• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Bruce Wayne was afraid of bats, it's a phobia he had as a child. He latter overcame his fear of bats in order to become BATMAN, turning the fear he had as a child as a weapon against his enemies. We all know this. But why does Batman chill in a Batcave surrounded by bats? Yes, he's no longer afraid of bats, but just because he's no longer afraid of them doesn't mean he should want to spend his time in their presence 24/7. I hate spiders (like most sane people) yet even if I had eliminated any lingering fear I had of spiders I wouldn't want to spend time in a cave riddled with spiders and covered in their webs. I may not fear them, but I still wouldn't like them.

Let's go even more basic and compare this to food, let's say someone really hated eating broccoli due to some childish views of vegetables. But, they later force themselves to eat broccoli enough such that it's no longer this "yucky" food they'd never touch, but something they can respect as a decent vegetable to eat. Broccoli is no longer a food they "fear," they'll eat it when its presented to them no problem. However, if someone were to ask that person what they would like to eat, do you think their first choice would be broccoli? Of course not.

Yet Batman, as proof that he's an insane person, chooses to make his base of operations a Batcave filled with bats; creatures he once dreadfully feared. The only way this makes sense to me is that Batman actually loves bats now, he realizes the fear he had was silly but actually enjoys them now and thinks they're cool. Otherwise, Batman is never at ease when in the Batcave as he's surrounded by creatures he doesn't particularly like, even if he no longer fears them.

Does Batman love bats now or is he just an insane masochist?

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He needs somewhere to hide his shit, and his house happened to be on top of the perfect place for it. That actual bats live there is entirely incidental.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a visual representation of his willpower as he's literally living in his own fear. Constant exposure to bats probably helps him overcome it easier.

Dec 21, 2018
Fears don't always last forever. He fights extremely dangerous criminals and super-powered individuals, I doubt bats even phase him like they once did.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, comics Batman never had a phobia of bats. He just saw one crash through a window that inspires him to also crash through windows.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
People fear what they don't understand. If you get there's nothing to fear from bats it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Any non year-one version of the origin can jump up a rope.

I might be misremembering but isn't the only thing in there just "I will become a bat" and nothing about some phobia?

But yes, Batman is also completely out of his gourd by any normal standard.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought he found out about the cave and realized it would be perfect place to hide his shit. Then again the Batman I knew was different from the bat fearing batman you are talking about.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Batman/Bruce is not insane, that idea is just some edgelord nonsense. He's a superhero for crying out loud, he chills in the Batcave because he is Batman, trying to apply real world concerns to these things is a dead-end that eventually leads to Zack Snyder levels of bullshit.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure he was ever afraid of them (post boyhood), one crashed into his study and Bruce thought it was a sign for him.

0f556865df28a38d1c3e45a49d6d45b5.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Batman/Bruce is not insane, that idea is just some edgelord nonsense. He's a superhero for crying out loud, he chills in the Batcave because he is Batman, trying to apply real world concerns to these things is a dead-end that eventually leads to Zack Snyder levels of bullshit.
We've have this discussion before, hell a lot of the comics made in the last 20 years acknowledge him as being mentally ill.
---
Was he scared of bats in like a phobia sense or was it a bat freaked him out one time when he was a child.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Most sane people accept that spiders are little cute beings

ZaVDlIs.png

How can you hate those eyes.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Bruce fears bats and is also empowered by them. The Batcave provides a form of unrelenting masochistic exposure therapy that gives Batman a sexual charge like nothing else.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
I like working through pain from gotham knights, to show who Bruce is, he doesn't want to heal, but fight everything, maybe it's the same with bats, he always wanna fight his fears or something

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have you read The Killing Joke? It makes it pretty clear that Batman and Joker are both insane, just in their own ways.

Oct 27, 2017

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
As others have mentioned, classic Batman didn't really had that initial fear. And even if he had, we all know what his true core terror is: "failing" his parents; in other words, becoming unable to handle upcoming criminals.
So, regardless what origin story you take, you can easily understand why he has to relegate his "civil" life, to keep training and working on technological advancements to keep fulfilling his silent oat, without compromising his identity.

And he can only do that, away from the eyes of other people. On the cave.

But let's be honest: he needs to try his gadgets and chemical weaponry on living beings to confirm results. What better subjects, than essentially unlimited silent flying rats?

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
It's a prime location to house his stuff, traumatic childhood experiences be damned. Where else is he going to keep his robo T-Rex and giant penny?

latest

Oct 27, 2017
Also going by the dudes naming conventions (bat-mobile, bat-erang, bat-cow) how can we be sure it's even really a bat cave in the sense that it's a cave where bats live, or if it's just a cave which Batman uses and is thus rendered by him as a bat-cave, and the mother fucker just thought letting a bunch of bats loose in there would be good decoration.

Cause again the dude it's a fucking lunatic. I mean bat-cow? Really? What's next, he falls off the page and meets his writer and while the writer explains to him the reality of his existence the fucker just goes "I name you bat-author."

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Have you read The Killing Joke? It makes it pretty clear that Batman and Joker are both insane, just in their own ways.
Of course, and outside of the great artwork it is a whole bunch of nonsense.

There is only so much 'realism' you can attach to a character like Batman before you throw the whole of his character and the world he lives in into disarray. If Batman were insane then the whole of the DC universe would be insane as the things people latch onto to add 'psychological depth' to him are just basic superhero trappings.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went to the Omaha zoo the other week, which has several bat exhibits, and let me tell you - bats fucking STINK. Probably was a guano thing, but still, I'm sure that cave didn't smell too fresh either.