• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
(this has Sekiro spoilers if you still care about those)

I like FromSoftware games just fine. I'm not a crazy fanatic about them or anything, but they're fun. I've finished Dark Souls 1 and 3, with 3 being one of my favourite games of all time. I like Bloodborne but for whatever reason I bounce off of it relatively early every time I try to play (the furthest I've ever made it is Vicar Amelia which obviously is not very far). So when Sekiro was announced I was excited for it and bought it when it was released.

I played about 10 or so hours of Sekiro at launch at it's regular default difficulty. It took me awhile to click with the combat but I eventually did and was slowly progressing. I made it about a third of the way through before I fell off. While I 'got' the combat, I just didn't like it that much. I always played Souls games rolling around being active in combat without ever bothering to learn to parry, so to go to a game where parrying wasn't only overtly encouraged but integral to the way the game is played it wasn't really too appealing to me.

About I week ago I was on Nexus Mods getting some stuff for the first Witcher game and thought I would just look at the popular games to see what people were making and downloading mods for. I saw Sekiro had a fairly high download rate and browsed through the mods and saw that one of the top files was something called Sekiro The Easy with the description 'You can play the Sekiro happily.'

Here is a list of changes the mod makes:

- It does not die by Terror.
- Strong attack power, high defense strength, and stamina.
- High Drop item Rate.
- Weapon buff time increase.
- Infinite Spirit Emblem.
- Prevents Damage from falling.
- Infinite Time of Puppeteer Ninjustsu

In practice the thing that really makes the biggest differences are you do a lot of damage. Like A LOT of damage, making encounters faster and obviously easier. The other thing is that, when you're hit, your posture replenishes itself immediately while enemies' posture replenishes *very* slowly. Also you don't really spend spirit emblems when using prosthetic tools from what I could tell.

All of these changes obviously make the game much, much easier and, honestly, it's super fun! I'm not going to say that I had an equal experience to all of the people who got through the game as it was intended, but the difficulty didn't entirely rob me of what the Sekiro experience has to offer. It's significantly easier, but you still need to engage with the systems and strategies of the game. There are times when you still need to parry, you obviously will still need to lightening dodge and dodge in general. You're not invincible and, while I only died a handful of times, you can still definitely die.

It felt more like I was a tourist through the world of Sekiro, getting to not only see the locations but the enemies and bosses of that world. It was like playing Sekiro: The Ride.

Even though I still felt like I had to engage with the game's systems on some level, I still went a really, *really* long time without dying. The first time I died was in the second Guardian Ape fight because the second Ape that shows up in the second phase took me by surprise.

There was a thread recently called 'Sekiro's final boss is a magnificent test of will' with people discussing the difficulty and satisfaction of learning to get through the final boss encounter. I beat the final boss on my first time (though I came very close to dying) just sort of bumbling my way through. This is a video of my fight with him that I think displays how easy the easy mode makes it:

It's very obviously not the oppressive fight everyone else endured, but it's not like I just blindly mashed my way through it either.

When Sekiro was released the 'FromSoft games should have an easy mode' discourse spun up again. Especially because this game doesn't have any real online components. There's not co-op or invasions, so why *isn't* it there? After playing through the game with this mod I feel even more convinced that those modes *should* be there.

Sure my experience wasn't the experience that FromSoft intended, it wasn't the difficult experience that these games are known and loved for. My experience isn't entirely equal to others' I guess. But without this mode I just wouldn't have had that experience at all, and I'm glad that I did.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No mate, you're not allowed to enjoy it because somehow it compromises my experience and I think your experience is not genuine. lol.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Sekiro, but if there was an official easy mode I definitely would have. The game looks interesting to me - I'm just not a big fan of difficult games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
OP there's nothing wrong with that. It's one of the great things about PC that such mods can exist. Glad you enjoyed it. Sekiro would still be a great game even if much easier. It's also a beautiful game on PC. But prepare for some snarky comments.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't wanna start a stupid war but this is why PC is awesome. You could replace Mr. X with
Thomas the tank engine. What else do you want.

I am playing Mass Effect 3 like it's a god damn new remastered with Alot and other mods adding so many missions and context. Like how it should have been from the start.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
The "you can't play a game on easy mode" brigade will be out in full force.

I don't have time to spend hours trying to beat one level. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Imagine what Mike Matei would think of this, lol.

Enjoy your games as you want, as long as it's not cheating in multiplayer.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. I liked the regular game balance, but it's not for everyone.

I beat GoW 2018 on Give me God of War, but I was sad I couldn't drop the difficulty down to fight the final challenge boss. I just quit instead, because the grind bored me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you enjoyed the game, I would never do this but it's a single player game and modding games is awesome.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for you OP. Play it how you want. It would personally ruin it for with those huge buffs. I just finished Sekiro with Demon Bell and giving back Kuro's Charm just to make it even harder for myself lol

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
You can do whatever you want on a single player game to make it more fun for you.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I believe no one denies there's fun to be had on an easy mode on Sekiro or any From Soft game.

Apparently From is who wants you to have a certain experience and wouldn't work with an easy mode, they probably know you can have fun with it but they want to challenge you (my theory from what I've read).

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Get that framerate unlocker tool for higher FOV & auto pick up loot as well, you can really improve the Sekiro experience with that mod.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm serious. Even watching that video shows that he didn't even be bothered to learn simple mechanics like the mikiri counter. It just takes out the learning aspect of the game.

But to each their own, I suppose.
Sure but it doesn't affect anyone else. Who cares. OP wouldn't have played it otherwise.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
One of the biggest things i appreciate about PC Gaming is tailoring your experience as you see fit with mods like in here.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
You paid for a game, just like everyone else did. How you enjoy it is totally up to you, and while I didn't really feel the need for an easy mode, I can see how making the game more accessible the way Dark Souls and Bloodborne are, would've helped.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Nice, I'd never do this for a souls-type game since I like the difficulty in those but I absolutely did something similar for Resident Evil 2. Downloaded a mod that let you remove Mr. X from the game, still enjoyed it immensely after getting rid of that annoyance.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've yet to play Sekiro, but when I do, this is also my plan.

I think I'll try the dwfault difficulty first though, or try some other easy mode that's not too easy.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Most of those are whatever but "Do not die from terror" seems particularly egregious. Unless it's something like leaves you with 1% hp.

On the plus side, "Infinite Spirit Emblem" might actually improve the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You cheated yourself. You brought shame onto yourself and your family. By clamoring for such heresy as a cheat mode, you are bringing shame upon all of Resetera.

Repent, sinner.

OP
OP
newmoneytrash

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I believe no one denies there's fun to be had on an easy mode on Sekiro or any From Soft game.

Apparently From is who wants you to have a certain experience and wouldn't work with an easy mode, they probably know you can have fun with it but they want to challenge you (my theory from what I've read).
yeah, i understand that they intend for you to play it a specific way. when from easy mode discourse always pops up there are always people who say that an easy mode would just not work and would be hard, if not impossible, to implement. my experience showed that not only is that not true, but an easy mode has it's own merits

i'm not going to say that i finished sekiro the way other people finished sekiro, but i still finished sekiro and i wouldn't have done that any other way

You chated yourself. You brought shame onto yourself and your family. By clamoring for such heresy as a cheat mode, you are bringing shame upon all of Resetera.

Repent, sinner.
if i'm going down you all have to come with me

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm whatever about it, seems like a good way to sightsee the world/universe of the game and enjoy the ride without the "challenge" of its intended design.

The only time anyone would care or you'd have a "bruh moment" would be if you tried to have a nostalgia talk down the road with a fan of the game.

Imagine if Halo only had legendary difficulty by default, but you got a mod for an easy mode. You could not relate to how difficult/tense (for me at least, playing it as a kid) some moments were like getting to the next checkpoint one shot away from death. I personally had a blast playing Sekiro, some of those boss fights felt rewarding af after trying forever and failing. Just clapping those bosses without any challenge would not be a fun/rewarding experience to me so to each their own.

It's not like you're cheating a leaderboard or anything, I'm overall fine/whatever about this mod existing. You said you don't fuck with the parry dependent combat so this is a way for you to experience the story/universe of Sekiro.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to play Sekiro, but when I do, this is also my plan.

I think I'll try the dwfault difficulty first though, or try some other easy mode that's not too easy.

Me too. Planning to play the game normally first but if I got stuck will use mod. Just like I use summon/overlevelling/cheese when stuck in Souls/BB/Nioh.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, someone on the internet isn't impressed by how you play a game.
One time I was discussing on reddit how I beat dark souls 1 with a character that was level 1 (a level 1 pyromancer, or "onebro.") and I mentioned that I used pyromancy as part of my build. Some Internet random harassed me for hundreds of words because "using pyromancy isn't truly beating the game at level 1."

The truth is, no matter what you do in life, someone is going to be trying to feel better about themself by criticizing your choices. Other people are insecure, and a large portion of unkindness in the world can be best understood as insecurity.