• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that an MCU Ms. Marvel show has been announced for Disney+, one point I was thinking about was how important her origin is for the character. And I really hope Kamala, alongside Lunella, and Kid Kaiju (If they ever get introduced in the MCU proper), remain Inhumans. Or at least they don't become mutants...

Ms-Marvel-TV-Show-Logo-Cropped.jpg

While mutants are cool and all, they tend to come with a piece of whole baggage about their future: Joining the X-Men or Magneto, replacing humans, hate propaganda, being chased by Sentinels, post-apocalyptic futures, etc.

Meanwhile there are people on Earth with dormant Inhuman genetic legacy on them, but honestly, the majority are never going to undergo Terrigenesis, and even if any Inhuman is welcome to be a citizen in Attilan they can easily deny the invitation. There is simply less in-universe hate for Inhumans and Nu-Humans since they are way more rare (And less prone to replace humanity in decades :v)

marvel1bj2p.gif

Those characters I mentioned are more likely to stand on their own instead of a team. There is simply no full united "Inhuman and Proud" front. But as individuals, those three all still seek belonging as part of their arcs. And it's OK there is no easy answer for them.

As for Ms. Marvel specifically, her Inhuman (alien) heritage is another way to extend the metaphor about how she feels isolated sometimes in her home (culturally). Plus, it was a brilliant move to be exposed to the Terrigen Mist in a moment of rebellion against her parents, it really adds layers to her. Instead of, y'know, simply reaching puberty, being sent to Westercher, and suddenly be surrounded by millions of mutants and rising.

kamf8jaa.jpg

Plus, the Kree-Inhuman link is great to have for a legacy character to Captain Marvel.

So, what do you think? What do you see happening to Kamala's origins in the MCU?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting them to keep her origin the same/similar, but not acknowledge that she's an Inhuman.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The hate for mutants but other super beings are seen as OK always was dumb. Oh she's an inhuman? Oh thats ok

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
No. Inhumans are already tarnished, and that's a hell of a lot of backstory to have to go through to explain/muddle with her powers. Just have her be a mutant (or someone born with powers if you don't want to use the word mutant) who adores Danvers and doesn't join the X-men.

And the fact that in-universe Inhumans are less reviled than mutants is just bad writing. Basically they allowed the terrigen mists to go all over the world and change people on purpose, so they can conscript them into their monarchy. Yeah, that's so much better than a school for people with powers.

Oh, and that cloud was killing mutants. But Cyclops is like a mutant Hitler for reasons. Yes I'm still salty.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She was only made an Inhuman in the comics because Marvel were trying to downplay the X-Men and boost the Inhumans at the time. The Inhumans work best as a secret society. Functionally, her being an Inhuman has never been a big deal outside of something like Inhumans vs. X-Men.

(I'm not expecting them to make her a mutant either.)

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep it extremely vague or don't bother with a backstory whatsoever. Not every character needs a backstory and sometimes narratively it's more interesting bringing them up later.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I hope they keep it extremely vague or don't bother with a backstory whatsoever. Not every character needs a backstory and sometimes narratively it's more interesting bringing them up later.
I'd agree for super strong and confident characters, but when self doubts are a big part of the character it's best to show the early part.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Inhumans don't exist in the MCU, though. Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans aren't part of the MCU.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
They could just adapt the first two volumes without changing much at all. Inhumans actually don't really need much explanation. I didn't even know Inhumans before hand but the comics themselves kind of explain themselves. Didn't need to know exactly who the characters were.

I need my Ms Marvel + Lockjaw.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Stark invented terrigenesis and accidentally set off a terrigen bomb in Jersey. Done! Matches up perfectly with all MCU origins.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They could just adapt the first two volumes without changing much at all. Inhumans actually don't really need much explanation. I didn't even know Inhumans before hand but the comics themselves kind of explain themselves. Didn't need to know exactly who the characters were.

I need my Ms Marvel + Lockjaw.

You don't think a gas that puts random people into cocoons and they come out with powers needs to be explained? Sometimes I think we forget how different the comics world is and how commonplace it is for there to be superhumans compared to the MCU.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kree experiment or something, that way it ties into Captain Marvel
That would be ideal, if they don't want to tackle the Inhuman side.

But her origin worked so well:
She has Pakistani heritage, but was born in New Jersey, USA.
She has Inhuman heritage, but was born in Earth. :v
It all blown up by chance because she disobeyed her parents, and she got out of her cocoon looking as her heroine. Being "someone else".
marvel-s-future-avengers-captain-marvel-1135845.jpeg

Plus, it was really cool to see her interactions with Medusa, Lockjaw, and all.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
You don't think a gas that puts random people into cocoons and they come out with powers needs to be explained? Sometimes I think we forget how different the comics world is and how commonplace it is for there to be superhumans compared to the MCU.
I mean, as I said, I'm not actually very familiar with Inhumans myself having literally being the first time being exposed to it reading Ms Marvel, I think it's not really something I think would be difficult to explain especially with all the weird events that happen throughout the films either and you just go along with it. Sure, superpowers aren't common place but it could be framed slightly different more of a freak accident incident and nothing would change much except make Kamala stand out more and being more isolated . In a way, it makes more sense since Kamala is personally not even aware what inhumans are so there's an opportunity to explain it further taking into account the difference in comic vs film worlds in a show if needed and audience uncovering who she is at the same time.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Future Avengers Season 2 :D

Marvel-Future-Avengers.jpg

Kamala gets to be an important supporting character.

I hope they release this and the others Marvel anime on Disney+ (All of them are English dubbed already)

Look to the past
As we head for the future
To reclaim the Avenger world.

With faith in ourselves
And trust in each other
We live by the lessons we've learned

As we work toward one solution
Through Avenger evolution!

Avengers!
Forever united as one
Avengers!
Together the battles are won

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the show is cancelled. There's a movie instead. Inhumans are retconned in the movie. The comics then follow suit and retcons the inhumans from her origin story.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason to even reference the Inhumans would be Lockjaw. Other than that... You don't need her to be an Inhuman or a Mutant, just a girl who gets superpowers.

The Inhumans probably have too much questionable baggage to deal with, really. There's at least one good reason Feige dropped the Inhumans movie immediately after Disney gave him full control of Marvel Studios, otherwise it would've been made by now instead of, well, ending up as that dreadful TV show, because Perlmutter wanted to spite Fox - I mean, they're using the significantly more obscure Eternals before the Inhumans, that's how much nobody at Marvel Studios wants to touch it with a ten-foot-pole.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think we do see the inhumans, but not so much inhuman society or the mutant replacement that Marvel TV tried to use them as.

Instead, I think we see the Inhumans in Captain Marvel through the lens of the Kree's imperialism.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Look to the past
As we head for the future
To reclaim the Avenger world.

With faith in ourselves
And trust in each other
We live by the lessons we've learned

As we work toward one solution
Through Avenger evolution!

Avengers!
Forever united as one
Avengers!
Together the battles are won

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I guess, but everyone on Earth in the comics knew who Ms. Marvel and then Captain Marvel was. Captain Marvel in the MCU seems to basically be a secret.

The entire militaries of Wakanda and New Asgard saw her in action, so I think word would spread. Plus it seems implied she did a fair deal of Avengers work in the five year gap before leaving for space right before Ant Man returned.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they use her powers in interesting ways. She should be the female Impossible Man or Warlock

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they keep a huge chunk of her first run sans the Secret Wars shit. I also hope they do the turning into objects thing and size shifting the current books have kinda shied away from lately.

Bw358k2IIAA7wcs.jpg

Kamalas-New-Moves-e1453767645874.jpg

tumblr_pbrqjhZFDL1qgc7t7o6_540.jpg

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
She's gonna get her powers from someone experimenting on an Infinity Stone

Nov 30, 2017
I think she will introduce the In humans. Her origin won't be because of a terrigen cloud circling the world like in the comics but being exposed to terrigen maybe by watching Carol battle the free or something.

Then we go on a journey of her becoming the hero till the end when she meets the Royal family.