• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys, so long story short, I am disabled and require my mother to pretty much get all my food and organise all my doctors appointments and whatever else. but the last 3 or so years she's gone insane, I can't have a 10 minute conversation with her without her telling me about "big pharma" or Hilary running pedophile rings (we arent even american so I dont even know why shes so obsessed with hilary, but its relentless) she thinks that the reason kids in Africa look starving is because Bill Gates is giving them "vaccines" to kill them for population control. I rang her yesterday and asked her if she could get me medicine from the pharmacy and she started telling me how many "chemtrails" are in the air right now poisoning us. Even simple things like dogs being desexed to her is a conspiracy by the government because for some reason she thinks they dont want us to have dogs.

I don't know what to do, relying on someone that is making my life hell is really really hard, its gotten so bad that I legit have felt like killing myself to escape her, being disabled means my life is already pretty crappy but all day the only person I have on this planet to look after me and care for me is obsessed with far right conspiracies and nazi style views on race. She is obsessed and no matter how many times I tell her I don't care and that it's all bullshit she keeps trying to "red pill" me. it's not fair for her to do this to me when I have severe mental problems and physical problems.

What can I do? if I don't have her I will have no one but honestly, at this point it feels like mental abuse and that she's purposefully trying to make me upset or angry. I have been contemplating suicide and I know you guys may think that's an overreaction to this, but just picture being trapped 24/7 with a nazi/alt-right person who wont shut up about it and being completely defenseless.

Is there anything you guys can suggest? I'm at my wits end.

Sorry if this is a dumb thread, I don't know where to go for help.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Do you have any other family you can reach out to? How old are you?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Sign her up for some college coursework like History, Language Studies, or some other liberal arts. Old people need something to do and focus on. Otherwise, they fall into stupid shit on the internet and radio.

OP
OP
Djkhaled

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you have any other family you can reach out to? How old are you?
I have 2 sisters who unfortunately she managed to convince that this stuff is true, besides that I have my father who physically and sexually abused me as a child so yeah I have no one. I am 25 which makes me feel even more pathetic that I rely on my mother.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
In the UK I'd suggest you refer yourself to Adult Social Services department of your local council whoI believe can provide an adequate carer part-funded from your existing disability benefits. If elsewhere, I'm obviously unable to help, but you should certainly look for any information services applicable to your country's social services infrastructure.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Are your disabilities issues that can be treated or managed to the point that you can be independent? Your best option, if possible, would be to become more independent.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Once somebody goes down the alt-right rabbit hole and becomes a true believer they are beyond help. I had that same hatred take over my own family, and what I recieved as thanks for my attempts at reason were threats of violence that ultimately ended with me being assaulted and ejected from the house I grew up in. All I can say is find anyone or any other place to stay, and remove yourself from that environment.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have 2 sisters who unfortunately she managed to convince that this stuff is true, besides that I have my father who physically and sexually abused me as a child so yeah I have no one. I am 25 which makes me feel even more pathetic that I rely on my mother.

It's not pathetic. Please don't think of yourself like that.

Cousins? Uncles? Aunts? Grandparents? This is a time to pull every trigger you got. If you have any family members that don't believe what your mom espouses but care for you, tell them that you are afraid for your health and safety. I don't know what the longterm solution is, but I fully believe you have to get out of that house and establish other support networks. I don't think you can "save" your mother, at least not while you are vulnerable and relying on her.

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be some youth welfare office or something like that where you live. If it is like like you describe you should make the authorities aware of that and work towards custody being taken away from your mother.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
We all must learn to tune out our parents. As long as she isnt putting your life in danger you just got to ignore her. Or debate her, but be warned it can lead to her throwing a tantrum.

OP
OP
Djkhaled

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sign her up for some college coursework like History, Language Studies, or some other liberal arts. Old people need something to do and focus on. Otherwise, they fall into stupid shit on the internet and radio.
I've thought about this but she is very very convinced that colleges are marxist propaganda that are lying about history, honestly its like she went to 8chan and took anything they said as facts, thats how she lives her life. She was normal when i was little or at least I thought she was, but something changed around 3 years ago in her head.

In the UK I'd suggest you refer yourself to Adult Social Services department of your local council whoI believe can provide an adequate carer part-funded from your existing disability benefits. If elsewhere, I'm obviously unable to help, but you should certainly look for any information services applicable to your country's social services infrastructure.

I'm in Australia, I am sure we'd have something similar, I will definitely look into it.

Are your disabilities issues that can be treated or managed to the point that you can be independent? Your best option, if possible, would be to become more independent.

My disabilities are weird, I am mentally disabled due to a brain trauma I had when crashed my motorbike as a child so I find it extremely hard to concentrate on stuff and I start panicking and can become so bad I can start having minor convulsions. Physically I can walk probably about 30 metres before I need to sit for around half an hour due to that same accident. My spine was completely messed up in the accident.

Once somebody goes down the alt-right rabbit hole and becomes a true believer they are beyond help. I had that same hatred take over my own family, and what I recieved as thanks for my attempts at reason were threats of violence that ultimately ended with me being assaulted and ejected from the house I grew up in. All I can say is find anyone or any other place to stay, and remove yourself from that environment.

Yeah I am starting to feel like there is no way out for her and I really really want there to be, not just for my sake but for hers too.

OP
OP
Djkhaled

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There has to be some youth welfare office or something like that where you live. If it is like like you describe you should make the authorities aware of that and work towards custody being taken away from your mother.

I am unsure whats available where I am, I'm very remote in an Aboriginal community so services are very very limited. But there has to be something and I will definitely start googling and try to get some info

It's not pathetic. Please don't think of yourself like that.

Cousins? Uncles? Aunts? Grandparents? This is a time to pull every trigger you got. If you have any family members that don't believe what your mom espouses but care for you, tell them that you are afraid for your health and safety. I don't know what the longterm solution is, but I fully believe you have to get out of that house and establish other support networks. I don't think you can "save" your mother, at least not while you are vulnerable and relying on her.

I have my grandma but shes nearly 90 and I cant put the stress on her, she already is sick. If I saw a GP or psychologist over skype (as i cant leave the house travel and see one in person) would they be able to help me do you think?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
It's far easier to fool someone than to convince them they've been fooled, more so the older they get.

I have no advice, it's just a shitty situation.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Have you looked into things like HCS homes or other government funded care options? Are you your own payee for social security?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am starting to feel like there is no way out for her and I really really want there to be, not just for my sake but for hers too.
That's completely understandable but for now you need to look after yourself first.
No offense but if your mom is at the stage where she thinks the government doesn't want you to have dogs she might be too far gone for you to help her by yourself. At least while you still somewhat depend on her, I wouldn't recommend confronting her about her beliefs.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

It may sound brutal because she is your mother and obviously once did a pretty good job of raising you, but if you can alert the authorities about your worries they may then (and only then) want to investigate your situation. Once they're made aware of a problem and your concerns are documented, they'll have to do something or risk being held to account if, for example, your carer fails to provide you with access to medicine because of some nonsensical beliefs about "big pharma".

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I am unsure whats available where I am, I'm very remote in an Aboriginal community so services are very very limited. But there has to be something and I will definitely start googling and try to get some info

I have my grandma but shes nearly 90 and I cant put the stress on her, she already is sick. If I saw a GP or psychologist over skype (as i cant leave the house travel and see one in person) would they be able to help me do you think?

I'm not Australian so I'm not familiar with all the laws and whatnot but getting in touch with a professional is a good idea. Use every resource you can to get out of the house and living somewhere safely. Your health is more important than trying to make peace with your mother if it's as bad as you describe.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica

Its not pathetic man. I'm 27, college degree, and I'm in poverty living with my mother while unemployed doing volunteer work to get into grad school. Lots of people go through difficult times in their life. I've got Bipolar disorder and have government assistance to help while trying to figure everything out. Don't put yourself down man.

Are you able to get assistance from your government? Hopfully you can have a constant income coming in atm.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Unlucky perhaps, but not pathetic.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I suggest calling a suicide help line. Not because you are in immediate danger of hurting yourself, but because you do have persistent ideation and suicide helplines have links to lots of other resources. They may be able to get you in contact with other organizations that can provide you with relief and resources.

OP
OP
Djkhaled

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have you looked into things like HCS homes or other government funded care options? Are you your own payee for social security?

I did a while ago but everything I found was at least 2 hours away from me because the government doesnt fund aboriginal majority areas very well. and yeah I receive my social security money directly into my bank account, but she has full control over my social security account because shes marked as my carer, so she can ring and cancel it whenever she wants which scares me because she is vindictive enough to maybe do it, I need to get that right taken away from her but I dont know what to do.

That's completely understandable but for now you need to look after yourself first.
No offense but if your mom is at the stage where she thinks the government doesn't want you to have dogs she might be too far gone for you to help her by yourself. At least while you still somewhat depend on her, I wouldn't recommend confronting her about her beliefs.

No offense taken, I have felt for a while she is too far gone with all of this.

Could you apply for assistance from the government, a caregiver?

I get social security and I used to have a nurse that would come visit me 3 times a week but my mum organised that and then cancelled it on me.

OP
OP
Djkhaled

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did have a girlfriend at one point but..... yeah, didnt work out. She couldn't handle all the stress of my mother combined with my disabilities, my mother would always say horrible things about her and it ran her off.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I would call whatever version of adult protective services are in your state and get them to help you out. I'd also research a local disability advocate for some advice.

OP
OP
Djkhaled

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also, just want to add some backstory to the whole government doesnt want us to have dogs things. I asked her if we could look into getting a dog to train as an emotional support dog but to do that they need to be desexed before the organisation will help train them and she refused to help me get one because according to her its the government trying to control us by making us get the dog desexed. She wanted me to have the dog breed so we can make money. I just wanted a dog to help comfort me.

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
My suggestions are:

1) immediately stop trying to convince her that her beliefs are wrong. It's not said often enough, but all these people who believe this stuff have serious mental health issues. There is no reason to discuss it with her as you can not change her mind because her opinions are based off of unhealthy emotional reactions, not information.
2) what you can discuss with her is how is she feeling, what's going on in her life, is she happy, etc. If possible this will hopefully lead to encouraging her to see a therapist. Forget getting her meds cuz that obviously won't work, but getting her to speak to a professional therapist could help. Don't encourage her to see a natureopath or something like that cuz while that person may be ok, they may also be a lunatic. There are support groups and therapy specifically for caretakers so that could help.
3) prepare for the long haul. If she can get therapy to address some of her paranoia and delusion and re-prioritize her life and put her own health at the center of her thoughts, the other stuff will melt away. That will take a while though, so you'll have to wait.
4) get a social worker involved for yourself. Depending on where you live you may have access to supports and home health care through your health insurance. Your mom should not be your primary care taker if possible, family caretaking always breeds dysfunctional relationships.
5) get your own therapist if you're able to through health insurance and don't have one. If you're that isolated you need to prioritize your own mental health and start getting out more. I don't know what disabilities you have or the extent of them but if it's possible to not isolate yourself or speak with other people you should and if you feel like you can't the best place to start is therapy.
6) just read your other posts, you're old enough now that you NEED to take charge of your independence. Contact a legal organization behind your mom's back and see what steps you can take to get all your health and social security under your own name. Get all the info first, do not take any actions, then come up with a plan. That plan may involve lying to your mom and slowly turning her to the idea of letting you have control, or it may just be dropping the bomb and doing everything in a few days and then letting her explode and dealing with the aftermath. But you need to be in control.

and of course, if you're able to move out or be independent or just live with a sane family member, you should. You do not have a responsibility to fix your mom, and you can't. She needs to help herself. Your priority is your own life, happiness, and health.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Things seem sucky now, but stay strong OP. You can make it through this. I wish I had advice, but thankfully the advice that's been given seems sound.

Also, you are absolutely not pathetic for needing assistance in living at 25. Even if you weren't disabled, it wouldn't be pathetic.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was going to suggest something similar to this, we have a program where I live called Voices for Independence that helps people who are in similar problems with their family.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Your mother sounds like she's gone unfortunately, people that deep in don't really come back, but please look up some disability advocates in your area, they may be able to set you up with a roommates type situation so you wouldn't have to be alone. Do your best in the meantime to not let her toxicity seep into your head. You're not pathetic, you sound like a wonderful person.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Never feel pathetic. You are worth to be here. It seems like a situation where you need outside help.
Maybe you can consult with your closest friends or other family what to do. But you need to get out of this situation so that you don't get more depressed.
About your mom. Buy for her birthday or so a few heavy books to learn from such like these https://www.amazon.de/Molecular-Bio...qid=1561243421&rnid=1703609031&s=books&sr=1-1 There are many more like this if it is needed.
and also this can help https://www.amazon.com/dp/156484704...&pf_rd_p=b4bbef4e-170e-463d-8538-7eff3394b224
or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/144086152...&pf_rd_p=b4bbef4e-170e-463d-8538-7eff3394b224
And tell her that she can come up with these issues when they have read them.
But please don't let you drag you down. There are many people around you that can help you.
But I get it is very hard now. And I wish you well. But always believe in yourself how hard it can be. Always believe.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
I presume she is getting a carer payment in addition to your disability payment. That will make it very difficult to leave because she would not want to give up that extra "income".

Are you able to actually manage your own finances? like, if the money was being sent to you directly could you make financial plans and not blow it all on something that causes you not to have money for basic needs like food, water, housing, etc.?

You are an adult and therefore can leave her care. I would absolutely call social services and first ask if they can provided carers, government in the US can provide fiduciary services separate from family for people who receive government money. When/if you contact them they might only tell you to fill out a form because there isn't anything they can do until a claim or form is received, but, get on it.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I presume she is getting a carer payment in addition to your disability payment. That will make it very difficult to leave because she would not want to give up that extra "income".

Are you able to actually manage your own finances? like, if the money was being sent to you directly could you make financial plans and not blow it all on something that causes you not to have money for basic needs like food, water, housing, etc.?

You are an adult and therefore can leave her care. I would absolutely call social services and first ask if they can provided carers, government in the US can provide fiduciary services separate from family for people who receive government money. When/if you contact them they might only tell you to fill out a form because there isn't anything they can do until a claim or form is received, but, get on it.
That is also true. Just try to not let the situation drag you down to the ground.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You need to get a social services case manager. Since you have a functional disability, you need somebody who isn't your mother who can take care of these things for you.

Your priority needs to be to eliminate your reliance on her. It's obviously not working out for you.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
My suggestions are:

1) immediately stop trying to convince her that her beliefs are wrong. It's not said often enough, but all these people who believe this stuff have serious mental health issues. There is no reason to discuss it with her as you can not change her mind because her opinions are based off of unhealthy emotional reactions, not information.
2) what you can discuss with her is how is she feeling, what's going on in her life, is she happy, etc. If possible this will hopefully lead to encouraging her to see a therapist. Forget getting her meds cuz that obviously won't work, but getting her to speak to a professional therapist could help. Don't encourage her to see a natureopath or something like that cuz while that person may be ok, they may also be a lunatic. There are support groups and therapy specifically for caretakers so that could help.
3) prepare for the long haul. If she can get therapy to address some of her paranoia and delusion and re-prioritize her life and put her own health at the center of her thoughts, the other stuff will melt away. That will take a while though, so you'll have to wait.
4) get a social worker involved for yourself. Depending on where you live you may have access to supports and home health care through your health insurance. Your mom should not be your primary care taker if possible, family caretaking always breeds dysfunctional relationships.
5) get your own therapist if you're able to through health insurance and don't have one. If you're that isolated you need to prioritize your own mental health and start getting out more. I don't know what disabilities you have or the extent of them but if it's possible to not isolate yourself or speak with other people you should and if you feel like you can't the best place to start is therapy.
6) just read your other posts, you're old enough now that you NEED to take charge of your independence. Contact a legal organization behind your mom's back and see what steps you can take to get all your health and social security under your own name. Get all the info first, do not take any actions, then come up with a plan. That plan may involve lying to your mom and slowly turning her to the idea of letting you have control, or it may just be dropping the bomb and doing everything in a few days and then letting her explode and dealing with the aftermath. But you need to be in control.

and of course, if you're able to move out or be independent or just live with a sane family member, you should. You do not have a responsibility to fix your mom, and you can't. She needs to help herself. Your priority is your own life, happiness, and health.
Just scrap my advise of the books. What he said is very true. Great post. The books can come in handy(not the cell book) if she is emotional stronger again.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, just want to add some backstory to the whole government doesnt want us to have dogs things. I asked her if we could look into getting a dog to train as an emotional support dog but to do that they need to be desexed before the organisation will help train them and she refused to help me get one because according to her its the government trying to control us by making us get the dog desexed. She wanted me to have the dog breed so we can make money. I just wanted a dog to help comfort me.

Have you spoken to Centrelink about any of this? They can organise a social worker to call you and they can hopefully go from there to help you.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
My suggestions are:

I wouldnt do this if i were you - you are not in any physical or mental capacity to be supportive to someone who is wrecking your state of mind. This means, trying to engage with her or imply that she should seek help. It's not on you, at least not in your current state.

The only priority, is your well being. Be selfish in this regard.

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
I wouldnt do this if i were you - you are not in any physical or mental capacity to be supportive to someone who is wrecking your state of mind. This means, trying to engage with her or imply that she should seek help. It's not on you, at least not in your current state.

The only priority, is your well being. Be selfish in this regard.

I agree. My point wasn't to say that the OP should be taking care of her, my point is that there's no point in arguing with her and the only thing he is really able to do would be to engage her on a separate family level. My last point trumps everything - if he can move out move the fuck out. If he's stuck there, then he's in for a long haul and might as well try slow steps in trying to get her help.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Just humour her since you need her help.

Agree and make it more ridiculous. Tell her Alex Jones is a plant to distract people from the real conspiracy. Pizza gate is a false flag to throw people like her off... Hilary is actually a reptilian!

Obama isn't a Muslim, he's an Alien!

Conspiracy types run on conflict and the feeling of having special knowledge. So just deny them that.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sorry that you're going through this OP. :(
I have a few family members who are in this same crazy shit and hearing them talk about and spread ideas that are dangerous and could get people killed is horrific, being forced to stay 24/7 listening to such people would be torture.
I just wanted to tell you that I hope you get through this and gets in a better situation, stay strong buddy. :(

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Try to talk about other things with her. change the subject. jokingly tell her that the news stuff is so morbid, and give a better option like how family is doing, or a book she is reading.

Some people turn to that kind of authoritative information stuff because they make people feel "safe", while actually making them anxious, but they constantly drill into the view the value of watching or listening. 'No one else is going to tell them the truth', etc, etc. so maybe get both of you out of the house and away from the tv and radio. go to a park and watch nature or go see a movie, etc.

Trying to literally deprogram a person who has become a fanatical cult-like follower pf irrational beliefs is nothing that a person who is already physically challenged and disabled should be expected to handle. The OP runs a serious risk of harming themselves psychologically with the added load.

While some advice would be to just try and drop all subjects with your mother, if you are that dependent on her in a practical sense, I'd worry you may be put into actual danger if your mother is completely delusional. I'd agree with other suggestions here - if at all possible seek out any help from a social service.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

Agree and make it more ridiculous. Tell her Alex Jones is a plant to distract people from the real conspiracy. Pizza gate is a false flag to throw people like her off... Hilary is actually a reptilian!

Conspiracy types run on conflict and the feeling of having special knowledge. So just deny them that.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any good advice, but I just thought I'd say that the situation sounds awful and it's not a dumb thread since it sounds like your mom is not good for your own sanity and it doesn't sound like you have a strong support system. Hopefully others are able to offer suggestions for ways you can get other help or to help yourself get away from these unhealthy circumstances eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
I did a while ago but everything I found was at least 2 hours away from me because the government doesnt fund aboriginal majority areas very well. and yeah I receive my social security money directly into my bank account, but she has full control over my social security account because shes marked as my carer, so she can ring and cancel it whenever she wants which scares me because she is vindictive enough to maybe do it, I need to get that right taken away from her but I dont know what to do.

No offense taken, I have felt for a while she is too far gone with all of this.

I get social security and I used to have a nurse that would come visit me 3 times a week but my mum organised that and then cancelled it on me.
I did have a girlfriend at one point but..... yeah, didnt work out. She couldn't handle all the stress of my mother combined with my disabilities, my mother would always say horrible things about her and it ran her off.

Wow dude, this sounds awful. I'm so sorry for your situation, but you are not pathetic for needing to rely on someone else. Please don't ever think that.

I'm not Australian but I would recommend letting social services know that your carer is not mentally fit to be in control of your finances and seeing if you can get support from someone else. Maybe see if there are charities which support people with your condition or if you can go on a list for assisted housing?

Edit - not sure if this is a reasonable suggestion, but if you're going to go to social services and say your mother is mentally unfit to be your carer I think it will help to have evidence as she will probably just counter by saying you're unwell and you're not thinking straight and everything needs to stay the same. Thus, I think if you can film her behaviour saying these things a handful of times it would help your case. Like, can you hide your phone or a webcam somewhere and get her to go into a rant about big pharma or chemtrails or Hillary or whatever?

Edit 2 - and if you do this, send them the full video so she cannot be argued it's out of context or something like that.

I can't say I agree with this. Humouring her paranoia will probably only encourage her.

Last edited:

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I dealt with a similar situation about a decade ago, except that my disability issues are primarily mental. No family options and a crazy mother. I got out mostly by blind luck - donating plasma let me build up savings that my mother didn't know about, and the one relationship I've had/have in my life helped me get out and establish my first lease.

Granted, that lease quickly got broken for unrelated reasons (deteriorating car, workplace harassment, bed bug situation that I unknowingly brought with me that my younger brother didn't tell me about, that he got from one of his friends...), but I got engaged and bailed out of that situation by my wife's income tax refund.

If your situation is anything like mine, trying to reason with your mother is futile. Start doing what you can to break free, without letting her know until you're ready to act.

About 18 months ago, I finally broke fully free - I stopped contacting her for good. Last month, I moved and didn't tell her where I moved, so she can't track me down either. I needed to do it for my own mental sanity.