• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
OP, have you played Ecco on the Dreamcast? Some of the levels are super creepy and have cool monsters. Incredible game.

Literally mentioned in the OP. Some crazy stuff

Inside has some really great underwater segments.

I've thought about making an underwater JRPG for a while now which would definitely have some horror aspects. Only underwater JRPG I know of is Heroine Anthem which isn't very well known since it's Taiwanese & I don't think the first couple games were ever localized (Heroine Anthem Zero games on Steam are VERY different than how the series started out).

Oh yes! The crazy mermaid or whatever bashing itself is nightmare fuel.

We really need a good submarine horror game where you explore something strange way down in the ocean's depths, a la The Abyss and Leviathan.

Yeah. I really think a great old one or something hiding deep in the ocean can be made in a terrifying way.

I love this video (it's Blizzard I know. Screw them) especially when Azshara starts to panic. An underwater horror game with the water being as much a character is a dream of mine. I think any person can easily understand how scary it is to suffocate which only makes it a more effective tool to use.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Resident Evil Revelations, maybe. It takes place inside a ghost ship full of monsters known as the ooze, which are humans or animals infected with a virus, as per usual for the series.

12.jpg

It has some underwater sections too, since some parts of the ship are flooded.

Not super scary but it has some atmosphere and a very underrated soundtrack.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Resident Evil Revelations, maybe. It takes place inside a ghost ship full of monsters known as the ooze, which are humans or animals infected with a virus, as per usual for the series.

12.jpg

It has some underwater sections too, since some parts of the ship are flooded.

Not super scary but it has some atmosphere and a very underrated soundtrack.

I really loved this on 3DS. I wish Revelations 2 grabbed in as much.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Literally mentioned in the OP. Some crazy stuff

Oh yes! The crazy mermaid or whatever bashing itself is nightmare fuel.

Yeah. I really think a great old one or something hiding deep in the ocean can be made in a terrifying way.

I love this video (it's Blizzard I know. Screw them) especially when Azshara starts to panic. An underwater horror game with the water being as much a character is a dream of mine. I think any person can easily understand how scary it is to suffocate which only makes it a more effective tool to use.

The Ecco in the OP is the 2D classic. I was wondering if you'd tried the 3D one, I'm glad you did :)

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

metroidprimeguide_38.jpg

Always thought the underwater frigate in Metroid Prime was pretty creepy. Actually just about anytime you went underwater without the Gravity Suit was creepy. Game just nails atmosphere so well.