• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

malyse

Community Resetter
Okay, like, I'm totally aware that most people want new games for their new system, but I think there's a viable opportunity for success with older games on Switch. For example, it would be pretty ace to play through the Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Darksiders trilogies on the go. But that's not all! In addition to putting the old games on Switch, I propose they do the Skyrim/Bayonetta thing and put in Nintendo cameos. Why yes, I *would* like to play through Doom in Samus's Varia Suit. (Real talk: if they announce that Doom has a Samus mode, I 100% will buy it). I would love to have the Monado, the Falcion, and the Master Sword as weapons in Dragon Age. Nintendo's biggest strength is their IP and the fact that Mario Rabbids happened shows that they are willing to gamble.

I think that Nintendo's core base wouldn't have typically played things like ME or DA, so they would be much more likely to pick it up. I also think that should the, for lack of a better term, "Nintendo mode" be significant, people would tempted to double dip and rebuy games (especially if it's multiple games for $60 or a lower priced port like Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2).

I'm sure that there are other games that could have Nintendo cameo gear or characters (feel free to suggest them). Am I way off base or would you buy/rebuy games for Switch, particularly if they had added Nintendo cameo content?

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
So far, they are on the right track, what with Doom and Skyrim coming out. I hope they sell well because it could be the start of getting some great games on a portable piece of hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a bummer that Doom lacks a Samus skin/weapon.
Amiibo unlock would help add value to the figure and it would probably be a good promotion for Prime 4.
I think it would be smart to be more open to the idea for more games using amiibo (or not, I guess)

That being said, I'm not sure I want a bunch of old ports/collections.
Like, I'd love to get Platinum Game's library on there with some of their best being on Wii U, but I'm not sure ports like LA Noir will do much for the publisher or the platform.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why not. Though I'd be more interested in ports of arcadey games like sports and racing than long RPGs.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I agree. Normally I wouldn't care about port collections but I think Switch has two things going for it to make it appealing, which you address: portability and the fact that the typical Nintendo base may not have played these games before.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was able to sell as much as it did then sure why not.
True, MK8D sold well, but Pokkén DX didn't do that hot in North America (perhaps due to the competition that month). Then again, maybe Bamco didn't put too much money into the port anyway (outside of the money spent in the arcade version's additional characters).

On-topic, Nintendo's kinda already doing that with Skyrim & DOOM. Hopefully they continue to do that with other games.

CarlosX360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm all for ports from Wii U to Switch, but they have to be games that we're all interested in. I'd be interested in a Xenoblade Chronicles X being ported to Switch, for example.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
True, MK8D sold well, but Pokkén DX didn't do that hot in North America (perhaps due to the competition that month). Then again, maybe Bamco didn't put too much money into the port anyway (outside of the money spent in the arcade version's additional characters).

On-topic, Nintendo's kinda already doing that with Skyrim & DOOM. Hopefully they continue to do that with other games.
Skyrim yes, but how so with Doom? That's a pretty straight port, no?

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017

Which is too bad because the port is pretty great and the new fighters are phenomenal...especially Decidueye.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I wonder if high profile third party last-gen ports will be used to fill upcoming gaps in the first party release schedule. I would be amazed if Nintendo first party can keep up the blistering pace they have been on this year, especially with major internal teams releasing years-long projects recently. Ports could fill the schedule while the first party reloads.

dark souls and bayo please

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I NEED a Xenoblade Collection (Original in HD and X), Bayonetta 1&2 and Donkey Kong Country Collection (Returns in HD and TF).

Come on, nobody had a WiiU and even if they had one, they never bought games for it (Hell, I have a WiiU and never bought games for it, there was something about the console that was pretty unexciting). These games deserve a bigger audience.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Portable Dark Souls Trilogy with the Master Sword as an unlockable weapon.

Hell, I don't even particularly want a Switch but my interest would skyrocket if that became a thing for the sheer novelty of it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't even need collections ... Red Dead Redemption, GTA 5, Okami, Sonic Generations, Assassin's Creed Rogue, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks ....

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
The only 3rd party re-releases I want that have not been on a Nintendo system before are any of the Souls games. I used to dream about playing them on the go; now, however, there is a chance of it happening, and I am super excited. But I do think your idea is pretty legitimate and would probably do well (considering that games are selling pretty well on the Switch)

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Can Nintendo/Ubisoft get South Park: The Fractured But Whole (and maybe even the Stick of Truth) on the system ASAP? Because we know the snowdrop engine works, and Nintendo's base is pretty good about buying RPG/RPG-like games.

... I just really want to play The Fractured But Whole on Switch.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how well the Switch and their own games are selling without them, I doubt they have the incentive to.

Its telling that even when the Wii U began to flop, instead of courting 3rd parties Nintendo just went straight to work making the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Id buy the bayo 1/2 collection not only again, Id buy two copies physically and one digitally. hell Id send platinum my pancreas to show support

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about this a few days ago.i was thinking how awesome it would be to have all kinds of old PC games available on the Switch.

Imagine having Baldurs Gate 2, Half-Life, KOTR and so much more available on a portable device like the switch. Ups the convenience factor over a laptop by far.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I really think we will start to see more of this with the success the Switch has had in its first year. At least we can dream.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much money do I need to get Vanillaware to make a collection on Switch? (Odin Sphere, Muramasa, and Dragon's Crown at least, the updated versions obviously)

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
The NES and SNES classics happened. I wouldn't count on seeing any VC on Switch anytime soon.
I dunno. I think a not insignificant portion of people who bought the Classics already had VC versions of those games. Plus the Classics =! The Switch. The basic premise of this thread is people buying games that are readily available for the sake of minor enhancements. Portable gameplay is a minor enhancement that makes a repurchase viable.

-----

Wanna here a really crazy pipe dream? Switch Virtual Console that has PS1, PS2, and PSP ports.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I feel you, op. Having console ports on the go adds new life to them too, at least for me. As if I needed another reason to double dip or triple dip though.

Honeybees

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
FF XII and Persona 5 ports are always on my mind. I can wait for FF XII on PC, but I really don't want to have to buy a PS4 to play Persona. Both are ideal for handheld play as well.

How much money do I need to get Vanillaware to make a collection on Switch? (Odin Sphere, Muramasa, and Dragon's Crown at least, the updated versions obviously)

And +1 for what he said.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, a Vanillaware collection would be insane. I definitely think ports would sell well. I mean how many people would love to play Dark Souls on the go?

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I think something Nintendo has begun to take more seriously of late is the idea of "owning a genre" or "creating a market for a genre" on their platforms. What this primarily means is that a good chunk of the audience that likes a particular genre of games associates that genre with your platform, understands that there is a healthy market for said genre on your platform, and is hence comfortable investing their time and money into this genre on your platform.

An example of this is how Halo on the Xbox created a space for first-person shooters on that platform, which then carried over to the Xbox 360. Once the 360 hit, Microsoft made a notable effort to secure JRPGs for that platform. They funded Tales of Vesperia, worked out agreements for Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and so on. In essence, they tried to create a market for that genre on the Xbox 360. (Ultimately, this didn't work out for a number of reasons, but that's a separate discussion)

Now, Nintendo wasn't in the habit of doing this for a long time. For several years--basically the PS1 through the PS2--Nintendo had basically conceded the JRPG market to PlayStation. Japanese RPGs were a "Sony thing" for a multitude of reasons (including the relationship with Square Enix, Sony's shares in that company, Yamauchi's past statements, Nintendo's own lack of expertise/investment, and so on).

Once the Nintendo DS took off, though, it created the right circumstances for a number of publishers to begin releasing high quality JRPGs on it. It was a machine that didn't require an immense budget to work with. It was the device for playing videogames in Japan and the rest of the world. Atlus and Square Enix's early support for the DS was particularly great, with the remakes of FFIII, FFIV, new games like FFXII: Revenant Wings, and more. Once these games had found an audience, the presence of a healthy RPG market on the DS encouraged them and other publishers in Japan to put more RPGs on the DS, and as a result it ended up being one of the best platforms to play JRPGs on.

I believe it was around this time that Nintendo began to see the value of investing heavily in a specific genre on their platforms. They acquired Monolith Soft from Bandai Namco (and released the fantastic Soma Bringer on DS). They went out of their way to promote the Dragon Quest games on DS, and even handled the marketing and publishing of those games in the West. Around the same time, they had Intelligent Systems working on a [now cancelled] Fire Emblem game for the Wii that would have represented a major change for the series. They were in discussions with Bandai Namco for Tales support, Square Enix for Dragon Quest X, and of course eventually there was Xenoblade and The Last Story.

Cut to a few years later, and I think it's safe to say that Nintendo and Sony now share the JRPG market. Sony still holds a number of "high-presentation" games like Final Fantasy, Persona, and Tales on their systems, but Nintendo have made some significant strides of their own, particularly with a lot of the JRPG support that Nintendo 3DS received. (Bravely Default, Dragon Quest remakes, the Shin Megami Tensei games, Yo-kai Watch, the success of smaller-budget boutique games like The Legend of Legacy, and of course Fire Emblem) All in all, they've done a pretty good job of creating a space for Japanese role-playing games on their platforms and it definitely would not have happened without the investment and effort on their part. A lot of this is now carrying over to Switch.

With games like Doom and Skyrim and Rocket League, Nintendo are following a similar concept. They're going after notable games that will attract a certain kind of audience to their platform, and then hoping to leverage this audience to attract more such games in turn. So, with that in mind, I think the brands they should be looking at are:

• Call of Duty - This is the obvious choice. CoD is still the biggest multiplayer first-person shooter brand, and it actually did reasonably well on both Nintendo DS and Wii. I actually firmly believe these discussions have been underway for some time and we'll see next year's Call of Duty on the Switch.
  • Final Fantasy - Another very obvious choice. It has an audience on Nintendo platforms and is a successful JRPG brand, which will aid their efforts in that space. It's also a "high on presentation" game, which is important. FF15 would work here, but I think FF7 would be a much, much bigger deal. The question is when exactly the game is being released and when Sony's exclusivity arrangement for it ends.
  • Assassin's Creed - This one is trickier because we don't know what compromises would need to be made to get Origins running on Switch. The main goal would be to start attracting more of these third-person action game audiences to their systems. Uncharted is obviously off the grid and I'm not certain if Tomb Raider is a big enough deal to make a real difference. That leaves us with Assassin's Creed or Witcher 3, and I think it's more likely Ubi makes that effort than CDPR.
  • Diablo III - We've seen inXile say they're bringing games to Switch and the developers of Divinity 2 have expressed an interest, too. That said, I think if you want to create a market for those games you begin with Diablo. Blizzard have already done a pretty good job of optimizing Diablo III for consoles mechanically and in terms of UX. The game is also capable of running on older PCs, so Switch theoretically should do just fine.
  • The Witness - They need a (relatively) high budget independently-developed game, and I think The Witness fits this requirement very well. In lieu of this, Hellblade or even Supergiant's next game would work, too. This is something they lack at the moment, even though the indie support on the eShop has been fantastic.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
My most wanted port would have to be Diablo 3. The complete edition with all DLC included. Man, I could see myself spending a lot of time with that.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm right there with you. I'd love to see collections & ports on Switch. The idea of console games on the go is still a huge seller for me.