• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I feel this is not thread worthy, but I've been searching the net for over 2 hours for a solution now...

My problem:
- Bought a new M.2 drive and re-installed Windows and all apps on it yesterday.
- On my old Windows install, I had all games in English (from Twitch Prime and Game Pass too(!), not one Epic Store and Steam where you can set it directly),
- BUT my Windows OS language, all apps like MS Office, Zoom etc. where in GERMAN aaand the date format was in GERMAN too.
- Just re-installed Sunset Overdrive from my Game Pass subscription and it's in German. It has no in-game language options.
- On my old Windows install that game was in English, the only thing that was German were the names of the keyboard buttons.

How did I do this before?
I'd be VERY thankful for any help and I hope other people with the same problem can find this thread faster than any wrong or bad solutions I was able to find in the last wasted 2 hours.

Fake edit:
I remember that in some games (Telltale games or Forza Horizon 3 for example), you needed to change the region or the region format to an english speaking country (I remember this very well, since I printed my master thesis on "letter format" while using actual Din A4 paper, 200+ pages of quality paper for the garbage bin). But I don't think this was the case any more. Also, I did try to change region and region format to US right now, restarted PC and started Sunset Overdrive and it was still in German.
I'm 100% certain that all my games were english before and that my windows taskbar clock had a german 24h and DD.MM.YY date format before.

OP
OP
TylerDurden4321
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't think this has anything to do with your region. My region is set to USA and I have 24h and same date format.

Did you reinstall Sunset Overdrive after making the change?
You can set region independent from region formats, but if you set region format to US, you can't have 24h time format or a date format with a dot, even if you try to set everything manually, it doesn't offer a format like time 19:32 and date 19.12.2020.

I did not re-install Sunset Overdrive. This might be it, but I never had this issue with any other game. Forza Horizon and the Telltale games changed it directly with the changing the region format.

Wanchan

Oct 27, 2017
You can set region independent from region formats, but if you set region format to US, you can't have 24h time format or a date format with a dot, even if you try to set everything manually, it doesn't offer a format like time 19:32 and date 19.12.2020.

You have to go to "change data formats" (bottom of Region window) and in "short time" and "long time" set the hours without AM/PM to use the 24h clock/time format.

OP
OP
TylerDurden4321
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You have to go to "change data formats" (bottom of Region window) and in "short time" and "long time" set the hours without AM/PM to use the 24h clock/time format.
I found it, thank you.
It's only for the time not for the date, but now I'm not sure anymore if I actually had german date format and set all the number formats to a custom format on my old install.

Game is still in German, but I'm gonna redownload it now like Jaded Aly suggested.

How is this still a nightmare after so many years? Never was a problem in Steam as far as I know and the Epic Store got it right at launch too.
Awful shit, Microsoft.

OP
OP
TylerDurden4321
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I now set EVERYTHING except Display Language to US, even keyboard layout.

I uninstalled Sunset Overdrive and re-installed it, which the Game Pass app did in 10x of my actual internet speed. It must have found not-really-uninstalled recycled files somewhere and just revalidated them.

Guess what, the game is STILL in GERMAN. I don't know what to do. This automatic language crap is such a mess.

I'm now gonna try another game that definitely has no language options and see if if this will be in english.