delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
code.visualstudio.com

Visual Studio Code August 2021

Learn what is new in the Visual Studio Code August 2021 Release (1.60)

High performance bracket pair colorization#

The editor now supports native bracket pair colorization:

Side by side comparison with bracket pair colorization on and off

Bracket pair colorization can be enabled by setting "editor.bracketPairColorization.enabled": true. All colors are themeable and up to six colors can be configured.

We implemented this feature to address performance issues of the famous Bracket Pair Colorizer extension by CoenraadS.

Now, even changes in huge documents are reflected immediately:

Colorization of brackets at the top and bottom of a large file

I've been waiting for this for 2.5 long years. How young was I?? So pure, so innocent, so carefree, and so blissful back then. The performance issue back then was SUCH A HASSLE, you have no idea how painful it is to wait 2 minutes for a 42000+ lines long source file to be updated for a single pair of brackets to be updated with the right matching color. EACH!

FINALLY, we now have colorful brackets. Angled, curly, and squared, they are all now colorized with 6 different color variations we can choose from!

Anyone else excited?

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this is almost as exciting as the commodore PET 4000 having a base ram of 8kb with options to upgrade to 32kb right from the get go

denisqc

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just us8ng vscode for PowerShell scripts for work, but d8d not know that. Nice

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I have been using this extension for a while. I guess it's time to retire it?
marketplace.visualstudio.com

[Deprecated] Bracket Pair Colorizer 2 - Visual Studio Marketplace

Extension for Visual Studio Code - A customizable extension for colorizing matching brackets
Retire it. That extension hasn't been updated for 2 years since the prominent issue of the colorizing brackets engine being suboptimal and causing performance issues with VS Code back then.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit I'm just now realizing that no editor I've ever used has had this. What the actual hell? It seems so obvious and useful but the OP is literally the first time I've seen this.

Lamiafusion

Nov 24, 2017
code.visualstudio.com

Visual Studio Code August 2021

Learn what is new in the Visual Studio Code August 2021 Release (1.60)

I've been waiting for this for 2.5 long years. How young was I?? So pure, so innocent, so carefree, and so blissful back then. The performance issue back then was SUCH A HASSLE, you have no idea how painful it is to wait 2 minutes for a 42000+ lines long source file to be updated for a single pair of brackets to be updated with the right matching color. EACH!

FINALLY, we now have colorful brackets. Angled, curly, and squared, they are all now colorized with 6 different color variations we can choose from!

Anyone else excited?

oh babyyyy

denisqc

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
also autodetect language for occasional users is fine :)
no longer have to save my file first as powershell or any other language, i can just create a new tab and paste my code already :)

George c

Dec 1, 2017
Ugh this is cool and I wish I could be happy about this but I spent my whole work day trying to figure out why I can't copy/paste files using Remote SSH. 😡

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm so set in my ways I'm using notepad++. I've had VS code as my primary editor in my mental backlog for over a year.

That does seem like an improvement.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
Didn't know I needed this, now I'm going to be bummed with every ide I use that doesn't have this

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
More folks need to know about this. Please share with anyone you come across, either at work, at home, or your colleagues, when you can. It's just too useful to not share.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Jul 7, 2021
Neat! I noticed the update notification so I should be good to turn this on tomorrow. First thing I will do before starting my day. Thanks OP!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Does this work on tabs? And does it have performance issues like the Bracket Pair Colorizer 2 extension, unlike the native built-in solution that was in version 1.60 update?
I've been using ident rainbow for about a year and haven't noticed performance issues, but I also make it a habit to stay away from files more than a few hundred lines long.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
I tried the Rainbow Bracket plugin for Android Studio and didn't really care for it. I find all the colors distracting.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Does this work on tabs? And does it have performance issues like the Bracket Pair Colorizer 2 extension, unlike the native built-in solution that was in version 1.60 update?

It's worked well for me, I haven't had any performance issues with it. But the files I'm working with are usually < 1000 lines long.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's worked well for me, I haven't had any performance issues with it. But the files I'm working with are usually < 1000 lines long.
I've been using ident rainbow for about a year and haven't noticed performance issues, but I also make it a habit to stay away from files more than a few hundred lines long.
It's unfortunate then. I am currently working on a very large, monolithic source repository, where plenty of files are more than 1000 lines long. And we don't use Python (or any languages that uses indentations to denote the code scopes) at work for the most part.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
awesome! it's a feature I've always wanted but never bother to play around with all the plugins. Having it natively now is a godsend

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent update. VS Code is so good (and getting better all the time), sometimes I wonder if it's really a Microsoft product.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Been using the Bracket Pair Colorizer extension for years, didn't really notice any performance issues. Guess I my files are never long enough to get to that point.

Glad to have a 'native' option though.