• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Haha alright - I thought it might have been, because it has been a little bit obscure.

So what actually changes in the game now? Shall I go through every area again and see if I can detect some new changes? I already found a freakin' difficult hunter to the cathedral and I can't warp into it anymore. Is there more of that stuff throughout the game?

The game is divided in 3 part, the evening (when you start), the night and the pale blood moon. it doesn't really change much except you can now see stuff you couldn't before and serve as important step for the different quest.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Haha alright - I thought it might have been, because it has been a little bit obscure.

So what actually changes in the game now? Shall I go through every area again and see if I can detect some new changes? I already found a freakin' difficult hunter to the cathedral and I can't warp into it anymore. Is there more of that stuff throughout the game?

It doesn't change much in terms of added stuff in the old areas, it just marks that you're at the final stage of the game. Some side quests you might have missed are now locked and some can be finished now.
Btw, do you have the Tonsil stone?

Sometimes you can't warp to some lamps if there is a specific enemy there. The hunter in the cathedral is one of the most difficult enemies in the game, have fun.

Beyond that, continue through the Yahargul. You may find the Upper Cathedral Ward key there which unlock some optional stuff.

OP
OP
KayMote

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks everyone - this really helps to get a perspective in terms of the progress of the game.

As for the Tonsil stone - yeah, I already have it and already beaten Amygdala.

So, I just finished Yahargul and reentered the Lecture Building on the 2nd floor - it seems like from now there is only one path left: Nightmare of Mensis. Could anybody comment how far I am from beating the game? Because I don't wanna just stumble into the final boss (no idea if you can simply stumble into it) if there's still some stuff to do. For example I haven't done any Chalice dungeon, yet. Should I try them out now or can I tackle them directly after finishing the game in NG+ ?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Just one personal advice:

Don't get tunnelvision and try to force shit

I always had the biggest problems in Soulsborne games when I tried to force things.
Running up to a boss again and again for hours is often counterproductive.
IMO it's best to step away, sleep and try again the next day.
More often than not, I beat the boss in my first try after a break.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Thanks everyone - this really helps to get a perspective in terms of the progress of the game.

So, I just finished Yahargul and reentered the Lecture Building on the 2nd floor - it seems like from now there is only one path left: Nightmare of Mensis. Could anybody comment how far I am from beating the game? Because I don't wanna just stumble into the final boss (no idea if you can simply stumble into it) if there's still some stuff to do. For example I haven't done any Chalice dungeon, yet. Should I try them out now or can I tackle them directly after finishing the game in NG+ ?

Chalice dungeon can be beaten in your subsequent playthrough; they're the only thing in Bloodborne that persists between playthrough, they don't change. However you should delve into DLCs first if you haven't, the DLCs in NG+ is at a magnitude higher in terms of difficulty compared to NG, unless you enjoy fighting against dudes with inflated stats, hahaha. Also, make sure to get important items that you can get only a set limit of times in playthrough, like Blood Rocks.

Off the top of my head I think you can only get two blood rocks per playthrough, one in the main game and one in the DLC. And four or five more in Chalice, but you need to seek specific Chalice for these

Also, Nightmare of Mensis.... well, it's the last area of for the main game before the boss that can be your final boss... or the actual final boss, or the actual final final boss, depending on how you choose to do things, hahaha.

Last edited:

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

Do you use a guide? There's one optional area that's easily missed by many players, because it's hard to get there. It's one of the best areas of the game with an awesome boss fight.

I'am talking about Cainhurst castle

OP
OP
KayMote

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
No, I don't use a guide. So far I haven't found Cainhurst Castle - could somebody give me a hint, where to find it and if it is cryptic to find?

I got say that I really have trouble traversing through Nightmare of Mensis - enemies and hunters are tough, the spiders.... and I just have to outrun the enemies at the beginning, because it would have been just too stressfull for every attempt. LuckĂ­ly I finally found my first lamp.

Another question I have: throughout the game I usually just restarted with all my 20 vials, when I died. But now for some reason the used vials stay used and I have to buy new ones. This is kind of unusual since this never was a problem - what changed?

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I don't use a guide. So far I haven't found Cainhurst Castle - could somebody give me a hint, where to find it and if it is cryptic to find?

I got say that I really have trouble traversing through Nightmare of Mensis - enemies and hunters are tough, the spiders.... and I just have to outrun the enemies at the beginning, because it would have been just too stressfull for every attempt. LuckĂ­ly I finally found my first lamp.

Another question I have: throughout the game I usually just restarted with all my 20 vials, when I died. But now for some reason the used vials stay used and I have to buy new ones. This is kind of unusual since this never was a problem - what changed?
Vials: It sounds like you had extras in storage, and now you've run out. When you have more than the limit in your inventory, the extras will be put in storage. The next time you spawn with less than your max, the game will use the ones in storage to top you up to your limit. If you're out of stored vials, the game won't top you up. Time for a little blood vial grinding, unfortunately.

Nightmare of Mensis kinda blows. I haven't followed the thread and your progress but it's fine to run past most of that place.

Cainhurst: You must be invited. Search... clinically.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

About vials, what Kiyomi said above, but I would not suggest you grind unless you want to. Just purchase them with your blood echoes. You will soon reach an area where you can farm Blood Echoes effectively in great numbers, so just buy them.

Cainhurst.... well, hahah, it's kinda hard to tell you without exactly telling you. Just explore the beginning of the forest area, and stick to the left side.....

OP
OP
KayMote

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks a lot everyone! Seems like I haven't really understood the storage system - I didn't know that all my maxed out items would get stored, so thanks a lot for the explination! I have found a quick way to make around 11k of echoes in about a minute, so I made some tours and bought some extra vials that should probably carry me through till the rest of the game :)

As for Cainhurst - thanks! I will search through the forrest again then - it was my least favorite area of the game, so I kinda just rushed through and was glad, when I found the boss back then. Seems like I need to be a bit more thorough this time around.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks a lot everyone! Seems like I haven't really understood the storage system - I didn't know that all my maxed out items would get stored, so thanks a lot for the explination! I have found a quick way to make around 11k of echoes in about a minute, so I made some tours and bought some extra vials that should probably carry me through till the rest of the game :)

As for Cainhurst - thanks! I will search through the forrest again then - it was my least favorite area of the game, so I kinda just rushed through and was glad, when I found the boss back then. Seems like I need to be a bit more thorough this time around.

Search near the area with the dogs in cages.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, if I remember correctly this was not in the forrest area, but more in the beginning where all the guys would hang around in their houses, right?

Yeah, the dogs are earlier on, but explore near those of you haven't yet.

As for Cainhurst, it's fairly obscure to get to. There's a swampy area (I think it's poisonous swamp) in a sort of cave in the Forest. If you find that, you're on the right track in gaining access to Cainhurst.

OP
OP
KayMote

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks everyone again!
Let's just say I now got into the coach :D

Castle looks extremely impressive and intimitading!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So far I haven't.
I'm still contemplating whether I should download it or not.

If you like the game, it's like the main game but 10x better.

The only real problem is that some of the weapons in there require a build focused on them that you probably won't have on a standard playthrough, and because of the difficulty, it's recommended to do the DLC just before you hit end game on your first playthrough (so not NG+), so you'll only really get to use the new stuff in NG+.

Once you've played it and are familiar with it, you can access it fairly early in the game, so if you make a new character, you can rush to the DLC, and grab a weapon of your choice, then play the rest of the game with that.

Pimz

Jul 3, 2018
I just started playing a few days ago and I'm starting to fall in love now. I beat the first two bosses but it took me a lot of time to even get there... I've read a lot of tips online but ultimately it just comes down to keep trying. For me the one thing I have to keep saying to myself is DON'T PANIC. If I die it's mostly because I start panicking...

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
So far I haven't.
I'm still contemplating whether I should download it or not.

Get it. Bloodborne isn't complete without it, and many of Bloodborne's most challenging and incredible fights, not to mention revelations, is in the dlc. It added great weights to some of Bloodborne's most important characters. Extremely recommended. Not to mention the game's most amazing weapons are in the dlc too, well except the Threaded Cane of course, since no weapon is as cool as Threaded Cane.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I just started playing a few days ago and I'm starting to fall in love now. I beat the first two bosses but it took me a lot of time to even get there... I've read a lot of tips online but ultimately it just comes down to keep trying. For me the one thing I have to keep saying to myself is DON'T PANIC. If I die it's mostly because I start panicking...

Hahaha.

I still remember the first time I played the 1st mandatory boss in the game was really really tough for me. I yelled out and my body was shaking when I beat him.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This thread has got me re-downloading BB and I fired it up last night. I absolutely LOVED the game, got all the Trophies etc and adored the fabulous expansion. Think I'll venture into NG+, or maybe... start a new character :)

OP
OP
KayMote

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks everyone for suggesting to get the DLC - unfortunately, I can't really spend much money for videogames, so I'll have to pass for now. I guess I will return on some NG+ data and maybe it will be an even greater achievement to beat the DLC bosses in NG+, once I mastered the game (because as for right now, I will definitely play through the game a few more couple of times!).

A question: so apparently as someone here mentioned I'm in the last area of the game right now. Could somebody give me a hint for the location of the item that you need to upgrade your weapon for the last time (Blood Rock?). Since you can get it only once a playthrough I would like to collect it, before reaching the final boss (I guess after the final boss you can save and start a NG+ file or can you return to your last save before the boss?).

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone for suggesting to get the DLC - unfortunately, I can't really spend much money for videogames, so I'll have to pass for now. I guess I will return on some NG+ data and maybe it will be an even greater achievement to beat the DLC bosses in NG+, once I mastered the game (because as for right now, I will definitely play through the game a few more couple of times!).

A question: so apparently as someone here mentioned I'm in the last area of the game right now. Could somebody give me a hint for the location of the item that you need to upgrade your weapon for the last time (Blood Rock?). Since you can get it only once a playthrough I would like to collect it, before reaching the final boss (I guess after the final boss you can save and start a NG+ file or can you return to your last save before the boss?).

You see the thing that glows in nightmare of mensis ? It's there.

After the final boss you go directly to ng+

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly. Close this thread and go in 100% blind as if the game was just released.

Not even kidding.

OP
OP
KayMote

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks! Finally found the Blood Rock (rather obscure place, but nevermind) and it was chore to get through - I was getting constantly killed because of the enemies that made me enter frenzy mode. But right now I finally maxed out my axe, so I'm pretty happy! :) Does the obscure eyeball from the cutscene have any more meaning? I jumped into the whole where it disappeared and constantly died, so I guess you can't follow it.

Also, I guess I should be near the very end now! Maybe I'll finish the game tomorrow :)

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
you can also buy blood rock in the second shop in the hunter's dream.

there is a way to go see him and there's something to do with it.

If you don't know what to do then go to the choir. (As it seems you missed an optional area)

OP
OP
KayMote

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
It's done people, it's done! I just finished the last boss (astoundingly on my first attempt with only one vile left - but, I guess that's not too surprising, since I maxed out my axe and I already reached Level 90). So now I can proudly say that I've beaten my first Souls game! :)

Thanks everybody for your sincere help! I have to admit that I just looked up how to get into the choir and how to reach the eyeball monster, since I wanted to finally beat the game and because it is already 3 AM here right now, but that was pretty much the only thing that I blatantly looked up - apart from asking for some specific hints here.

I guess I haven't missed too many optional areas on my first playthrough, although there got to be a few more sidequests that I still need to tackle. So for my second playthrough I will probably just use a 100% guide to make sure to get everything what this game has to offer. Is this easy to get a Platinum Trophy? Or do I have to do some grindy shit like max out every single weapon or something like that?

So some questions to the NG+ : is there a max level? Because I have already reached level 90 - is there a level cap at 99? So far I don't get the feel that enemies are stronger compared to my first playthrough (they need around the same amount of hits as at my first playthrough). Also any suggestions how to keep things fresh on consecutive playthroughs? I've heard a lot about certain Arcane sets that might be fun to use, but since I didn't improve any Arcane stats I might to use a completely new character, right?

Anyway, thanks for keeping up with me. What a truly great game! :)

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
It's done people, it's done! I just finished the last boss (astoundingly on my first attempt with only one vile left - but, I guess that's not too surprising, since I maxed out my axe and I already reached Level 90). So now I can proudly say that I've beaten my first Souls game! :)

Thanks everybody for your sincere help! I have to admit that I just looked up how to get into the choir and how to reach the eyeball monster, since I wanted to finally beat the game and because it is already 3 AM here right now, but that was pretty much the only thing that I blatantly looked up - apart from asking for some specific hints here.

I guess I haven't missed too many optional areas on my first playthrough, although there got to be a few more sidequests that I still need to tackle. So for my second playthrough I will probably just use a 100% guide to make sure to get everything what this game has to offer. Is this easy to get a Platinum Trophy? Or do I have to do some grindy shit like max out every single weapon or something like that?

So some questions to the NG+ : is there a max level? Because I have already reached level 90 - is there a level cap at 99? So far I don't get the feel that enemies are stronger compared to my first playthrough (they need around the same amount of hits as at my first playthrough). Also any suggestions how to keep things fresh on consecutive playthroughs? I've heard a lot about certain Arcane sets that might be fun to use, but since I didn't improve any Arcane stats I might to use a completely new character, right?

Congrats. Once you get into these games, there's not much else that compares to them. Definitely give all of the other Souls games a try when you have the funds. They're all fantastic experiences

Nov 4, 2017

Which final boss are you referring to?

I think I'm about level 250 something on my main toon, have been through a few NG+ cycles (I think I'm on NG+4, haven't played that character for ages). If you're already level 90, NG+ shouldn't be too big a leap for you. The bosses have a fair bit more HP in NG+, so fights can be hard by taking longer. I think the max level is over 500, but levels stop giving you much benefit long before then due to the hard caps etc.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Well done. The dlc is on big sale starting tomorrow. Unfortunately now you're on NG+ you have to deal with the asinine way they implemented it. You can't just start playing it, no that would be too obvious, instead you have to advance far enough into the game to unlock it. But then you'll probably find it a hell of a challenge in NG+ and at your level.

For the Plat you'll need to do a lot of the chalice dungeons, which are fun. You can also find glyph codes to enter for dungeons which have great loot, like an Uncanny Burial Blade, etc.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Aww man, what? I liked the Cane Whip.

Mind you, I think I've only beaten the first boss and I haven't played much of the game past that, so I might not be the best person to ask about Bloodborne.
It doesn't scale very well, has short range and low damage and its really slow for its damage transformed

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
In the first section of the game, make damn sure you unlock the shortcut near the bridge. That portion of the game can be a real bitch if you have to run though all the enemies near the massive bonfire every time.

In general, always been on the lookout for shortcuts. That make the game so much less frustrating.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017

Congratulations ! You've been quite fast.

The platinum trophy requires you to finish the games 3 times (but you can cheat by backing up your save on the cloud or USB) and to kill a specific boss in the chalice dungeon, you can find a guide for it.

There's not really a max level but each stat has a soft lock where every subsequent raise will have little effect, it's offend around the 50 mark, it is often advised to not go beyond that as it's not worth it. So at some point you should have a character viable for any build.
The difference will be more clear with the bosses.
IIRC the arcane build has something to do with the stuff you get in the DLC.
Just choose a new weapon; my first playthrough was with the kirkhammer and I loved it but the choice is yours

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats on beating it! Now go back through and see what you missed lol.

I've heard a lot about certain Arcane sets that might be fun to use, but since I didn't improve any Arcane stats I might to use a completely new character, right?

Arcane basically requires the DLC, as all the fun arcane stuff is in that. You can get some use out of the arcane tools in the base game, such as one that makes you turn into mist when you dodge, for example.

As for unique builds, the most unique one in the base game is probably the weapon you get from a hidden area after the Cainhurst boss, which scales with skill and bloodtinge. There's also a gimmicky weapon which is a ton of fun found in an area that I'm still not sure you discovered
Old Yharnam, from the hunter on the gun turret. You can kill him right near the start of the game as soon as you get there, or deal with his quest later on, after Rom.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
For the arcane build you could put elemental gem on your weapon, the elemental damage scale with arcane.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I found the fact that Bloodborne was supposed to be really hard to be very comforting while I played. When I sucked at Bloodborne, (and I sucked at Bloodborne,) it was okay, because Bloodborne is one of those games where you are SUPPOSED to die a lot.

Kind of took the pressure off, know what I mean?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
As for unique builds, the most unique one in the base game is probably the weapon you get from a hidden area after the Cainhurst boss, which scales with skill and bloodtinge. There's also a gimmicky weapon which is a ton of fun found in an area that I'm still not sure you discovered [Old Yharnam hunter]
Which ones do you mean? I'm sure I collected all weapons, I don't remember which came from there.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Which ones do you mean? I'm sure I collected all weapons, I don't remember which came from there.

You get chikage from Cainhurst: wear the crown that Logarius drops, go through the secret passage in his boss room, then join the vileblood covenant, and you'll get the badge to purchase it. For the one you get from Djura, it's the pile bunker, is it called the stake driver?. Again, you get a badge from him if you kill him or speak to him when you go through the back way, after Rom.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
^ Thanks. Yeah I have them, I have the Plat, never used them. I'm not sure how they could improve this design, but an issue with the games difficulty and weapon upgrades is it discourages much experimenting with weapons. I doubt too many people are swapping their level 10 weapon for a level 1, and it's so expensive to upgrade a weapon that it may prevent you upgrading a different weapon later.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, a lot of the weapons are NG+ only. I kinda wished weapons and armour were saved to your profile, and when you start NG, you can choose whether to import weapons and armour.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Chalice dungeons are a good place to switch and practice with weapons. After completing the game I was way overleveled for Layer 1 and 2 so I took the chance to experiment with some low level weapons. As for the upgrades, Chunks are the only ones that are somewhat more difficult to find. Shards and Twin Shards can be bought with echoes, and I bought a lot of Blood Rocks with insight. By the end of third playthrough, I had found or bought 11 Rocks (none from Chalices).

Anyway, good luck with DLC. I also played it for the first time in NG+ and it was brutal. Laurence is the most difficult boss in the game.