• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Isn't China the second biggest revenue stream for MS after the US? Obviously that's not mostly from gaming, but they are buying something from them. So I could see them buying games in future too.
When you have steam offering games for almost nothing in China and most Chinese gamers plays gaas games like league of legendes and pubg which are downloaded through their own store there really is no reason for anyone to buy stuff from the MS store.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Highly doubtful. Switch seems most poised to dominate, unless Microsoft makes a shift away from hardcore games and everything. I get what you mean with streaming, but are those experiences what the Asian market is looking for?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
When you have steam offering games for almost nothing in China and most Chinese gamers plays gaas games like league of legendes and pubg which are downloaded through their own store there really is no reason for anyone to buy stuff from the MS store.
I think Blizzard games are big too. And Microsoft definitely should do more PC focused games if they want to grow their presence there. I don't think Gears Tactics and Age of Empires cuts it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see even more PC games from them in the future, if what they've been talking lately has any truth to it (increased PC efforts). Microsoft is definitely the most multiplayer and service oriented from the big three, with their first party titles too.

And aren't Chinese playing Ubisoft's Rainbow Six too, atleast there was that huge controversy about them altering the game for that market. Ubi also seems to think that market as a big potential growth for them. From their own report
In the short and medium term, Ubisoft has many growth opportunities to tap and expects further profitability increases. Our digital transformation is progressing at a faster pace than we anticipated. Our potential in the PC and mobile markets is massive, notably in China. Finally, we are continuing to develop and structure our esports offering, which represents a significant opportunity.

Edit: According to PC Gamer Steam's traffic was 10% from China with around 17 million users in 2017 and it was said to be growing quickly. (2018 they passed 30 million it seems)
Edit 2: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-24-minecraft-reaches-100-million-downloads-in-china 150 million downloads for a Microsoft game ain't nothing to scoff at imo.

Last edited:

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
MS will certainly gain ground, but they dont need to dominate Aisia at all to do well.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
CDEzasK.gif

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I live in South East Asia and I feel like I'm the only who owns an Xbox One and plays Halo, Forza, Gears.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Do you know people playing Microsoft games on PC or mobile?
No, most of the gamers I know are either PS4 players. Most of the PC gamers I know play Fortnite, PUBG, Apex and Steam games. And the Nintendo community here is pretty big too. From my experience, I have not met a single Microsoft/Xbox enthusiast among my gaming circles.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you could give me the most favorable odds ever and I still wouldn't spend a dime betting on that ever being true

this take just comes off as delusional

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Microsoft was actually "dominating" this gen. This place would be a hellhole omg.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What is Xcloud again? It's ms streaming platform, right? Imo, currently, streaming presents a higher barrier of entry than your tried and true console hardware. Internet speed, latency and internet cap will put streaming away for a couple more years at least. Maybe the next next generation is where it'll pay off.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Do your research. The ps4 has seen huge growth across Asia this gen. Sony putting in work. Ps Now is on pc so if they expand that to more Asian markets they'll get a lot of subs. I also believe it's returning to mobile.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yes because ms is always winning. Only winning. Of course.

They'll have to make an effort and earn it. They aren't just going to steamroll everyone because microsoft.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Next Microsoft will be leaping tall buildings in a single bound and signing up for Game Pass will earn you an extra 6 inches on your dick

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
87d.gif

Microsoft with the help of Nintendo can definitely establish a foothold.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft is not dominating Asia. Not even fucking close. Also you vastly overestimate the Internet infrastructure of Asia, except maybe Japan, and Japan don't know what XBOX is.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I respectful disagree.

With the caveat that I do expect them to do better by putting xCloud on Switch. I think they'll be better positioned to make more money than they ever have from Asia but still being below their competitors overall.

Asia just....flat out doesn't like them.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Streaming will likely be a huge factor in the overall Asian market in the coming decade, but Microsoft is still going to have to topple the giants of the tech sector to get there. Samsung appears to be teaming with Valve. Google will have their own service. Apple will follow suit. Tencent will inevitably aquire somebody to get a peice of this future.

Microsoft can stand out from these competitors because of the XBox brand - but that only works in territories where that brand is relevant. So I expect them to lead the field in streaming domestically - but they wouldn't be my first pick for the global market leader.

All that said, Microsoft can make a lot of impact in the next few years if they successfully roll out their next gen offerings in territories where streaming is going to be a big deal. Make that brand worth something now, and it'll mean everything in a decade's time.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
People have gone insane already and not a single thing has been announced yet. Aaahh... smells like new console generation.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Hahhahahahhahahahahahahahah

The only time Microsoft dominated any Asian market was when 360 discs could be pirated with your dvd burner.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
The Xbox has fuck all presence in most parts of Asia. They would need to spend a enormous amount of cash and be as proactive as Sony to even gain a footing there and even then it may not work.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Perhaps OP needs to do some research with regards to the Asian markets before putting down this flag.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Right, this would be specifically about Japan like I said. The other systems and games are all doing well and Xbox is not, this would be a way to get more revenue from japan.
But Xbox is not doing well in Japan because the games Xbox is providing are not games the Japanese audience wants. And mutliplatform games exist on the past without streaming. Sure you'd probably get like a 50k "sales" for the biggest games of streaming on the 3ds or switch so far is any indication but it's not gonna make you dominate the market.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
But Xbox is not doing well in Japan because the games Xbox is providing are not games the Japanese audience wants. And mutliplatform games exist on the past without streaming. Sure you'd probably get like a 50k "sales" for the biggest games of streaming on the 3ds or switch so far is any indication but it's not gonna make you dominate the market.
Of course, I said no way in my first post. Thinking anything with Nintendo is going to lead to all of Asia would be foolish. I think for whatever deal they make with Nintendo though will absolutely lead to some easy money. As you said not a lot but enough that any kind of deal is worth it for the exposure.

EDIT; looking at my first post I see I didn't indicate I was talking about Japan and not all of Asia like this topic is about. My mistake.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a sound argument but it's way too dependent on streaming which isn't good especially on 3rd world countries like ours. maybeeee the next next gen