• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Just wait until you hear about the Bechdel test, OP.

The Bechdel test ... is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women must be named is sometimes added.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Many authors aren't so much writing a believable story, they're writing wish fulfilment and it only gets more blatant the more you're exposed to it. Sometimes its so bad you can almost feel the writer/director standing over your shoulder while you consume media (and maybe a producer standing behind them with a gun).

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
In Final Fantasy games, they tend to avoid this trope by having exactly three women instead:
- The main woman (usually protagonist's love interest)
- The "older" woman
- The younger girl
FFV is interesting in that at first, they present it as if you have three guys and one woman, but one of the "guys" is quickly revealed as a woman in disguise (with plenty of room to interpret as NB). Later, one of the guys is replaced by a girl, so there's just one man. The story treats them as all equally important, with no real leader. Also, no romance subplots whatsoever.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
In Final Fantasy games, they tend to avoid this trope by having exactly three women instead:
- The "older" woman
- The younger girl
I started counting all the rosters from ff4-ff15 in my head and holy shit you're right. I can't unsee it now. Even 15 which doesn't have a playable woman still has that pattern. My god

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
- The "older" woman
- The younger girl

200.gif

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Not a game, but I've been rewatcing a bunch of It's Always Sunny and haven't heard about the "Smurfette" thing until now... poor Sweet D.
Does it count in this case? Legit don't know

D has been written as a guy, since the first few episodes.
I mean it says something that when Kaitlin Olson auditioned, the part she was all excited about reading was for Dennis, because they hadn't even written or thought out Dee yet.

Similar with Elaine on Seinfeld - she was a late addition when developing the show and they were told to do it by someone else.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I think I realized this when I began playing JPRGs in the 90s, as these games usually have gender parity.

It's worth noting there's also another "funny" problem that comes with the trope, it's that in these teams, everyone has an ability, or a personality trait.

The woman character's ability or trait is "being a woman".

This is of course especially obvious with the Smurfs.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I think I realized this when I began playing JPRGs in the 90s, as these games usually have gender parity.

It's worth noting there's also another "funny" problem that comes with the trope, it's that in these teams, everyone has an ability, or a personality trait.

The woman character's ability or trait is "being a woman".

This is of course especially obvious with the Smurfs.
Aren't women in RPGs mostly healers or mages and men are mostly the fighter type ?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Aren't women in RPGs mostly healers or mages and men are mostly the fighter type ?
This is the original trope but it's often subverted.

FF7 has 3 women PCs if memory serves, one tank, one DPS, one healer.

And I could go on forever. Don't play DQs though. These games are usually the worst trope complying crap ever.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
This is the original trope but it's often subverted.

FF7 has 3 women PCs if memory serves, one tank, one DPS, one healer.

And I could go on forever. Don't play DQs though. These games are usually the worst trope complying crap ever.
Oh yeah true Tifa, Aerith and Yuffie you mean ?

oh yeah DQs are trope heaven. I certainly agree.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I had thought Bowser had 2 girls and 5 boys in Mario 3 but my brothers then told me Ludwig was a boy 😂

Wow I thought Ludwig was a girl too when I was a kid, I thought I was the only one

I always play as girls so I noticed this trend really young, like ok I'm just always playing Chun Li, Sonya, Princess Toadstool etc. I remember when Super SF2 added Cammy and it was like oh... I have a choice now!

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
That's definitely a trope, but calling it Smurfette Principle makes it sound way too scientific.

In 4 character cast, there's 1/5 chance of this. If developers want to diversify and avoid all male or all female cast (which is almost always the case), the probability rises to 1/3 of all such games. Does not sound like a very specific test.

Now I'd like to see a list of all AAA games with 4 character cast released in e.g. 3 years and if the percentage for single-female cast is actually higher than 33%.

Muaddib

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it says something that when Kaitlin Olson auditioned, the part she was all excited about reading was for Dennis, because they hadn't even written or thought out Dee yet.

Similar with Elaine on Seinfeld - she was a late addition when developing the show and they were told to do it by someone else.
yeah, I learned somewhere that the first few episodes had D written as a sensible counter part to the guys, a "female presence" and she hated it and threatened quitting. When the guys approached her they said they didn't know how to write for women, so she told them to write as a guy character anyways, that she was more interested if the part was written for the character, not the gender.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You get one woman, one asian guy and one black guy in your team. Those are their appearances and personalities.

One funny case is Final Fantasy 5 where you start with 3 male and 1 female characters in your party but then one character turns out to be a woman disguising herself as a man and another character dies off and is replaced with his daughter so by the end you've got your main character and three women.

Is... is Oil Man... blackface?
Flame Man is worse. It's a stage full of oil and he wears a turban.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
When I recently replayed Xenoblade Chronicles X, I made a female character unlike my original playthrough, and at some point I realized that (probably for the first time in an RPG) I had an all women team between my character, Elma and Lin.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I learned somewhere that the first few episodes had D written as a sensible counter part to the guys, a "female presence" and she hated it and threatened quitting. When the guys approached her they said they didn't know how to write for women, so she told them to write as a guy character anyways, that she was more interested if the part was written for the character, not the gender.
It's another parallel with Seinfeld, which had a "write Elaine as a guy" policy because the writers didn't feel comfortable writing a female lead. She was largely used to counterbalance the male characters, so she was used less for the meat of the comedy, which Julia Louis-Dreyfus had to plead with Larry David to change. At the very least, Larry and Jerry admit that the issues were their fault and that the changes were for the better.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
so strange to look at this now cause i was part of the exact same crowd crapping on her videos for being 'mean to videogames' or whatever back then
Have you watched the Angry Jack videos that I posted earlier?
www.resetera.com

I never realized how much video games uses the Smurfette Principle trope until today.

Innuendo Studios did a whole series on why gamers got so angry (Jack) when Anita introduced pretty simple concepts and criticisms to this industry. Videogames is a young immature industry that has been conditioned with sexism and bigotry for decades and it didn't help when Nintendo declared...

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Naruto did the same thing. Literally every 3 man cell had either one or no women. This also includes the villain organization, the Akatsuki. It wasn't until Team Samui were introduced in 2008, 9 years in, that the series got its first and only female majority team. The two women however also happened to get less screen time and battle time than the one dude.

Later on, we got introduced to all nine Jinchuuriki tailed beast hosts, which included a whole two women (although it has 9 "members". And Kishimoto wasn't originally sure if the 7-tails' host was gonna be male or female), and the rest of the five Kage, which also had two women. The five Kage had in the series lore only been male up until Tsunade, followed by the Mizukage. But in the epilogue, that number dropped to one. Also, there's only been at most one female Kage in each of the five great countries, namely the Hokage, Mizukage and the current Tsuchikage.

Resident Evil 2 is a rare reverse example -- Leon is the only playable male character in the game.

Not if you count Hunk.

But in terms of the main game, absolutely.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Genuine question: What happens if there's only one woman in the main cast, but the support cast is 70% woman characters?

I'm kinda curious, and it also affects me somehow

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit...yall are right. I can't unsee it now lmao! You know what, I can safely say the final fantasy games were ahead of their time with this for the most part. I can't think of one(other than the first) that only had 1 female character.