Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
For people new to the term, from that same tweet chain:

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
There's not a lot of context there and I don't have twitter. Hard to tell if he's being genuine or facetious from that one tweet. It would be a bummer if he was posting with bad intentions.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is that a meme or a genuine post? I mean, I've honestly not heard the term chestfeeding before and my super progressive work still has a "breastfeeding" room

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I knew everyone from that show who didn't become famous would do stupid shit. So basically everyone from that show.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
For people new to the term, from that same tweet chain:

One of the common rhetorical devices for bigots of all forms is to turn gentle suggestions (like "some people prefer chestfeeding or nursing or breastfeeding, we accept all of these terms") into oppressive commandments "oh great, I can never saying breastfeeding again, thanks trans people!".

It's always disingenuous, and it always sucks.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
Well that's disappointing but more context would be nice.

I knew everyone from that show who didn't become famous would do stupid shit. So basically everyone from that show.
Yeah Steve Carell, John Krasinski, Mindy Kaling, Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms sure are all trashbags.

Are there any more examples you'd like to cite or.....

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
What a piece of shit.

And if anyone wants to try being charitable towards this just stop. He would not frame it as "TIL you can no longer..." and "you have to say" if he was just stumbling across some new terminology that he wasn't aware of, the framing is the meaning.

One of the common rhetorical devices for bigots of all forms is to turn gentle suggestions (like "some people prefer chestfeeding or nursing or breastfeeding, we accept all of these terms") into oppressive commandments "oh great, I can never saying breastfeeding again, thanks trans people!".

Exactly.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Yep. A common word or phrase is now cancelled! The radical Left at it again.

They also do this shit for thing like pancake syrup. Always up in arms about some change that has zero effect on their life but boy are they angry about it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That tweet is hard to get a read on in light of all of the anti-racism stuff he posts.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's disappointing but more context would be nice.

Yeah Steve Carell, John Krasinski, Mindy Kaling, Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms sure are all trashbags.

Are there any more examples you'd like to cite or.....

Honestly, John Krasinski does suck with his absolute love of the CIA

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That's definitely not a good look at first glance. It definitely reads as if he's belittling people who use the term 'chestfeeding.'

I would like some more context though. Is there another social media post that came before this that I'm not seeing?

Also, the framing of the OP is strange. It feels like you made the thread just to shame people for liking The Office, not to talk about the tweet in question.

Not sure why that comment was necessary or even relevant to the tweet. It's just antagonist for no reason.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair I know a lot of left-leaning people who point out sometimes the inclusive language has an effect of distancing issues from folks.

His post does come across as more the usual right wing "the left is at it again!" but none of his other posts seems to lean that way so, kind of no big deal at this point. Does he even act much anymore?

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
It could be a genuine PSA. I hope Rainn isn't a person that would belittle others due to not wanting to adapt to more inclusive terminology.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I kinda feel like there needs to be more before ppl start calling him a piece of shit, trash bag and other things. Are there more tweets, has he said terrible things before or is this the one tweet?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
He's welcome to clarify it at any point. Until then it just reads like any other idiot turning suggestions around inclusive language into a whine about things going too far. In its current form it's definitely going to register with that crowd more than anyone else.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It could be a thing making fun of it, or it could just be a genuine "this is what you should do" thing. People do make those types of statements even though "you can't say this anymore" in earnest at times even though its the wrong way to frame it. Including in progressive spaces

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That tweet is hard to get a read on in light of all of the anti-racism stuff he posts.

Yeah, and Rainn is kinda an odd dude. He very well might be being a piece of shit. But, having heard him speak about shit on podcasts here and there, he could genuinely be saying that as a PSA. He is definitely gonna need to hop back on and explain himself, though.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah, that's where I'm at currently. I follow Rainn on Instagram and he's always posting progressive stuff. I'm going to wait to see what the follow-up is on this.
I dont know, I think somebody sincere would not say things like "you can no longer say", or, "you have to say". That is the way the Right tends to bitch about these things acting like people are forcing things on them.

But, I would be happy to be wrong, it is easy to be misunderstood on twitter.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If it was a genuine PSA I have a feeling it wouldn't be in the tone of "you can no longer say" and come out of the blue without further context.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Always important to note that people who act as allies in some regards can turn around and stab you in the back in other ways.

I would HOPE this is just a badly worded tweet, but who knows. Maybe he's progressive in a lot of ways but doesn't respect trans folks. I need a bit more information.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I dont know, I think somebody sincere would not say things like "you can no longer say", or, "you have to say". That is the way the Right tends to bitch about these things acting like people are forcing things on them.

I agree. More than anything else though, Rainn has to answer clearly & plainly for this, and I'm confident he will.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Rainn seems progressive in all his social media posts and has a decent rack record of such posts if I recall correctly. I think I'll reserve judgment until I see him comment on this. Maybe he's being genuine.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Always important to note that people who act as allies in some regards can turn around and stab you in the back in other ways.

I would HOPE this is just a badly worded tweet, but who knows. Maybe he's progressive in a lot of ways but doesn't respect trans folks. I need a bit more information.
I remember the days I used to love Rowling for constantly shitting all over Trump..

Not to shit up the thread but yeah, I think we know even progressives can be bigots in some ways.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
A person can be both progressive on some issue but be a total bag of noxious excrement on another. The "good" part doesn't wash away the other disgusting mess IMO.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
If it was a genuine PSA I have a feeling it wouldn't be in the tone of "you can no longer say" and come out of the blue without further context.
This.

It reads like he was called out for saying "breastfeeding" and he's being a snarky shit about it. I hope this isn't part of a larger pattern.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that Wilson is posting this as a genuine FYI is kinda undercut by the absolutist way he's framing this. "You can no longer say"?

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
I also just learned this. From this very thread. Does that make me transphobic too? I mean, maybe he is being honest. Maybe it's worded a bit obscure.

Edit: on second thought,

Re-reading his tweet is a bit condescending.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
there is no need for twitter, i have resetera, where i can hear all about the latest tweets, and what to think about them

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

I think I have seen people address concerns that way. But they're usually younger people on tumblr or something. It'd be something like "hey so just so you know, [X] is a racist POS, don't bring them up in this discussion"

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Something about this just reads like a thing that can be taken multiple ways. I get why people would be defensive about it right away though since it unfortunately also reads like the way bigots phrase their BS.

Will wait and see what his intended message behind it was before anything else because it's kinda confusing.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I think people will just read what they want to read here without context

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I also just learned this. From this very thread. Does that make me transphobic too? I mean, maybe he is being honest. Maybe it's worded a bit obscure.

Edit: on second thought,

Re-reading his tweet is a bit condescending.
Wording is very important, especially when you have a couple of millions following you.
He's not a stranger to media and how his words can effect other people, that's what makes it so likely to be transphobic instead of a normal TIL tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.