• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Hey guys,
I'm about to jump right into Bloodborne and to be honest: after all I've heard about it I feel pretty intimidated. This will be the very first FromSoftware game that I will be actively playing, so I have basically no experience whatsoever with this kind of game system.

So, before I mess something up I just wanted to ask you guys: Without giving too much away can you give me some advice that might help me to have an overall more pleasant experience and to avoid unnecessary frustration (obviously apart from the fact that I will be probably dying a lot, but I already accepted this as part of the game's DNA)?
It could be anything: (hidden) techniques in combat that I should master as fast as possible, overall controls, elements in the environment that I should look out for, how to approach this gigantic world overall, how to slowly make progress, some special places (for example where you have good opportunities to grind etc.) and so on...

I have always been under the impression that not jumping into the game completely blind violates some sort of gaming code of honor and that's probably one of the reasons I feel so intimidated by this game, but on the other hand I've already encountered enough people that played through the Souls game only by using a Wiki and walkthrough. Some people have told me that even if I occasionally ask about certain points of progress there will be still tons of things left to explore by yourself.

Still, I'm looking for every friendly piece of advice! :)

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Choose the axe as a starting weapon if you want the game to be easier. It's fun to use and fairly op.

Also learn to parry. It's hard, but once you get it you can destroy many enemies and bosses.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Use Invinicbility frames like mad. Offense is the best defense in bloodborne. Always try and sneak in healing mid battle when you can
When starting with a boss, dodge and look for there attacks. And remember that dying doesnt mean giving up.

Explore the world as much as you can, allocate points into health and stamina mainly. Id recommend using the saw blade on your first go.

Also remember some bosses are optional, so if your super stuck, go theough a different path and get some more upgrades and then come back

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I would absolutely go in 100% blind just start it up and see where this amazing game takes you.

My one piece of advice is: Kirkhammer. Use it, love it..

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Most weapons scale from strength or skill or both, so you'll rarely go wrong with leveling up those.

The very first area of the game is built in a way that it will feel harder than a lot of the rest of the game, so don't give up, the first wall is just a bit higher than it should, after you kill the first [plot] boss, the game will feel easier without losing it's challenge.

Also, this game rewards exploration immensely so be sure to explore every nook and cranny.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Be aggressive. It took me twenty hours in the starting zone - and giving up twice - to learn this.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Honestly, just jump right in. The best advice is that you will die a ton in the beginning, and that is 100% fine. The game is all about dying and learning. You don't lose the items you pick up, ever. You only lose the blood echoes, which you will end up realizing are super easy to get whenever you need them. In other words, dying isn't really a big deal, it's a big part of the game so don't get upset. Eventually, it will all just click and you'll fall in love. The end.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't use the threaded cane your first time through. Get lots of blood vials. Spend your first few levels of blood echoes on hp and weapon upgrades rather than trying to get more damage from stats.

The beginning of the game is for the most part harder than the end because you can't take as many hits, but when you get more powerful it's probably the easiest in the series barring arguably Dark Souls 1.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
Ludwig's Holy Blade can last you the whole game, but so can every weapon but that was one of the more popular weapons. That's like 15% of the way in though right? I forgot. Also the first few hours are probably the hardest just because you have to learn how to play. After that even though areas will technically be harder you're going to have a much better strategy going in. For me at least

Last edited:

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
The first area will probably be very, very frustrating for a little while. Just take your time, remember to fight smart but aggressive, and persevere. Paradoxically, once you push through the opening hump the game gets easier and you'll find yourself making regular progress. That's when the game gets its hooks into you. But it does make you work to get there.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Dont blindly rush through the levels, or else you'll get ambushed and likely die. Dont mash and spam attacks during battles or you'll definitely die. Take the time to explore, you'll likely find useful items and shortcuts.

Also, always use your remaining blood echoes to buy healing items after you level up, so you'll never run out of them.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Dont be afraid of calling a friend in game.

Take your time to understand your controls and specially the timing and range of your attack and dodges

Play YOUR way, dont let anybody tells you there is "one build" or "one weapon". Experiment, have fun with it.

Don't get to hung up on death, it will happen. If you get too frustrated, take some time, then comeback to it.

There is at least ONE area of the game that is misseable ( the Castle ) so if you don't want to miss out on it, let people know so they can direct you without spoilers

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Level VIT first till you feel comfortable, level weapons instead of stats at first.

Oil Urn and Molotovs are your friends in the starting area and first bosses, they are very weak to fire.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
My only advice is to enjoy one of the greatest games ever made (Top 5 or Top 10 depending on how I feel that day)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Serrated weapons like the Saw Cleaver, Saw Spear and Threaded Cane get a 20% bonus to damage against Beast-type enemies like Werewolves.

Your gun is used like the parry in Dark Souls; shoot at enemies at the right time to stun them and leave them open for a Visceral Attack. (I can't remember if the game ever explains this)

Your weapons do more damage depending on their letter ranking and how you allocate your stats. You won't really be able to use every weapon you come across.

All weapons are viable in this game. You can go the entire game with your starting weapon if you feel like it.

Gear is more for their stat resistances than raw defense. The name of the game is not getting hit, period.

If you're having a particularly hard time of things, just run through.

Explore! Your starting armor sucks so replace it before you get into any real fights.

Jul 20, 2018
Always buy Blood Vials (healing item) and bullets with your extra Blood Echoes (exp/currency) after levelling up. It'll save you a lot of time farming if you get stuck.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Learn how to backstep. Learn how to backstep. Learn how to backstep.

Rolling is good and all, but backstepping will save your life multiple times throughout the game while capitalizing on offensive chances.

Secondly, learn how to measure distances for attacks and backsteps. Even though this is something you pick up intuitively as you play, it doesn't hurt to get familiar with how your weapon and hunter moves.

Parrying isn't essential to learn but it will make your time playing significantly less difficult. Learn how to get the timing right by using the shotgun to assess rhythym and then branching out.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you beat the final boss, the game automatically dumps you into New Game+ and you can't go back. Make sure to do a wide sweep (beat any side bosses, complete DLC, etc.) before finishing the game unless you don't mind missing some things or playing the game again.
EDIT: And ignore the people who say that the game isn't as difficult as people say it is. It's hard, especially if it's the first type of these games you've played. There were multiple bosses I got stuck on for hours, but I powered through!

Oh, and another thing: There's (almost) always another way to go. If you're stuck on a boss, search around, see if you can find another.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Just go in blind and look up advice if you ever feel the need to do so on particular mechanics or areas as you progress. It's a challenging game but not insurmountable by any means. The only thing I would recommend considering is swapping the L1 and Circle button assignments in the PS4 accessibility menu, it takes a moment to get used to hitting L1 to exit menus but otherwise I find it preferable to the default control scheme. It's not necessary though.

Have fun.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be discouraged if the first area of the game takes you many, many hours to complete. That's normal for most players.

Enjoy the best game of this generation.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'd recommend this OT for the game. It was updated for when PS+ users got bloodborne a few months ago. I and a lot of others have a lot of tips on there that got tagged in the OP,

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bloodborne-ot-grant-them-eyes.26864/

For this post, grab the axe as your starter weapon. It's heavy charge in long handle mode is godlike. When you first go to the dream, there will be some puddles of bubbly stuff you can interact with. These let you choose your starter weapon, gun, and other stuff you'll need. That place btw will be your hub to upgrade and stuff. As for leveling up, I'd recommend not paying attention to Arcane or blood-tinge on a first playthrough.

Good luck OP, it's a great game. Also, don't feel like you need to play this game without some sort of help on the side. Sometimes these games don't explain everything well, and you shouldn't feel bad about looking it up. I would recommend not looking up story or characters until after a playthrough though, but that's just me.

Don't mash. Don't be greedy. Don't be overconfident. Be observant. Be patient.

Yep, don't be this guy OP...
D6z0RZF.gif

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
be aware attack buttons are on triggers/bumpers, this was something that my muscle memory couldn't deal after more hours at first, since any other action game I play usually face buttons have the attacks, so I ended swinging the blades when I wanted to just dodge something

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You don't have to kill anything other than bosses. If you are having problems with enemies, don't hesitate to just run past them.

That does not mean that you shouldn't kill enemies. By all means take your time and explore levels slowly. But know that the option of running past hard enemies (or mobs of enemies) is there. Use it to your advantage.

Look for shortcuts. Most areas have just one lamp (which is your respawn point after you die or fast travel), but most levels are designed to loop around themselves connecting several parts of a level to that lamp. If you ever see a door or gate that says "does not open from this side" that's a shortcut. Shortcuts are invaluable as they make running back to bosses pretty painless (and you'll be running back to bosses quite a bit)

Unlike most games, all weapons are viable. Pick a weapon you like and upgrade it. Spin to win though (as in, the hunter's axe is pretty good!)

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get greedy with attacks.

Roll towards the enemy to defend. Don't roll away, you'll get hit.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The best advice I can give as a fellow scaredy cat is to just take it slow when it comes to exploring new areas. Don't rush in, look around and make sure there's no ambushes coming.

And most important-don't be discouraged by dying. It's literally part of the game and it will happen. You just take it as a learning experience.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Don't be afraid to watch YouTube walkthrough after first 4 hours of playing it, if you're still stuck in the first area.

Also, running away from enemies is a viable option.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Also, don't be afraid of getting lost. From Software games are very good at letting the player run loose, which can be intimidating for people used to more "guided" games. Just go where your curiosity takes you. The game has a ton of rabbit holes for you to go deep in them.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Dying a lot is normal. Whenever you get to a new area, run through it as far as possible until you die, opening any shortcuts you find. When you know what to expect it's easier to clear out the enemies and hold onto your blood echoes.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go around everywhere you may find some shortcuts here and there.

Use stones to isolate enemies.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Raise skill first. The best weapons scale with it and you get visceral attack bonus.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you go hours and have only seen one lantern/bonfire, don't panic.

As a new player don't expect to get ripostes down right away. You'll need some time to get used to the timing.

Don't dodge straight backward. Try to dodge around the enemy so you end up behind or to the side (unless the attacks are all sweeps instead of long reach)

Beasts hate fire

Always try and get back what health you can from attacks before popping blood vials.

Try and take care of everything in the general area before you proceed into some opulent building or area that looks like progression. There are events that lock side quests into place

If you miss something, don't worry. Get it during New Game +. The game is actually pretty short, progression wise

The beginning of the game is much harder than the end

Nov 4, 2017
+1 for fearing the old blood. ISHYGFTOB.

Sawspear + lots of dex will turn you into an unstoppable wall of stunlocking fury. Sawspear > all.

The first few hours where you are learning the game will be tough, but once it clicks and you take down the first boss, it gets fun. Father Gascoigne is basically a gate to make sure you've grasped the main aspects of the game (dodge, parry, control distance, time your attacks, learning attack patterns, timing your heals, being a cheesy fuck and finding the item that lets you cheese the boss). If you get stuck on him, there's some element of the game you haven't mastered yet. Check back and I'm sure people will help out

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially just keep at it. The game is a wonderful teacher.

Bloodeborne is rewarding intrinsically- when you learn how to get through an area you feel an accomplishment. When you beat your first boss you will feel a sense of accomplishment. When you get a third or halfway through the game you will feel you earned it.

After one boss you will say "I did that" then you will figure it out and when you finish the game there is a tremendous sense of pride because the game is very hard but it is very very fair.

And yes, it will feel easier as you play more.

I have never done a Dark Souls and I bought Bloodeborne on a whim. I told myself I'd probably give it up like I did Dark Souls and Demon Souls, but the setting and mechanics were just so well made I pushed through. I figured out the first area then the first boss and I really just gave it my all. I am not a person who plays difficult games- I like JRPGs, not platformers or rouguelikes so if I can do it (like, I find Dragon Quest XI hard) then you can.