• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I can't imagine feeling this upset and passionate about ANYTHING in games, let alone something like this.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Easily a dealbreaker for me, but I learned that if I played in Airplane mode then I wouldn't get the intro and then turned it off midgame, it would work as a workaround.

I mean... I still didn't play it because I don't like Splatoon's gameplay, but it was nice to know that there was a workaround for it.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It may sound petty lolol but I'm with OP. Just one of the many reasons I had to drop the game.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
That ain't nothing.

The worst is when you load up the game the watch the intro right before the stages rotate, making you watch the intro again. That's real shit.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
It's a really dumb design decision. It's the developers trying to force the meta in you, just like the Splatfest. It's garbage.

Other games do similar things - For Honor's conquest map comes to mind - but Splatoon's is especially long.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Splatoon 2 and keep playing it despite of this, but goddamn, it's such a stupid feature. It's particularly dumb that they don't let you skip them when you realize that they made Sheldon's weapon explanations skippable because they know people find them annoying.

Worst part is that I do find them charming and funny when I'm in the mood to read through them, but the forced repetition makes me hate them a little more each time.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
If you boot the game 6 times a week, which I imagine is pretty low for a core gamer someone playing it all the time, you waste over two and a half fucking hours a year watching that shit.

Some of us actually value our time, so please shut up.

Nonsense.

This isn't really detracting much from your precious time, and your response toward that poster was unwarranted.

Halfstar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Wish Octo Expansion were a separate release just to play it without watching the intro.
If you only want to play single player, just use the airplane mode, then the game skips the intro. While the game is loading, you can hold the home button for a second and turn Wi-Fi off. If you use an ethernet cable, you have to load the game undocked. It takes like two seconds to turn the internet off or on, and if you do it this way, the game doesn't even pause while you are turning it off.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If you only want to play single player, just use the airplane mode, then the game skips the intro. While the game is loading, you can hold the home button for a second and turn Wi-Fi off. If you use an ethernet cable, you have to load the game undocked. It takes like two seconds to turn the internet off or on, and if you do it this way, the game doesn't even pause while you are turning it off.
I didn't realise this works. The people who keep posting "It's masking a load" should pay attention to this post.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will wear the A button out from hammering it to get past these screens. Even if they would autoprogress, it would be better because I could just get up and come back when it's done. Instead, I have to sit there and press A just to advance the screens. It's annoying.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense.

This isn't really detracting much from your precious time, and your response toward that poster was unwarranted.
You gonna pay me for that time lost? No? Then don't bring it up. Again: some us actually value our time.

And yes the response was warranted. Dude isn't the magic sunflower he thinks he is posting the same condescending dogcrap scores of others have.

Dec 2, 2017
You guys saying it ruined your experience realize that MIGHT be the most childish complaint ever? In that minute you could:

Respond to this post, calling me an idiot.
Load up resetera to complain about this
Donate to a charity
Make something to eat
Do jumping jacks
Watch a video on the proper form to do jumping jacks
Clean your damn room

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is tedious and there are a large number of people online on various outlets who hate it and complain about it, yet I am not at all surprised to see a certain subsection of ERA insisting that it is nothing at all and you are odd for it bothering you.
That being said, the game is too good to let that put you off, it is very much a fantastic game worth diving into and spending many many many hours in.
Just make your voice heard and hope that they change it in future versions.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys saying it ruined your experience realize that MIGHT be the most childish complaint ever? In that minute you could:

Donate to a charity
Make something to eat
Do jumping jacks
Clean your damn room
Yeah and instead I'm being forced to waste that time watching a dumb video everyone skips through anyways.

So which is it? Could I be doing something productive and/or actually enjoyable instead or is it nothing?

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Donate to a charity
Make something to eat
Do jumping jacks
Clean your damn room
To be fair, I think you do have to hit the button to progress the dialogue so it's not like other games where you can wander off and do something else, but it is 30 seconds you can use taking a swig of a drink and shitposting on Twitter on your phone.

Splatoon is bad for this but to be honest wasted time is a feature of most online multiplayer games and part of why I'm trying to cut down in general - the queueing, and in other games the character select screens, that all adds up too. For every 30 seconds I lose in Splatoon I probably lose 3+ minutes queueing for a game in Overwatch and then being placed into a 'waiting for players' game. That's time I could be wasting on Era, taken from me.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
You gonna pay me for that time lost? No? Then don't bring it up. Again: some us actually value our time.

And yes the response was warranted. Dude isn't the magic sunflower he thinks he is posting the same condescending dogcrap scores of others have.

I don't follow that guy's post history, so don't a real opinion. Just thought your response was a bit extreme.

I think if Splatoon 2 is generally enjoyable, then a minor inconvenience doesn't solely justify dropping the game. I played Animal Crossing: New Leaf for hundreds of hours, and I know perhaps a small handful of them were padded by things one would label as "time-wasting".

It's weird for this to be a thread, but I agree that removing these intros would be just fine.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, sell it back?

It's part of the game, for better and worse. 30 seconds really isn't that big a deal, and absolutely not a deal breaker for a game that's really amazing; at least for me anyway.

Sounds like it is for you, so I'd just sell it back if I were in your shoes.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Donate to a charity
Make something to eat
Do jumping jacks
Clean your damn room
That minute is also a third of a Splatoon 2 online match, wasted instead skipping through a stupid intro with no useful information in it that isn't even hiding a load.
It's literally just there to waste time or for the crazies who enjoy reading the same 4 quips over and over.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but if the off the hook thing serves as a fun load screen, would you rather have a black screen with a bar that takes 30 seconds? Or some witty dialogue you can read?
It's not a loading screen. The game skips it entirely if you're not connected to the internet. It's just wasting your time for no reason.

Dec 2, 2017
That minute is also a third of a Splatoon 2 online match, wasted instead skipping through a stupid intro with no useful information in it that isn't even hiding a load.
It's literally just there to waste time or for the crazies who enjoy reading the same 4 quips over and over.
You are still complaining about a single minute of your life. It's so trivial. Your life is not worse because of it. Again, there are far better things to do in that minute.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait really? It literally happened to me yesterday. Maybe because the splatfest started?

It does happen sometimes, I don't think it's supposed to though. Once you start the game you normally see it once but sometimes I see it again I think if the stages rotate while the video is playing the first time but I'm not sure.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit weird to stop playing a game over 20-30 seconds of information to play another game that takes normally more than a minute to load.

I'm sure it is, but I'd rather watch a loading screen over those vids. I'm more disturbed over the lack of the option to skip, tbh. We all get to be irrational at times. Personally, I've seen lots of other complaints on the matter as well. Feel how you like though.

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
The intro is not hiding loading screen, if you're offline the hub is entered immediately from the title screen. Then if you go online you have to watch the intro when you're in the plaza. I also had times where the next rotation comes in whilst watching the intro and I have to watch it twice. It was cute at first but I would like to skip the damn thing.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
At least it's better when they change levels. In the first game every two hours you'd have to watch it. Now it's only when you first start up the game.

It doesn't bother me too much, but i get why it annoys other people. They need to add in a Sheldon-style skip to everything.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I know this may be a shock to you but there are other people in the world that aren't you, some of them may live in a different time zone and work different hours and even different days than you.

I was under the impression that there are different servers for the game based on your location, and Salmon Run's availability is adjusted for each one.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really dumb decision and one of the reasons I don't play Splatoon as often as other multiplayer games. It's annoying.