• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing comes to close to GoT's spectacle. Like, I'd say that cinematography and even production values are not the same thing as spectacle. Westworld has amazing production values, incredibly good looking sets, great cgi, just top quality all around, but does it have 1 hour long battle scenes? No. Does it have a dragon burning an entire city down? No.

I highly doubt that anything will even come close anytime soon.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed Rome, but to describe to it as "spectacle" would be a severe exaggeration. Pretty much every major battle is skipped entirely. You're usually lucky if you see some characters post battle with dirt and blood on their face. Think the Battle of the Whispering Woods in season 1 of Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Marco Polo was along the lines of early to middle GoT.

latest

Can't completely match pure spectacle but still had loads of it and equal production value

Last edited:

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GoT might not be matched in spectacle for some time. But there's lots of shows with great production value

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Watch Vikings. Far better than Game of Thrones. The last couple of seasons have struggled a bit, but the first seasons are masterful.
I shrug at those who recommend Vikings as 'better than Game of Thrones'. Vikings was good until Season 3, though never reaching the heights or world-building of GoT.
Then, it fell off a cliff, the last 2 seasons especially are hot garbage both writing-wise but also just plain boring with paper-thin characters and repetitive plot points that go nowhere (that Iceland subplot..!). GoT never went as bad as this.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Too many people sleep on Black Sails, it starts a little bit slow but it is a legit good show. Overall, it's better than GoT imo, and has a satisfying ending.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Black Sails is definitely the answer, but you need to ride out quite a slow (but still good) first season to get to the large-scale spectacle. Its two main characters are drawn in such detail by the end that everyone in GoT looks like a cardboard cutout.

Now, I consider Spartacus the best TV show ever made from a writing, plotting, and battle-staging point of view, and I think you'd like it. But fair waning: you also need to endure two average episodes and two frankly terrible ones before you get to the good stuff. You'll watch the first episode and think you're seeing The Asylum knocking off 300, but if you stick with it there's nothing else that can match it. Also it was made on a shoestring in comparison to GoT and Black Sails, so you're not getting anywhere near the CG and practical effects / sets you get in those shows.

Oct 25, 2017
Too many people sleep on Black Sails, it starts a little bit slow but it is a legit good show. Overall, it's better than GoT imo, and has a satisfying ending.
Honestly before I would have said it was close but as time goes on regardless of GoT's recent quality I found myself appreciating it more and more to the point i'd trade all my GoT enjoyment for 1 more season of Black Sails or successor.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If insane production values is what you want then you need to watch The Crown. It was just as expensive to make. Infact until season 8 GoT showed up The Crown was actually the most expensive TV show out there. It has CG but not as much, the cost is mostly put into location, the number of people and sets. It's basically an Epic on TV.

Last edited:

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Peaky Blinders is a good shout, smaller scale but they nail the art direction and the use of music is really good.

I've also heard good things about The Knick but don't think it's streaming anywhere.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Battlestar Galactica has the scale, if not the budget. The space combat holds up well and some of the set pieces are truly spectacular in the vein of Thrones (eg the exodus from New Caprica).

Star Trek Discovery is currently the best looking show I've ever seen outside of Thrones.
Imo The Expanse actually looks better than Discovery, and with Amazon money this season it has even higher potential.

Also in terms of pure cinematography and "look" I don't think anything beats The Crown.

Oct 25, 2017
Each episode of Game of Thrones cost around a hundred millions dollars to place, putting each episode at around 10 million dollars. There's nothing even remotely close among multi-season TV shows, and especially not any that lasted 8 seasons.
Marco Polo cost 8 or 9 million per episode and had 10 episode seasons so close but not completely.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Band of Brothers and The Pacific are pretty much movie quality productions but on the small screen.

If memory serves The Pacific cost around $200m for 10 episodes back in 2010. In terms of cost per episode even GoT doesn't come close to that.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of "wow look at all that money up there on the screen", then I think the first few times that happened for me would be watching Rome & the Pacific.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
LOTR is probably going to be amazing but they need to hire sapochnik to film the big battle scenes

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Imo The Expanse actually looks better than Discovery, and with Amazon money this season it has even higher potential.

Also in terms of pure cinematography and "look" I don't think anything beats The Crown.

Actually the Crown might be the most expensive. Up to $13 million per episode in season 2. $157 million per season. Game of thrones was only $6 by season 2 and had an increase for the final episode of the battle of blackwater bay.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Star trek discovery, with all its issues, has episodes that look higher budget than some movies I've seen recently

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Actually the Crown might be the most expensive. Up to $13 million per episode in season 2. $157 million per season. Game of thrones was only $6 by season 2 and had an increase for the final episode of the battle of blackwater bay.
GoT got up to $15 mil an episode this season. But it's all CG, Crown looks more expensive because it has grand af sets and tons of location shoots with some CG.

I have no doubt they'll spend even more for season 3 of The Crown.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Black Sails, has a satisfying ending too

One of my fondest hopes in life is that the crew of Black Sails gets back together in 15 years to do a full blown Treasure Island movie with all the relevant cast from BS in recurring roles.

Though it would be interesting to see them either gritty up what is essentially a kids book or tone down the BS level sex and violence.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
No, because some of the late GOT production value S6-8 battles are actually better than movies. So they didn't exist in television BGT (Before Game of Thrones).

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some miniseries maybe?

I honestly don't know how much you can you improve the production design of Band of Brothers other than making 6 Saving Private Ryan films.

Yeah my first thought was Rome but then I thought about Band of Brothers which is just an incredible spectacle. Only the one 'season' but was really incredible.

You'll love Rome though, as a lot of people mentioned the only disappointing aspect is how short it is.

I gotta check out Black Sails.

Oct 25, 2017
Marco Polo cost 8 or 9 million per episode and had 10 episode seasons so close but not completely.

And then it got cancelled early for being too expensive.

Big budget shows are playing with fire and prone to cancellation, unfortunately. Rome, Marco Polo are good examples. Game of Thrones is unusual with how long it lasted.

I know it will never get released, but it would be interesting to see a full plot of GoT budget vs season/episode, and the split between actor costs and production costs. Actors started getting paid more in the later seasons I believe, but production costs likely remained stagnant.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I am amazed at people saying Black Sails. My wife and I tried to get into a few weeks ago but couldn't get past 4-5 episodes. We literally said it felt like the poorman's GoT. Dialogue was cheezy, poor acting, forgettable sets and incredibly slow. So do things get a lot better?

edit - Just saw what Fatoy said above: "Black Sails is definitely the answer, but you need to ride out quite a slow (but still good) first season". We will have to keep powering through. We really wanted to like it.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean. Star trek shows don't have the budget but their effects and battles got pretty fuckin grand for TV when they went to CG (and before htey went to CG they're weren't as 'huge' but the models were always fucking amazing).

Discovery was EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE here. Way past voyager/ds9/etc

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I am amazed at people saying Black Sails. My wife and I tried to get into a few weeks ago but couldn't get past 4-5 episodes. We literally said it felt like the poorman's GoT. Dialogue was cheezy, poor acting, forgettable sets and incredibly slow. So do things get a lot better?

edit - Just saw what Fatoy said above: "Black Sails is definitely the answer, but you need to ride out quite a slow (but still good) first season". We will have to keep powering through. We really wanted to like it.

I'll never understand the criticism of Season 1, but I do agree it's worth it to try and stick it out. Season 2 is one of the best seasons of television out there.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

I prefer the way the space battles in The Expanse are, like, plotted out - it's much easier to follow what's happening; the battle at the spin station is particularly good - but The Expanse wishes it had Star Trek: Discovery's effects and set budget. Like, that final battle in season 2 had movie-level effects:

(The fidelity of the clip really doesn't do it justice, for anyone who hasn't seen the show.)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the way the space battles in The Expanse are, like, plotted out - it's much easier to follow what's happening; the battle at the spin station is particularly good - but The Expanse wishes it had Star Trek: Discovery's effects and set budget. Like, that final battle in season 2 had movie-level effects:

(The fidelity of the clip really doesn't do it justice, for anyone who hasn't seen the show.)

The thing is Star Trek does not have to bother with G forces and stuff when showing insides. And it doesn't really do a good job of making its battles readable nor does it make it look sensible (like enemies surrounding from 360 degrees but on only two axis...top and bottom is totally open)

The other thing being Expanse's story so far did not have anything that needed it to be as grand. Between all three factions they have a handful of ships and the most impressive looking ship dwarfs any other by a sizeable margin. But it will have a lot when it comes to grand things from next season onwards...and guess what you said Expanse wishes it had Star Trek's budget. Well it now has more....it has amazing budget :p

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is Star Trek does not have to bother with G forces and stuff when showing insides. And it doesn't really do a good job of making its battles readable nor does it make it look sensible (like enemies surrounding from 360 degrees but on only two axis...top and bottom is totally open)

The other thing being Expanse's story so far did not have anything that needed it to be as grand. But it will from next season onwards...and guess what you said Expanse wishes it had Star Trek's budget. Well it now has more....it has amazing budget :p
Right, but that's nothing to do with the production values--one's simply harder sci-fi than the other. (Well, sometimes; The Expanse has inertial dampeners and FTL too; humans just don't know how to make 'em yet.)

Also, I'd actually argue that Star Trek has historically had some of the most readable space battles--Discovery and the Kelvin Timeline movies are an exception to the rule. (And even then, Discovery has a fair few that are much more readable than the one in the clip.)

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Westworld is good in different ways, but I wouldn't put it in the "spectacle" class. A lot of people bailed on that show for being too slow paced and trippy. It's not for everyone.

Oct 25, 2017

It gets much better,

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I shrug at those who recommend Vikings as 'better than Game of Thrones'. Vikings was good until Season 3, though never reaching the heights or world-building of GoT.
Then, it fell off a cliff, the last 2 seasons especially are hot garbage both writing-wise but also just plain boring with paper-thin characters and repetitive plot points that go nowhere (that Iceland subplot..!). GoT never went as bad as this.

And... I said the first seasons are masterful, and last couple not ao much. What's your point?

I've been very bored through most of GoT. It's been 1-2 great episodes per season, and 8 boring slogs. I don't give a shit about world building if I'm not entertained.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I haven't watched it myself, but from what I understand, Xavier: Renegade Angel is breathtakingly gorgeous.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Westworld is the only other show I can think of with high production value

Oct 27, 2017
Sense8 had an insane per-episode budget, and that money was spent mostly on extensive location shooting all over the world. No other show has done anything like it, and I doubt anyone else will try for a long time.