever since MGS4.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I made a mistake y'all I pulled out my "Art of Metal Gear Solid 5" art book and looked over the concept stuff. I came across the unused design for Punished Chico and I was reminded of how much cool shit we missed out on cause of Konami!

Can you imagine how hype/sad it would have been to see this goober go from this

5dc1c7a5a21f0b29109fe65768b8f23d.jpg

To this

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Chico-Art.jpg

GAH!!!
That hooded picture kinda looks like Higgs. He's wearing a mask underneath right? I can see like a jaw line.

Just dumping any Chico plot was a really wierd choice I barely remember any tapes talking about him in V. Also would have preferred Amanda in fatigues compared to Quiet. She just drops off the face of the earth too. You would think her revenge story would be stronger than Millers.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
Same here even though I admit im yet to play V but I do have it ready to play when I have proper time to play through. MGS3 is 1 of my all time best games, blew me away at the time.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
i miss how MGS1 was a perfect blend of cutscenes, cornyness, and serious times that made an expirence that none of the later games could replicate

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
After playing TPP I can easily say that I'm glad the series is dead.

Easily one of the worst games I have ever played.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm conflicted. The series lost the plot (literally) after 3. Gameplay outside of 5 has been hit or miss (but even 5 had some annoying things like Mother Base). I feel like it would only deteriorate further.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
2 Things would interest me:

I would love to see an re-imagining of the MGS series. Have a new talents working on it.
But shinkawa would have to stay, his designs are just toooo ingrained in the MGS franchise.

Go all in on nostalgia (and because of lack of new ideas) and remaster all the games.
Maybe straighten out some plot points. Flesh out the older games etc.

I just fear that MGS without Kojima won't feel like MGS. So I expect a from/version of 2 to happen before 1 happens.
But it's all just hope and dreams because we know Konami doesn't care....

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Second half of Death Stranding is pretty much MGS, so just get to that part haha. MGS story just got a bit convoluted near the end overall, it, itself didn't know where to go anymore.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Such a shame how it ended. If you combined the gameplay of MGSV with the general excellence of MGS3, it would probably be my favorite game ever. They just needed another shot with MGSV gameplay to reach that sort of level.

Yes, I've said it many times, but an MGS3 Fox-Engine remake with the CQC intricacies of MGS3 and V animations would be my game of the forever.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Me too, but it's done.

Also, nice stealth thread. In more ways than one. God this will be a long month.

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
yeah man, me too, for me it is the best franchise of all time, metal gear solid 1,2,3 all three have especial place in my heart. MGS 4 was good, but has too much cutscene, wich compromise the gameplay in my opinion, still great. MGS 5 its the opposite, has a great gameplay, but cutscenes dont add much to the story, and world feels empty and bland.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV soured me a lot, it just wasn't a good MGS.

1-4 are amazing, though, they don't even need remakes. A remastered collection on new consoles and pc would be awesome though.