• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really missing Xcom/2. Final Fantasy tactics and the like. But I feel the only time I'm really going to fit that in is at night before bed right now with my schedule. I need a good turn based tactical recommendation for switch. Any recommendations?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wargroove's your answer, for now. Disgaea 5 if you enjoy big numbers.

Still waiting on Fire Emblem personally.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Into The Breach

It's more like a puzzle game than an XCOM, but still fucking amazing if you're into turn based strategy.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Story structure is pretty Mario. Go to a new world, beat the base levels, find collectables, beat the world Boss, then rinse and repeat.

Rabbids typically suck but here it's not so bad and the gameplay is good lots of mobility and an emphasis on team work

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4 count? Tactical turns, but real-time movement, time-frozen attacking.

Also, The Banner Saga, maybe?

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Huh, interesting I didn't know it came to switch. How does it handle? It was something I had meant to play, heard good things about but didn't get to it.

VC1 is pretty good. Essentially it plays like a TPS where time pauses when you give commands so if you are moving a unit there is intercepting fire ect. One class is a bit broken and the game's ranking system prioritises taking advantage of that but if you play it more methodically you will still have fun.

VC1 is quite charming VC4 TBD

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with Darkest Dungeon if you're not into the puzzle-ish nature of Into the Breach.

Scratches that itch of nearly being on the edge of death + has similar base management and then mission gameplay loop.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with Darkest Dungeon if you're not into the puzzle-ish nature of Into the Breach.

Scratches that itch of nearly being on the edge of death + has similar base management and then mission gameplay loop.
Played the crap out of it on PC, and have it on switch! Loved it.

I just love the story driven nature of some of the turn based tactical games. I really miss Final Fantasy Tactics. Fire Emblem is a big must for me as well later. Anyone know if there's app that allows PC streaming to phones? I know of shield. I'm thinking maybe Shadow Tactics as well. I heard that's amazing.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
VC1 is pretty good. Essentially it plays like a TPS where time pauses when you give commands so if you are moving a unit there is intercepting fire ect. One class is a bit broken and the game's ranking system prioritises taking advantage of that but if you play it more methodically you will still have fun.

VC1 is quite charming VC4 TBD
I'll definitely give it a shot, but I struggle with enjoying RTWP as much. I wish I didn't. It's just an odd aversion. I prefer they stick to real time or turn based tactical typically.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the crap out of it on PC, and have it on switch! Loved it.

I just love the story driven nature of some of the turn based tactical games. I really miss Final Fantasy Tactics. Fire Emblem is a big must for me as well later. Anyone know if there's app that allows PC streaming to phones? I know of shield. I'm thinking maybe Shadow Tactics as well. I heard that's amazing.
steam link if your phone is Android

Shadow tactics isn't turn based but it is great

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Any recommendations?
Into the Breach.

Check out some gameplay and see if you think you'll like it. Personally, I think it's the best pure turn-based strategy game ever made. The rules are so cohesively designed that it plays like a gorram puzzle game half the time.

Wargroove is good too, but nothing special.

Mario+Rabbids is honestly pretty dull in terms of strategy tbh.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
i beat the first vc on switch a few months back and didnt care for it, so try the demo for 4 and id try the cheaper first one before the more expensive fourth.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I think you'd find Mario + Rabbids suitable despite your hesitance. It's worth a look at least. It's surprisingly deep and has a lot of challenging side content.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Into the Breach is nice, but it gets repetitive after a while because there's almost no story to keep you engaged.
Mario + Rabbids is "fun" but not deep (at least the first couple of hours I played seemed so).
My recommendation is Valkyria Chronicles 4. Nice gameplay, nice story and characters. Looks and runs great on Switch.
I'm going to give Wargroove a go soon. Heard so many good things about it. Fire Emblem Three Houses can't come soon enough.

Oct 25, 2017
My avatar is from the DK DLC for the Rabbids game.

I got it at its launch and graze on it from time to time. It released out of nowhere a little while after the base game actually.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found HW to be pretty dull. The many campaigns means you don't really get the character growth and attachment, and the mechanic of your resource also tying into your "dodge" mechanic often makes it so it feels like using all the cool tricks you have is not worth it.

Setting is great and some decent stories in there, but Creative Forge really struggle to make fun and interesting gameplay between it and Phantom Doctrine.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Mario + Rabbids scratches the XCOM itch directly and gets decently challenging after a while. If that's your jam, you really, really can't go wrong.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
If you find something let me know as I've been trying to find something like XCOM on Switch and failing.

Never really understood the love for Rabbids I just found it too shallow and easy.

Hard West I've only played for about an hour but I found it pretty dull.

As much as I enjoyed Into The Breach I found it much more of a puzzle game that anything else.

Played the original VC to death and don't really want to play it again.

I played Mutant Year Zero on Xbox and felt it relied way too heavily on the stealth mechanic for me.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
You can't go wrong with Into The Breach, it's one of those "perfect for Switch" kind of game, it took me a while to get into it because it's not an easy game for beginners but after it's gameplay clicked, yeah it felt so good and enjoyable.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4 count? Tactical turns, but real-time movement, time-frozen attacking.

Also, The Banner Saga, maybe?
Wait. I watched a little more gameplay. Is it, "realtime" when it's your turn? So you run in real time and take an action as a character, but everyone else is still until their turn?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Play the Banner Saga. It's a cross between The Oregon Trail and Final Fantasy Tactics set in a Norwegian/Norse type of fantasy setting with the morally grey and brutal choices and events (to a degree) of a Game of Thrones complete with their version of a looming, winter is coming threat. The art is like and old school, cell shaded movie and the soundtrack is really good too.

There are three episodes, and the story builds on the choices you make along the way (ala Mass Effect Trilogy) including characters living and dying.

The games are fantastic, and I really think anybody who likes tactical games should play them.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. I watched a little more gameplay. Is it, "realtime" when it's your turn? So you run in real time and take an action as a character, but everyone else is still until their turn?
Yes, except enemy units can intercept fire while you're controlling a unit (the same goes for when it's the enemy turn and your units will intercept fire) and most units that are attcked get a counter attack. Time freezes when you aim so you have infinite time to place your shots.

It goes like this:

You have X number of Command Points.

Choose a unit on the tactical map to take a turn with them. This uses 1 or more CP.

When taking a turn with a unit, you control them real time. They can move a certain amount (Action Points/AP), and take 1 action (healing, attacking, repairing).

Choosing a unit multiple times in the same round lowers the amount of AP available.

Some units or attacks are ammo limited as well (e.g. grenades), and ammo normally replenishes 1 per round.

When you're out of CP, it swaps over to the enemy's turn to move. After they're done, the round is over.

A basic video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wqduMHVajDw

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, except enemy units can intercept fire while you're controlling a unit (the same goes for when it's the enemy turn and your units will intercept fire) and most units that are attcked get a counter attack. Time freezes when you aim so you have infinite time to place your shots.

It goes like this:

You have X number of Command Points.

Choose a unit on the tactical map to take a turn with them. This uses 1 or more CP.

When taking a turn with a unit, you control them real time. They can move a certain amount (Action Points/AP), and take 1 action (healing, attacking, repairing).

Choosing a unit multiple times in the same round lowers the amount of AP available.

Some units or attacks are ammo limited as well (e.g. grenades), and ammo normally replenishes 1 per round.

When you're out of CP, it swaps over to the enemy's turn to move. After they're done, the round is over.

A basic video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wqduMHVajDw
Awesome, I'm completely ok with that. Overwatch/reactive fire is completely normal for turn based strat.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
+1 to Banner Saga. Beautiful games with perhaps a stronger focus on story than what you may be after but the combat system is very much in the FFT/XCOM vein and can be very engaging and brutal.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
SteamWorld Heist is lit. Short, super replayable because of numerous characters and higher difficulty levels, buckets of charm thanks to the art & music. Not so heavy on the story, but a pleasant ride nonetheless. Played the crap out of it back on the 3DS and had been meaning to pick it up on Switch whenever I get the itch for it again.