• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Been playing a lot of Subnautica lately and damn, this game can be pretty damn scary without really trying. I love exploring and Subnautica does a good job of teaching the player to run away from combat since you don't really get rewarded and then bam, a reaper leviathan comes and roars.

And Ecco the dolphin is some scary shit.

maxresdefault.jpg

Soundtrack is eerie especially but so good.

But really, the deep ocean has some strange looking animals that fascinate and can look terrifying to me.

Pink See-Through Fantasia looks straight out of cosmic horror
eyb1obbfr7e11.jpg

Deep sea purple cucumber swimming around looking stupid and amazing

And this crazy thing looks like it's out of Flash Gordon

giphy.gif

or the inspiration for a xenomorph

200.webp

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Subnautica-- a crafting/survival game set entirely underwater---isn't even a horror game and it's horrifying.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Since you're already playing Subnautica, next step is Soma. Two of the best games this generation.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock isnt really scary but in the fiist game I got terrified when I first met those weeping angel like enemies.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
You probably want to check out Narcosis, its playable in VR as well. I didn't finish it but it was really unsettling and scary.

Only ÂŁ11.39 on Steam right now.

Nov 7, 2017
X-Com 2 gave me legit nightmares, although I'm not sure if that counts.
Both of the original X-COM games are accidentally amazing horror games in my opinion. UFO Defense in particular has a lot of really good ambient music tracks, and I've jumped many times just because a long period of relative silence was broken by alien plasma fire.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's literally my inspiration for this post. I'd love to try it in VR...maybe. I don't know if I can take it.
I dunno how I missed that, my bad. No wonder it sounded perfect for this thread, lol.

Ok, legit suggestion: Outer Wilds. It uses a spacecraft instead of a submersible, but the principles are the same. It's a really good example of how absence can be horrifying in itself. Though I'd advise against looking it up, because the game is literally about knowledge.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Dino Crisis 2 had nice and atmospheric underwater section.
If there is ever 3:rd part for the series I really hope there is more underwater in it. (Yes.. I know.)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not a horror game, but I've been enjoying Shinsekai from Capcom (its on Apple Arcade currently). Basically a Metroidvania game that takes place underwater - you have to watch your air supply and find materials to improve your suit so that you can descend ever further down into the depths. There's light combat against some generic sea creatures, but that part is honestly the least interesting part of the game. Its the isolated feel and great sound design that really do it for me.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
They could make an entire game based upon the water puzzles in the game Inside. Jesus those parts always got my heart pumping like crazy. Freaky stuff

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I dunno how I missed that, my bad. No wonder it sounded perfect for this thread, lol.

Ok, legit suggestion: Outer Wilds. It uses a spacecraft instead of a submersible, but the principles are the same. It's a really good example of how absence can be horrifying in itself. Though I'd advise against looking it up, because the game is literally about knowledge.

Played some of it thanks to Xbox Gamepass actually! Fun game. I do like it but never felt scared. I do like exploring though.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
You probably want to check out Narcosis, its playable in VR as well. I didn't finish it but it was really unsettling and scary.

I was just gonna post about it! It's a superb horror game with an opressive atmosphere and some nicely executed "tasteful" jump scares. One of my all time favs in the genre!

Another underwater horror-y game I like besides the ones that have been mentioned is Reveal the Deep. It doesn't have the type of monster designs that OP is asking for but it's an atmospheric little game. Super cheap too.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

I was just gonna post about it! It's a superb horror game with an opressive atmosphere and some nicely executed "tasteful" jump scares. One of my all time favs in the genre!

Another underwater horror-y game I like besides the ones that have been mentioned is Reveal the Deep. It doesn't have the type of monster designs that OP is asking for but it's an atmospheric little game. Super cheap too.

Oh awesome, they both look great. Reveal the Deep looks especially interesting and a focus on atmosphere while only a $1? I'll bite.

Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely underwater, but I doubt there is a more horrifying feeling than desperately trying to reach an air bubble in Sonic games as the timer counts down.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Soma plays underwater and has some nice sections where you walk on the sea floor. This critter was a pain in the ass.

When my memory serves me right you encounter this monstrosity when you are on your way to the deepest section of the underwater facility. I loved this part actually because you couldn't see very far and it made me feel disoriented because of it.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly there are far too few horror games set in the deep dark abyss. Soma is one of the best but you've already played it.

We really need a good submarine horror game where you explore something strange way down in the ocean's depths, a la The Abyss and Leviathan.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
OP, have you played Ecco on the Dreamcast? Some of the levels are super creepy and have cool monsters. Incredible game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Inside has some really great underwater segments.

I've thought about making an underwater JRPG for a while now which would definitely have some horror aspects. Only underwater JRPG I know of is Heroine Anthem which isn't very well known since it's Taiwanese & I don't think the first couple games were ever localized (Heroine Anthem Zero games on Steam are VERY different than how the series started out).