• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It is indeed.

Or Montgomery from Fame if you're old enough!

grSNkeH.jpg
Holy crap!

He made a career out of getting hit by stuff.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Rome was close, but I'd imagine it'd seem like a STARZ show today in comparison to new stuff. Rome was a great fucking show, I wish that Game of Thrones had been out before it to prove that an expensive show could pay off.

Westworld has really good production value today, too. But it's not like... a spectacle like GoT is.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Westworld comes to mind, it's probably a level or two below but it still looks the part, it's a pretty divisive show in terms of enjoyment though.

dudefriend

Banned
Apr 27, 2019
Rome was close, but I'd imagine it'd seem like a STARZ show today in comparison to new stuff. Rome was a great fucking show, I wish that Game of Thrones had been out before it to prove that an expensive show could pay off.

Westworld has really good production value today, too. But it's not like... a spectacle like GoT is.
Rome is truly a cut above schlocky Starz type stuff and network TV because the writing, performances and set and costume design contribute to a sense of verisimilitude that's really not been paralleled by anything other than perhaps deadwood. Rome is better than thrones by a wide margin

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
For those saying nasty thing about Starz, I'm surprised. Isn't American Gods a Starz production? There's nothing wrong with that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Rome is truly a cut above schlocky Starz type stuff and network TV because the writing, performances and set and costume design contribute to a sense of verisimilitude that's really not been paralleled by anything other than perhaps deadwood. Rome is better than thrones by a wide margin

I *loved* Rome when it came out, one of my favorite shows ever and I used to consider it as good as The SOpranos and The Wire, which I was watching all aorund that time... but... I'm fearful of watching it again because I feel like the last ~20 years of insane TV budgets will make it feel cheesy.

dudefriend

Banned
Apr 27, 2019
I *loved* Rome when it came out, one of my favorite shows ever and I used to consider it as good as The SOpranos and The Wire, which I was watching all aorund that time... but... I'm fearful of watching it again because I feel like the last ~20 years of insane TV budgets will make it feel cheesy.
It's a subjective thing at the end of the day, but I really feel that the budget and set design is used in subtle ways that make the world feel more lived in - e.g. a forum teeming with slaves and merchants, and interiror villa scenes where people plot treacheries. Less so with dragons and battle scenes with thousands of extras. Definitely a subjective thing though!

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Damn you all have got me wanting to dive into Black Sails now. I think the next two years are going to have a glut of high production value shows which will be great.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, I am amazed at people saying Black Sails. My wife and I tried to get into a few weeks ago but couldn't get past 4-5 episodes. We literally said it felt like the poorman's GoT. Dialogue was cheezy, poor acting, forgettable sets and incredibly slow. So do things get a lot better?

edit - Just saw what Fatoy said above: "Black Sails is definitely the answer, but you need to ride out quite a slow (but still good) first season". We will have to keep powering through. We really wanted to like it.
From memory, episode 4 of season 1 is where it starts to pickup and from there it's just a constant increase in quality episode after episode until the end.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rome
The Last Kingdom
Black Sails

All impressive "period" pieces in their own right.

Spectacle is the second biggest thing that killed GoT for me.

They literally lost the plot partly because of their obsession with just being the biggest and most ridiculous show on TV. Post S4 it seemed each season was just about building up to some insane set piece.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rome
The Last Kingdom
Black Sails

All impressive "period" pieces in their own right.

They literally lost the plot partly because of their obsession with just being the biggest and most ridiculous show on TV. Post S4 it seemed each season was just building up to some insane set piece.
They saw the popularity of Hardhome and decided to repeat it over and over again.
Pretty sure that episode also cemented "The North" as Medieval Walking Dead with Season 5 onwards.
In episode 1 "The Others" didn't seem like brainless zombies, but more possessed, and a lot more mystic and scary.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
If you only care how gorgeous it looks, then Star Trek Discovery. They really are spending money with all the special effects in that series.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
There was a recent War & Peace series, and that had obscene production values.
It's a bit of a dry story otherwise though...

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Rome is one of the greatest shows of all time. What's the purpose of spectacle if there's no thought behind it?